• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weight gain at WDW?

I'm pooh sized (as it's called here) and when we went in January (no free dining) I gained a few pounds. I've lost about 40 pounds in the last year, but when I go on vacation I gain(no matter where). While walking all day, not the same as exercising at home. On top of that, I eat more snacks. I eat the same breakfast and dinner but add more at lunch and at night. Plus I like to drink while on vacation so that doesn't help.

It's almost an impossibility to gain five pounds in a week at Disney. That means you'd have to consume around 24,500 calories MORE than what your body requires for maintenance and the exertion of a Disney day.

Okay, so I guess it IS possible, if you ate 75 Mickey bars in a week, on top of your normal food consumption...

(It's all water retention, from the sodium.)

I think it may be the sodium and maybe even muscle gain. I will say it comes off pretty easy after I come home.

It's almost an impossibility to gain five pounds in a week at Disney. That means you'd have to consume around 24,500 calories MORE than what your body requires for maintenance and the exertion of a Disney day.

Okay, so I guess it IS possible, if you ate 75 Mickey bars in a week, on top of your normal food consumption...

Oh no! Another calorie in calorie out theorist! Someone hold me back... What about insulin and blood sugar? Sighhhh.... I wish it were a simple matter of math. It most certainly is not for everyone tho... You definitely can gain 5 pounds in a week and the inches I have added are more obvious then the scale and we are talking more than salt or water retention... Increase the sugar and carby stuff and you will definitely add weight around the middle, cals or otherwise, although the exercise helps mitigate it somewhat...

Oh no! Another calorie in calorie out theorist! Someone hold me back... What about insulin and blood sugar? Sighhhh.... I wish it were a simple matter of math. It most certainly is not for everyone tho... You definitely can gain 5 pounds in a week and the inches I have added are more obvious then the scale and we are talking more than salt or water retention... Increase the sugar and carby stuff and you will definitely add weight around the middle, cals or otherwise, although the exercise helps mitigate it somewhat...

No, it's not as simple as cals in/cals out, but without knowing specifics of the people posting, it's a fairly accurate guess.

If one week of poor eating while getting more-than-the-average exercise could add five pounds of actual, permanent mass, then entire continent of North America would be 900 lbs.

What do you think the average weight gain is over the Christmas period? Most people will say they gained 5-8 pounds, when in reality, it's closer to one pound. That's it. And that's over-eating in a largely sedentary setting.

So no, five *permanent* pounds isn't likely going to happen.

For me, it entirely depends on how my habits at home have been. If I haven't been actively trying to lose weight in the weeks leading up to the trip, then the walking and the indulgences tend to cancel each other out and I don't gain an ounce.

If I have been eating better/exercising more before I go, then I do tend to come back heavier. On one trip in particular, I "gained" 11 pounds over a 9-day trip. Water weight? At least partly, I'm sure. Either way, I go back to my pre-trip habits when I get home, and it's gone again in a couple of weeks. And I'd rather do that than worry about trying to eat better while on vacation.

We ALWAYS gain while at Disney, and I agree with other posters that it is mostly water weight. With the heat and humidity, no matter how much walking, you tend to "get puffy" after day 3. I am sure I am not drinking enough water even while carrying around water most of the day, so my body compensates by hanging on to what it gets. Once I am back home, I lose about a pound a day until I am very close to normal. Of course, if I am eating WAY more food at the parks than I do at home, I will stay a pound or so heavier, but most times I go back to my pre-trip weight within a week if I return to my normal eating habits (which can be hard to do sometimes).

A tip I'll share, that a lot of people already know, is that you can get a free cup of ice water at any kiosk/counter service that has a soda dispenser. It is usually the regular sized cup, so you get plenty of water to quench your thirst! Much more refreshing than a bottle, and getting it free encourages you to drink more often.

OP, I'm going to stay in to safe territory and sum it up from experience this way:

Work hard leading up to your trip, build your stamina and your muscles, you will need it! Lose some weight if you want and can be healthy.

When you get on your trip, be active, make good choices and then have a great time! I mean, its basically a week of your life and a very special one you have looked forward to. Really, you can't do THAT much harm in one week.

The real weight gain can happen when you get home and the fun is allllll over and that's when I have fallen off my routine. One week is fine, one month or three? Yeah that is where the gain comes in. Dont do what I did and drown Itropical coconut rum every night to feel like I was still on vacation ! That sugary stuff gave me a belly for the first time in my life (we are thigh kinda gals...)

Anyway since I have been home, I've still been active but I've struggled with some carb addiction after all the rich food, and I gained some since I've been back. But just as quick, I've almost gotten it off. Most important is that I'm not viewing it as "its all over", I'm viewing it as I know I'll be going again (prob not for another 18 months but no point in gaining it just to have to lose it again so I might as well keep up with it). It took me 5 months to lose 20 pounds and I've gained about 4 but I'm still running and working out and picked back up my mermaid training and it's already coming back off. 3-4 is no biggy but I'm determined not to get my 20 pounds back (and at my worst, it was add another 16 to that, almost 40 pounds.)

Bottom line, enjoy your trip, and when its over, its pick it right back up and keep going, soldier!

I think I only gained about 4 pounds on my last 7 day trip. I was actually quite happy with this number b/c carbs are not my friend. I lost 23 lbs last fall in 6 weeks of eating the Whole 30 plan and honestly don't remember ever feeling better. I can think about eating a Dole Whip or Mickey rice krispie treat and gain 5lbs so only gain 4 wasn't bad. My problem was I went beginning of Dec and when I got back it was Christmas craziness and then the winter that never ended and just had no motivation until now. Back to eating paleo and I know I'll be down weight wise for my next trip in Oct. My advice would be to enjoy yourself but get back on track asap once you get home.

We were there this past Feb for 2 weeks on the DDP & I gained only 1 lb. I definitely splurged on the food as it was our first time on the DDP, & I did not restrict my calories at all lol. With all the walking & pushing the stroller, that offset the extra calories I was eating!

So tell me some honest answers...did you put on weight while you were on your WDW vacation? We will only be there for 5 days (3 park days) but I'm sure with the FD we will be eating A LOT, quantity wise and calorie wise. I'm hoping all the park walking will help get rid of some of that but I'm curious if I will come home heavier than I left. :confused3
Yes...five pounds. I had a pair of jeans that I wore on the way down and when I put them on the day we left they were t-i-g-h-t. I'm in my forties and am not a frequent exerciser so I think that my metabolism is very slow. I eat dessert maybe once a week so I think that was the deciding factor on that trip. I'm doing free dining this trip (quick service) and am going to plan my meals more carefully and plan to skip dessert most of the time.

It's normally a wash for me largely because of all the walking, but I also try and eat lighter for breakfast and lunch and go all out in the evening.

Actually,
Water retention is most likely from glycerol. Increased intake of carbs cause this quite easily. Increase blood sugar, insulin goes up and water retention goes up. Glycerol binds with water and excess is quickly stored away. Use up the glycerol (sugar alcohol), the water comes off.

This is why those that start low carb diets quickly (usually) lose ALOT of weight. Most of it is water. As the body uses up it's sugar reserves the bond between the water and glycerol is broken and the water is released to the kidneys.

We usually do deluxe dining- so either a table service breakfast or lunch plus a signature dinner. So a LOT of food, plus snacks. My fitbit says we also walk 7-10 miles per day. I always take running clothes....but have yet to run while there (except for the Tower of Terror 10 Miler trip ) :)

All that being said, the scale is usually up a couple of pounds the day after we get back- but within a day or two it's always back to normal (or even lower) so I really think it's water retention and way more sodium than I'm used to!

I usually do OK at wdw because of all the walking. I usually break even, but we usually do not get dining plan either. We will eat at one TS meal daily, but we are not dessert people and usually drink water or alcohol (no soda). Typically for other meals we either snack or get something back at the resort. A Disney cruise on the other hand.......

I PROMISE you that you cannot gain (actual fat weight, maybe water and bloat) 10 pounds in 10 days. It doesn't happen that fast!!!!!!!!! You should be walking a lot to offset all the bad stuff.

I had 5 pina colodas, 3 cupcakes and we ate 6 TS on a 4 day, 3 night trip and I didn't gain a pound.

I lost 10 pounds over 20 days last year! I admit I eat mostly salads and I don't eat meat but I did eat one snack a day (and those were ice cream or sugar loaded candy) so it all balances out. We walked a LOT, sometimes two or three loops around EPCOT, so that helped me keep the weight ff and lose a few more in the course of those 20 days.

I tend to actually lose a few lbs. Granted, we don't stay on property so no dining plan but do eat more than I'm used to. But, I don't over indulge and eat the desserts in moderation. All the walking and running to get FPs was more exercise than my body was used to :)

I always gain 3-6 lbs on a 1-2 week vacation. Unfortunately, it comes off a LOT slower than it went on because I find it hard to kick the "bad food" habit when I come home.

When on DDP, I have always gained 5-7 lbs during our 10-11 day trips. REALLY. I drink protein shakes for breakfast and lunch at home, and run 5-6 miles per day. When at Disney those character meals/buffets kill me. Even if I get salad, which I do A LOT, or at least try to go with the healthiest options (no cheeseburgers and fries here) its more than I'm used to. Plus the walking really doesn't make up for it because I'm used to running. I am currently at a all time low in weight loss, but plan on losing 5 more before September, so my clothes still fit when I get home:rotfl: Also so I wont feel guilty eating all that FREE FOOD.

I had the same sort of weight gain. I also do protein smoothies for breakfast and run 3-4 days a week, plus walk the dog 1-2 miles a day. My clothes were TIGHT after our week in Disney last year. I am definitely going to have to go on a pre-Disney diet for our next trip just so that I can grow into my clothes by the end of the week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter