Weekly Money Saving Accomplishments

I want to join in! Today I went to Aldi to do my grocery shopping and instead of spending a ton at Walmart, I only spent $79 on 5 giant reusable bags full of food!
I made dinner at home (we have been eating out way too much and it's costing us a fortune): pork chops and ranch potatoes!
I have my lunch packed and ready for work tomorrow.

We are working on renovating our house and I managed to find the wood blinds for the living room on sale for $10 off and the new lamps were on sale too!

That's awesome! I've been using Ibotta for months and am only at $17! I usually only redeem for the generic products though. Not much, but I enjoy getting that little bit back.

Yikes! Sounds like a crazy week! Sorry about your freezers, that is definitely a bummer. I feel your pain, we went through Hurricane Isabel here on the east coast 12 years ago and we didn't have power for TEN DAYS. We installed a whole house generator after that. It was expensive at the time, but we have definitely appreciated it several times since then. I'm glad you and your family is ok though!

That's awesome on your Starbucks prices! I feel your pain. That's all my husband will drink. I have had some good luck with Kroger lately with their prices on it. They've had it on their mega sale recently so it was marked down to $6.99 and at one point I had a $2 off coupon. I also got a catalina for $2 off three bags recently, so that was a big help. I've stocked him up to about 8 bags now. Not sure exactly what I paid, but I'd said definitely close to half price for them all.

Both definitely take some time and patience, but I really enjoy using both of them and the rewards. Between October of last year and April of this year, I managed to earn a $100 Amazon gift card on Swagbucks, and I definitely wasn't using it to its full capability as many on here do!

Hate it when that happens! So embarrassing but it's definitely happened to everyone at least once!

whole house generator-one of the best investments we ever made! not only has it provided tremendous peace of mind w/regards to everything in the freezers and fridges, it's enabled us to stay at home vs. having to schlep to a hotel for extended power outages (water from a well requires power to get it into the home). we also learned about the importance of having a reliable back up power source when our home was damaged during a snow storm some years back and the emergency repair guys were faced with largely electric power tools to stabilize the roof-but no long term power source to operate them.

todays savings entailed a trip to safeway. I checked their on-line site and found several items w/click and save coupons as well as 2 free items. saved on what I was planning on getting anyway plus ended up with an additional $12 in free products. also checked out the end cap freezer they traditionally put the items they are trying to move off the shelves to make room for other items so they mark it down 50%. ended up with 2 packages of 'stuffed' burger patties (one cheddar and bacon, one black and blue). with the 50% discount it worked out to .83 cents per patty.

My new goal for this month has been to only eat out twice at Subway and once at either TGI Friday's or Red Robin for the entire month. So far so good.

Found some new easy economical recipes last week on Pinterest that I tried and we liked. Since it's just the two of us when I make a meal there are usually leftovers. Last week I cooked 3 meals which covered 6 days. Baked a pizza and served salad with it for the 7th night.

Always use SavingsCatcher and got $3 and some change back over the past two weeks.

Did 1 Pinecone review this week.

Our shutters are faded and I really wanted to paint them.. Ugh not looking forward to that chore. But scored a deal on new shutters at Menards last week. $60 for the whole house (without the sale the price would have been $105) or $30 for a can of paint. The new one's cost more than the paint would but at least I don't have to take them down, wash them (they are the louvered ones which take longer to wash each louver) wait for them to dry. Then put one coat of paint on let it dry then put on another coat of paint and wait for the 2nd coat to dry before reinstalling them. The money savings really comes in the time saved.

I want to join in! Today I went to Aldi to do my grocery shopping and instead of spending a ton at Walmart, I only spent $79 on 5 giant reusable bags full of food!
I made dinner at home (we have been eating out way too much and it's costing us a fortune): pork chops and ranch potatoes!
I have my lunch packed and ready for work tomorrow.

We are working on renovating our house and I managed to find the wood blinds for the living room on sale for $10 off and the new lamps were on sale too!

So jealous of your Aldi! I wish we had one more convenient in my area. The first one just came to us, but it's still about 40 minutes away from me and in an area I never travel to, so it wouldn't really be economical to go down there. I always read about Aldi on couponing websites and am jealous!

whole house generator-one of the best investments we ever made! not only has it provided tremendous peace of mind w/regards to everything in the freezers and fridges, it's enabled us to stay at home vs. having to schlep to a hotel for extended power outages (water from a well requires power to get it into the home). we also learned about the importance of having a reliable back up power source when our home was damaged during a snow storm some years back and the emergency repair guys were faced with largely electric power tools to stabilize the roof-but no long term power source to operate them.

I so agree! Ours runs our well, fridge and freezer, our tv (you know, the important stuff :rotfl2:) and then several different power outlets for lamps, phone chargers, etc. The biggest life saver for us is the well though. We have a farm and when Isabel took our power out for 10 days we were having to drive 10 minutes away everyday to fill up 35 gallon tanks of water and bring it back to fill up our horses' water troughs. Not to mention we would have to drive to a family member's house to shower, wash clothes, etc. It was a nightmare. Our generator now doesn't run our well at our barn since we have one well for the house and one for the barn, but it's a lot easier to haul water 1/4 mile down the driveway from the house to the barn than it is down the road!

I recently moved into a new home that my dad is letting me live in for free, SCORE! I didn't have enough furniture to fill it up because I moved from a tiny apartment so I have been looking at yard sales and thrift stores. I found a cart for my kitchen for 2.99 bought some spray paint for 3.98 and I have a wonderful looking cart for my kitchen for a little over 7 bucks with tax. Saw one very similar at an outlet store the week before and it was priced at 49.99. Also found pork chops on sale for 1.49 a pound, bought a family pack took them home and put them in individual packs and froze them since I live alone now (all the kids are grown) , they are the huge cut of pork chops. I got 7 pork chops for 6.06 coming out to .87 a chop, 7 meals all I need is a side.

Just bought 3 groupons to local restaurants using a 20% off code, so that's a massive discount,and when DH and I need a date night it's all set now! (these are places I already love,so we know we will use them)

I love threads like this. We had 2 big vacations this year so now we are in saving mode. I went grocery shopping on Saturday and stuck to my list and budget. My kids eat so much during the summer, especially the boys when they have 2 a day training sessions, that it is hard to stick to my budget. We also are cutting back on eating out, and I am starting to save change and dollars for our Disney vacation in 2017.

Taking DS8 to see his 1st concert on Sun at Hershey Stadium. For being a season passholder to Hersheypark, I received a substantial discount on the tickets. Rather than driving home late, I was able to use my hotel reward points to get a free room instead of forking out $150 for one.

Last edited:
I read into setting up my 401k at my new job in September!

I'm getting ready to set mine up too! I actually work for the state government though, so I guess mine's not technically a 401k. I'm trying to figure all that out having never had a retirement account before!

I recently moved into a new home that my dad is letting me live in for free, SCORE! I didn't have enough furniture to fill it up because I moved from a tiny apartment so I have been looking at yard sales and thrift stores. I found a cart for my kitchen for 2.99 bought some spray paint for 3.98 and I have a wonderful looking cart for my kitchen for a little over 7 bucks with tax. Saw one very similar at an outlet store the week before and it was priced at 49.99. Also found pork chops on sale for 1.49 a pound, bought a family pack took them home and put them in individual packs and froze them since I live alone now (all the kids are grown) , they are the huge cut of pork chops. I got 7 pork chops for 6.06 coming out to .87 a chop, 7 meals all I need is a side.

I wish I could find deals like that at yard sales! I always feel like it's pure junk when I go. I'm not crafty though, so it would probably look awful if I tried to fix something up lol.

I love threads like this. We had 2 big vacations this year so now we are in saving mode. I went grocery shopping on Saturday and stuck to my list and budget. My kids eat so much during the summer, especially the boys when they have 2 a day training sessions, that it is hard to stick to my budget. We also are cutting back on eating out, and I am starting to save change and dollars for our Disney vacation in 2017.

Thanks! Crossing my fingers for a 2017 vacation for us too. I really want to try my best to get as much of it possible paid for through the Swagbucks/Perk/Mypoints/Target discount combo for Disney gift cards. I was trying to explain to DH how it worked the other night, but it's so convoluted! I know it makes sense to me and all of you on here though haha.

Taking to see his 1st concert on Sun at Hershey Stadium. For being a season passholder to Hersheypark, I received a substantial discount on the tickets. Rather than driving home late, I was able to use my hotel reward points to get a free room instead of forking out $150 for one.

Hope it's a good concert! I remember making my mom take me to Spice Girls when I was 7. Thanks, mom!

Thanks! Crossing my fingers for a 2017 vacation for us too. I really want to try my best to get as much of it possible paid for through the Swagbucks/Perk/Mypoints/Target discount combo for Disney gift cards. I was trying to explain to DH how it worked the other night, but it's so convoluted! I know it makes sense to me and all of you on here though haha.

Hope it's a good concert! I remember making my mom take me to Spice Girls when I was 7. Thanks, mom!

Thanks. It's Ariana Grande.

Well I bought a complete set of new appliances for my kitchen remodel today. I saved money on each one by buying them all from the same brand plus there is a large rebate coming too. The individual prices seemed good, but all at once is a huge amount. However, all my current appliances are old and on their last legs, so the timing is right. Still a sticker shock! Then I went to Aldi on the way home and scored some great food deals.

I'm working downtown for the first time in 16 years (I know the last downtown assignment I had - it ended when I went into labor :)). And I'm taking the bus with a monthly bus pass. My company reimburses the bus pass, but would only cover about 2/3s worth of parking. Plus I drive to the park and ride 2.5 miles from home and back - 5 miles of commute in my car a day instead of the 48 round trip that I was doing. I figure its $100 a month less in gas.

Well I bought a complete set of new appliances for my kitchen remodel today. I saved money on each one by buying them all from the same brand plus there is a large rebate coming too. The individual prices seemed good, but all at once is a huge amount. However, all my current appliances are old and on their last legs, so the timing is right. Still a sticker shock! Then I went to Aldi on the way home and scored some great food deals.

make sure to check with your utility company about additional rebates. our power company does a minimum $25 when you purchase any energy star rated fridges, and some water providers have additional ones for certain types of dishwashers. these when combined with individual store and manufacturer rebates can quickly add up.

We built a new home and went with all the same appliances Jenn-Aire-do you know there are no name brands that match? We got a free dishwasher, and our micro-wave and air vent over our gas stove top was a no name brand. Our refrigerator was $1600, originally $3200 we bought last years model, our gas range cook top was $850, the built in oven was $1200. The air-vent-it was one of those large stainless steal one's was $1600 and the microwave was I want to say $250-but you could tell it wasn't your cheap one from Target. We got back $900 in 3 VISA gift cards and we have a $80 credit instore. We also purchased the extended warranty for 5 years. I think everything came to $5,500, and I asked the salesman what our total price would of been and he priced it out at $16,000.

I walked into the appliance store and wanted the Wolf Stove--ha ha, I dreamt to big, the Wolf Stove alone was $13,000-on Sale. They did say I could buy it for $10,000.00

We negotiated prices on almost everything for over 4 weeks, but buying everything at once, they really want your business and worked with us. This was a small town appliance store too.

I just signed up to receive a bunch of freebies this week as well. We have 2 grocery stores that also do weekly freebie items that I always pick up. I am trying to hang some items up outside instead of run the dryer (we can't have clothes lines in our sub division), I am using the dogs runner line since it is too hot for her to be out long. I also cut my dryer sheets in half and works just as well. This morning I realized our washer has an extra rinse setting that is turned on so I turned it off to try to save water and electricity. I hope to find new things to do each week.

Today, DS and I picked our own sweet corn, I'm going to cook and freeze for later. DD is babysitting for classmate's brother so her entertainment is him, ha.
The kids later will go work two hours for a neighbor, so no gas money needed there, they are cleaning out the chicken coup. The will mow a farm house lot later tonite so their entertainment is free today (plus that money goes into their college account).
We are replacing two light fixtures when the guys come to work on/in our house, found them at menards and they happened to be discontinued so got them for half off.
I called today about DD car insurance price and she needs to sign a paper for $100 discount that can be applied. I was watching craiglist/ebay for a calculator for DS, decided to ask my SIL if they have one they are done with, she has 3 high school grads. She found one is her house and said "here". I offered to buy it she said no. Saved over $100 if new. Made sure I took her lots of sweet corn.

I got a 40% off Kohls online code on Sunday. Got my kids back to school shoes and figure I've saved at least $100 on 3 pairs of shoes vs buying them from here, even with the crazy exchange rate right now! Plus never mind the gas $$ and my sanity I've saved, dragging my 14 yr old around trying to find shoes that are affordable and cool. :crazy2: (and cool probably isn't even a cool word anymore either..lol)

Been a good week...I am a teacher & DH & I are vacationing next week so this was my week to look long & hard a finances.
1--we are getting BETTER internet (more "power") & bundled with phone is about the same as we were paying for crappy internet
2--dropped health club. We can walk as long as the weather cooperated--then DVDs, treadmill, weights, yoga
3--dropping our "union" dues that we have paid for years; things have changed & the protection it used to provide has disappeared :( (we are both teachers)
4--Picked up charging cases for our iphone 6s for 70% off
5--Used $15 gift card Kohls sent me to get DS socks he needs
6--DS20 bought some items for college--caught that the Tide pods he bought were double what All costs (which is what I use) & the name brand contact solution was double Target brand price. He didn't even balk--took them back & got the cheaper stuff.
7--Scrapbook adhesive 50% off at Michaels on Tuesday w/ coupon (DD graduates this year--trying to knock those scrapbooks out!)
8--Von Maur (upscale department store) several items 75% off. Did we NEED these items right now? No, but I have learned that items that can replace basics as they wear out are worth it if I can get their high quality merchandise 75% off. They do markdowns weekly, so I can find 75% off regularly. (I don't go weekly--tho I'd like to!) Have gotten at least a dozen Bugatchi men's dress shirts ($150-200 shirts--right!) for work at 75% off over the years. Yes, he could get cheaper, but the quality is outstanding & he likes the uniqueness of the shirts.
9--I have cooked every night this week--a summer accomplishment as usually we were coming & going in the evenings with baseball & basketball practice/games, summer dance, etc. A lot of grab & go meals this summer...
10-Baked muffins & biscuits today
11--Hit Aldi for produce (seriously, half of our nearby store); cutting up fruits & veggies for kiddos to snack on while we are gone.
12--2 youngest will be volunteering at vacation bible school next week--they feed the volunteers dinner each night! NICE! Won a $25 subway card so the 3 kids can use that for dinner the one night their isn't VBS. 20YO bought .99 Budget frozen dinners for his dinners (Hey, his choice!) Mom said she might have him over for dinner a couple nights ;-)

Having one in college out of state & one about to graduate (college visits, senior pics, she is on dance team + dance classes) we have to try to squeeze every penny out of every dollar we make! This is our worst year (kids have great 529s plus bonds for spending $ & travel so once they are in college we get relief)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter