• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weather 1st week of Jan. What to wear?

Demon Llama

Mouseketeer
I remember going to WDW just after New years day. During the day time it was warm, but at night I remember being really chilly. Any suggestions on what to pack? Should we wear pants and shirts instead of tanks and shorts?

Thanks!

We've been to WDW the week after New Year and I say it is one of my favorit times to go, the park is almost empty and the weather wasn't bad. But I think it depends on how you view weather. We're from Chicago and we're in single digits, so Florida 60-70's felt warm. But I never forget our last day, we were in the pool (with a good number of others) and the cast members are walking around in winter coats. :rotfl2: I would bring both warm and cool weather clothes.

Thanks! I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada). It gets really cold here, but I found it super chilly at night in Orlando because of the humidity! Sometimes when I watch the Disney Parade I see people in jeans, sweaters and jackets and that throws me off.

Hi,

The fact is that winter weather in Orlando is completely unpredictable. You could have warm days (80s) with cool mornings, or you could have mornings near freezing with afternoons in the 40s or 50s. Or you could have a little of both, or something in between.

My advice is to pack a little of everything.

We will be there the second week in January and I plan on packing a little bit of everything. I've been during "colder" months before and I have needed a jacket during the evenings. Other times it's been around 80 degrees and absolutly beautiful!

Anything will be better than NH in January! :wizard:

I think it's hard to rely on advice from others on what to bring, since weather changes so much from year to year. What might have worked in January 2009 might not be right for January 2010.

Here's what I'd do: A few days before you go, check the "hour-by-hour" forecast on a site like weather.com or accuweather.com. This will let you know what the temps are at, say, 7:00 a.m. or 7:00 p.m., which always helps me decide what to pack.

Also, remember that it's hard to find things like long pants, warm socks, etc. at WDW (especially if you don't have a rental car) -- and if you could find them, they would probably be expensive!

I was there in mid-October of this year, and we had record high temps (low to mid 90s), followed by record lows (barely 60 degrees and very windy). I had only packed for the hot weather, and had just one pair of long pants and no warm socks (and no warm jacket!). Since it was so windy, it felt very cold; even when I wore long pants, my legs were cold. What I wouldn't have given for a pair of knee socks!

So my advice: pack a variety of things (knowing you can do laundry); pack a warm, wind-resistant jacket; pack warm socks, gloves and a hat for everyone. It can get very expensive to buy things after arrival!

I second the "pack a little of everything." We normally go in December. I remember one Decemeber with my mom FL had record colds (I think much of the orange crop was damaged with frost). We bought coats, gloves, hats and blankets (for the parades, Fantasmic, etc) - it was not cheap to buy this all at Disney prices. The highs some days was not even 40. Even this year, we had some days in the mid 80's and some days in the mid 60's for highs. I know that's Dec and not Jan, but I think Jan is just as variable as December.

The other thing I've found is that even if it's much warmer in Orlando than at home, if I don't have the right gear, spending a great deal of time walking outside will not be fun.

I would dress like an onion. By that I mean layers :)

I love wearing light 'technical' clothing by makers such as patagonia, and icebreaker. That way it is easy to peel off a layer, which then packs down very small and lightweight as to not weigh down my pack. Clothes such as this also have the benifit of being quick drying.

It is very unpredictable...we went in Dec 07/Jan 08 and it was hot for 2 days, freezing temps for 3 days then back to hot for 2 days...the cast members and news said it was the coldest in 10 years. then last year, we wore shorts with a hoodie in the mornings but by 11 am the hoodies were off, so you never know, check orlando forecast up until the day you stop packing which for me is the morning we leave. lol.

I second the "pack a little of everything." We normally go in December. I remember one Decemeber with my mom FL had record colds (I think much of the orange crop was damaged with frost). We bought coats, gloves, hats and blankets (for the parades, Fantasmic, etc) - it was not cheap to buy this all at Disney prices. The highs some days was not even 40. Even this year, we had some days in the mid 80's and some days in the mid 60's for highs. I know that's Dec and not Jan, but I think Jan is just as variable as December.

The other thing I've found is that even if it's much warmer in Orlando than at home, if I don't have the right gear, spending a great deal of time walking outside will not be fun.

that had to have been Dec 07/Jan 08...right? We were there from Dec 27 to Jan 6 and sometime in the middle of our trip Florida was hit with some unbelievably cold weather, I believe the front came in the night of Jan 1st while watching Wishes. We were absolutely freezing most of our trip even during the day i remember being at DHS and trying to find gloves at the stores and were sold out everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter