Week after Thanksgiving

CapnJacksGirl

Mom to two little scalliwags!
When does the Thanksgiving crowd die down? I'm assuming the Sunday after Thanksgiving would be a mass exodus....am I right?

We're planning (way ahead) for a week with my brother's family at WDW, and we're hoping to go the week after Thanksgiving. I've seen predictions/recommendations for lower crowds during the first two weeks of December, which happens to be the week after Thanksgiving in 2013. I'm hoping the fact that Thanksgiving is later in the month of November next year doesn't mess that up!

Can someone help with info? (I still have a little while to plan since we're not within the 499 day window yet.)

When does the Thanksgiving crowd die down? I'm assuming the Sunday after Thanksgiving would be a mass exodus....am I right?

We're planning (way ahead) for a week with my brother's family at WDW, and we're hoping to go the week after Thanksgiving. I've seen predictions/recommendations for lower crowds during the first two weeks of December, which happens to be the week after Thanksgiving in 2013. I'm hoping the fact that Thanksgiving is later in the month of November next year doesn't mess that up!

Can someone help with info? (I still have a little while to plan since we're not within the 499 day window yet.)

Pretty much. The week after Thanksgiving generally sees low crowds.

Yes indeed. Avoid Thanksgiving and Black Friday like the plague. The absolute most crowded I've ever seen it next to New Years. The next week, very smooth.

We were there for Thnaksgiving this year. We went from the Monday before to the Monday after. It was pretty busy up until Friday. Saturday was busy but not as busy as the previous days. Sunday was awesome! We spent the day at MK and there were no lines!

We went back to MK for MVMCP that night. The party wasn't that busy either. We got a spot in Fronteirland for the parade. Staked it out about an hour before the parade. We could have easily walked up 20 min before the parade and gotten a great spot.

The crowds were really low on Monday as well. I really wish we could go that week, but the kids are getting too big to take out of school.

I had the same question. Thanks!

While researching the same dates I ran across the Pop Warner week at Walt Disney World December 2-8.
Here is what I've read on other sites about the crowds during this event -

"You will see some of the kids at the Disney Parks, but not to many. Most of the time, they are at the games or competitions.
One concern during Pop Warner Super Bowl is your resort choice. If you are staying at one of the Disney Value Resorts like Disney's Pop Century Resort or Disney's All Star Resorts, you may want to move your dates around or change resorts. Most of these sporting groups stay at these Disney Value Resorts, which means alot more kids and alot more noise. That is really the main concern with Pop Warner Super Bowl events."

I suppose that is why those particular dates are blacked out for the free dining plan that is now offered for Fall. Please reply if you find any more information on the weekend and week following Thanksgiving.

You may want to read this -
http://**************.net/2010/05/30/pop-warner-week-at-walt-disney-world/

mesaboy2 said:
Pretty much. The week after Thanksgiving generally sees low crowds.

Used to be, but not any more.

I have arrived the Saturday after Thanksgiving almost every year since 2000 and it is no longer dead like it used to be. It is not as busy as the week before, but no longer dead.

With free dining and room discounts the last few years, it has been busy. Also, the locals start to show up in the evening to see the decorations.

A,Q few years ago, it took us 45 minutes just to check in; the line was out the front door at POR.

On our last day, it was raining and we were at DHS. We went to every TS restaurant to get lunch and out of the rain and they were all booked solid until late in the evening.

Used to go that week every year for my son's birthday. Best time to go (IMO). Weather is usually perfect and crowds are low(er). Used to be like a ghost town that week but not any longer.

Stay away from MK the days they're recording the parade though. Gets kinda crazy there.

We were there for Thnaksgiving this year. We went from the Monday before to the Monday after. It was pretty busy up until Friday. Saturday was busy but not as busy as the previous days. Sunday was awesome! We spent the day at MK and there were no lines!

We went back to MK for MVMCP that night. The party wasn't that busy either. We got a spot in Fronteirland for the parade. Staked it out about an hour before the parade. We could have easily walked up 20 min before the parade and gotten a great spot.
The crowds were really low on Monday as well. I really wish we could go that week, but the kids are getting too big to take out of school.

I just clicked on this thread to talk about MVMCP that weekend. We also where at that party and it was fabulous. Not crowded at all. Well worth paying full price. We also went to MNSSHP and we got twice as much stuff done at MVMCP including eating and still were finished before midnight. We stayed until Wed that week and everyday after Sat it got less and less busy. It was great.

Just booked our trip for the week after Thanksgiving 2013 (Friday to Friday). Didn't think about the ABC Christmas Day parade taping. Anyone know anything else about it? How many days does it mess up the Magic Kingdom? Is the MK closed the day of taping? When are the dates announced for it? Thanks!

We've been during Thanksgiving week and vowed not to do that again.

Last year we went from the Sat. after the holiday until the following Saturday. Spent our arrival day at the Poly Volcano Pool to avoid the crowds and hit the MK at rope drop the next day. It was perfect, and the rest of the week was smooth sailing as well. Great time to visit, IMO.

If memory serves, the Christmas parade taping was the Saturday that we left (1st Sat. in Dec.), so we just avoided the MK that day. Our friends had a lunch reservation there, however, so they went and reported that lines weren't bad. I guess everyone was on Main St. or at the castle.

So, to answer your question, I think the crowds are still heavy on Saturday but things quiet down a lot by Sunday.

We went in 2008 and arrived the day after Thanksgiving. Had dinner in Epcot that evening. It was busier than usual but still doable. The weekend was busier than usual, but yes you are right, on Sunday it emptied out and the following week was wonderful! It's a lot fun to experience lots of crowds then low crowds than it to be the other way around. :)

Our usual time (including our upcoming trip) is arriving the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I agree that its not as slow as it used to be at that time (we used to be able to practically walk into everything), but most days were still pretty short waits.

The exception was MK on the days that had the fireworks - everything had long lines.

Used to be, but not any more.

I have arrived the Saturday after Thanksgiving almost every year since 2000 and it is no longer dead like it used to be. It is not as busy as the week before, but no longer dead.

With free dining and room discounts the last few years, it has been busy. Also, the locals start to show up in the evening to see the decorations.

A,Q few years ago, it took us 45 minutes just to check in; the line was out the front door at POR.

On our last day, it was raining and we were at DHS. We went to every TS restaurant to get lunch and out of the rain and they were all booked solid until late in the evening.

Yeah, yeah, I get it. ;) Crowds have increased over time. Just like inflation. The point is that week is not as busy as the weeks immediately around it. :goodvibes

Arrived on Black Friday last year. Week was great! The next weekend not so much. Busiest I've ever seen MK.

I'm hoping this trend continues in 2012. We are planning to arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving and stay til following Saturday.

We are planning to be there from Sat. 24, leaving Sat. Dec 1. I am hoping for reasonable wait times, but f not...hey, I'm at WDW, seeing it decked out for the holidays for the first time! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter