Week of July 24 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Monte: don't stress too much about your pace, remember you are at altitude currently. It will be much easier at sea level (and no hills!). After coming down from Boulder, I found I picked up 60-75 sec in my per mile pace. Keep in mind I am not internally motivated and find myself moving faster in any race than I do in a training run. That adreneline and competetive streak kicks in almost immediately. As long as we keep following the schedule, we should be fine.

Hi everyone!

Perfect match- Great job with the training. It always feels good when you reach a goal, isn't it?? :goodvibes

Christa- Thanks for the pep talk. I appreciate it.

Chimera- I LOVE my GPS system. It's so wonderful not to have to drive out a route the night before a run, you just take off and go!! Since this is the third time I have tried to train for the marathon and I found myself fighting my confidence in my abilities the other times, it worries me. I REALLY don't want to put it off another year yet again. That said, this is the first time I feel like I am making good progress, so I just need to keep putting on my shoes and getting outside on my run days.

Zela- FANTASTIC JOB on your run today! That's wonderful! :jumping1: If you can do three miles, what's ten more on race day, right?? :) Keep up the good work!

Today's run was pretty good for me. Another two miler at 9:06 per mile pace. The weather here FINALLY broke, so it's a lovely 73 degrees here at the moment. I think I am going to push myself a little further tomorrow. At least 3, maybe 4 miles if I feel up to it. Two miles is feeling really good now, so I want to give going further a shot. I also ordered the Marathoning for Mortals book and plan to read it over the weekend. Hopefully the training plan in there will be a little more to my liking than the one I have now.

Happy running and walking everyone!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Just checking in and waiting for the weather to break. The storms are moving in to cool us down.

Aladdinsgirl-Thanks for the info re: Marathoning for Mortals and the compliment on my name.

Jodi-Where are you in CT? I just moved to Suffield.

It was too muggy to run this morning so I'm going to the gym this evening to lift some weights. I'll make up for it in the morning.

Later

Just checking in with everybody. I hope that the weather begins to cool off for you all. Here (in NM) it was a cool upper 80's, but of course that is with about 10% humidity.

Melissa, take care of that tendonitis. I have been fighting tendonitis in my left achilles since the middle part of June. I go to a phys. therapist 2X per week for ultrasound and lots of stretching. It was improving until I decided to use the stairs instead of the elevator at work. Apparently 4 flights of stairs is not a good thing for tendonitis!! :confused3 I just might be willing to try the Shox (I guess that's what they are??) if it helped others with their tendonitis. My marathon training group is doing 15 miles this Saturday. Chances are, I won't be able to do it with them because of the injury. My PT says no more than 3 miles right now.

Still haven't quite signed up for the goofy yet, but it is getting close. My wife is actually at Disney World right now as a last minute vacation before the school year starts. She picked up annual passes for us, so I guess we will have to go back next summer before they expire (DARN! :teeth: ) I know that this has been brought up in the past, but I am too lazy to go back and find it :guilty: . Is it better to book now or wait until the AP rates come out? My mother-in-law is retired military, so we have rooms at SoG for most of the week, but I will be going out one night early for the Goofy. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Happy training everybody. Stay well-hydrated and injury free!

Paul (and Beckie)

The weather has finally taken a turn for the better in my area. So last night my Cold and I went out for a wog and managed the full 3 miles that I had planned. The time was 35:30 which is still around the 13min pace that I am trying to stay under. It wasn't the best but not too bad after a 1 1/2 week lack of any real training with the WDW/Cold break.

Question here - Since I have missed so much would I still be okay to try the 5 miles this weekend or should I stay with 4? I missed the last 2 long runs while being in WDW. I have considered trying the 5 but at a slow pace because I really want to up my mileage but I am a concerned of doing to much too soon after the lay off. What do you all think?

Also has anyone heard anything about the 1/2 entry being close to closing? I still haven't registered yet as I want to make sure I can do this first.

Thanks everyone!

Minnie...go ahead and register. Your pace is about 3 minutes per mile faster than mine already. You're gonna be great! :cheer2:

Hey Disnut!

Welcome to CT. How 'bout those storms last night? :umbrella: I live in Middletown, not too far from where you are. You're training for this "thing" too? Man, I hope I make it!

A question to you all about TM. Don't you feel that training on a TM isn't as effective as running outdoors? I feel I get a workout, but last winter I ran on the TM quite a bit @ the gym, then when I hit the streets in the spring I felt like I'd been sitting on the couch for 4 months straight! What gives? Maybe it's all in my head.

Thank heavens the weather has "broke" here, hope the same happens for the rest of you.

Jodi

Hey everyone! First time poster on these boards!!!!

Im training for the half-marathon. Just started last week. Ive been wanting to lose weight since my ex and I 'Officially' broke up last November. I put on a lot of weight while we were dating. And i just cant stick to a diet. So i figured if I give myself a goal, like experiencing something ive never experienced (disney marathon) Then Id be working towards a goal that isnt necessarily about weight loss. Its about getting myself into shape so I can confidently finish the marathon.

So Monday, i walked/jogged down to my old high school (its about 1.5 miles away) And then I ran up and down the steps of the bleachers, and then walked/jogged home. Got home and took a swim to cool off (it was like 90-something out)

Looked at my pedometer and it said I did a little over 4 miles! In an hour and fifteen minutes. Not bad for me, im pretty overwieght, but tall. So im on my way!

Tuesday - I did some DDR for 45 minutes. And man was I tired, I can finally do a few of them on Heavy, but my stamina sucks.

Yesterday I did a light run around my neighborhood. Only did 30 min, and forgot the pedometer....

Its raining cats and dogs today, so i'll have to do something indoors.... We'll see.

chimera - if you need a walking/running/whatever buddy, you only live a town away, and I work in Sarasota... sooo let me know! PS - I do DDR too!!!

Today was mother's day out so of course, workout extravaganza with marathon queen and mountain biking queen! We did a disasterous (for me at least) single track ride. (did i mention i do not like mountain biking becuase i don't enjoy falling of my bike, which always happens) and then 6 mile trail run. the run was good. the ride is overwith!

Hope the day is going well for everyone.

Monte, we should be heading your way friday night. 12 hrs in the car with a high energy 3yo boy!!!!! Hope the mountains are worth it!

Well, after my great start this week with my wogging, I have completely fallen off the "wogging wagon"! :scared1: I'm chalking it up to the heat & humidity. Yep, that's my story & I'm sticking to it! I haven't fallen off the training wagon completely, though. I am pool wogging & lap swimming in the 95º noodle soup every day. It's supposed to cool off here some this weekend so I'll get back to wogging then. Not tonite though - headed for the Luau at the Poly! :sunny:

Jodi and Disnut, we lived in Wallingford, CT until last May (04) when we moved down here to FL. Still like to keep up with the CT connection since I spent my whole life there. :wave2:

Mel, if we get to WDW over the weekend, I'll give you a call. Have a great time if we don't see you. I think you said you are going to Chef Mickey's. Don't forget your camera!

Jodi-You can do it! We're all here to cheer each other on. PM me if you ever need a partner for a training wog (I don't go so fast but I'm persistant!)

Perfectmatch3000- you're in the position I hope to be in soon-living in FL! L

Now that the weather is better I'm planning to go out for a 4 mile wog this p.m. I'll try to call my old running buddy to see if she wants to go on this rare evening run!

Jody- definately not in your head about the TM. When you are running outdoors, it's tougher than the treadmill due to a variety of factors, but the two biggies are wind resistance and the fact that your legs are actually propelling your body forward on the road, as opposed to just running in place on the treadmill. If you raise up the incline, that should help some.

Greenyskp- Welcome! Always glad to have someone new join up! Looks like you are doing great so far!

I was able to do 3 miles today in 26:48!!! :banana: That's 8:56 pace! And it felt great too. I have a rest day tomorrow and then back to back 3 milers Saturday and Sunday. I can't believe I am looking forward to running :confused: Where's the formerly lazy me??

Happy running/walking/wogging all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Hey everyone!

Haven't posted ina few days but I've been reading :) Tuesday I did my first speed workout--6x400s. It was fun but difficult. I can definately see how speed workouts can improve your pace after a while. Today I did the core workout from RW and 20 mins elliptical.

Jodi--I run exclusively on the TM until Sept/Oct. Its just too hot here! Yes, there is a difference when running outside but I don't think its too significant. Almost all running mags tell you to put the TM to a 1.0 incline to simulate outdoor conditions. I only have mine at .5 right now but even that feels a lot different than 0.

Hi everyone.

I made it through surgery. The anesthesia (Sp?) really knocked me for a loop. It took me 6 hours in recovery before I could sit up. But I'm fine now. Going stir crazy not running. I'm allowed to lie with my feet elevated or walk, no sitting or standing. So I've done a fair bit of walking. Doc says no running until our post-op visit Aug 9 :(

Craig: glad you survived CO. I know two people who had heart attacks trying to be their usual active selves in CO. I'm originally from CO myself :) I agree whole-heartedly about training in the heat. The heat and humidity make such a huge difference in performance and endurance. I'm wondering what the FL temps will be like on us northerners who train in ~30s F temps through December.

Angie-Ohio: I meant to comment on your post about digestive troubles last week. I suffer them BIG time. I haven't come up with the perfect solution yet, but I manage my long runs by eating zero fiber the night before (no fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc). Usually, my diet is very high fiber, but I switch my foods for my long run. I also don't eat before I head out for my long run. I usually mix some protein powder (egg & milk or whey) in crystal light and that's my pre-run breakfast. Even so, I am still VERY grateful there is a bathroom at mile 6. I need it everytime :( Hal Higdon talks about training your body to eliminate on a regular schedule. I haven't mastered that! It sure would be nice.

I started reading First Marathons and love it. I am stuck lying around the house all this week so books are good. I also bought "I Run Therefore I am Nuts". I have been in stitches reading this one. We runners truly are an odd bunch. I highly recommend it for commic relief. Its not a training book, just a really fun book to read.

I can't wait to be back and post a great run....

Oh, I have a question. What happens if your chip fails? Surely that must happen from time to time. Do you still get an official time? I know I sound paranoid, but I can't help but ponder all the things that could go wrong!!!!!

Sunny

Sunny - so glad to see you post. I have been thinking about you and wondering how your surgery went! I have no clue about the chip failing, but I'll bet they record your time on the clock that is at the finish line. Surely you will still be official. Keep us posted on your progress. Will the MD let you aqua jog?

Hey everyone :banana:

Today I did 3 miles. I really pushed myself and was done in 43 minutes and 56 seconds (which is a pace of a little under 14.75 :earseek: minutes per mile). That's a PR for me! :cheer2: :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Yay! :teeth:

I love how exercising makes me feel good about myself! :sunny:

Way to go Zela and Solo. Those 3 mile times are good indicators of success on January 7 or 8. The cool part about running is your only benchmark is yourself. Every PR is to be celebrated.

Sunny

Get better and control your instincts. August 9 is a very short window, so in spite of yourself try to stay patient. Remember we're all in it for the long run in January. 10 days off now means absolutely nothing.

I cannot believe we're both originally from Colorado, and now live about 10 miles apart on the opposite side of the country. On cue, "It's a small world, after all (repeat for 15 minutes to drive every adult in the state insane :teeth: )."

kaf

When I was fast (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), I trained and lived by Joe Henderson's "Run Farther, Run Faster." His point about speed work is exactly in line with your comments. The only way to run fast is to run fast. And fast is any pace, depending on who we are and what our fitness level is. The key is doing some speed work trains your body to go quicker than targeted race pace, and still relax. It's no good to exhaust yourself when going at race pace, so by doing some work a bit quicker, when race day arrives and you carry your target pace, your body will feel like you are moving along slow and relaxed.

For the treadmill, when I have to use it (ice here is an invitation to the emergency room) I set the incline at 0.5. That actually is harder than running on the flat outside in my experience. 1.0 is really tough, and nothing is pretty darn easy.

Craig

hey there folks! long time no see. although i haven't been posting, we have been doing our exercises for the wedding (34 days) and the 2007 full. we got a new bonus plan at work, that gives us $10,000 across 12 months if we make our sales goal for that month. So there have ben a lot of early mornings and late nights. gotta pay for that WDW wedding somehow!
me and the bride have eliminated ice cream, fried foods, and really only have 1 carb a day. she's been doing her exercise tapes and I've been biking. not too much walking since we're home close to sunset. :(
however today we walked across the street to the park and played tennis for a little more than an hour. granted it was mostly running around since both of us stink at tennis, but that actually worked out well since we were both dripping after we were done.
i tried jogging a couple times, but the extra weight really stinks. i could only make it about a mile before my lungs started acting up. kinda gross so scroll down if you don't wanna hear, but i'm curious on why this happens

GROSS PART--> i had pnemonia (sp?) my senior year of high school (i'm almost 26 now), and ever since whenever my lungs are really active i get a taste of blood. nothing red comes out, but its a very distinctive taste. any clue why, after almost 10 years, this still happens? and no, i've never been to the doc . .. that's just b/c i'm a guy, and its against our code to see a doc.

only 10-15 more pounds to loose for me and i'm smart enough not to ask her how many left. can we do it in the next month? stay tuned.
~ chris

solotraveler: WElcome to the land of GPS! They are wonderful, aren't they!!!

Paul: Hubby is in Las Cruces Right now--I'll be at there at Christmas time--returning just before the marathon. I hope y'all have good winter weather!!!

Minnie--the rule is 10% increase..I don't recall how much you missed...but if you only missed a week..you would probably be on target to attempt the 5 miles.....if more than a week...just use this week to work back in the training and next week to continue where you left off.

Jodi--I think my TM works very well compared to outdoors....and this is why: It is boring as heck....so those long runs outside feel like FREEDOM....and I do speed training much better on the TM than outside. So if I train hard on the TM---the leisurely long runs will by default improve (as long as I don't deliberately slack off or anything). I'm actually using my TM for hill training right now to strengthen my quads and hams as they don't seem as strong as they should. It also helps me better have a feel for maintaining pacing as well.

Stephanie--WELCOME!!!!!

solotraveler---I want that pace ;) Well Done!!!

kaf7878--maybe that is why I don't notice too much a difference--my TM is set at 1.0 incline as default.

Sunny--I missed what your surgery is for...hope all is okay and you recover well! You verify your chip is functioning when you pick it up. If it functions at Expo it will function at the race :) They will photograph you at finish--so you will get that type. For chip failure--no real remedy to that and no official time if it does fail :(.

ham53--1 carb per day--better be careful....not really any such thing as cutting carbs in training for a marathon. It is great you are losing weight--but this was one of the very first things our coaches told us. Good carbs--are GOOD for the athlete ;)

Okay--I checked up on pages 5 and 6.

I'm having a LAZY week!!! I hate my pilates DVD--not the work..I just hate the pacing of a video taped program. So today I did my prescribed exercises. I might just watch the DVD and take notes on the exercises and incorporate the ones I don't have in my routine. It is a good workout---but I don't like any of that kind of stuff. I like to just get it DONE!!

Today I didn't feel up to running....so I said, what the heck--lets do speed drills. So did that! Did 3.25 miles, I think including warmup and cool down. Avg 14 minute mile when walk breaks are considered. No real way to take them out of the equation.

Long run on Saturday---as long as I get up early (5am runs!!) I plan on getting to 4 miles of running. Did 3.5 last Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter