Wedding photos

the cake cutting picture is tilted slightly, you should level it out. Also the knife picture, I coulnd't tell what it was until someone mentioned what it was.

Thanks for the input... I will mess around a bit and see if I can level it out... :thumbsup2

A close friend has asked me to photograph her outdoor wedding. She's not expecting professional, but I want to do a good job. I have a Canon XT with a 50mm, 1.8 and a Canon 28-135, 3.5-5.6. Good but not excellent lenses.

I was thinking of renting a few lenses for the occasion. I'd have to do them mail order since I live in BFE, so any recs? Also, what lenses would be best for low-light or action? I'm thinking one or two rentals at most.

Thanks!

I would suggest:
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L
Flash
Backup Camera

Also, make sure you have plenty of CF cards and extra batteries.

My friend has the XTi so I could have use both hers and mine. Definitely would like to try an L series lens because I'll never be able to afford one. Any kind of flash in particular?

I'd rent the 70-200L F2.8 as the PP mentioned and possibly the 50mm F1.2 or Sigma 50mm F1.4 for portraits. I'd recommend practicing with these bad boys before the big day though as DOF can be a tricky bugger.

Go with the 530EX II (or the older but still very good 530EX). You might also want to ask about renting a lightsphere or some other type of diffuser with the flash.

Along with the 70-200 2.8 you might want to get the 24-70 2.8L. Since you'll have two bodies, you can keep each lens on a body at all times and have a very effective range from 24-70 & 70-200.

the 85 or 135 l lens are good too. i have used lensrental.com. i would rent for 2 weeks to get some practice time in. price was not much more for a two week rental. i rented 100-400 l lens and have bought a 80-200 l lens because of the rental.

Let me preface this as I am not a pro wedding photo guy. After shooting some weddings for friends, I really respect what they do!

Definitely the 70-200mm f.2.8! The 24-70 f/2.8 is a nice compliment. The 50mm f1/2 or the 85mm f/1.2 both have sweat bokeh for portraits and seem to be used by many wedding photogs. Careful shooting at shallow depth of field, though. I would practice first.

If you have not shot weddings before, I will tell you it is real work. You will run yourself to death covering the event. I had my wife and daughter with myself shooting different angles to make sure I got a shot. Wife with tripod on long zoom, daughter covering aisle, and myself mobile. If she has a video tape person, you both will need to work together.

Even though you are doing this to help, they may expect certain shots. Do not miss things like bride coming down aisle, grooms entering, parents entering, etc. This can all happen so fast. If you have a buddy to help, ask them. Go to the rehearsal.

Good luck. You are a true friend and she is lucky to have someone like you.

Chuck

The 24-70 and the 70-200, both f2.8, are my work horses at a wedding.
I also love the 50mm and the 85mm for portraits; however on the crop frame xti, I'd choose the 50 over the 85, especially indoors.

Flash and decent flash skills are important as well.

I have to agree with Chuck. Be very very very careful with what expectations are prior to the wedding. Brides will often say they just want some pictures to capture the day... that tune changes SO QUICKLY after the wedding is over. The biggest beef I hear from friends of brides is "I wish I had hired a professional wedding photographer for my wedding."

They just realize too little, too late, that investing in photography was probably the single most important thing they could have done at their wedding. But it's too late then.... But just make sure you know which shots are most important and make sure you nail those!

You will be massively busy - expect to not sit down the entire day. It's usually about 6-7 hours from time of arrival before I'm able to use the bathroom for the first time. Luckily I have an assist who makes sure I keep well hydrated that entire time - else I'd be out of luck.

Since it is outdoor, what time of day is it? How will the sun be shining on the area before, during, and after the ceremony? Will the reception be indoors or outdoors?

I'd advise to know all this before hand. Write down the type of shots the bride wants, note when in the ceremony it is and then divide the rest for before or after the ceremony. You will need to be very organized to keep the flow of the day going. People already don't like waiting for the bridal party to take pictures before doing the reception; you don't want to make them wait any longer. If possible, I'd ask to practice during the rehearsal with full on flash and everything so you'll be more comfortable.

Also, get extra batteries for both cameras and have them charged as well. You can get second source batteries for those cameras for under 20 bucks online.

Practice with the flash.
Practice with the flash.
PRACTICE with the flash. :)

A StroboFrame flash bracket works very well to keep the shadows down.

Does the bride expect certain shots? She might but she might not have expressed them to you. Do you know how to get those shots.

Will your camera work in low light? Its an outdoor wedding but if it is overcast and shaded it can be darker than you would like. Can your camera handle the required ISO without noise? Can you use the flash effectively? Will the flash work in the space? Worse yet what if the wedding is in the open at noon on cloudless day?

DOF with a wide open lens with a large F stop like 1.4/1.8 is very shallow. One subject can be in focus while another subject just a foot or so on a different plane can be out of focus.

You really should have a back up camera, lenses, memory cards and flashes.

Set expectations with the bride. There are lots of horror stories on www.photo.net in the wedding area. If the bride cannot afford a professional that is understandable. Professional wedding photographers ain't cheap. But she should not be expecting professional photos from a non professional with non professional gear.

The guy that photographed our wedding had good gear but we did not like the photos. We bought NONE of them. Either his prints were messed up or it was his photos. Given the lab he used is the best in the area and the most expensive I ain't blaming the lab.

Wedding photography is expensive because it takes expensive equipment to cover the different lighting requirements from wedding to wedding. And one should have back ups of most of the expensive equipment. Oh, yeah, then there is the skill to use the equipment. :)

Shoot RAW. Shoot RAW. Shoot RAW.

Later,
Dan

Just a few more details...its going to be an afternoon wedding in GA in November. I'm thinking its going to be around 5 pm, so it'll be sunset during the wedding, and low light at the reception. I don't know where the sun will be (the ceremony is at a pond).

This is my friend's 2nd marriage, and she can afford any photographer she wants, so I'm thinking she just wants to keep it simple. I'm not even sure she wants many posed pics. The wedding party is very small with one attendant each.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will talk to her and find out her expectations. She knows I'm not a professtional or anywhere near it :rotfl:, so she wouldn't ask me expecting the that. Plus she knows I'm a guest and doesn't want me working the whole time. I really think she'd be happpy with a few great snapshots.

Thanks!!

Just a few more details...its going to be an afternoon wedding in GA in November. I'm thinking its going to be around 5 pm, so it'll be sunset during the wedding, and low light at the reception. I don't know where the sun will be (the ceremony is at a pond).

This is my friend's 2nd marriage, and she can afford any photographer she wants, so I'm thinking she just wants to keep it simple. I'm not even sure she wants many posed pics. The wedding party is very small with one attendant each.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will talk to her and find out her expectations. She knows I'm not a professtional or anywhere near it :rotfl:, so she wouldn't ask me expecting the that. Plus she knows I'm a guest and doesn't want me working the whole time. I really think she'd be happpy with a few great snapshots.

Thanks!!

Photographing a wedding is a lot of pressure but I think reading this thread has totally scared me off of the idea that I'd ever remotely consider shooting one! :rotfl:

It does sound like this is someone close who would just like you to capture the moment. My friend just got married in July and she asked me to take a few pictures for her- after she already hired a $2500 photographer (2 shooters, two cameras each). She absolutely adored the pictures I took (I came with only my Canon XSi, 30mm f/1.4 attached because I didn't have anything with a wide aperture other than my 100mm macro). She even said she had wished I had done her wedding (now THAT, I wouldn't have done).

Goodluck. The photographers at her wedding that I talked to said they swear by their 24-70 f/2.8L's. Same thing with another wedding photographer I chatted with at a wedding the previous weekend (just FYI, 10 weddings in one season is... a little too much. But you get to talk to a lot of wedding photographers!! :rotfl:)

Photographing a wedding is a lot of pressure but I think reading this thread has totally scared me off of the idea that I'd ever remotely consider shooting one! :rotfl:

It does sound like this is someone close who would just like you to capture the moment. My friend just got married in July and she asked me to take a few pictures for her- after she already hired a $2500 photographer (2 shooters, two cameras each). She absolutely adored the pictures I took (I came with only my Canon XSi, 30mm f/1.4 attached because I didn't have anything with a wide aperture other than my 100mm macro). She even said she had wished I had done her wedding (now THAT, I wouldn't have done).

Goodluck. The photographers at her wedding that I talked to said they swear by their 24-70 f/2.8L's. Same thing with another wedding photographer I chatted with at a wedding the previous weekend (just FYI, 10 weddings in one season is... a little too much. But you get to talk to a lot of wedding photographers!! :rotfl:)

A long long time ago when I did weddings we stayed away from zoom lenses because they were not sharp and were slow. But when computers took over designing them it solved the problem.

Matter of fact the studio I worked for allowed 50mm only and leica M3 cameras. I did cheat at times and sneaked in an SLR with a telephoto. Didn't use it much as it was tricky focusing. The M3 focus was fast.

I have both the 24 - 70 and 70 - 200. Both very good lenses.

Like others have said get the 70-200 2.8 w/IS. But I wouldn't go for the 24-70 2.8. On that body I'd opt for the 17-55 2.8 instead. The wider length and IS on that lens will be more beneficial to you.

Thanks for posting the question vettechick99! Dh and I are in a similar fix, and the answers you received will help us both out a lot. Good luck on your wedding shoot! :goodvibes

OP, please forgive me for posting this on your thread, but since it's along the same lines, I'm hoping I can get some help.

My daughter was married in June. The photographer did a wonderful job! After looking at the proofs, I asked them what they would charge me for a CD of the pictures with the rights to them. They gave me, what I think is, an excellent price.

That means that I'll be printing the wedding pictures myself. Where is the best place to have that done. Quality is very important, of course, but I would also like it to be as economical as possible. I thought you folks were the best source for answers (maybe this will help the OP too :goodvibes). :thumbsup2

OP, please forgive me for posting this on your thread, but since it's along the same lines, I'm hoping I can get some help.

My daughter was married in June. The photographer did a wonderful job! After looking at the proofs, I asked them what they would charge me for a CD of the pictures with the rights to them. They gave me, what I think is, an excellent price.

That means that I'll be printing the wedding pictures myself. Where is the best place to have that done. Quality is very important, of course, but I would also like it to be as economical as possible. I thought you folks were the best source for answers (maybe this will help the OP too :goodvibes). :thumbsup2

Best quality and VERY affordable is Costco. I struck up a conversation with a photographer at a show in Charleston and asked where he got his printed and he said Costco or MPix. MPix is a more expensive but also great quality. Costco by far is the most reasonable I've seen.

I'll never go back to Walgreens or Target!!

Wow thank you for posting this thread! I too am shooting a wedding for a friend...her second wedding very small, not many attendants & very laid back...also in GA!!! I have been very stressed knowing that the wedding is coming up so soon! I am by no means a professional, but I will be staying at a Holiday Inn Express before the wedding!:rotfl2:
I never knew that you could rent lenses, I am definitely going to be looking into this! I saw one place listed in the thread are there any other favorites out there? TIA & Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter