Weather May Change Flight Plans

captainron19

Earning My Ears
So..... we are supposed to fly out of Philadelphia for Orlando first thing in the morning on Oct 31.

Now we have Hurricane Sandy to worry about They still dont know what the storm is going to do. But they are now saying it is a strong possibility of hitting NJ head on (where we live) - which according to meteorologists it would be catastrophic.

Has anyone ever had to make a change of your flight? What sort of fees do they charge if it is possible to switch flight.

We talked about it and would even try to leave a couple of days earlier but then I run into the problem of delays getting in to Florida if they are having any impact of the storm.

If it comes down to it I would even consider flying and or taking a train to get there earlier if we have to and eat the cost of the flight tickets.

The National Weather service only says there is a chance it may turn and hit NJ but a lot of the other models I have seen are now tracking it directly at us but unfortunately they have no definite date of landfall so we cant even make contingency plans definite right now because it may end up worse for us!

UGGGGGGG!

Don't know what airline you are on, but Delta often issues a special advisory when major storms occur and allows people to change for free (with certain restrictions as to days, etc). I have done this in the past. Even now, they have an advisory posted for flights to/from Jamaica allowing people to change for free.

I would check with your airline and see if you can get them to change for free.

Maura

According to the tracker it should be well over by Halloween.

We leave Friday, and although it should be lower then Orlando I hope flying is not a nightmare.

We are flying US Air. If it is passed here by Halloween (the day we leave) I just wasnt sure of any problems we may run in to with previous flights being cancelled and moving flights back or anything

You are free to change this yourself at any time; you will have to pay a fee on most airlines, which is usually $150 per ticket for a domestic flight plus any additional ticket cost. You can chose to wait, and if your airline cancels your flight, you will be rebooked at no cost. It can, in worst cases, take days to get a new flight. If flights are cancelled in the days before your trip, it shouldn't affect you. Airlines don't bump PAX to accommodate those who were booked on cancelled flights.

The current forecast shows Sandy moving east out to sea on Saturday, so unless it takes an unpredicted turn, you are worrying for nothing.

IF it becomes a relevant factor and will have a significant enough impact, the airlines generally will allow passengers to make changes without incurring additional charges. Each airline may have different policies in terms of what they allow, so it's difficult to be specific. They typically would start communicating the details once an official storm warning is issued.

The problem, of course, is that pretty much everyone who is traveling out of an affected airport needs to make similar changes to their plans and schedules and many flights are close to full these days. As a result, the number of seats on flights you might want to switch to is limited and lots of people will want them, so it will take several days for the airlines to accomodate everyone who wants to make changes.

We are flying out of Philadelphia on Friday morning at 6:15am. I am hoping that it is not a nightmare flying into Florida. Keeping our fingers crossed. It is not suppose to come into Florida just impact mostly the coast. We live in PA and we are hearing that this storm could be similar to Irene. Hoping not :( I think after last year they are just being prepared.

There is no strong possibility of a direct hit in the states. New Jersey, along with the rest of the northern eastern seaboard is in a "Be Aware" zone. It's not Alert, Watch or Warning. The overwhelmingly most likely scenario is for it to stay out to sea.
If it did surprise everyone and make landfall, it would most likely be no more than a tropical storm by the time it hit NJ - the water that far north doesn't have the warmth needed to feed the system.
It is true that a major hurricane hitting NJ or NY would be catastrophic...and it will most likely happen sooner or later - but I don't think you have to worry about it this year.

We fly into Orlando on Saturday. Hopefully the conditions will be okay. We are flying with Delta and so far there are no warnings or advisories on their website for Florida so I guess all we can do is wait and see.

We fly into Orlando on Saturday. Hopefully the conditions will be okay. We are flying with Delta and so far there are no warnings or advisories on their website for Florida so I guess all we can do is wait and see.

I spoke to a friend of mine that does his own weather tracking..... he is usually right on the money. He said Florida will have some effect of it early Friday but should be clear by noon on Saturday....... I may join you on that flight if I decide to change mine.

My wife said she would leave right now if I told her we had to....heck even if I get a cheap hotel at least i will have peace of mind that we made it there ok...... especially since we have tix for MNSSHP on the 31st

We are flying out of Philadelphia on Friday morning at 6:15am. I am hoping that it is not a nightmare flying into Florida. Keeping our fingers crossed. It is not suppose to come into Florida just impact mostly the coast. We live in PA and we are hearing that this storm could be similar to Irene. Hoping not :( I think after last year they are just being prepared.

We leave out of Philly a couple of hours after you on Friday. I really hope we dont get screwed!

I just checked our airline (WestJet from Canada) and they have an advisory but only for flights on Friday Oct 26th going to Miami & Fort Lauderdale. Seems like Orlando is good!

Hoping for a smooth ride though ;). We are leaving Sunday night - I know it'll be gone from the FL area but still at work somewhere...

Chantal

Getting into Orlando Friday night around 9PM. Getting a bit nervous right now

I'm flying out of DC early on Monday morning... I'm hoping the winds and rain aren't bad enough that far south to mess with my flight.

Latest prediction that just came out is not looking good..... making a turn right into NJ area where we are. I only hope it is cleared out so we can get int he air Wednesday morning.... right now NWS shows hurricane being right near NJ on Tuesday at 8am....fingers crossed

We are supposed to leave from JFK on Tuesday night. I am hoping the storm tracks to the east and goes out to sea. It's not looking good for us as of right now.

Very depressed about Hurricane Sandy. We are supposed to fly out Oct. 30 at 8:30am from Dulles (Northern Virginia). I don't like flying. I REALLY don't like turbulence. Especially in storms. Not sure at this point if it will mess up our flight out, or if it will just be a bumpy as heck flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter