Wear And Tear

BEASLYBOO

OKW/Disney... my happy place.

I'm a little upset at some of the things I read about wear and tear on our DVC units. I know that some of it just plain usage ove the years, however with that said, it really torks me :scared1: when I see cigarette burns on the bathroom countertops, glass rings on the tables, nasty spills on the carpet, crud on the pillows and the walls. To preserve our investment it's necessary for all of us to take care of things as we would in our own homes. I know that we 're on vacation but we chose DVC as a step up from ordinary accomodations, so let's try to keep it that way. I know most of us are carefull, but this goes to those who aren't, and you know who you are!

OKW-Jun6-Jun13-Family Reunion

I'm with you. I keep telling myself it's not members doing this. At least that's what I hope.

As I stated on an earlier post about missing items, "Do you really think "owners" are taking items such as the phones, pillows and kitchen items".

To preserve our investment it's necessary for all of us to take care of things as we would in our own homes.

Have you seen some peoples' homes? Maybe they are using the same care. I saw a grandma and a child jumping on the sofas at OKW. We were in the studio next door, and heard the racket, I went out to my balcony, and their blinds were wide open...there they were, jumping and giggling away.

As I stated on an earlier post about missing items, "Do you really think "owners" are taking items such as the phones, pillows and kitchen items".

Why wouldn't some owners walk away with items? I think it is just as likely they are owners (or their renters, which makes them responsible) as it is CRO cash guests.

The are probably the same type of people who heard their parents say "See this is why we can't have nice things" when they were growing up.

Have you ever watched Clean Sweep on TLC. I can't believe the way some people live.

Have you seen some peoples' homes? Maybe they are using the same care. I saw a grandma and a child jumping on the sofas at OKW. We were in the studio next door, and heard the racket, I went out to my balcony, and their blinds were wide open...there they were, jumping and giggling away.

Why wouldn't some owners walk away with items? I think it is just as likely they are owners (or their renters, which makes them responsible) as it is CRO cash guests.

You do have legitimate points. As an HVAC Company owner I have been in thousands of homes for differant reasons and it is amazing at how some live an mistreat the largest investment and purchase item in their lives. I have actually "declined" very profitable jobs in which I refuse to subject my employees to the conditions. If I won't do it I do not expect my employees to either. As far as the missing items I guess I was thinking as a business owner, " Why would I steal my own items?". :confused3

The are probably the same type of people who heard their parents say "See this is why we can't have nice things" when they were growing up.

Have you ever watched Clean Sweep on TLC. I can't believe the way some people live.

and if this is the way I lived I certainly wouldn't let the whole world in on it to see!

Shameful!

Gee, I guess I hope that members would be a bit more aware/less dense than cash paying guests and realize that taking or breaking things in their villa just costs all members more in annual dues.
For precisely this reason (that breakage, loss, extra maintenance, housekeeping, etc. costs everyone more in annual dues), we take care of our villa at least as well, if not better than our own home. Well, that, and the fact that we realize we share DVC resorts with other members and guests, so it's also common courtesy.
Yes, that's right - courtesy. Call me crazy, but when a bunch of sand ended up on our balcony floor at BCV (I was shaking the sand off our bathing suits after SAB) I swept it up. We also run the vacuum as required, clean the counters, turn off unused lights, make sure water is turned off completely, turn the A/C temp up when we are leaving the room...lots of little things that don't take very much effort or time. If something breaks, or we notice something wrong, we either fix it (if that's possible) or we call maintenance to fix it, so the next guest doesn't have to deal with it.
:idea: If everyone did this, everyone would benefit from lowered operating, mousekeeping and maintenance costs. Even as I'm writing that last sentence, I fully realize that it's unrealistic to expect everyone would actually do all this, but I'm sure YKWIM.
I have no proof, and I *know* many people claim otherwise, but I can't help feeling suspicious that a larger proportion of the non-members who do cash stay at DVC resorts (than members who stay on points or cash) have the attitude 'Who cares about that tear in the pillow, spill on the carpet, light that doesn't work, filthy mess in the bathroom, or the rack that just fell apart in the dishwasher.' I suggest that their thoughts when something happens is to justify leaving with a 'We'll never be back here...we paid for this villa. We're just getting our money's worth" or 'It's not my job to take care of it.'

But again, cash CRO members are a very small percentage of overall guests at DVC. Especially compared to guests renting points (and cheaply compared to CRO) from DVC members.

Why would folks who pay $$$ for cash reservations be more likely to cause damage than folks that pay substantially less for a bargain vacation by renting points?

You think folks that have the means to pay $300+ per night for a studio at OKW are more likely to damage the units than someone who rents a Sun to Thur stay for $80 per night?

I suspect cash paying guests might be more likely to take something, thinking there are no consequences or, be more likely to *not* take the same kind of care of their villa as someone who owns points and pays annual dues might. That is not entirely the same thing as saying cash guests cause more damage. But if you want to simplify things to the extreme...who knows, maybe cash paying guests do cause more damage.
Speaking for myself, I'm not entirely sure I take the same kind of care of something I rent, or plan to use only once, as opposed to something I own, and plan to use personally for many years....Would you purchase a car that was previously used as a rental? I wouldn't - maybe the people who rented it took great care of it, but I doubt it. It's not that much of a stretch for me to apply that same logic to DVC resorts.
Without any way to know what the facts are, there just isn't much point in arguing about it, is there? I suspect things, you say I'm wrong, let's leave it at that, shall we?
Before this digresses any further I want to stress my main reason for writing my earlier post was to agree with the OP that we should all do our part as members (whether we stay on points or pay cash) to take good care of our villas to prevent all unnecessary damage, wear and tear, loss.

The idea that "owners" will take better care because they own it and it's like their home is far from the truth. First, it's not really a home, more like a rental car, when you go once or twice a year and get a different unit and possibly a different resort each visit. My impression is that many "owners" feel they've paid for the privilege and can treat it any way they want. If my interactions with renting is any indication, I'd say renters are FAR more likely to take care of the resort/unit than are owners.

I would suspect some of the smaller items missing could be accidental pick up while packing or accidentally being thrown out.

I'm a little upset at some of the things I read about wear and tear on our DVC units. I know that some of it just plain usage ove the years, however with that said, it really torks me :scared1: when I see cigarette burns on the bathroom countertops, glass rings on the tables, nasty spills on the carpet, crud on the pillows and the walls. To preserve our investment it's necessary for all of us to take care of things as we would in our own homes. I know that we 're on vacation but we chose DVC as a step up from ordinary accomodations, so let's try to keep it that way. I know most of us are carefull, but this goes to those who aren't, and you know who you are!

OKW-Jun6-Jun13-Family Reunion

I have wanted to express these same feelings for years now! I can't believe some of the things that I have seen and read about! It is not just at DVC, but at all places I have stayed. I have to wonder...what are people doing in these rooms!!?:scared1: How do big chunks fall off the walls at head height? Dents in the fridge! Stains on everything and furniture beat up! What do these people do in there own homes?

There, I feel better now!:rotfl:

My DH agrees with the HVAC business owner. He is a plumber. He recently went to a home of people that own DVC, complaining their toilet wasn't working properly. He told them he would come back and look at it after they have cleaned it. They were highly insulted and now are with a different plumbing company.

He could tell you stories that would make your skin crawl.

I travel a lot for business and am lucky enough to stay in very nice hotels all over the US and in Europe. I'm constantly amazed at the damage I see. Accidents happen, but a lot of the problems look like someone with a total disregard for anyone else's needs couldn't be bothered to take care. My DH and I call these "the people who live alone in the world." They smoke in non-smoking rooms, leave burn holes in the bed spread and on counters, drop God knows what on carpets and upholstery and just leave it, etc. No reason to think that DVC would be different for these folks. I wonder how many people who are utterly offended when they don't get a "Welcome home" don't treat the resorts like a home? They don't bother to call in maintenance problems or do simple, fast clean ups that make it nicer for everyone. Like those selfish/ignorant/lazy guests who drop their filled trash bags in the hall instead of dropping them off in the trash room on the way out...seriously!!:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter