Weather nice enough to swim mid December?

Mom3girls

DIS Veteran
Thinking of going Dec 17-20 and staying at RPR (our new home). How is the weather mid day at this time of year? Warm enough to lay out at the pool and for kids to swim??

We have been in December a few times, and sometimes it was, and others it was not. Of course, I live in the Northwest, so 70's is warm enough for us to swim, so it will also depend on your temperature preference.

I'm guessing they heat the pools during that time of year? Have only been as late at mid Oct and early as late March. Usually go in August so we are used to sweating like crazy

I'm guessing they heat the pools during that time of year? Have only been as late at mid Oct and early as late March. Usually go in August so we are used to sweating like crazy

They always heat the pools. But an 82 degree pool is going to feel cold when it's 96 degrees out. :)

Mid December is a mystery! Our first Orlando trip was in 2010 from very late November to December 15th-ish. Started off perfectly nice. Swam most pleasantly our first night at whatever resort we were at. Then a few days later the cold hit. One morning when we were at Uni and did EE and DS wanted to ride Hippogriff 14 times in a row, the weather sites showed it was 28 in Celebration. We swam two more times that trip, once when it was in the 50s. Ooh the water felt lovely, but getting out was awful.

On our departure day it hit the 80s again.

We've been there in January for the WDW marathon weekend and it's been 40 one day and 80 the next. On one trip WDW closed the pools because it was so cold out (I had a long convo with the lifeguard stationed to keep people out of the pool we were walking by).

Weather is all over the place as it approaches and gets solidly into Winter. Pack fleece and "long johns" and shorts and flipflops and puffy jackets and tank tops and bathing suits and sunscreen and gloves. All of it.

It really depends. It can be warm or it can be quite chilly. For me the pools at least at Cabana Bay were nice and warm, But it was getting out that was an issue. I ran for my towels.

Long underwear, seriously. The layers are important, and it's what we keep missing. Sweats can still be freezing cold with a wind blowing across all the Florida swamp water. Jeans can FREEZE once they get wet from cold humidity. But if you have that under-layer on, you can be fine.

Here I am hoping that we can swim at the hotel and you're telling me to wear long underwear

:upsidedow
DH and I both grew up in FL and unfortunately it really is true. You have no way of knowing how to predict the winter weather. We have visited family several times during Dec-Feb. Several times we have gone to the beach or swimming and then had frost during the same week.

People think it doesn't get cold in FL or they like to act like they're tough, but there have been plenty of times that we were freezing (long underwear would have been great!) and we were coming from near the Canadian border. Sure, I would go out at home with jeans and a long sleeve shirt in 30 degrees to the store or whatever, but that's completely different than being outside at a theme park all day, sitting in the damp or windy cold to watch a parade, etc.

I live here in central Florida, and the above posts regarding extreme temperature changes are correct. No matter what the forecast says for your trip, pack warm and cold weather outfits. It gets cold only when cold fronts come, and those are not always very predictable. I don't own any long johns though. I have never seen them being sold. I just wear knee high socks if I'm outside a lot on a cold day.

To answer your originial question- probably, if you are tolerant of being a little chilly. Just grab some extra towels to cover up with when you get out of the pool. If cold fronts are coming through while you're here, then you probably won't want to swim; but its unlikely to be so cold that the pools are shut down, especially for your entire trip.

It's always interesting to go to a theme park in the winter. Us Floridians are cold if the temperature goes below 70 and most of us wear jackets, while the northerners wear shorts and tshirts whilst going on about how nice and warm it is! :p

Last edited:
We were there early to mid December last year and swam every day. Fingers crossed, as we are headed back this December!

yup, the only answer here is maybe

We were there in early December last year and one day was nice enough to lay in the sun. The other days were cool. Not long john cold but fleece and jeans

I have been there other years where it was colder in FL than at home in CT! go figure

yup, the only answer here is maybe

We were there in early December last year and one day was nice enough to lay in the sun. The other days were cool. Not long john cold but fleece and jeans

I have been there other years where it was colder in FL than at home in CT! go figure

hmm.....we were there Dec. 1st-12th last year and it was swimming weather everyday. Coldest day saw a high of 73. Most days were in the 80's.

Here I am hoping that we can swim at the hotel and you're telling me to wear long underwear

:)

I'm telling you to *bring* them. And swimsuits. Etc.

It might very well be 85.

And it might be 45 the next day.

Our first trip we swam when it was 50. it's all fine while you're on the water, but when you get out, yowza it's cold!!

:)

I'm telling you to *bring* them. And swimsuits. Etc.

It might very well be 85.

And it might be 45 the next day.

Our first trip we swam when it was 50. it's all fine while you're on the water, but when you get out, yowza it's cold!!

Or you can do what I did. Walk quickly to the hot tub. HHMM toasty. Then you really really run for the towels

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

Cool site to pull up historical temperatures for 'your' week in December to get a feel for what's average

If you're from the north it will likely be significantly warmer than back home. The pools are well-heated but the air can be cool in the evenings and they do close pools early when it's really cold.

Rash guard shirts can help keep the kids warm in the water.

Last year, around Christmas, the highs were in the 80's every day we were there. The year before we were there in early December and half the days of our 9 day trip were 80's and sunny and the next half were 50's and constant cold mist with RPR closing their pool one night because of cold. It's a mixed bag.

I know it could change bc it's still 3 weeks out but this goes up to Dec 9th and so far it looks good:))

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter