Wedding cake layers

feline figaro

WDW Bride May 2009 - WDW Vet
According to our contract only the top layer of the wedding cake can be removed from the ceremony location. What happens to the rest of the cake??

The top of the cake is for your one year anniversary. The bottom layers are for your guest. unless you would like to take it home with you, then I am sure they will box it up for you.

There's been a lot of discussion on this over the past couple of years.

There was only me and DH at our wedding so we had pretty much the whole cake left over. Our coordinator boxed up the whole thing and took it back to our room for us. We ended up taking it up to the concierge lounge at the Boardwalk and "forcing" ;) the CM's up there to share some with us. Afterwards we asked if it could be left in the lounge for other guests, but they said no...so we told them to take it to the employee lounge to share.

The top layers we did try to bring home...I was not prepared for that, it was poorly wrapped (my fault) and it didn't really travel well. We ended up throwing it away. :(

Some brides have said they didn't get to keep their cake. :confused3

I'm sure if you talk to your coordinator something can be arranged.

If you have your ceremony inside the parks they will not allow any food (with the exception of your top cake layer) to be removed from the premises. They claim this is a health violation. :confused3 Any other location should allow your cake to be boxed up.

I was told if it sits out for too long - ie full reception - the health violation still applies. We did an escape, we had a 3 tier cake and we took all the extra with us.

I was told if it sits out for too long - ie full reception - the health violation still applies. We did an escape, we had a 3 tier cake and we took all the extra with us.

You might be right...I didn't even think of that...ours was only out for about 2.5 hours. (We had it moved to Gardenview for tea)

Health food violation? Is that because there is mousse and other perishable fillings in the cakes?

My cake and champagne celebration is going to be short, so my coordinator said we could take it with us. The bottom layer is enough cake for 40 people and there will be 9 of us. I'm going to save some for dinner that night... but that's only only 18 shares out of the 40 share cake. I'm thinking of letting all you from the Disboards know where I will be shortly after my celebration is over so you all can come and help me with the cake :mickeybar

I'm doing an escape cake upgrade (don't know to what yet) and I'm having the two layers boxed up by Disney and my mom is taking it to Shula's for our reception. She's a wiz at baking, so I know it'll look like it was never apart, and if it does, so what! We're going to "fake" cake cutting for pictures at the champagne toast, but we're serving the cake at the reception. We're going to serve the bottom layer and then box the top layer for us to enjoy on our honeymoon at the Wilderness Lodge. The idea of saving it for a year grosses me and DF out!

:confused: December Bride: is it true that disney can box the whole thing and have it delivered to your dinner site for you if you choose to cut it later, or do you have to do it yourself?

:confused: December Bride: is it true that disney can box the whole thing and have it delivered to your dinner site for you if you choose to cut it later, or do you have to do it yourself?

I don't know about here but I was told they had to box the separate layers (and we just moved ours downstairs). I have seen others though that had the entire cake moved. Maybe there is a charge for this? :confused3

Were you planning to skip the commander's Terrace altogether? I could see them delivering it in one piece to teh restaurant if that were the case. I have no idea how they do things though, lol.

I was told by my planner that they will box up the leftover cake for us.

I'm thinking of letting all you from the Disboards know where I will be shortly after my celebration is over so you all can come and help me with the cake :mickeybar

I would totally take one for the team. :rotfl2:

I think I remember hearing they would box it up to your reception location for a fee. ::yes:: ::yes::

We opted to have our entire cake cut because we didn't want to keep our top layer for an entire year..there was a lot left and they boxed it all up for us...most of it ended up getting dumped anyway cuz there was not enough room for it.

I don't know about here but I was told they had to box the separate layers (and we just moved ours downstairs). I have seen others though that had the entire cake moved. Maybe there is a charge for this? :confused3

Were you planning to skip the commander's Terrace altogether? I could see them delivering it in one piece to teh restaurant if that were the case. I have no idea how they do things though, lol.

I'm not sure if we're going to skip that or not, but thanks so much for the info!!!

Yes, they can have it delivered to your dining venue for a service fee and it's not cheap. This was from my WC so each WC might say something different keep that in mind. Also, I'm dining at Shula's at the Dolphin, so they're seperating the two layers and my mom is carrying the two boxes over and she and the staff at Shula's are putting my cake back together!

Does anyone know if Disney will decorate a cake dummy and then just serve sheet cakes? It would eliminate a lot of waste from leftover cake!

...not that there can *ever* be too much cake! :hyper:

You can order a small cake and then have them serve sheet cakes to make up the difference. I don't know if they'll do a dummy cake, but from what I've heard, it's the decorating that makes cakes so expensive, so decorating a fake one isn't any cheaper than decorating a real one.:thumbsup2

This is one of my biggest complaints from the wedding. Our planner told us that no cake could be taken but the top layer, however, if we had little takeout containers and guests wanted to take a piece home, they could. So we spent hours running around trying to find take out containers and told our guests that were too full, don't worry, grab a piece to take. So that's what most planned to do. Hardly ate any at the time. It was out on the table, then next thing we know, it's gone. Our planner had left by then and when we asked the servers, they told us it had all been eaten!!! Lied straight to our face as we had cake for over 100 and only about 70 guests! Only about ten that we talked to got cake. The only reason we did is because they put pieces at our chairs and never got to throw those out. We had pretzel bread on the buffet and I had left a couple pieces at my seat to eat throughout the night and they threw those away before I got to them. So upset.

You can order a small cake and then have them serve sheet cakes to make up the difference. I don't know if they'll do a dummy cake, but from what I've heard, it's the decorating that makes cakes so expensive, so decorating a fake one isn't any cheaper than decorating a real one.:thumbsup2

I never *said* it was a cheaper option! :lmao: But that's a better idea in my book, teeny cake and sheets to make up the difference!

This is one of my biggest complaints from the wedding. Our planner told us that no cake could be taken but the top layer, however, if we had little takeout containers and guests wanted to take a piece home, they could. So we spent hours running around trying to find take out containers and told our guests that were too full, don't worry, grab a piece to take. So that's what most planned to do. Hardly ate any at the time. It was out on the table, then next thing we know, it's gone. Our planner had left by then and when we asked the servers, they told us it had all been eaten!!! Lied straight to our face as we had cake for over 100 and only about 70 guests! Only about ten that we talked to got cake. The only reason we did is because they put pieces at our chairs and never got to throw those out. We had pretzel bread on the buffet and I had left a couple pieces at my seat to eat throughout the night and they threw those away before I got to them. So upset.

That's crazy! I would be so irate! Who puts a time limit on cake?! (Okay, four hours is the most something can be left at room temp on a buffet, but it sounds like your cake was out there for way less than that!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter