We traded in our gas guzzler last night

Lorix2

<font color=blue>Pixie and Dylan's mom<br><font co
I no longer have my 97 Expedition that was costing me $30.00 every two days to get back and forth to work. I loved that truck especially in the snow and we took 3 trips to Disney with it and it never let us down, but we had to do it.

I bought a 2006 Toyota Avalon which is supposed to get approx. 22mpg city. The dealer filled the tank, so I'm really curious to see what the gas guage is on come Friday night at the end of the work week.

I am happy to not have to spend so much per week on gas now, I'm sure I'll notice a savings soon and I'm in a much newer car with newer features also.

I just hope I'll love this car in the snow.

Does anyone here own one?

I know the feeling, I traded my expedition 2 yrs ago. It was killing my wallet but I loved driving it. Good luck with the new car...

No, I don't own one, but I know your pocketbook will thank you :rotfl:

Enjoy the savings:goodvibes

Make sure to put snow tires on it, not the all weather tires. My mom has a 2000 Avalon, and doesn't put snows on it. It's pretty useless in the snow, and she grew up in northern NH, so she's pretty aware of how to drive in snow.

Good for you! You will enjoy the pocketbook savings and also, driving by the gas station is a huge benefit. I always hate stopping for gas!

My parents had an Avalon, and I think it was right around the model year you purchased. You should definetely get that gas mileage, maybe even more if you do a lot of highway driving. We live in one of the snowiest places in the US and they never had a problem driving it in the snow. The one thing they hated about it and the reason the got rid of it was that it was so terribly uncomfortable for their long trips.

How much did you have to pay to trade in your "gas guzzler" to buy a new Avalon? You may save a little in gas but a $400 a month note is going to eat up your savings. Some things are penny wise and pound foolish.

Prncss674 -

The car is not new, it's a 2006 as written in my post.

My payment is less than what I was spending for gas per month and I have a car that is 9 years newer. They gave me what I thought they would for my truck and a little money down. I'm happy with my decision. I don't know where you came up with a $400 note, but your not even close.

I could have kept the 97 Expy and put new tires on to the tune of $900, fixed the brakes and window, clamped on the exhaust again and paid for some body work due some rot over the fender and then pay to register it too this month and continue to waste money on a vehicle I no longer need because we dont' take road trips in it anymore. Or do what I did :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone else for their positive replies.

Make sure to put snow tires on it, not the all weather tires. My mom has a 2000 Avalon, and doesn't put snows on it. It's pretty useless in the snow, and she grew up in northern NH, so she's pretty aware of how to drive in snow.

thanks, I'll see how the first storm goes with it. The tires on it now are practically new.

don't blame you. It was $96 to fill up my Land Rover last week.

Luckily I mostly work from home and I only drive it once or twice a week. I'd hate to give it up because I love that thing and it's great for when we go camping or on weekend family trips. If I had to drive it every day into work I'd have to buy a different car too.

We have a 2004 Dodge Durango with the 5.7L V8. Has about 100K miles on it but looks and drives like new. Just a great vehicle but only gets about 16mpg around town, maybe 19 highway.

It's paid for and has needed very little repairs. Can't justify the expense of getting something newer even if it does get better mpg. It seats 7 and can pull our small camp trailer.

I no longer have my 97 Expedition that was costing me $30.00 every two days to get back and forth to work. I loved that truck especially in the snow and we took 3 trips to Disney with it and it never let us down, but we had to do it.

I bought a 2006 Toyota Avalon which is supposed to get approx. 22mpg city. The dealer filled the tank, so I'm really curious to see what the gas guage is on come Friday night at the end of the work week.

I am happy to not have to spend so much per week on gas now, I'm sure I'll notice a savings soon and I'm in a much newer car with newer features also.

I just hope I'll love this car in the snow.

Does anyone here own one?

I am so sorry for both of you :grouphug:
We had an Expidition that my dh traded in about 5 years ago for a
Buick Enclave. While he loved it, I could not stand to drive the thing and missed my Expidition :guilty:
We just purchased a new 2011 Expidition in March. I LOVE driving it!
It is VERY expensive to fill up in NY but love the ease of driving it.

Good luck! You made the right decision. I seem to be the only one that goes in reverse LOL :lmao:

I know the feeling, I traded my expedition 2 yrs ago. It was killing my wallet but I loved driving it. Good luck with the new car...

My payment is less than what I was spending for gas per month
So your Avalon takes NO gas? You are still having a net outflow of money towards the car. I do agree with buying a new-er car if your old car is no longer reliable, but I am just trying to make the point that you aren't really saving money by buying a new car. Your net car expenses are going up.

So your Avalon takes NO gas? You are still having a net outflow of money towards the car. I do agree with buying a new-er car if your old car is no longer reliable, but I am just trying to make the point that you aren't really saving money by buying a new car. Your net car expenses are going up.

How do you know that?

Grats on your new truck. Keep in mind that your avalon might have about the same size engine as your explorer. The front wheel drive will be ok in the snow, you will need to plow your driveway completely or you might get stuck however.

My v6 chevy suv gets 20mpg currently, thats driving to and from work. Your old explorer should have been about the same.

You won't miss your explorer!

Grats on your new truck. Keep in mind that your avalon might have about the same size engine as your explorer. The front wheel drive will be ok in the snow, you will need to plow your driveway completely or you might get stuck however.

My v6 chevy suv gets 20mpg currently, thats driving to and from work. Your old explorer should have been about the same.

You won't miss your explorer!
Okay for the sake of argument you stated that your Expedition was taking $30 every other day, which in turn on an average 30 day month means your gas bill is $450 (15 fillups per month @ $30)

Now let's assume that your Avalon get roughly 30% better gas mileage, which I doubt, but I will be generous. So now you are only spending $21 every two days on gas. So now your gas bill is $315(15 fillups @ $21)

Your net gas savings is $135. I am going to assume you didn't fall down the rabbit of hole of leasing so in order for you to get the payment that low you would have to had a large downpayment plus trade in. Since you have taken money out of your savings you have net opportunity costs related to that. If you can prove to me that you BOUGHT (not leased, not "smart" buy) a new Avalon with no money down for $135 a month, then I tip my hat to you.

I too own a gas guzzler who costs me $105.00 to fill (lincoln navigator), but i love it and work close to home and use it to shuttle kids around so need the space and hoping sometime in my lifetime to see normal gas prices again. I will say that we havent planned any road trips due to the cost of gas as hubby drives a newer truck which is not that great on fuel either.

Congrats on your new vehicle, hope you love it and enjoy many years with it!!!

Your net gas savings is $135. I am going to assume you didn't fall down the rabbit of hole of leasing so in order for you to get the payment that low you would have to had a large down payment plus trade in. Since you have taken money out of your savings you have net opportunity costs related to that. If you can prove to me that you BOUGHT (not leased, not "smart" buy) a new Avalon with no money down for $135 a month, then I tip my hat to you.

But she DIDN'T buy a NEW Avalon, she bought a 5 (or 6 year, depending on how you look at it) year old Avalon. Depending on where she lives and how she bought it, she COULD get a $135 a month car payment.

OP, congrats on the car! I recently traded in a dying Malibu for $2500 for a 2011 Sentra that gets almost 30mpg (wheras the 'Bu got 11 on a good day!) with NO MONEY DOWN and ZERO interest.

Totally worth it in my book.

Besides which - the Expedition was what, 14 years old? Compared to a 4 or 5 year old Avalon? Those big SUVs are expensive to repair so if we're going to get all technical let's not forget those bills.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter