Weight and Jean Size

snapppyd

God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy!
Let me start by saying I am not fat shaming anyone. Just a question.

Last night I turned to Extreme Weight Loss and the woman said she was now a size ten jeans. I believe they said she was at 179 pounds.

I wear size ten and I weigh 133 pounds (I'm 5'6"). I can't understand the disparity. I am not "that" pear shaped.

So ladies, if you will, what is your weight and jean size? I was a size six when I got down to 118 pounds a few years ago.

When I was 120-125 pounds for many, many years, I wore a size 8. Then I had kids and I won't tell you how much I weigh.

I cannot imagine being a 180 or so and wearing a size 10 though. That doesn't even make sense.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I'm thrilled when I can actually do up my size 10 jeans at 140lbs. I can't wear them comfortably though.

I am not convinced your weight always correlates to size. I wear size 4 in pretty much everything (every once in awhile 6 in a tighter fitting pencil skirt and sometimes a 2 in skirts and dresses that do not hug the hips) and I am not talking about squeezing into things with muffin tops. However, I am about 5'6" and about 138-140 (sometimes I can get to below 135). I run or lift weights 5-6 days a week and have for years. I am very "solid." I mean even at weigh ins at doctors they are surprised by my weight. I think part of it for me is I carry in more in my butt, thighs and calves. For example, it is hard for me to sometimes find a cute pair of denim capris because in order for them to fit my calves, they will not stay up on my waist.

Last edited:
It can depend on the body shape, I was once down to 150, but could get in a size 10, 15 years ago, then just a few years ago(after having a child, and not watching what I eat and working out), I was in the 170-180 and could get into a size 10. It's going to depend on jean maker and body shape. I have no hips and no rear end ;), I am classically apple shaped, much bigger on top then on bottom. Even now, I can fit into linen shorts from Old Navy, size medium, but my tops are xl-xxl, or 2x.

Oh, and just vanity sizing too. Clothes makers have changed sizing of their clothing also.

It sucks!

Editing to add, I am 5'4'', and in the 180's for weight. I do not wear my clothes too tight, and have my teenage daughter give the stamp of approval that nothing I wear is indecent before I walk out the house. I probably do wear my tops a little bigger then needed, as, for me personally, I don't like my up top fat rolls showing in the shirt. I am not shaming anyone else, please don't misunderstand, it's a comfort thing for me.

Ahem, IF I weighed 161, which I'm not saying I do, then I would (do) wear a size 10 jeans, or even an 8 in some big-cut ones like Faded Glory. I bought a new pair of (higher end) Lois jeans on the weekend and they are sized by waist, which I'm not accustomed to so I had to try a few on. I ended up in a 29".

Eh, weight and size is a very weird thing.
I wear a much smaller size than you'd think if you knew my weight. I'm 5'1, I'm about 140-145 and wear a 6 (comfortably, not squeezing into a too small size). If I get under 140, I'm a 4. Yeah, I don't know.
It must be all about body type. I'm very hourglass.

It's definitely based on height and body type. I weighed 117 and was a 2 but I'm also 5'2" maybe 5'3" on a good day

It depends on shape and build. I wore a size 8 at 145lbs when I was younger, but I was very athletic and have a very solid (I'd use big boned, but that's such a cliche!) build. I've always looked "lighter" than I am. Even now, at a weight I won't disclose publicly, I wear a smaller size than women in my exercise group who weigh 20-30lbs less than I do because I still have that solid frame, am still active enough to have a fair bit of muscle, and gain weight all over rather than in a single problem area that would have me bumping up (or dropping down) sizes with relatively small weight fluctuations.

ETA: It also depends on the jeans. My current jeans rotation includes three different sizes, all of which fit well, because in different brands and cuts it takes a different size to get the same fit. A 10 from the Gap isn't the same as a 10 from Abercrombie.

Eh, weight and size is a very weird thing.
I wear a much smaller size than you'd think if you knew my weight. I'm 5'1, I'm about 140-145 and wear a 6 (comfortably, not squeezing into a too small size). If I get under 140, I'm a 4. Yeah, I don't know.
It must be all about body type. I'm very hourglass.
This is EXACTLY me, only 20# heavier and 2 sizes bigger. Hey, that begs the question...is an 8 two sizes bigger than a 6 or one size, since there is no size 7?:scratchin

As a larger girl, I can attest to the fact that it's all about where your body puts it.

I'm a size 18 and I was a size 18 30 pounds ago, too.

If I were to weigh 180, I would probably LOOSELY fit a 16 and TIGHTLY fit a 14. But I know people who have absolutely NO extra weight in their bottom half, carrying all of it above the hips. I can potentially see them fitting into smaller sizes at the same weight.

I know that even if I lost ALL the weight I should lose and then some, I probably will never fit in anything smaller than a size 10. I have wide hips, and the first place weight likes to go is around my butt and hips. The last time I was a size 8 was probably high school, and I would have weight less than 120 pounds.

Let me start by saying I am not fat shaming anyone. Just a question.

Last night I turned to Extreme Weight Loss and the woman said she was now a size ten jeans. I believe they said she was at 179 pounds.

I wear size ten and I weigh 133 pounds (I'm 5'6"). I can't understand the disparity. I am not "that" pear shaped.

So ladies, if you will, what is your weight and jean size? I was a size six when I got down to 118 pounds a few years ago.
I think it varies widely by company. I agree though I was always confused by how low the jean sizes seem compared to weight on those shows.

Personally, I can say that Gap and Old Navy jeans run large. I am a comfortable 10 short in their product. Other places I am more like a 12 to 14.

I usually stick with Old Navy

Also, to help you with your research I'm 5'1" and 157.

It is not really your weight but your distribution of weight and your build. I can say at 190 pounds and 5'7" that I comfortably wore a size 12 jean and a size medium top.

Thank you for the honest answers. Being "in shape" obviously makes a huge difference. I don't work out at all. My weight goes to my stomach these days (I'm 58) so I'm sure that ups my sizing. DH can gain 20 pounds and wear the same pants because men's stomachs rest above the waist of their pants. I would love to get back down to an 8, I guess I better start walking! :snail:

I could wear size 8 or 10 until I was about 140. I am 5'9". No way at 180. LOL. No way.

Unless they are REALLY expensive, vanity sized jeans. I'm talking Levi's when I say I could wear a size 10. I now wear a 12, and am a few pounds more than 140. LOL.

I go with comfort...I can wear a 12 in lots of jeans but the 14 is ahhhhhhh, so much nicer! 5'9, not giving the weight number. It's all muscle anyways :rolleyes1:D:rotfl:

I'm 5'9" and 125lbs and wear a size 4 (translates to a size 26 or 27 in jeans), but I do have a few pair of size 6 (28) jeans from back when I was 140lbs-145lbs that still fit me comfortably.

Vanity sizing is a trip. I have two pairs of size 25 shorts from Guess that fit like a dream. I haven't worn a size 25 since freshman year of high school.

It can depend on the body shape, I was once down to 150, but could get in a size 10, 15 years ago, then just a few years ago(after having a child, and not watching what I eat and working out), I was in the 170-180 and could get into a size 10. It's going to depend on jean maker and body shape. I have no hips and no rear end ;), I am classically apple shaped, much bigger on top then on bottom. Even now, I can fit into linen shorts from Old Navy, size medium, but my tops are xl-xxl, or 2x.

Oh, and just vanity sizing too. Clothes makers have changed sizing of their clothing also.

It sucks!

Editing to add, I am 5'4'', and in the 180's for weight. I do not wear my clothes too tight, and have my teenage daughter give the stamp of approval that nothing I wear is indecent before I walk out the house. I probably do wear my tops a little bigger then needed, as, for me personally, I don't like my up top fat rolls showing in the shirt. I am not shaming anyone else, please don't misunderstand, it's a comfort thing for me.

:confused: I'm the same height , have a medium body frame, and about 174 (+/- a pound or two) and am into a size 16/18 petite. I say both sizes b/c it seems my legs are in a size 18 but my hips and waist area is a size 16 :confused3. IMO, I think everything changed when low riders became popular in the 1990's. All my pants and jeans fit me perfectly prior to those. But I do agree with you on the manufacturers changing the sizing of their clothes.

I don't know what you would call my shape. I'm skinnier in the waist and my top size is a L/XL, depending on the style and cut of the top. After having DS13, my hips got a little wider and my feet went up a 1/2 size, but that was pretty much it. Prior to having DS, I weighed 186 pounds and was in a size 18P. I lost 30 pounds while pregnant (gestational diabetes) and went down to 154 pounds and into a size 14P. I gained all the weight back about a year later, lost it all 2 years ago and was down to 151 1/2 pounds. That put me into size 12P. A size that I hadn't been since high school! Unfortunately, I gained it all back and am trying to lose it again :headache:

Btw, I'm now 44.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter