• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weather in December.. What to pack/wear to parks?

andrews1ma

Mouseketeer
Will be there for 1 day at the end of December after our cruise and not sure what the weather will be like? Any advice what to wear to the the park... Thinking daytime will be comfortable weather for jeans and long sleeve tee's but we are planning to stay late so how cold does it get at night?
Thanks

Although it's not unheard of for the temperature to drop to the 30s, it's rather unusual. I'd think a sweatshirt would be enough for the evenings.

Most of December is warm normally. Last Christmas it was in the 80's on Christmas Day. You won't know until it gets closer. You could go and it'll be shorts, shirts, and you're sweating. Or it could be cold and be jacket worthy.

It is too hard to tell right now. I can remember being in jeans, tee and flip flops on the night of christmas a few years ago. nights are cooler but days can be warm. so it very's. i would keep an eye on the weather before you head on your trip.

Yep, quite unpredictable. I usually pack layers that can be added or shed as needed. Example: short sleeve sport dress, leggings, and a jacket.

It can be unpredictable, but is generally warm. Last December (just before Christmas) it was uncomfortably warm during the day, and still warm enough at night that we didn't even want to wear our jackets in the rain. We go in December about every other year, and there was only one trip (2008) that we needed a jacket at all. But you'll have to watch the forecast a week or so before, there's no way to know ahead of time.

Check the forecast, if cold all day wear warm clothes, or bring warm clothes in a backpack (put in locker) if could be colder later

Thanks all... Should be fun packing for this one... I tend to overpack anyway so I'm sure I will have something for all the weather elements.

Will be there for 1 day at the end of December after our cruise and not sure what the weather will be like? Any advice what to wear to the the park... Thinking daytime will be comfortable weather for jeans and long sleeve tee's but we are planning to stay late so how cold does it get at night?
Thanks

You won't know until much closer. We were there last year from 12/11-12/17. Highs were in the 60s lows in the 40s until the last two days. Then the highs were in the 70s, lows in the 60s.

Mornings were cold enough for a heavier jacket, as were evenings until our last two days. Dress in layers, and bring a coat, just in case.

Thanks all... Should be fun packing for this one... I tend to overpack anyway so I'm sure I will have something for all the weather elements.

It was definitely the hardest Disney trip we've taken for which to pack. I lucked out with the cold weather because I'd ordered my daughter several long sleeve custom Disney outfits and didn't purchase anything with shorts! I just gambled that it would be cool.

I am from California and went in 2012 and the weather is very unpredictable. You cannot trust the forecast like you can in CA. It may say hot and 80's weather but then it rains for a short while and then changes to warm weather again. I brought long sleeves and jeans, which I never wore. I wore shorts and kept a light jacket and an umbrella as there are times it rains but not for a long period or time. It is tropical weather which is the best way to describe it.

Will definitely be watching the weather before we leave but just to be safe I'm thinking dollar store stretch gloves - small and easy to pack or keep in pockets-my hands are always cold. I have a lightweight down jacket that packs in a little sack (folds super tiny and weighs nothing! love this thing!) so I can put it in my park backpack or locker if we rent. I tend to be cold so most likely jeans and a long sleeve tee to start with (unless we get lucky and have warm weather)and can add layers if needed. I have a windbreaker that I also keep in my backpack since it is also lightweight and folds into the pocket and has a hood. Also have a down puffy vest ....might need to just keep that in the car. Thankfully we are driving down for this trip so I can pack for all scenarios. This one is stressing me though since we will be doing a cruise beforehand so I will have tons of clothes for Caribbean weather ....but this is the kind of stress that feeds my planning and packing obsession. Problem is we will be leaving for the trip on the 18th and not in Disney until the 28th so who knows what could happen with the weather forecast in that time span...

Last edited:
We have been in December and wore everything on a 6 day trip. One day we wore shorts and one day gloves and fleece jackets.

We are planning our next 4 day trip for January and I'm planning on packing one shorts outfit for everyone and then jeans/pants for the rest. Definitely pack light layering pieces that you can put in your bag. We used layers a LOT on our December trip because it would be cool in the morning and at night. Remember fireworks that time of year are often not until 9 or 10 and sunset is a few hours before. It has time to get quite chilly.

Don't worry though, Disney will sell you a blanket or a sweatshirt!!

Oh man, the weather is all over the map. I agree with previous posts about layer friendly clothing. It's my favorite time to go, I hope you have a great time!

I usually pack layers that can be added or shed as needed.
9ce15.jpg

Thanks

Just like most of the places here in the deep south - can be downright hot, just right, or actually cold!! Just bring layers and decide on the 'day of'!! We've experienced it all.

We have gone for Christmas roughly 6 times and the weather has usually been good. The first time we went in 2000, the record for coldest temperatures were set. In 2009, the weather was unseasonable good with highs in the high 50s and lows in the 30s. However, some times I have been able to wear shorts in the afternoon and just a long sleeve shirt or light jacket in the evening. We usually pack for both conditions because you never know if and when the forecast may change, but we stay at the BWV and we have a washer/dryer, which allows us to wash clothes if needed.

Hope for warm temps, but plan for cold! I always bring a hat and gloves in December, as it has been very cold on several early to mid-December trips.

Will definitely be watching the weather before we leave but just to be safe I'm thinking dollar store stretch gloves - small and easy to pack or keep in pockets-my hands are always cold. I have a lightweight down jacket that packs in a little sack (folds super tiny and weighs nothing! love this thing!) so I can put it in my park backpack or locker if we rent. I tend to be cold so most likely jeans and a long sleeve tee to start with (unless we get lucky and have warm weather)and can add layers if needed. I have a windbreaker that I also keep in my backpack since it is also lightweight and folds into the pocket and has a hood. Also have a down puffy vest ....might need to just keep that in the car. Thankfully we are driving down for this trip so I can pack for all scenarios. This one is stressing me though since we will be doing a cruise beforehand so I will have tons of clothes for Caribbean weather ....but this is the kind of stress that feeds my planning and packing obsession. Problem is we will be leaving for the trip on the 18th and not in Disney until the 28th so who knows what could happen with the weather forecast in that time span...

It probably won't be hot hot. I live in Houston and I don't really bust out shorts in December. If we get days in the 80s, I can still wear capris. It's not going to be 90 degrees and crazy hot. I guess they could always have some freak crazy extra hot December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter