We Weren't Given Our Request To Be Close To A Smoking Area At CBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyana

Earning My Ears
This was our experience at CBR. It's not intended to start a smoking debate.
We were at the world for 2 weeks. The first week in a rental home with our daughter and her family and the second week DH and I at CBR.
I made this reservavtion 6 months in advance and made a request to be as close to a smoking area as possible. I did call back once to make some changes and double checked to be sure our request was noted and it was. Our room wasn't ready when we checked in which wasn't a problem for us. I asked the CM if our room was close to a smoking area and she looked in her room assignment book and politely said that smoking was allowed in the parking lot. I knew then that this was going to be a problem. We were in Jamaica building 41 on the side that is closest to the road. It took us 3 trips to get our things to our room on the second floor ( we needed a lot for 2 weeks). We decided to check and see where the smoking area was. The buildings are a strange shape with just a few stair cases. We went around at least 4 corners, down the stairs and around another corner before we found it. It didn't matter if we went right or left from our room it was still a long walk. We called to see if we could get a closer room and CM said not necessarily. We ended up keeping the room because we really didn't want to drag all our stuff back to the car. It wasn't easy to get to the parking lot either because we were in a cul-de-sac and the parking lot was a good hike from the building.
This was the 4th time we have stayed at CBR and the 1st since they changed the smoking policy. On the other trips we have loved this resort and felt very comfortable but not this time. My Dh and I have decided we won't be staying there again. The rental house we had the week before suited our needs much better.

I'm sorry that you weren't given your request. They are clear that they're only requests, not guarantees, but when they don't come through it still stinks. (We requested bed rails but could not get them on one of our trips.)

I am allergic to cigarette smoke and am thrilled that the resort rooms are now non-smoking, however I'm sorry that some of the other posters are being nasty to you. You didn't say "We were too far from the smoking area so we smoked in our room" or "We were too far from the smoking area, so we just stepped outside and lit 'em up" -- so it sounds to me that you were *not* an inconsiderate smoker.

I hope that your next vacation, and rental house, are wonderful.

Sorry, it didn't work out. That happens with requests.

My advice would have been to change rooms if possible. We did this on our first trip at the Beach Club. We spent one night in a room that just didn't work for us. If we would have stayed in that room the entire trip, we wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much as we did after we changed rooms. Moving our stuff was definitely worth it to us.

I'm sorry they were unable to provide you with a location you requested. It stinks you had to go out of your way to smoke, but hopefully you enjoyed the resort otherwise? :goodvibes

I hope that, other than that problem, your vacation was great! I'm also sorry for the way a few posters have reacted. :sad2: :grouphug:

Without giving my opinion on smooking, I would say that it must have been a real "DRAG" to have to walk all that way.:rotfl2:
Not sure what we'll do in June, hopefully not a far walk.:rolleyes1

And thats why its a request and not a guarantee. You dont have to smoke you know

I am not a smoker, but I have no issue with people that choose to smoke. What I do have issue with is people that make rude and sarcastic comments, without provocation.

I think the biggest misunderstanding here is what is considered "close to"

Having a look at the resort map showing the smoking areas in this area.. There are five smoking areas in the Jamaica complex.

CBR-JAMAICA.gif

As a smoker, I don't consider any of them particularly far from any of the areas where I could be placed.

I completely understand that someone else might feel a lot differently than I do. But if as noted in the post above, they were in building 41 facing the road and were told they could smoke in the parking lots -- that was certainly a very close walk.

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Knox

The attitude of the OP is typical of a smoker whereas they believe it is an entitlement to have conveniently placed areas to smoke, whether it be at Disney or elsewhere. Having noted that, the fact that she is complaining about the location of the room in relationship to the smoking area really shouldn't come as a surprise.

The OP's issue was not getting their request. It's not any different than someone being upset because they didn't get their request to be close to the pool or the food court and there is no more sense of entitlement in this post than someone with those issues.

Why does this have to turn so ugly? The OP was just venting her issue with a community of people that love Disney as much as she does. What if someone had an issue because they didn't get their room close to the food court so that they could over eat? Or close to a bar so that they could get drunk? Why does everyone have to slam the smokers? I think that the OP was trying to get a room close to the DSA to be a responsible guest.

As Thumper says if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

They requested a room. They didnt get it. The OP came across as mad at the resort because of this or angry at someone. Noone told them they were guaranteed a room close to smoking...

I am so sorry people are being so ugly.. please don't let this stop you from coming to disboards....

I for one.. am also allergic to the smoke smell.. but I don't gripe.. I just hope for the best.. again sorry for the post.

hope you vacation goes better next time.

They requested a room. They didnt get it. The OP came across as mad at the resort because of this or angry at someone. Noone told them they were guaranteed a room close to smoking...

You are right it is not guaranteed as other posters have mentioned. However, the personal comment regarding smoking you included in your post isn't necessary and that's what is bothering people. You simply could have said requests are not guaranteed. Being rude to other posters is against the guidelines here.

Really, :confused3 I did not read that in the OP's comments at all.

The OP didn't sound mad, or angry at all. They were simply relating their experience to people whom love Disney as well. I'm sure a debate was not intended, actually, I think I recall that the OP was not intending for a smoking debate to begin, but some find it necessary to start trouble. As we are all aware, requests are just that, requests, filled when possible, but not guaranteed. NO sacarstic remarks needed......

Ok, I too do not like the smell of smoke. As a former smoker, I do understand the issue that was brought up by the OP. It is difficult to change how and when you smoke, when you smoke, and most smokers are considerate of other people's feelings. Up until this past year, smokers were able to request a smoking room, but Disney chose to change their policy and it appears as though some smokers are having a difficult time finding a suitable answer. And I am sorry that the OP did not receive the room that they requested. I do hope that the OP will reconsider the CBR again in the future, it is a great resort.

But I feel that your post was uncalled for and very rude. As a former smoker, I must tell you that it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, to quit smoking, I am glad that I did but it was very hard, and I feel your response was demeaning. I have never had a sanctimonious attitude towards anyone who smokes, those that smoke do so for their own reasons and you owe the OP an apology. Your comment was demeaning and downright rude. I hope you change your attitude about smokers, they aren't bad people, they just have a bad habit.

Well said!

Inconsiderate? Absolutely. We all have been stuck walking behind a smoker in the parks or have walked past one and have politely noted that there is no smoking in the parks except in certain areas and have been met with, yes, inconsiderate responses. So, if this happens to pursuade just one smoker to reconsider going to Disney because he or she can't smoke, well then it is totally a win-win situation for the majority of visitors who happen to not enjoy smelling cigaratte smoke.

The attitude of the OP is typical of a smoker whereas they believe it is an entitlement to have conveniently placed areas to smoke, whether it be at Disney or elsewhere. Having noted that, the fact that she is complaining about the location of the room in relationship to the smoking area really shouldn't come as a surprise.
You don't realize how rude and misguided your comments are!

You are lumping the OP in with every inconsiderate smoker you've ever encountered. You've never noticed the CONSIDERATE smokers because they are the ones NOT smoking in non-smoking areas.

Being mad at the OP because of bad experiences you've had with rude smokers is exactly like hating someone of a different religion because you've had some bad experiences with other people of that same religion.

Just because other people who are in my club are rude, doesn't mean that I'm rude, too.

I'm a non-smoker, I hate smoke, I hate being around smoke, and I hate the idea of my kids (8 and 5) even knowing what smoke is. But I hate irrational and rude acts even more than I hate smoke.

Inconsiderate? Absolutely. We all have been stuck walking behind a smoker in the parks or have walked past one and have politely noted that there is no smoking in the parks except in certain areas and have been met with, yes, inconsiderate responses. So, if this happens to pursuade just one smoker to reconsider going to Disney because he or she can't smoke, well then it is totally a win-win situation for the majority of visitors who happen to not enjoy smelling cigaratte smoke.

Someone seems to have taken a whole bunch of nasty pills today :sad2: . Perhaps you need to take a deep breath, have a smoke and get a good night sleep. Maybe you'll wake up tomorrow with a better outlook on life and not be so judgemental of others. Me thinks you need to look within before you call others inconsiderate.:rolleyes1

Inconsiderate? Absolutely. We all have been stuck walking behind a smoker in the parks or have walked past one and have politely noted that there is no smoking in the parks except in certain areas and have been met with, yes, inconsiderate responses. [/B]So, if this happens to pursuade just one smoker to reconsider going to Disney because he or she can't smoke, well then it is totally a win-win situation for the majority of visitors who happen to not enjoy smelling cigaratte smoke.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

The Op plainly stated the smoking areas were inconvenient. People come here for advice and to offer their opinions and they end up being criticized and judged by you. I did not see where the op said they were not going back to Disney they plainly stated they would not be staying at CBR. I think you need to go back and read the op's original post.

OP, Those who judge will be judged in the end. Rudeness like the one above should not be tolerated on this board. Just don't let people like that change your mind about coming and asking for advice or offering yours. Its very informational to alot of us on here.

Boy, people sure do know how to make you feel good here, don't they? As a smoker, I can tell you that I am VERY considerate when I do smoke, as is my DH. We only smoke where allowed. The OP was only stating that she did not recieve the room that she requested and to me, I don't see a problem with her post. I requested a first floor room. I didn't get it. Yeah, I was kind of upset and yes I vented a little. We're all human. This is the kind of uncalled for petty JUNK that makes me sometimes be EMBARRASSED to call myself a member of the DIS. Lighten up, people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter