We want to see Football match while in Orlando

SimonY

Mouseketeer
The family (me, DW, DD (15), DS (12), DS (8)) are having our family holiday in Orlando arriving 24th October and leaving on 6th November.

We would really like to see a Football match (not soccer - American Football) while we're there. Not really worried about it being a big match - a local league game would be fine. Ironically the Bucaneers are playing at Wembley Stadium while we're in the States anyway.

Anyone have any ideas how we can find something? Trawling the internet hasn't helped so far.

Thanks in advance

Simon

There is the Citrus Bowl Stadium in Orlando but it doesn't look like they will be playing any games there while you are in the states.

I think the Florida Gators (college) are playing in Jacksonville while you will be around but Jacksonville is going to be a pretty far drive from WDW.

Hopefully some Florida locals will have better suggestions :goodvibes

The NFL (National Football league) only plays on Sundays, and 1 game on Monday. So the dates you mentioned would include 2 Sunday - the 25th (the day after you arrive). or November 1st.

On October 25th there are 2 games that would be anywhere near Orlando, and that would be the games between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New England Patriots being played in Tampa Bay Florida (which is about 90 miles away).
or
The Miami Dolphins against the New Orleans Saints being played in Miami (which is about 235 miles away).

There are no games on November 1st anywhere near Orlando.

So of the 2 games - Tampa Bay Vs. New England or Miami Vs. New Orleans you would need to pick which one (if tickets are still available). Keep in mind that tickets to NFL games are usually pretty expensive, but since I'm not very familiar with that aspect of the game, I'll not go too much into it (i'm sure someone here knows more about it, or you can find out more on the internet).

Personally I would look into the Tampa Vs. New England game (much closer and in my biased opinion a much better game - I'm originally from Boston and love the Patriots).

Hope this helps.

BTW, here is a link that shows what games are being played on what dates and where:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/schedules

Oops, sorry my bad.
You're right, they will be in London for that New England / Tampa Bay game.
I saw the schedule and it said that Tampa Bay would be "Home", but it didn't say where that "home" game was being played.

OK, so you still have the Miami game if you really want to see a professional game while you are there.

Sorry, I can't read to well this morning. :thumbsup2

Anyway, besides the NFL, the only other source for watching a football game would be either a college game or a local high school game.

There are actually 3 college games that are within about 100 miles or so from Orlando during that time period you mentioned.

The Seminoles are playing in Tallahassee. FL on Oct. 31st
The Gators are playing in Gainesville, FL on Oct 31st
the Bulls are playing in Tampa, FL on Oct 30

As for local High School games (usually played on Friday nights) I'm really not that sure (but I imagine that there will be quite a few games during that time period).

BTW, I did come across one other option. There is a new football league called the United Football League (the UFL) which will also be playing a game not too far from you during that time.
The Florida Tuskers will be playing the Las Vegas Locomotion in St. Petersburg Fl on Oct. 30.
Here is a link to the UFL website. It might be a good affordable alternative with some well played football.

http://www.ufl-football.com/schedule

Actually, for a lot of the better teams in College Football (like my Buckeyes, or of course those pesky Gators), tickets to college games can be harder to get than tickets to pro games. If you managed to get tickets to see the Gators, as much as it pains me to say it, you'd be seeing one of (if not the) best teams in college football (and probably better than any team in this UFL that was mentioned by a PP). If that matters.

My understanding is that the way we play High School sports in the US is very different that what's done in Europe (or maybe just about anywhere else). We don't have the kind of league & club sports that they have in the UK - a lot of football (and basketball, baseball, etc.) is centered around school - starting in junior high (13-14 years old). But going to a highschool game in another city could present all sorts of problems. You don't know what kind of environment you'd be going into - I doubt anyone who isn't a local could tell you what schools would present the best situation for you. I don't think you want to end up at an inner-city school, in a bad neighborhood at night. Just my take.

Maybe there's someone from the Orlando area who can give you insight.

That semi-pro league (if that's what it is - I'm a football fan, but have never heard of it) might be interesting, and probably better than going as an outsider to a high school game - though St. Petersburg (which is near Tampa) is obviously a longer drive. You're probably not going to see the sort of fanatical home team enthusiasm that you'd see at a school (high school or college) game, but you should get the feeling for the sport.

Good luck - and I hope you enjoy yourself. :cheer2:

The family (me, DW, DD (15), DS (12), DS (8)) are having our family holiday in Orlando arriving 24th October and leaving on 6th November.

We would really like to see a Football match (not soccer - American Football) while we're there. Not really worried about it being a big match - a local league game would be fine. Ironically the Bucaneers are playing at Wembley Stadium while we're in the States anyway.

Anyone have any ideas how we can find something? Trawling the internet hasn't helped so far.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Celebration High plays at home on the 24th at 7:30 pm. Don't know when you guys are arriving, but it's real close to WDW. :)

I would suggest e-mailing the sports department of the Orlando Sentinel (newspaper) for ideas of seeing a local high school football game during your stay.

www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ this is the e-mail I found on Google.

Have a nice trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter