We need some "low key" days in our schedule

mguilford1

Mouseketeer
We are going last 2 weeks in October so dont want to overwhelm my granddaughter with a park everyday!! We have decided to have a "low key" day with no park visits on Wednesday's. I will book the pirate adventure cruise from Yacht club for my granddaughter from 9:30 am - 11:30 am. Do you have any suggestions for the rest of our day? BTW we have 3 half days in our schedule where we will just hang out at the pool!

You could go shopping at Downtown Disney or play a round of mini golf.

Fort Wilderness. You can go fishing, biking around the campground, horseback riding and, on scheduled nights, they have Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing-A-Long. FW is one of the best places to escape the hectic pace you adopt at WDW!

:scratchin Some options are going shopping at Downtown Disney, DisneyQuest (interactive games/entertainment at Downtown Disney West side), mini golf. A good idea might be to just play it by ear! Keep your options open for that day and when it comes, just do whatever you feel like.
One thing we do sometimes in my family is visit other resorts; they all have an amazing and unique atmosphere and can be fun to explore, especially if it's one you haven't stayed at! Many (mainly deluxe) have great shops (ie Basin at GF) and eating establishments (Beaches n Cream at Beach club). You could even make it a monorail tour- take the monorail to each resort it goes to :)

Your signature suggests you may be staying at AKL in October. If so, there are activities right there at the resort. You will get a schedule of them when you check in. Some are free and some are an extra fee. We've enjoyed everyone we've done from the kid's safari adventure something that they did to crafts to pool games to animal spotting to story time...

Some wonderful ideas that we use for our low key days are:
- Downtown Disney
- Resort Hopping
- Walk around the Boardwalk

We will sometimes book a lunch for the day, or even sit by the pool and relax! These are some great ways to spend a low key day, without having to spend extra money (if you do not want to).

We usually hit DTD for a movie when we need some downtime... the kids are always happy to just sit and watch a movie after they've been touring the parks and are tired...

We like to book our resort-based character meals on non-park days so we don't feel rushed to get on with our park touring. Options include O'Hana's breakfast, Chef Mickey's (Breakfast/Dinner), Cape May Breakfast. 1900 Park Faire Breakfast/Dinner.

We also like to make our way over to DTD at least once during our trip.

Grand Floridian also offers a Wonderland Tea Party/Mad Hatter Tea Party. It is described here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/grand-floridian-resort-and-spa/1900-park-fare/

and here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=227

I don't know your granddaughter's age or interests, but our kids (at all ages) love a little bit of time to relax, explore the resort and pool at a slower pace.

We alway spend a few hours of our down time going to AoA to see the Cars section. Of course I have boys but they love that part of the trip and we have some great pictures.

Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming! We are staying at Jambo (I will look into their activities). Our granddaughter will be 8 and we are 48:scared1:LOL Maybe she can go to the AKL club one night so we can have a date! Never thought of that!!:hug:

I second Fort Wilderness. We went there for the first time on our last trip (which was trip #4) and loved it. Very peaceful and relaxing. We only saw the horses and ate at Trail's End, but it was a very nice morning for us. Then we walked from FW to WL, again very relaxing. I would have loved to have checked out the many things available at FW. Maybe one day.

Imo, I would never consider DTD a place to go for a low-key day. I am not a shopper (isn't my dh blessed?) and I find the crowds there to be anything but relaxing.

I second the Tea at the Grand Floridian. There is the one for kids and then there is the regular one depending on her age. She might like to do that with her grandmother. :)

I second AOA. It is a great resort for kids, the theming is really great and there is plenty of room to wander and explore. The pool at Kidani is also a fun place to explore. I think you are able to do that if you are staying at Jambo house. The Boardwalk, Beach Club area is also beautiful. You can ride the boats without going into the parks. Have fun, she will love the vacation and time with her grandparents too.

We love to just go to Epcot and stroll around World Showcase if we want to do something low key. The shops are quaint, there are some neat shows about the countries, you could try some yummy snacks, and it really doesn't feel like being in a park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter