• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wed night, Disney ship just arrived in PC...is something wrong?

Decisions concerning medical evacuation are made on a case by case basis in consultation with the ship's doctor, the captain, and in some cases, the Coast Guard. It is possible to land a helicopter on the ship, but it's certainly not ideal. In addition, the medical care that can be given during the loading and transport process is limited.

The doc and captain will consider the patient's conditions and needs, length of time to an appropriate facility, etc. and decide what is best for the patient. The medical facility on the ship contains a fully functional ICU--it's more sophisticated than what I've seen in some small hospitals. They just aren't staffed to keep up that level of care long term. A return to Port Canaveral (or another port) may well be a better decision than an air transport in some situations.

not exactly right . . .

up to a point you've got it. the ultimate decision on the cruise ship will be made by a Master and the Dr but if they believe a medivac is warranted they would then contact the nearest rescue coordination center, and for the US and much of the Carib that means the USCG. Cutting out the many additional steps, the USCG is going to get a USCG Flight Surgeon on the line (CG gets their doc's from US Public Health Service btw) and the FS will make the call on if the medivac is warranted and if so with what level of expedience.

At this time the case goes back to the RCC who must then look at available assets and the ship's location and weather. And then once again working with the Master a plan is established as to the best method of getting the victim to appropriate medical care. Appropriate is an important term at times as a helo to an island hospital is sometimes less desirable then keeping the person on board...location, location, location as they say. And often there just isn't a helo available...not within range by hundreds of miles.

I was fortunate during my years as Captain to on several occasions be in the right place at the right time and able to launch a helo from my ship, to a cruiseship for a hoist and transport to a hosp' - often Guantanamo - where, had we NOT been around, there would have been no medivac for another 24 hours or more. In this scenerio the cruse ship contacted the RCC and the FS advised the RCC this was a "no -sh*****" and they would pull out the stops. Sometimes we happen to have a ship with a bird on board in the right place at the right time. That's what we do . . . on the other hand while sitting with the fisherman in the Bearing Sea, altho we had a helo there was no hospital....often no land, within range of the helo

So far as USCG, I am not aware of a case in the last 30+ years where CG has landed on a cruise ship. From a flight perspective it is much safer to hoist then it is to land on an unfamiliar ship. Heck, a flight deck cutter needs dozens of landings a year to retain flight deck qualifications and regular recertification of all people and equipment. Landing on an 'unknown' is very very rare. A helo on deck with the rotor spinning is very unstable...they want to be tied down fast and doing that takes experience and specific training to the airplane. What is also a MAJOR concern is landing and having ANYTHING go wrong on the helo such that they can't take off agian. A VERY undesirable situation....we carried parts and mechanics... And God forbit there was an accident . . the pilots tend to appreciate a trained extraction and firefighting crew.

Has a private company ever done a hoist from a cruise ship? Well NEVER is a strong term but I'll just say that in my years doing that work I never saw or heard of it nor even heard of an entity other than USCG or USN, or another counties similar entity that would/could do it. If there's an air amb' company that does it that's news to me. Air amb' with fixed wing to move patients, absolutely ... ship evac's, nope can't say I've ever seen one of those. Outside of the US & Carib & Mexican Riveria & Bearing Sea, can't speak to those areas.

And if there's a place to land a helo on Magic or Wonder you've got to show it to me . . . those ships aren't even particularly hoist friendly IMO but I'm a ship driver and not a pilot. Yes I've seen cruise ships with "helo pads" .... I've just never seen anything actually land on one. I've see CG land on oil rigs and 'super tankers'; fairly stable platforms.

And btw .... if medivaced by USCG, be it helo or small boat, you don't get a bill so no insurance is required. Just smile as you pay your taxes. Now if we transported you to a hospital in Grand Cayman that's not our problem . . .

Capt BJ, thank you so much for that information. And thank you for all your work with the USCG!

Decisions concerning medical evacuation are made on a case by case basis in consultation with the ship's doctor, the captain, and in some cases, the Coast Guard. It is possible to land a helicopter on the ship, but it's certainly not ideal. In addition, the medical care that can be given during the loading and transport process is limited.

The doc and captain will consider the patient's conditions and needs, length of time to an appropriate facility, etc. and decide what is best for the patient. The medical facility on the ship contains a fully functional ICU--it's more sophisticated than what I've seen in some small hospitals. They just aren't staffed to keep up that level of care long term. A return to Port Canaveral (or another port) may well be a better decision than an air transport in some situations.

where is the landing area on the ship?

not exactly right . . .

And btw .... if medivaced by USCG, be it helo or small boat, you don't get a bill so no insurance is required. Just smile as you pay your taxes. Now if we transported you to a hospital in Grand Cayman that's not our problem . . .

Thanks - Capt - Bravo Zulu for all your years of service witht the USCG

I think there is enough room on deck 10 where the sports are done for a helicopter to land...

I think there is enough room on deck 10 where the sports are done for a helicopter to land...

If you are thinking the area where the basketball court is there is a BIG fence around it that does not look like it would easily come down. I personally do not think that the Magic has the capabilities of having a helicopter land on her.

I was on the Wonder 2/25 and while talking to one of the officers, I asked why the Wonder came in to early. I was told there was a very sick baby on board and they needed to get back to port quickly so the baby could get to the hospital. I did not ask if they could have sent a helicopter - I imagine with the weather they may not have been able to.

As far as leaving CC early or speeding back to avoid bad weather - Captain Gus informed us on Sat AM that we would be able to stay on CC but may be called off early due to the front. We did not leave early and the weather was horrible! the ship was listing for a few hours and the water was pouring out of the spas and the pools. It was difficult to walk and Captain Gus made an announcement that it would get worse around 10:30 to 11PM - we made sure we were in bed by then to we could be "rocked" to sleep. The closet doors were moving around and all the hangers were clanging (already packed). I have been on 8 cruises and it was the worst movement and listing I have seen.

We were sorry to miss our last night partying but glad we had the warning so we would be prepared to be in bed and sleeping through the worst.

I really like Captain Gus!

I was on the Wonder 2/25 and while talking to one of the officers, I asked why the Wonder came in to early. I was told there was a very sick baby on board and they needed to get back to port quickly so the baby could get to the hospital. I did not ask if they could have sent a helicopter - I imagine with the weather they may not have been able to.

As far as leaving CC early or speeding back to avoid bad weather - Captain Gus informed us on Sat AM that we would be able to stay on CC but may be called off early due to the front. We did not leave early and the weather was horrible! the ship was listing for a few hours and the water was pouring out of the spas and the pools. It was difficult to walk and Captain Gus made an announcement that it would get worse around 10:30 to 11PM - we made sure we were in bed by then to we could be "rocked" to sleep. The closet doors were moving around and all the hangers were clanging (already packed). I have been on 8 cruises and it was the worst movement and listing I have seen.

We were sorry to miss our last night partying but glad we had the warning so we would be prepared to be in bed and sleeping through the worst.

I really like Captain Gus!

Thanks for the update--I'm so sorry to hear that you had rough weather at the end of your cruise. While we had some rain (I was on the Wonder 2/21-25) we didn't have anything like what you described. Even though we had a fabulous time, the weather on our cruise leads to me to think I'll be avoiding February cruises in the future :)

I'm glad we were able to get back for the sick child--hope everything turned out ok.

I really liked Captain Gus too, and I thought Adam did a great job as cruise director as well! :woohoo:

After spending years in Navy Medical and having sailed on DCL more than 10 times, I am comfortable in saying that neither the US Coast Guard nor the US Navy could land a helicopter on the deck of the Magic or Wonder. There simply isn't enough space to do so. I am confident however, that they could lower a basket to evac any patient that needed immediate care beyond the ability of the onboard medical department.

Just my input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter