Week of Oct 23 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Sorry to be short but we're in major hurricane anxiety mode right now (or maybe it's just me :blush: ). Right now, Wilma's still projected to land south of us, but it's 200 miles wide and after Charley, we know the course can change even up to an hour before it lands. We're going to see what's happening Sunday morning, then may evacuate north.

Good news is I did 7 miles today with an avg pace of 14:34. Consistency was NOT my middle name though...my split times were all over the place.

Good training everyone! I'll check back in when I can.

:wizard: :grouphug: Mel :grouphug: :wizard: and the rest of you dealing with Wilma. I hope you're safe and sound.

Yesteday's LR was slow and painful. Friday night I crashed with DS at 8:30pm then I woke up at midnight and was a wake until 4AM. When the alarm rang at 5Am I considered not doing my LR. But IC barked, "what do you think you're doing, pick out those cute little clothes you like to wear and get your butt downstairs!" So I did. (Bree, it was a nice pink and black ensemble, perfectly matched ;) ) I was really, really cold and even though I wore gloves my hands were numb and painful. I couldn't even open my GU. I guess next time I'll put mittens over my gloves. But I got my fulll 16 miles in at an avg pace of 10:47. Quite a stark difference from my wonderful 10 miler just 18 hours earlier. I was so wiped out at the end I dreaded heading home to start party preparations. But much to my surprize, I recovered completely and had a great rest of the day. I feel great today. DD doesn't want to wog today so I will truly rest. I just checked weather.com. It was 31 deg F whenI started and 38 deg F when I finished. Its only going to get colder :cold:

I met a runner on the path who lives in Vermont. He was training for cross-country skiing marathons this winter. Sounds interesting. Do they have any of those near you, Lynn?

As for the discussion on what's too cold, my limiting factor is my lungs. If the air burns my lungs too much I can't run. It depends alot on windchill, but I think the coldest I've run in is 25 deg F. I suppose my tolerance is going to have to be better now that I'm a marathon runner! As for ice? Zero tolerance here. I will not run on any ice whatsoever. The cold is tough for players, too. I've had trouble with batteries freezing, but if you put the player on the inside and it gets too sweaty it can get destroyed (done that, too). And as for the nose... UGH. DD has already learned to bring tissues with her. I wish I was as smart as her. TG for long sleeves :blush:

Sunny

Well week 5 MFM had me only doing 3 miles today. I decided since it was so short I was going to see how fast I could go. I ran alot more this time trying to get below 14 for my pace. Well I forgot to hit lap at my warmup (which was 6 min 17-18 pace) so my avg was 14:16 for the 3 miles. I know after the warmup I avg less thatn 14. Felt good!

Good luck to all you in Wilma's path.

I'm going to start looking at bikes today. DH might be getting me one for Christmas. I decided since I do not plan on being competitive (only want to finish the tri) and the Danskin is the only one I will do then any decent bike should do.

Also going to check into swim lessons this week. I guess at the very least, it's good xt!

Doing a quick check in prior to us clearing off the pool deck and patio and doing our "hurricane" preps!

We're officially under a hurricane warning and expected to be on the cusp of hurricane winds. So there will be no orthopedist tomorrow and I have to ride it out at my house--wahhhhhh!!!!! Last hurricane I road out was Hugo--which for me was just an excuse to sleep since it came at night, LOL! Our home was in the eye for that.

I am thankful to also have flood insurance 'cause you never know what these suckers will do. We are not a flood zone--but those 'canes can be so darn persnickety.

Have a fun rest of your weekend!

Around here--as pooh would say...it is going to be quite a blustery day tomorrow.

Continued well wished to all of you in Wilma's way!

This was my hardest LR. Besides being 36 degrees when we started, everything hurt the first 2 miles. Btwn 2 and 3 it went down to only hip and clf on one leg. Around 7 hip and claf went awy. Calf cam back for last mile and a half. I did it, but would not want to have gone further. I did prove that I could work through the aches. Got to get rid of the cramp in my calf, though.

Here are some of my route pics.

This is where I start:
IMG_0021.jpg

I see this in all my runs:
IMG_0003.jpg

There's a cool gazebo to the left and you can see the river.

This is about the end point for runs over 40 minutes:

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Got here for the first time on my 12-miler yesterday:
IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Best wishes for all battling Wilma this weekend. I was supposed to go to Ft. Lauderdale on Thurdsay and come home today (it was a work trip). But it was cancelled on Wed. since at that time they were projecting Wilma to hit FL on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

So today I rode my exercise bike while watching the football game. The first half took 1hr. 40 miin. My legs were starting to feel like jelly. I think I burned extra calories since I was yelling at the tv while I was riding. Darn Eagles definitely had my heart rate up! :teeth:

Terri

Good afternoon everyone!!

Tiff- I used to teack adult swim lessons all the time. I think you need to really do your research before selecting a class to make sure it fits what you are looking for. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

Carrie- Spring Lake?? I would love to have that near my house. So pretty. Me-- I run through bland suburban subdivisions :teeth:

Friday and Saturday were very interesting. After my 12-miler I payed a fun game of "What hurts now?" It started off with my hip flexors. Then my hamstrings and knees started to ache. When I woke up on Saturday, it was my glutes and calves. Now pain, so much as aches, so no worries. I felt better today.

This afternoon I did my MFM plan 45 minutes (4 run/1 walk) and managed to get in 5.15 miles for an average pace of 8:44/mile. :) I took my own (and Plutos) advice and really watched my running pace and felt much better than my previous runs. I decided to push the 5th mile and split that in 7:59. My other miles were much more consistant than they usually are.

By my calculations we are about 11 weeks out-- I can't believe I've finally stuck with the training for this long. ( It is my 4th try, you know :teeth: )

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

solotraveler said:
Carrie- Spring Lake?? I would love to have that near my house. So pretty. Me-- I run through bland suburban subdivisions :teeth:

I can neither confirm nor deny that, but good eye!

Friday and Saturday were very interesting. After my 12-miler I payed a fun game of "What hurts now?" It started off with my hip flexors. Then my hamstrings and knees started to ache. When I woke up on Saturday, it was my glutes and calves. Now pain, so much as aches, so no worries. I felt better today.
Yup, I'm in your Saturday now. Heels to churhch were NOT a good idea!

I'm just getting back to posting after several weeks. Carrie's t-shirt message got me back.

I've been lurking a little. I did the Hartford half at the beginning of the month in a deluge and I haven't felt much like running since. I did 8 miles yesterday and should have done 16 today but it was drizzling and I couldn't motivate. I'll fit it in one morning this week since work is going to be light.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy week.

I had a great LR yesterday. I did 7 miles in 1:36. I did walk 3/run 2 for the first 6 miles, then I ran the last mile. It felt great! I did it! :goodvibes

I love the photos Sunny and Carrie. Thanks for sharing! I sure miss the fall colors, but I do not miss the cold.

The sun was out and the colors were gettign so nice, that I drove my route as much as I could. As I hobbled to wher I had to walk, I shunned myself and told myself I should be resting! ;)

Back from weekend of resting while everyone else climbed. I took pics of the boy I'll post later. It was a good a rest.

Lynn - I would FREAK OUT if I looked down and saw a diver! I cannot stand to see things under me in the water. I can't even swim close to any of the markers because I don't want to see a chain!!!!!! I'm pretty sure if I saw a diver that would necessitate my rescue!!!

Carrie, your pictures are great! Wish I had something that level and scenic, my routes are really bland.

Solo, I continue to be impressed by your speed with your intervals. You really must be moving!! That is great.

Mel, can't wait to see the pictures of the boy!

Heather, 7 miles, you are really coming along!! That is great that you had so much left you could run the last mile. :dog:

Tiff, your progress has been quite impressive as well! I remember when you were contemplating this journey...just look how far you have come. :flower:

I had a really slow long run on Friday 14 miles at 10:37 pace, I really felt that I had to force every step. Had a good rest day yesterday and iced and stretched 3 times during the day because I was really sore. My plan called for a 60 minute run today and ran a 9:17 pace that felt effortless. It is really amazing how you body responds differently in just 2 days. I am very encouraged now.

Lisa and everyone else in Florida. Stay safe. :grouphug:

Colleen

I have meaning to ask if anyone here knows of marathons that have the Clydesdale/Athena categories. I heard that some races have the Athena category at 140 lbs and others are over 170 lbs. Hmm, I meet the requirement for both weights. :rolleyes1

Where can I research these races? Anyone??

Just wanted to say--I like my orthapedist already.

He called me personally around noon to reschedule to Tuesday morning. Not an assistant, not a nurse, not a secretary--HIM. I told hubby he sounded like a "hotty" on the phone.

He says I would have better luck finding a hotty guy doctor...he says he has yet to find a hotty girl one. Well, that ain't a bad thing, dear!

Today was another bust as my leg hurt like heck once again. I did some light walk/run on the tm but couldn't maintain my pace nor milage. I have another chiro apt Monday evening so hopefully that will do something.

I'm getting to the point of being way past discouraged with this.

:wizard: to all the rest of us that are having no fun with pain.

Just checking in before the storm. My cold is getting better, but no long run for me this weekend. I did get a 3 mile walk in today without too much coughing. My times were 16:08, 16:00, and 15:22. The lightening and thunder were very pretty to see during my walk, but were getting a little too close for comfort during the last mile - can you tell I was in a hurry??? :scared1: DH did 17.5 on Saturday, and made great time - he's doing awesome!!! :love2: I think I will try to make up my long run (12m) on Wednesday if DS will cooperate in the stroller... the high is supposed to be around 68 - Yippeeee!!!! :cold: Perhaps I can plead my case to the grandparents to babysit so I can run in the nice, cool weather... ;)

I'll check in again tomorrow (or whenever we get power...) :wave2:

Happy training!!! :cheer2:

Hey guys! Haven't posted in quite a while, but I have been keeping up with the threads (work may get busy quite a bit, but I always try to make time to read our marathon threads :) ).
Don't have too much time to post, just wanted to say that Krista and I are down here at WDW right now braving the beginning of Wilma (the outer bands of rain started about 7:30pm). And to think that we were in France eating pastries 3 hours ago. Parks are all closed tomorrow, but hopefully will re-open later in the day, or at least by Tuesday morning.
We both got our LRs in this morning. Krista did 4 and I did 12. Ran around the BW/YC/BC area. It's amazing how close MGM really is to the BW. It's only around 1/2 mile from the far end of the BW to the gates of MGM--it just seems so much further when you're walking to the park as opposed to running down that path with running shoes and a Garmin. :) It's crazy humid down here. If January is anywhere near this humid (and I know it shouldn't be), the marathon will be no less than dreadful to complete. Coolmax or not, we were both drenched with sweat at the end of our LRs. Regardless, I'd rather be running in Disney, even with the humidity, than anywhere else on earth.

Good to see everyone's doing so well. Hope all those injuries heal soon. I know how frustrating they can be.
Have a great week everyone. Will keep you guys updated on the hurricane down here (if for no other reason than to try to make everyone jealous that we're in Disney all week :cool1: ).

Happy training, everybody! 76 days till the fun begins...

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter