Week of October 12 WISH Walking & Running Club

aladdinsgirl

She's a rebel. She's a saint.
Originally Posted by chimera
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily03
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

Welcome to a new week!!

Krista

I can't believe it's time for another weekly thread, time is flying by! This past week I officially started training for my 5th half marathon. I have to say that it's a little harder this time around, it's been almost 12 weeks since Carter was born, but I feel like my body is just now starting to feel "normal" again and there are still lots changes that I'm not cool with, but I won't go into that! ;) Let's just say that Lean Cuisine is my best friend this days. :thumbsup2 I'm heading back to work on Wednesday, so NOT looking forward to that, but one good thing about it is that I will be at a computer for 8 hours a day, so I'll have more time to post. :) Since this week kicked off MfM half marathon training, today was my first long run, 3 miles was on the books for today and it was for the most part okay. I finished in 38:49 and completed the run following r2/w3 intervals. I tried to keep my running around 11:30-12:00 and my walking in the 14:00's. Hines (my dog) ran the first 1.68 miles with me and then I dropped him off at home as I was running at about 3:00 in the afternoon and it was 79 degrees out--a little warm! The first 1.5 miles my legs were pretty stiff and my IT band was making it's presence known, I wouldn't say it was hurting, I was just aware of the ligament or tendon or whatever exactly it is. The second half of the run went much better, my legs loosened up and I didn't really feel the IT band, so I was very thankful for that!! Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, but I think I'm going to do some core work on my stability ball, I actually do about 20 minutes of core work and push ups every day, but tomorrow I think I'll do 30-40 minutes. I gotta get back into all of my clothes, ya know?? :laughing: Oh and if anyone is looking for an awesome song to run to, "Womanizer" by Britney Spears rocks!! :rockband:

Shan--I am so sorry you are still having to deal with all the post surgery stuff. You think if you have surgery, you wouldn't need a second surgery to fix it! :wizard: to you!! And I know what you mean about the Garmin, I HAVE to have my Garmin on every run (my iPod too for that matter ;)) , I can't pace myself or know the distance without it and I'm definitely NOT a zen runner who gets out there just for the beauty of it. :)

Erin--It's SO good to see you again! I hope you are enjoying HI. I'm sorry you, Lynne, and your mom won't be at WDW in January, but I guess we understand. :) Tell Lynne :wave: for me.

Kristi--Great job on your 5 miler! Are you part bird, you were flying. ;)

Stephanie--You were flying too today! Congrats on 13.1. We have some speedy people here that's for sure. ::yes:: Good luck on your half.

Duckie--So sorry about the accident, hope you are feeling better. :wizard:

Angie--I am so sorry about your grandpa. :hug: :hug: I lost my last grandparent when I was 19, I always tell people to never take their grandparents for granted because I would LOVE to have mine back again. By the way, how is Mr. Sean doing? I bet he is getting so big now and getting into all kinds of mischief. :)

Melanie--Welcome back!! I joined the Wish team in May 2005, so we just missed each other. I'm looking forward to training with you.

Jackie--I'm glad you are coming out of your running funk, I was there last summer and it stunk. I've found that changing my run:walk intervals really don't have that much effect on my times either and it's a nice change of pace to play with the intervals.

Kira--I hope you had a wonderful with your hubby!! :love:

I better get off here and head to bed. I have about 3 hours until Carter wakes up wanting another bottle, I don't want to waste that time when I could be sleeping! Normally Stephen takes the 3:00ish feeding, but he is getting up at 5:00 to do his 20 miler for the Marine Corp marathon, so I'll graciously take all the feedings tonight. I better get some payback in the spring when I'm doing my 20 miler for the Flying Pig marathon!!

Have a great Sunday everyone!!

Krista

Krista - Good to see you back. I'll bet Carter is getting big!

I've been MIA lately. Just busy with WTO and LTO. I leave tomorrow for Baltimore for a conference, so won't be on the boards much. Will check in when I get back.

I've been watching the Hawaii Ironman off and on all day (Sat.) Was wondering if Lynne was there.

Happy training everyone!

Terri

I planned on taking the keiki hiking today. Ended up doing plumbing due to a leaky toilet tank. Never is a quick job, is it?

I will be doing another 20 miler on Sunday. Gotta go out early, as our Girl Scouts have a fitness day with Andy Baldwin, the guy from the Bachelor series. He was the Naval doctor here at Pearl Harbor. Anyways, will try to get a group photo with him if possible.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

So, after my 13 miles yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to shampoo all the carpets. yeah, not the best idea--I'm really sore and dragging this morning. Guess it's a good thing it's a rest day.

Susie--duh, I just looked at your signature and noticed you ARE doing the Soaring Wings Half! Will you be in WISH gear? We'll have to find a meeting place. I grew up in Conway, so I need to go look at the course map again to see where the hills are. Conway is basically flat so that's nice. But, if I'm remembering correctly, they put the one big hill right before the end. How nice, right?

Krista--you are doing AWESOME! I'm just amazed at all the new moms that get out again so soon. After both kids were born, I just hid in the house for 4 months or so. My excuse was that it was the middle of the winter in Wisconsin--but I know it's just because I was lazy. Can't wait to snuggle Carter in January.

Okay, need to check on the kidlet. Have a great week everyone

Yeah--I just bought my airline ticket for January! I've been waiting around to see if NW would come up with any fares close to Spirit (I am not a Spirit fan). Things weren't looking good--and it's pretty amazing how the airlines can play around with fares over the course of a day or two--but this morning scored a good fare.

Now I just have to go out and train!

Maura

Off to do her 5 mile LR.......

Hey everyone!

I have nothing much to report for last week...took some time off after the duathlon, but now I can focus on training for the WDW and Sarasota halfs (halves??).

We are thinking about ING Atlanta in March. I'd love to hear about the course from anyone that's done it in the past!

Krista...great to see you getting back out there. It always takes me about 2 miles to get into a run.

Terri...have a good trip!

Maura...glad you got a good deal on flights!

Jeff...hope your 20 miler went well!

I'm going to try to get out on the bike today for some XT. I've been looking at road bikes on Craig's List but still need to get to the bike shop and find out what size I'll need.

Trying to find a free weekend to get back to WDW for a daytrip, but it's hard with DD15's marching band schedule and DD5's Sat soccer games. We were going to go next Friday since both kids were out of school, but the school board decided to use that for a hurricane makeup day :mad:

Hope everyone did well at RFTT! Can't wait to read the race reports!

Good Morning WISHers!!

Krista: Thanks for getting the weekly thread going!! Great that you have started your Half Training!! I'm in my second week. Keep at it!!

Maura: Yeah!! Glad you got your plane ticket. And yes, I think it is now time to get out there and train for the half!! GO Girl!!

Jeff: 20 miles..........you know what I have to say about that.

Mel: :wave2: It's hard to find time to go to WDW, even for us Floridians. I am going in 4 days. Had to squeeze it in between football games. I have already made ressies for December.!! Good luck with the training - when is the Sarasota Half?

AFM: It was a typical humid and warm South FLorida morning. Had pinky pistols galore!! Around mile 6 the clouds start coming around and it got breezy (as it does right before it rains) then at 6.5 a rain cloud let loose and it rained for about another half mile until it passed over. Then sun came out again and then went away around mile 7.5 another group of clouds came around and again the breeze was great. Got home after 9 miles and went in the pool VERY NICE!! The pool was a bit cool also so it was kinda like having an ice bath. While in the pool it rained, but that was ok.
So now I'm just relaxing and having some chocolate milk.

Have a good Sunday!!
Tracy

Drive-by....
Mom & I just got back from a 9 miler. We did all walking and finished in 2:19:22.
In full disclosure, we stopped at her friend Donna's house at 3.75 and chatted for about a half hour. :rotfl:

Hey, everyone! Just a quick check-in before I go pick up DS15 from his marching band's parade performance.

I did the Breast Cancer 5k today and FINALLY got sub-40:00 in a 5k race (I'd done it a time or two in training but couldn't pull it off in a race situation). YAY!! :yay: The distance was actually 3.15 so maybe my time would have been slightly better than 39:58. LOL! Then again, I'm sure my time would have been even better if I hadn't taken a bad fall between miles 1 and 2 -- I banged up my right knee, wrist and elbow. My knee bled a bit at one laceration but there is another spot on top of my kneecap that is a huge swollen bubble-type spot that is making me sick to my stomach - very painful. Anway, after the 5k, we took a potty break and then did the 4.5 mile walk which turned out to be 4.75. I could not believe there were 4,000 people all trying to be on 2 lane roads most of the way. It really was a mob scene and slow going. So, I got in 7.9 miles today.

Cam - Yay for the sub-40! :cool1: Bummer about the fall :sad2: I hope you're ok. Sending :wizard: your way.

Kristi - :thumbsup2 to you and Mom on the 9 miles!

Tracy - WTG!

Steph & Jeff - great job on the double digit miles!

Nothing for me to report. I'm off to pack!

Terri

Hello!
I have been off the board for a month - started back to work and also have twin boys! So I feel out of touch. This may be a silly question - but has anyone ever experienced "pain" (more like a cramp) in the achilles tendon that comes and goes? I think it may occur after I have been in heels for a few days but I don't want it to derail my running. Any advice?
Jen

Kristi - great job on your 9 miles

Cam - glad to hear your broke 40 min for your 5K but sorry to hear you fell during the race.

Krista - thanks for starting this week's thread. Carter must be getting. Sorry we won't be there in January to see him. I will let Lynne know you said hello. She is very busy but got to be on on of the teams for the delivery Wednesday of quads (3 boys and a girl) They are all doing well.

Maura - good job on getting reasonable tickets.

Since I am not training for anything specific, I find it hard to talk myself into doing any form of exercise. I had planned on going for a bike ride yesterday. Instead I ended up mowing the lawn and hauling leaves up over the hill for 3 hours. Today I went for a 3 mile walk, rested an hour and then did a 17 mile bike ride. We won't be having many more of these really nice days.

All you training for TOT and other races, keep up the good work.

Kathy: Just wandering if you had a chance to get that information that I was looking for from Lynne?? Please let me know as soon as you can. Would like to get it going.

Thanks again so much.

Tracy

Hi everyone! :wave2:

Cam~ Way to go on your first SUB-40 5K!!!:cool1: :banana: :dance3: :yay: :rotfl: :cheer2: :flower3: :love: :hug: :lovestruc

I got a scheduled 20 mile LR in yesterday... here are the results:

Miles: 20.0
Time: 3:12:02
Pace: 9:36

I run the Marine Corps Marathon on October 26, less than 2 weeks away! :eek: :scared:

I am hoping for a PR there with a finishing time around 4:00-4:15.

Have a great week everyone!

:grouphug:

Howard

20 miles, uugh. Got 'er done.

Went to Kid's Fitness day with Andy Baldwin (The Bachelor - Navy doctor).

DSCN5437.jpg

DSCN5470.jpg

Princess #2 won an autographed soccer ball for being the girl with the most enthusiasm in the sports activities.

DSCN5478.jpg

Parents got to cook with a local chef, a warm salad, with lots of fruits, vegetables, and chicken. Mmmm, it was really delicious.

DSCN5451.jpg

Cam--WTG on your 5K!:thumbsup2

Jeff--Your girls are so cute!

I did my longest distance last Friday, 4.4 miles. I am doing a 3R/2W and it took me 54 minutes. I was happy to finally push past the 3 mile mark. DH and I are doing a local 5 mile race this Saturday, excited about it but nervous too. I think it has a lot of hills! ACK!

Have a great week folks!

Allyson

Allyson -- Congrats on that distance and your pace! :woohoo:

Back later to catch up with everyone else. Started my day at the gym for 45 minutes on the recumbent bike, though I'm not sure that was the best idea considering how swollen my knee is from falling yesterday. Tomorrow morning is my personal trainer session, then some core work on my own until my running partner and I do 2 easy miles on the treadmill for her to try out new running shoes. Tomorrow night is a swing dance class. I think I'll sleep really well tomorrow night!

Saturday I was sick. Some kind of sinus problem, sneezing and stuffed up all day. Instead of doing to 4 miles I wanted to do, I took a four hour nap. I felt a little better yesterday, but not great. I hopped on the treadmill during the Amazing Race. I ran for as long as I could during the commercials after doing a nice long warm up, so my numbers aren't great but at least I got some miles in!

Sunday:
2.51mi/46:56

Okay, the princess kitty is using my keyboard as a pillow so she tried to increase my time by11111111111111111111. HEHEHE. At least she is snuggling with me, which only happens when DBF is out. I hate to take her off my foot and get ready for work, but the sooner I get to work, the sooner I get home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter