Week Before Labor Day

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Any Canadians take advantage of our schools going back later than US and book a Disney trip the week leading up to Labor Day ? And if so, do you go to Disney World or Disneyland?

We're thinking of doing this next summer, and because of Orlando humidity, we're thinking of trying Disneyland. Only bad thing to that may change this is that Haunted Mansion will be shut down...and it's DD and my favorite.

We've been going to DW the week leading up to labour day every year since 2010. We go regardless of a late or early labour day weekend. :)

We've been going to DW the week leading up to labour day every year since 2010. We go regardless of a late or early labour day weekend. :)

It's a great time for crowds and cost (usually free dining too?). We considered DW that week. How do you manage with the weather?

It's a great time for crowds and cost (usually free dining too?). We considered DW that week. How do you manage with the weather?
It's really hot. We just try to avoid being outside mid day in the direct sunlight. Luckily there are many cloudy/rainy days. We drink lots of water.

We've done WDW 3 times during this week. It's hot and expect mid-late after showers most days but we've found it a good week for crowds. Note flying you may pay a little more the long weekend with all other Canadian's heading home with school age kids. Heading back now from and it being in the low 30's, the last week of summer definitely hotter but as long as all stay hydrated, it can be a good time to travel (is by no means slow or quiet, just not park capacity crazy).

We usually go a week and a half before the long weekend to get a cheaper flight back. Each day is planned using the morning Magic Hours to avoid the heat. We take a mid-day break and return to the resort pools or an afternoon nap while the sun is strong and return after the regular afternoon rain for dinner at the same park. You avoid the heat, heavier crowds and the rain. It's a somewhat slower time of year but with the Bouncebacks, Free Dining, and special Agency Deals, the parks are a little busier year after year around this time.

We usually go a week and a half before the long weekend to get a cheaper flight back. Each day is planned using the morning Magic Hours to avoid the heat. We take a mid-day break and return to the resort pools or an afternoon nap while the sun is strong and return after the regular afternoon rain for dinner at the same park. You avoid the heat, heavier crowds and the rain. It's a somewhat slower time of year but with the Bouncebacks, Free Dining, and special Agency Deals, the parks are a little busier year after year around this time.

Pretty much nailed it. Yes it is hot. Yes it is humid. Yes you can end up the usual afternoon thunderstorm. Consider that natures way of weeding out the weaker visitors. And there are fewer visitors at this time of year than peak times. Which makes for a far more pleasant vacation experience.

Thanks for the replies. I would do the humidity but don't think DH would go (which is why he suggested we try Disneyland).

Anyone gone to Disneyland this week?

We are going from Aug 28-Sept 7. Really hoping I am not going to die in the heat. Hopefully we will get there earlier so we can head to the resort for the afternoon. Usually we don't move very quickly with 4 smaller kids, one in a wheelchair (and Grandma).

We did that a couple of times and the crowds weren't bad until the weekend when they picked up some. Be prepared for melt-your-face-off heat if you go to WDW was the only big negative. Longer park hours left time for midday breaks though which helped a lot.

We now go the second week after Labour Day and that works well for us as my DD is still young. When she's older we'll probably move back to the week you're considering.

Thanks for the replies. I would do the humidity but don't think DH would go (which is why he suggested we try Disneyland).

Anyone gone to Disneyland this week?

We've done DL in August 4 times and we try and hit around a week, week and a half before Labour Day. We usually plan to go right after the AP block is lifted because that is after most of the CA schools are back in session. It is hot but not humid and we have always had a good time and the crowds have never been terrible.

We've done DL in August 4 times and we try and hit around a week, week and a half before Labour Day. We usually plan to go right after the AP block is lifted because that is after most of the CA schools are back in session. It is hot but not humid and we have always had a good time and the crowds have never been terrible.

Thank for replying. Good to know that the weather is more manageable without the humidity. That's what I was hoping.

So for crowds, wait for AP to be done and CA schools back in session. Was Haunted Mansion always closed during this time? I have a feeling we'll be in a big dilemma as DD and I so would love to see HM, but this time seems ideal.

Thank for replying. Good to know that the weather is more manageable without the humidity. That's what I was hoping.

So for crowds, wait for AP to be done and CA schools back in session. Was Haunted Mansion always closed during this time? I have a feeling we'll be in a big dilemma as DD and I so would love to see HM, but this time seems ideal.

DS is not a HM fan so it has never really been on our radar. Maybe pop on over to the DL side of the boards and ask about usual close dates for the overlay?

We've also stayed the last week before Labor Day at Disneyland to run the Disneyland Half Marathon. I see it's scheduled for September 1 - 4, 2016 but not sure about 2017. The crowds were a little heavier leading up to the weekend but we had a great rate for the Disneyland Hotel and tickets through the organizers (you didn't have to be a runner either).

Yes! We are going to DL the last week in August, the 29th to Sept 2nd. As the poster above me mentioned, there is a marathon that weekend so we anticipate it being a bit busier on the Thursday but that's ok :)

I have been to DL and WDW the week after Labour Day. The crowds were very busy at DL and the hours and events were less than summer. WDW was not very crowded but was hot and humid.

If given the choice again I would pick WDW. I have been to DL a week or two after Labour Day and it was still very crowded (haven't been in the summer but I wouldn't even try).

Yes! We are going to DL the last week in August, the 29th to Sept 2nd. As the poster above me mentioned, there is a marathon that weekend so we anticipate it being a bit busier on the Thursday but that's ok :)

Just to get an idea of how crowds work. Do you mean that crowds will be good from Mon Aug 29 - Wed Aug 31, but then will pick up due to the marathon? Trying to plan for next summer, but similar week.

I have been to DL and WDW the week after Labour Day. The crowds were very busy at DL and the hours and events were less than summer. WDW was not very crowded but was hot and humid.

If given the choice again I would pick WDW. I have been to DL a week or two after Labour Day and it was still very crowded (haven't been in the summer but I wouldn't even try).

Sorry to hear the crowds were so busy. Wonder why, since you mention after labor day.
We are looking at going before labor day, but end of the summer. Most likely 4th week in August, but maybe pulling it back to the 3rd week.

Just to get an idea of how crowds work. Do you mean that crowds will be good from Mon Aug 29 - Wed Aug 31, but then will pick up due to the marathon? Trying to plan for next summer, but similar week.

From what I've been reading online, yes. The first half of that week should be 'quieter' and as people arrive in town for the Marathon the crowds start to pick up on Thursday (which would be Sept 1st this year).

Yes we have been to DW that week and we are going for that week again this year. By far the parks are less crowded than at any other time of year we have gone. After all, even people who don't think twice about kids missing school won't plan for their kids to miss the first week of school.

As a new resident of Canada, I do have to chuckle a bit at the "melt your face off heat" comments. I suppose in another few years I'll have adjusted to the climate up here and then perhaps we'll feel differently, but for us as long as we dress appropriately and stay inside for mid-day the heat really isn't so bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter