We now call it Fitness-land...

ZanderMan

Mouseketeer
With technology these days it's amazing to see how you can track your life. I'm not putting this post up to brag about how many miles we walked on our trip. I thought It would be fun to share this info for others to gauge.

We went to the land of mouse this April during our kids spring break. Our trip was 12 days long, we purchased annual passes for the upcoming year.

My wife and I are in great shape. During our trip we would wake up and comment on how our legs would be sore after the previous long day at the parks. To give you an idea I wear an Apple Watch it will track your miles, steps, heart rate, calories burned etc. We walked a total average of 5.36 miles a day, 64.4 miles during the whole 12 days just at Disneyland & California Adventure alone. That's a whopping 121,743 steps. What? I was completely amazed! Yes we had umbrella strollers to push our boys (4yrs & 6yrs) around the parks. We would try to leave early in the morning to take advantage of the shorter lines. Around lunch time we would return back to the hotel to relax and rest for our return around 4-5 pm. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn directly across the street from the park. It's insane to see how much you can walk in a day. We now call it fitness-land at our house because we walked so far. Bring on the beignets!

One day my step counter logged in 29800 steps thanks to a long Saturday and a lot of park hopping for FPs. Oy.

Last edited:
And that ain't nothing compared to a trip to WDW. I would imagine that you could add another 3 miles/day because their parks are so big. Shoot, at Epcot, I've put on several miles just running from one live to show to another. It makes me thankful that I visit the more-compact parks these days. I'm sure my kid's legs appreciate it, too.

I love how much walking there is at Disneyland! The more times we go, the more we get used to all the walking. As long as we change shoes frequently, our legs and feet rarely get too sore or tired. I always thought that Disneyland would be a fun place to workout - power walking through the park (no running, remember!) for exercise and then riding a couple rides at the end as a reward! One can dream, right?!

My DH and I each have Fitbits and we are really excited to see how many steps we will walk when we are there in June. I was in WDW this past February with a few friends and I averaged about 25,000 steps a day while there, which I was very excited to see. I had a strong feeling that when we go to DL, I would be surpassing my WDW trip's count by a LOT due to the fact that we will be walking EVERYWHERE while there :thumbsup2. I find this to be a really good thing because I will be walking off all of that yummy DL food and snacks while we are there :rotfl:.

I'm so glad to hear this, because I intend to EAT when we're there! I don't eat a lot normally, but all the food posts here have me wanting turkey legs and dole whips and corn dogs and we have BB reservations and chef's counter reservations and Carthay reservations and I need a chili cone and a ghiardelli milk shake and lobster nachos and a pastry from Carnation Cafe....

BTW, I'm the one who posted to ask what healthy lunch options were to be had in the parks a couple months ago.

I wore an activity tracker for the first time when I went to WDW last year. On our first day, I did over 34,000 steps. That was an 8 AM EMH start at Epcot, a visit to Hollywood Studios, stopping back at the resort for dinner, then the rest of the night at Magic Kingdom, finish up at about 2 AM with evening EMH. That was a LONG day and lot of steps! But so much fun! Based on last year's and this year's trips to WDW, the average was 25k to 30k steps. Headed to DLR Thursday for the better part of a week, and I'll be curious to see how it compares. Though this time, I'll be visiting the parks with a slightly larger group that includes a child and an older couple, so I doubt I'll be putting in the hours or the level of running around we normally do when it's just the two of us at WDW for a long weekend.

We walked a total average of 5.36 miles a day, 64.4 miles during the whole 12 days just at Disneyland & California Adventure alone. That's a whopping 121,743 steps. What? I was completely amazed!

Not to be a downer, but that isn't very many steps. The American Heart Association recommends you walk a minimum of 10,000 steps per day. 120,000 steps over 12 days is just 10,000 steps a day, so you didn't do much more than the recommended. I have noticed that my Fitbit doesn't record perfectly when I'm pushing a stroller, so maybe you walked more than it said. I think those who said they got 20-30K a day make more sense for a typical Disneyland trip based on the number of steps I get on a typical day.

With technology these days it's amazing to see how you can track your life. I'm not putting this post up to brag about how many miles we walked on our trip. I thought It would be fun to share this info for others to gauge.

We went to the land of mouse this April during our kids spring break. Our trip was 12 days long, we purchased annual passes for the upcoming year.

My wife and I are in great shape. During our trip we would wake up and comment on how our legs would be sore after the previous long day at the parks. To give you an idea I wear an Apple Watch it will track your miles, steps, heart rate, calories burned etc. We walked a total average of 5.36 miles a day, 64.4 miles during the whole 12 days just at Disneyland & California Adventure alone. That's a whopping 121,743 steps. What? I was completely amazed! Yes we had umbrella strollers to push our boys (4yrs & 6yrs) around the parks. We would try to leave early in the morning to take advantage of the shorter lines. Around lunch time we would return back to the hotel to relax and rest for our return around 4-5 pm. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn directly across the street from the park. It's insane to see how much you can walk in a day. We now call it fitness-land at our house because we walked so far. Bring on the beignets!
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 20
Not to be a downer, but that isn't very many steps. The American Heart Association recommends you walk a minimum of 10,000 steps per day. 120,000 steps over 12 days is just 10,000 steps a day, so you didn't do much more than the recommended. I have noticed that my Fitbit doesn't record perfectly when I'm pushing a stroller, so maybe you walked more than it said. I think those who said they got 20-30K a day make more sense for a typical Disneyland trip based on the number of steps I get on a typical day.

Yes I totally agree 100% with what you said. I'm 6"3 and have a much longer step stride than most people. Who's to say the accuracy of the Apple watch is perfect. I'm a professional mountain biker so I train ridding my bike on average 40+ miles a day. So 5.36 miles walking is kitten play in my book.

Regardless of how people may want to diminish the act of walking 5 to 7 miles a day, the fact is doing so is very healthy and according to the American Heart association, reduces the chance of heat disease greatly. They also say that just walking 30 minutes a day (or about 2 miles) is beneficial. 10,000 steps isn't peanuts either and WILL make a difference in peoples lives if they do it daily.
Certainly we Americans would live longer and healthier lives if we got this kind of exercise more often.

Your step estimates are actually on the lower side compared to a lot of ones I've seen!
I agree! We usually had at least 20000 steps when we had no kids. We're in the 10k range now with kids. But that's the recommended # steps. So, no overeating. ;)

20,000 steps in one day= 10 miles. 30,000 steps =15 miles. I highly doubt MOST people are doing this DAILY at the parks. The average American walks 5,900 steps in one day.

Monday: 19800
Tuesday: 26155
Wednesday: 19780
Thursday and Friday: my phone stopped tracking my steps for some reason
Saturday: 29803 - my feet were very angry with me this day

I try to do 10,000 steps a day. Some days it's more in the 7-8000 range but then other days I'll go for 12-15 so it averages out.

I was the 'runner' for this trip. DH wanted more downtime for himself so while he and DD lounged by the pool I'd run for a fastpass or two and then join them back at the hotel. For additional perspective, we stayed at the GCH at one of the closest rooms possible to the DCA entrance and used the 'secret' entrance to DTD frequently.

We average between 21,000- and 27,000 steps. We are usually at the parks for about 12-13 hours each day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter