Wedding guest fashion advice

I would say no to the black tight, just because I do think it would take away from the outfit...but I think the black dress would be fine. It's a formal event and it's winter, so dark colors seem like they should be OK. Maybe you can get some black boots instead of tights (don't know if that would look right though, would have to see them together)

I think the black dress would be absolutely fine. I definitely would not wear black tights, however. That would be too much. Perhaps some fun shoes with a bit of color.

I have a wedding to attend 11/11/11 at, you guessed it, 11am. Can I wear a black dress to the wedding?
Specifically, this dress (in black, not red)? http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/lan.../Chaps+Shift+Dress+with+Attached+Cardigan.jsp
If so, would black tights be to much black?

I don't think I've ever attended a daytime wedding before!

I like the dress, I think it's good. Personally, I wouldn't do the black tights, I think it woudl be too much black. I would use some brighter pop of color in my accessories with the dress: shoes and a matching bag or a big chunky necklace, etc. Just something to add a bit of color to the black. But that's just me.

First, gotta roll my eyes at all the 11s. :rolleyes: There, I feel better. ;)

Now... to me, that dress is awfully black. I guess it depends on the custom in your area. In a more metropolitan or fashion-forward area it's probably perfectly fine for a morning wedding. In my area it would seem too somber. Be sure to spark it up with a lot of jewelry or something so it looks more festive.

I would definitely not wear black tights. Black sheer hose, perhaps, but that's still a lot of dark.

I probably would not wear solid black to a daytime wedding. A formal evening wedding maybe but not daytime. I think it just depends on what in the norm in your area and the group attending the wedding. If you do go black (I think it would be fine just not my personal preference) definitely do NOT wear black tights..way too much black and I ditto the suggestion to wear some fun colored shoes for a pop of color (and maybe similarly geared accessories like a purse, costume jewelry..etc to break up the all black).

Very nice dress, but IMO the tights would be too much. Regular pantyhose should do the trick, with black heels.

Thanks for the advice. I really like the dress (got it for another event) and was hoping I could wear it to the wedding. No black tights and I'll add some colorful accessories. Thanks again.

First, gotta roll my eyes at all the 11s. :rolleyes: There, I feel better. ;)

Hey, now - from personal experience I guarantee the groom will never forget his anniversary! ;):rotfl:

(Married 9/9/99, but not at 9:00)

Another vote for yes = dress, no = tights.

I like the dress, I think it's good. Personally, I wouldn't do the black tights, I think it woudl be too much black. I would use some brighter pop of color in my accessories with the dress: shoes and a matching bag or a big chunky necklace, etc. Just something to add a bit of color to the black. But that's just me.

This.

I like the dress well enough but probably wouldn't feel right wearing black to a morning/noon-ish wedding. Back in the day, black was an absolute no-no at weddings. It has now evolved into "black is okay for evening weddings."

I have a Friday evening wedding to go to in December, very close to Christmas so my DD and I were out shopping for our attire. We went into BCBG where they do a lot of occasions in the particular store I go to. The saleswoman told me that black is fine for an evening wedding but it shouldn't be a "flat" black dress, it should have some sort of sparkle to the fabric or sheen. My daughter got a dress that is black netting at the top and then black, shiny sequins all over the dress. We were also told that the in thing this season for dresses like this is to wear shoes and purse that are in bold colors (usually a satin shoe) such as fuschia or royal blue. I have seen that it looks very festive.

Soooooooo, these days, basically anything goes and I'm sure you'll be fine because no one really cares but my personal thought is I wouldn't do black to a morning wedding. I think color is good.

Thanks for the advice. I really like the dress (got it for another event) and was hoping I could wear it to the wedding. No black tights and I'll add some colorful accessories. Thanks again.

I agree with this advice too. The dress is small enough that it's not overwhelmingly dark and would be fun with some bright accessories.

I like the dress well enough but probably wouldn't feel right wearing black to a morning/noon-ish wedding. Back in the day, black was an absolute no-no at weddings. It has now evolved into "black is okay for evening weddings."

Soooooooo, these days, basically anything goes and I'm sure you'll be fine because no one really cares but my personal thought is I wouldn't do black to a morning wedding. I think color is good.

I agree. Most people are fine with it, but I can't bring myself to wear black to weddings.

I also feel that black is a bit severe for a daytime wedding, but that is totally just my personal preference. Even being from NYC, where black is the daily dress code, I always wince when I see it at weddings. I am more comfortable with it during the colder months, oddly enough. Perhaps for summer and spring, it seems like such an oppressive color in the heat, but ok for the cooler autumn and winter months.

Pretty dress!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter