Wegmans food stores

pixiechick

<font color=teal>will work for disney dollars<br><
Talk to me about Wegman's....

We've got a new store here and they keep advertising how their prices are lower, on average, than the other stores.

Is that true? They seem too "upscale" for it to be true. But the ads indicate decent prices. I haven't ventured in yet myself, so tell me what to expect! :sunny: Thanks!

I'm wondering the same thing, pixiechick. I got the ad and even signed up for the card. So what I think I'll do is wander over there one day and look around before I commit to doing my weekly shopping. I was going to go today but chickened out, afraid they'd be too expensive or not have things I buy regularly. If anyone has been to Wegman's let us know your experience.

Wegmans is my main grocery store. They have really good sale items and all the variety you need. They started out as a local store in Rochester, NY and are still privately owned.

I don't find them "upscale" even though they offer a lot of upscale items. IMHO, they are cleaner, friendlier and better organized than their competition in my area. They also like to sell a lot of home grown items in season.

Give them a try! If the store just opened, it's probably still packed from all the curious people! (and they're probably all transplants from the Rochester/Buffalo area)

Lucky you!! One of their stores opened about 12 miles from me about a year ago, so I don't do all my weekly shopping there, but will get in a trip if I'm near the area.

Don't confuse upscale for clean and very customer friendly. Plus, every time I've been there the employees seem genuinely interested in taking pride in their store.

A lot of their prices are lower than the store where I usually shop. It's been a while since I shopped there so I can't remember all their exact prices, but to give you an idea Prego spaghetti sauce at the store where I usually shop is about $2.50 and at Wegman's I've bought it for about $1.85. Their fresh produce prices are pretty good and so are their canned and boxed foods. Their rotisseri chicken was $4.99 (the last time I bought one a while ago), and at my usual grocery store its $6.99 and the bird is smaller.

I think the BEST part of Wegman's is their prepared foods and bakery. Their Chinese buffet is $6.99/lb which is a little expensive, but the food is great. Also, I got a strawberry rhubarb pie from their bakery about 3 weeks ago that cost $16, but the pie was very fresh, and it was deep and pretty large.

I genuinely can't say enough good things about this store. I've taken friends there to shop and they loved it. I just wish they would open one closer to me! I'd have a new regular grocery store if they did.

Wegmans is awesome! It's been almost 5yrs since we left Penn. and I still miss Wegmans. They used to have the best buy1 get1 deals (on useful stuff not just junk food).And you're right the stores are beautiful. If you shop by their adds you'll save money.

I love Wegmans! :lovestruc :love: I haven't been in years since I moved out West where we do not have them, but I used to do most of my shopping there, and the prices were very competitive. The stores were so clean and bright. The variety was huge.

I did make one visit the last time I was home (which was 6 1/2 years ago) just to pick up my favorite things that we cannot get here, and I was very happy. I do tend to geek out about cool grocery stores b/c my father used to own a couple of stores and we would spend time checking out the competition.

Enjoy your shopping!

We have three Wegman's here in the Lehigh Valley of PA....they've been here for several years.

I LOVE Wegman's. The key to not overspending there is to avoid all of the prepared marketplace stuff. If you stick to the regular grocery items, their prices are very good. Many of the prices on my everyday things are cheaper at Wegman's than at Giant. Wegman's store brands are also very good.

Once in a blue moon, I will venture over to the prepared take-out stuff. Love their roasted veggies....YUMMY!! Great bakery and fantastic bread too. Also love the olive bar, hummus and bruschetta!! Edited to add that they also have the BEST subs and a great wings bar. And the Chinese food is really yummy too!

I don't know if your store has a WKids center, but that is possibly the BEST thing about Wegmans. Ours has a childcare center, where you can drop your child off for FREE for up to an hour. Once in a while, I'll meet up with friends for coffee and we'll put our kids in the Wkids center. It's FANTASTIC!! My son loves it in there!

HTH's!
Marcy

We finally have Wegman's in our area. One opened in March and one opened even closer on Sunday. We love it there. Great selection. Great quality. Great customer service and great prices. Many people have the mistaken idea that it is an upscale place with upscale prices, but it is not. Their prices are at least comparable to the other chains in the area and, on many items, they are cheaper. The ones near us, in the spirit of competition, also accept all Shop Rite coupons and will match Shop Rite's weekly specials. And yes, we used to shop at Shop Rite. Now there is almost no need, except for a couple of specific items that Wegman's doesn't carry...yet. There was one item, the bread we buy, that Wegman's didn't have when they first opened. They've got it now. I'm sure enough customers asked for it and they responded by adding it to their stock.

We have a new Wegman's here- it is the closest grocery to my house but I don't usually do my shopping there. Their prices are fair for most groceries but I feel they are VERY high for butcher, seafood, and poultry. I think they have a great selection and it is a nice facilty, with a European themed cafe and jazz musicians playing there occasionally, a great health food and gourmet selection. But overall I save money by shopping the sales at Giant, SUper fresh and Shoppers.

Steve, could you tell me the procedure for price matching to shoprite? We have several nice shoprites near me, where they have a large selection and decent prices. One doubles coupons up to but not including $1 which is nice. The Wegmans is not super close to us, but it's on the way home from work if we want to brave route 1.

We like the prepared foods, bread and desserts at Wegmans, but don't do our regular shopping there. The fish and meats are good.

A friend who does shop there often has found that lately they seem to be pushing Wegman's brands and limiting their selection of other brands. Also, she said they stopped carrying organic milk, supposedly because it is hard to keep in stock. :confused3

I live in central NJ and you can't beat Wegman's prices for eggs, gallons of milk, toilet paper (Cottonelle and their surprisingly good generic brand) and paper towels (Wegmans generic). During the summer it isn't uncommon to see 12 packs of Coke products 4 or 5 for $10. They have the BEST frozen salmon sold in 2 pound bags for 8.98 (it is honestly the best salmon I've ever had and for an excellent price!). Their produce prices are good (or at least competitive) and the quality FAR exceeds all other supermarkets and most farmer's markets. Deli prices are also good. For regular processed type items (i.e. cereal, pop-tarts, frozen dinners) the prices are around the same or pennies more...but their sale prices are usually very good. I recall an awesome sale on Mrs. Smith's pies last holiday season for 1.67 each! They also have amazing store brand marinades that are 2 for $4--the rosemary balsamic is great for grilled veggies and chicken.

I am the biggest bargain hunter in my family and everyone is shocked when I say I shop at Wegmans:) Yes, their meat is higher priced and they certainly carry high end items as well. However their natural and organic items are more competitively priced than average supermarkets when I can't schlep out to Trader Joe's. And I can't say enough about their quality and about the people that work there. Wegmans has been in the top 10 places to work for a few years running and it shows in the quality of employees. My girls and I open the place up at 6 am a few times a week and they always have a friendly word for us. When it rains they have people waiting with umbrellas to take you to your car and load it for you (!!!!). It just makes it SO worth it...to be able to shop and spend roughly the same money when it averages out but be treated to a gorgeous store, the most delicious treats (my girls adore their muffins) and amazing service. Oh and they send a beautiful menu/catalog/magazine every month or so with tons of recipes with ingredients they mark clearly in the store.

Truly like no other grocery store! (Can you tell I love it? They should put me in a commercial:))

:love: I LOVE Wegman's but I wouldn't call it cheap. Their prices around here can vary- some items way below Shoprite and others higher- But if you know your prices you can do well. Oh and they carry things that my others stores do NOT. I love to buy my San Marzano canned tomatoes from them. And that Bakery is to die for! The closest one to me is a good 20+ miles away- but they are opening one up that is about 5 miles away :banana: :banana: Can't wait. It will be close enough to be my every week place. Oh and stuff like the fresh seafood is fantastic but pricey. Their prepared foods are delicious and really full meal time savers. GO IN!! I love their in store demos too. In the meat dept. They have someone doing a "what's for dinner' demo- and any of them that I have tried at home I have LOVED>

We have a Wegman's in Monmouth County. It is a really nice store. I don't do my shopping there all the time because it's not my most convenient location. I find that if I stick to the regular grocery items I do fine. The quality is very good on the store brands as well. However, I try to stay away from buying in the specialty areas as that's when I buy things I dont really need. I have gotten Thanksgiving dinner all done ahead of time and it was a real time saver. I am not sure if they do the match the other stores specials.

Born and raised here in Rochester NY..love Wegmans ...have been going all my life..best produce, best prepared foods...you can find anything there...my only problem is the stores have gotten too big! I do miss the smaller wegmans of years ago...

Our Wegmans is nice if we're in the area ( we are a lot) we will shop there before coming home .I have a Giant and a Superfresh with-in a nice walk .

I just think Wegmans take a to the details a bit more .Clean,nicer staff,and so forth.

But with the 3 choices I do watch whats on sale on our everyday stuff and get that where it's on sale.

I love Wegmans. A lot of their frozen foods are cheaper than our other local grocery store. I love their cold made to order subs, their rolls are the best.

Gillian said:
Steve, could you tell me the procedure for price matching to shoprite?
I actually just learned of this today and haven't checked into it myself. I plan to ask next time I'm there.

Another Wegmans shopper here!

I love their "consistant low prices" and know that the items I buy regularly will be priced well. Their meat and produce is top notch (and I don't find it any more expensive than their main competitor, TOPS.) I know I can always get a gallon of milk for $1.79 as opposed to waiting for a sale elsewhere. I'll check the sale ads elsewhere, and if there's an incredible sale, then I'll go get those few items rather than overpay for items not on sale.

Plus, the Wegmans brand items are top notch...try the cereals, diapers, butter, soda pop, etc. You won't be dissapointed!

I, too, have been in Rochester all my life. And, I've worked for Wegmans since I was 15 years old as a cashier...then with their scholarship through college...then into their IT department after graduation...and now a part time computer programmer since having ds 4 years ago. So, my view might be a little one-sided but I needed to chime in.

Wegmans is more than just a grocery store - their community involvement is huge. Try it out and give it a few shopping trips and you can form your own opinions.

Wegmans customer service is second to none. And, we were named #1 in Fortune Magazine's 100 Best Places to Work in America in 2005 (#2 in 2006). Be sure to hit opening day if you can - it's a sight to behold.

:) Karen - 19 years of Incredible Service

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter