Week 3 - Your Assignment, Should You Choose To Accept It

wvrevy

Daddy to da' princess, which I guess makes me da'
Ok, it's still a new game, so here are the rules:

1 - Try to take new shots each week to post. The idea is to encourage people to get creative and actually take pictures, not just post those that you've taken in the past.

2 - Each person can post up to three different pictures to the thread. This should give everyone the opportunity to try out some different ideas.

3 - Discussion on the thread is highly encouraged. Wanna know how someone got that great shot? ASK, cause there's probably three other people wondering the same thing. :teeth:

4 - Let's try to keep the pics to a similar size as those on the "contest" threads. No real limit, but it makes it easier on everyone if we don't have to do too much scrolling to see your pics. Try to make it so that no one side of the picture is more than 800 pixels.

5 - Have fun! We're going to do this at least this week as a "discussion" thread, both to generate more interest and to make sure that everyone is comfortable with posting their pics out there for others to see (I know I'm not the only newbie involved ;) ). But this is supposed to be fun, 'cause even if we do go to a "contest" format, the winner don't get nothin' but braggin' rights. :woohoo:

I will post a new "theme" each week on Monday sometime (most likely in the mornings, but it depends on what else is goin' on out here in the real world), and the theme will run through the following Monday. Once we get into this a little we may find a different schedule works better, but we'll try it out this way and see how it goes.

*****Here's a hint: If you're planning on playing along in the weeks to come, go ahead and take a look at the upcoming themes at the bottom of this post. That way, you can get a head start and already be thinking along those lines as you're looking for shots for this week's theme!*****

Ok...now for the fun stuff:

This week's theme is: Reflection

Description: Ok, this week you're gonna have to get a little creative. The objective here is to get everyone to start noticing the reflections we see all around us. It could be a pastoral scene as reflected in a still lake, it could be a street scene as reflected in store windows, or it could be a self portrait. Doesn't matter how you decide to use the theme, just so your shots connect with the title. :teeth:

THREAD END DATE: MAY 11, 2008

Upcoming themes:

May 12: Substitutiary Locomotion (Movement)
May 19: I Wanna Be Like You (Things in Pairs)
May 26: It's a Small World After All (Macro)
June 2: Colors of the Wind (Blue)
June 9: Following the Leader (Things in a Line)

Ok...that's it. Now go grab those cameras and get to work! :thumbsup2

:Pinkbounc

Just wanted to make sure this didn't get lost. :teeth:

I like this subject matter. :) Here's one I took this past winter down at one of the lakes here in town.

302408431.jpg

Hi, I'm new to photography (well, I've been taking 'snaps' for years of course but I'm new to trying anything other than turning on the camera and pressing the button) so please go easy on me! :love: Of course I would welcome any advice :)

I took these yesterday, the first one was actually taken on auto I think :rolleyes:

P1000483.jpg

Then I took this view (on 'scenery' setting) ...

P1000496.jpg

I know the horizon isn't straight - it's better on this version (taken on AP) but I don't think I like the colour so much? :confused: (but I'm not really sure which is better!)

P1000495.jpg

I haven't done anything at all to any of the photos, mainly because I don't really know how to! I have ordered Photoshop Elements though so it should arrive sometime this week and I can try it out :)

Here are my three for the week...

Hey, who's that?
p898306473-3.jpg

This one is more of a silhouette ;)
p415623383-3.jpg

I wish the reflection was stronger in this one, but the trees hardly had any leaves (2 weeks ago)
p63634600-3.jpg

Ok, these 2 photos are NOT my entry for this assignment, but I just HAD to share them. I'm a band mom - DS18 is graduating this year after 5 years in marching band, DS16 has been marching for the past 2. Back in 2005, the theme of our show was "Reflections" - Reflections of Form, Sound and Light. DH was in charge of building the props, and they came up with these mylar-covered pyramids that would spin during the "Reflections of Light" movement. Our garage was used as the workshop for a good 4-6 weeks. So whenever I hear the word "Reflections", this is the first thing I think about.

Here is the prototype; they ended up building 7 of them in all:
IMG_1934.jpg

And here's how they looked during a night performance:
IMG_1946.jpg

Ok, now back to your regular thread. And now I have to find some kind of reflection.......wonder if Andy will post one of his water drop photos? He got some good princess reflections there.

Ok, now back to your regular thread. And now I have to find some kind of reflection.......wonder if Andy will post one of his water drop photos? He got some good princess reflections there.

Ok, ok, here is one of my water droplet photos. For those who haven't read the entire S3/S5 IS thread, we decided at one time (about a year ago) to try to get photos of water droplets. Well, my sink wasn't so clean and I wanted a nice backdrop for the photos so I put some princess wrapping paper behind the water. To my surprise, it reflected (actually magnified upside down) the photo on the paper. I eventually ended up with all the princesses in their own water droplets, but this one is the best one I have on photobucket right now. It was taken with my S2IS. Here it is:

droplet2.jpg

Thanks for re-posting that shot, Andy! Funny how some photos just stick in your mind, isn't it?

Oooh, I just thought of another reflection shot: Linda's (Pea-n-me) night shot at MGM that was a reflection of a store front in the top of a very clean garbage can.

Ok, I'll stop now. wkrevy is going to kick me off this thread soon! :rolleyes1 The whole purpose is for us to go out and take NEW photos, not re-post old ones. I promise not to post again until I have a recent reflection shot. Scout's honor, cross my heart....

Actually, I thought of Lindas MGM shot too when I first saw this assignment! :lmao: I am going to try to get some new reflection shots to add to this thread as well. I don't think they will involve water droplets but somehow my pics end up with water drops in them in one form or another! :lmao:

Ok, ok, here is one of my water droplet photos. For those who haven't read the entire S3/S5 IS thread, we decided at one time (about a year ago) to try to get photos of water droplets. Well, my sink wasn't so clean and I wanted a nice backdrop for the photos so I put some princess wrapping paper behind the water. To my surprise, it reflected (actually magnified upside down) the photo on the paper. I eventually ended up with all the princesses in their own water droplets, but this one is the best one I have on photobucket right now. It was taken with my S2IS. Here it is:

droplet2.jpg

Now that is just cool! Nice job!

Andy and Amy, you guys are funny! Believe it or not, I didn't even think of the MGM shot - but I will repost it because that "reflection" caused quite a bit of controversy (is it a puddle? is it a car? is it a table? is it a trashcan?) :lmao: That water shot assignment was memorable, too, LOL.

Taken at closing time in Jan, 2005, with my old 3.1MP pns from atop a trash can, a tip I'd just learned on the Dis. (First place winner Aug, 07.)

DisneyJan.2005510.jpg

These I just took recently experimenting with my new camera:

P3110525.jpg

Using a tripod practicing long exposures at sunset
P4101729_e.jpg

Another reflection picture that I really liked - I don't remember who took it though - was a photo of the back windows of the Animal Kingdom Lodge - and the windows were filled with big white puffy clouds and a blue sky. It was soooo cool looking!

Ok, I'll stop now. wkrevy is going to kick me off this thread soon! :rolleyes1 The whole purpose is for us to go out and take NEW photos, not re-post old ones. I promise not to post again until I have a recent reflection shot. Scout's honor, cross my heart....

Nope. :teeth: At this point, we're still just doing a discussion thread instead of a contest, and those kinda shots can serve as inspiration for others, so I not only don't wanna kick you off, but I agree with you. :thumbsup2

Now...go shoot some new stuff. ;)

Now that is just cool! Nice job!

Agreed! Very cool shot, Andy!

droplet2.jpg
good job Andy! the water dropplet string looks like earrings

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter