Wed Mar 30, 2016 4-Night Castaway Cay, Nassau and Key West From Miami

For your information, I've written a little "how to" for Fish Extender groups:
Setting up FE group

There's really no "rules" as to how a FE program runs. Basically someone maintains the list of those who wish to participate. The group can decide on what information is necessary to produce FE gifts. A basic list may only have DISname/room number/number of people in the room. A more involved list could be first & last names/ages/room number/favorite character/favorite color/allergies/whatever is deemed necessary to know. Also a decision can be made as to size of FE. Some groups break out the list(s) at 10-15 rooms max, so that there are multiple lists (and some people will participate in more than one list). Other groups just make one big list (upwards of 20-30 rooms).

At some point the list will "close". Typically this happens 30-45 days out from the cruise, so that everyone participating has time to organize/prepare their gifts. Shortly before this time (about 2-3 weeks prior) the organizer will either post the list (usually via a conversation is best, as that's more private), or directly on the Cruise Meet thread, to confirm everyone on it is still participating. It’s important to make a statement about "anyone not confirming by XX date will be dropped" at this time. A little harsh, yes, but often there are people who will post on the cruise meet thread as soon as the reserve the cruise and say “I want to participate”, and are never heard from again.

Once the list closes, the organizer will post the final list. Also, a decision must be made as to whether to allow late additions. Sometimes there is a "pixie dust" list. That is, basically, a latecomers list that gets posted about a week out from the cruise that others may or may not add to their "final" list. Be sure the "pixie dust" list participants realize they may or may not get gifts from others.

The other "biggie" is no other social media sites are allowed to be linked or search directions posted as to how find that other site here on DISboards.

As it seems there are a few here on your cruise meet thread who would be interested in doing this, who’s going to step up and volunteer to maintain the list?
Thank you - we have a volunteer!

This will be our family's 3rd cruise. DD will be 8 and DS will be almost 6. Our first 2 sailings were both on the Magic (Oct 2014 and upcoming Oct 2015) for Halloween on the High Seas. This will be our first time on the Wonder. Any veteran cruisers, who have been on both boats, have some comparisons to share?
We have an almost 7 year old girl - hope they can meet!

FE Exchange Update:

We have two cabins participating! Woohoo! :cool1: Who else would like to join?

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

I’m really excited to see so much interest in starting a Fish Extender Exchange on our cruise! :yay: For anyone who's new to the Fish Extender Exchange, here's my best explanation:

Beside every cabin door is a large silver fish (or starfish, or seahorse) with an indentation in the back for cruise personnel to leave information, invitations, etc. DISboarders have taken the silver fish one step further... by creating hanging pockets (much like cloth letter holders) to hang from the fish - thus the name, "Fish Extender". Fish Extenders (FEs) can be made of practically anything (cloth, plastic, paper gift bags, etc.), as long as they have at least one pocket that can hold surprises. My first FE was just a medium-sized canvas bag purchased from a local craft store. A Google Image search of “fish extenders” will show dozens of unique styles!

Each "Cruise Meets" thread organizes their own little gift exchange. Some exchanges are set up with a lot of requirements, but I like to make it as easy and fun as possible. I always leave it up to the giver to decide what to give and when to pass it out during the cruise. Some people decide to give one surprise per family, some people like to give a little gift to each person in the cabin.

There are several DIS Boards threads that discuss ideas for FE gifts. Some gifts are from Dollar Stores, some are handmade, and some are bought in bulk from websites that sell trinkets like the Oriental Trading Company. Often, they are stickers, candy, glow sticks, lanyards, luggage tags, magnets, mugs, frames, etc., with themes such as pirates, beach, cruise, tropical, hometown, holiday, etc. The main idea is just to have fun finding little goodies in your FE throughout the cruise. Kids LOVE running back to their cabin to see if anything's been left in their FE. As an adult, I have to admit that I really love :love:it, too!!!

I want everyone to feel comfortable with the number of cabins you’ll be exchanging with. I’ve participated in exchanges that had only 4 cabins participating on a 3-night cruise, all the way up to over 80 participating cabins on the longer cruises! Currently, it looks like there are at least 7 families who want to join the fun. I expect that number to grow a little. So, since this is a shorter cruise, I’ll break it down to either 10 in your FE group, 20 in your FE group, or “Sky’s the Limit” for those of us who believe the more the merrier!

The deadline to join this Fish Extender Exchange will be Saturday, March 12, to give everyone nearly two weeks to get their gifts prepared and packed. I will send all participants a Private Message (PM) through the DIS Boards on Sunday, March 13, with your FE group information. You'll need to print that final list of participants and pack it with your gifts so you'll know where to deliver them once you're onboard the ship.

To join the FE Exchange, please send me (Deb T.) a “Private Message” with the following information:
*Your Cabin Number
*Names of everyone in your cabin
*Ages of children
*Any allergy considerations
*The size of the FE group you want to be in: “No more than 10,” “No more than 20,” or “Sky’s the Limit.”

To send me a “Private Message”, click on my name (Deb T.) in the little box on the top left
Click on “Start a Conversation”
Enter a “Conversation Title”
Under the row of icons, type your message
To send, Click “Start a Conversation” under your message

(FYI: If you are new to the DIS Boards, you will need to have made at least ten posts on DIS Forums before you can send a Private Message.)

Can't wait for our cruise!!!! :boat:

If you do not want to get off the ship in the Bahamas what stays open and is available on the ship?

I did 10 and I still can not send a private message! What am I doing wrong?
Probably nothing. You just finished your 10 posts, correct? It takes the system a little time (30-60 minutes) to recognize it. Once it does, you can start a private conversation with someone by clicking on their avatar (as long as they also have at least 10 posts). Then click on the "Start a conversation" link there.

One thing, you don't typically have to use private conversations to sign up for FEs. You can just say you want to sign up on the cruise meet thread. But any private/sensitive information you are sending for the list should probably be handled via the conversation option.

Probably nothing. You just finished your 10 posts, correct? It takes the system a little time (30-60 minutes) to recognize it. Once it does, you can start a private conversation with someone by clicking on their avatar (as long as they also have at least 10 posts). Then click on the "Start a conversation" link there.

One thing, you don't typically have to use private conversations to sign up for FEs. You can just say you want to sign up on the cruise meet thread. But any private/sensitive information you are sending for the list should probably be handled via the conversation option.
Thanks! Hopefully it will work soon!

Can anyone tell me how to get involved in the Fish Extender on this trip?

Hi! Welcome to our cruise! As you've probably already figured out, all you need to do is send me a private message through a "Conversation". Hopefully, the next time you try, it should work. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. :)

Edited to add: I received your private message and you're all signed up now! :)

Last edited:
First time on the Wonder......have done the Dream any big differences?

Well, the biggest difference is the size difference between the two ships (pun intended). The Wonder doesn't have the Midship Detective Agency, putt-putt, or a sport's simulator. Some of the restaurants, gift shops, kids' areas, and public gathering rooms have similar names on both ships. The Wonder also does not have the Aqua Duck, Aqua Lab, Nemo's Reef, or Satellite Falls, to name a few.

If you do not want to get off the ship in the Bahamas what stays open and is available on the ship?

Pretty much everything except gift shops will be open while docked in Nassau. There will be lots of scheduled activities and games, movies in the theater and on the stateroom TV's, plenty of food options, etc.

Getting closer! Deb T, just sent you a message for FE, please let me know if you did not get it or need anything else. Thanks so much for helping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter