We need a little “Magic”, right this very moment! – Completed

Well it sounds like you had a fabulous cruise....thanks so much for sharing..I enjoyed reading your report....makes me excited for my up coming cruise.

Do not tell me that is cream on those pancakes. I know it's butter. :rotfl2:

Breakfast looks great.

I seriously had to read *I found the quote for our cruise in the Fish* about 10 times until I could figure out what you meant. :blush: I'm like: what's the Fish? :confused3 :lmao:

What exactly is Baked Alaska? It's looks like Neapolitan ice cream with cake around it. Like ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins.

Good to hear that clearing customs was easy.

:thumbsup2 Chloe is a performing like you. It is a skill I'll never possess.

You're right that IS Butter! :thumbsup2

Baked Alaska is an old school dessert where they take Neapolitan Ice cream encase it in cake and then in Merengue and light it on fire. They parade the flaming dessert around the room. I had it back in my childhood when it came out and was all the rage, I didn't get it then. Now I sort of understand, but I'm not all over it, that just sounded less sickening than the others.

I've loved reading your trip report, thank you so much :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope it helps you in planning somehow. I still have one more update!

Well it sounds like you had a fabulous cruise....thanks so much for sharing..I enjoyed reading your report....makes me excited for my up coming cruise.

I'm glad I could help you in the excitement category. You're on the Fantasy so things might be a little different, but I'm sure it will be magical and full of Pixie dust! pixiedust:

I guess you missed the one that we picked in the updates. Did we choose it! :confused3

Fran was talking about one of our 2015 trip saying we could add a 3 day cruise on there. They don't have a day at sea on three day cruises and so no brunch at Palo! I want a brunch at Palo on my cruise!

Well the brunch at Palo has been one of the draws for me, so I can't imagine going on a 3 day cruise without Palo...

Well the brunch at Palo has been one of the draws for me, so I can't imagine going on a 3 day cruise without Palo...

I know, Fran keeps talking about adding on three days, but I really need a sea day on any cruise. I really don't care so much for the ports, but love the days at sea! Each cruise we seem to get shorter and shorter, I hope that someday we get a nice long one with lots of sea days!

We were back at the airport within an hour and were dropped off at the terminal. We had a little bit of trouble finding the rental car pick up location, but soon enough we were on our way. We were going send me to get it and come back to get Fran, but the driver insisted that we just load up our stuff and head on over to the rental car location. He summoned us a porter and the nice gentleman stuck with us all the way to the car and loaded the bags for us and everything.

Soon we were on our way out of the airport for the second time in a week. Thank goodness for GPS navigation on smartphones. I started up the GPS and typed in Goodwill. There was one pretty close by our location and we were there within 10 minutes. Bingo! A large suitcase for $5.99! It was in pretty crummy shape, but the zippers closed and the wheels rolled. It wouldn’t stand up straight, but all it had to do was divide up our four overstuffed suitcases so that we didn’t have any one suitcase that would tax the backs of the baggage handlers.

With that we were ready for lunch. Breakfast was good, but it was a long time ago. As we were on approach to the airport via the bus, I noticed a 24 hour restaurant, and suggested that as a location for lunch. It wasn’t fancy, but all that I cared about was that it wasn’t a drive through or a chain that I could eat at any day at home.

As soon as I looked at the menu, I remembered we were in Texas and what is the State food of Texas? Chicken Fried Steak! Well both of us got our wish but two different ways. Fran ordered it Breakfast style.

And I got mine Lunch/Dinner style

But with Hash Browns instead of the Mashed Potatoes.

Once we were both good and full, we took our leftovers to go and headed down the block to the hotel. It wasn’t far at all and now all we had to do was get all the luggage inside so we could repack it all up. They had a bellman, so it was relatively painless. He loaded up the cart and brought the stuff to our room where Fran proceeded to pass out, but not before I got pictures of the room.

I had hoped that we might get out and see a little bit of the town, but soon it became evident that the most I was going to see this after was our hotel. Fran was just wiped out and really needed a nap. So I started to divide up the stuff into the new suitcase and try to even them all out weight-wise.

Once I had accomplished this I uploaded my pictures to Photobucket and posted an installment on the trip report. Then I settled in on the bed and watched some episodes of a crime drama marathon. It was either NCIS or CSI. I convinced Fran that if she still wanted to go to dinner that perhaps she should start waking up if we wanted to make our reservation time.

After a little coercion, she was up and moving and we were on our way to dinner. Del Frisco’s is located at the Houston Galleria which is a really swanky mall Downtown. I had sort of hoped that maybe we would have left for dinner a little early and hit the mall to window shop, but as I mentioned that didn’t happen.

We arrived at the restaurant which had an entrance outside the mall. Valet parking was $7, and since I couldn’t locate Fran’s Handicapped plaque that we had packed, we sort of had no choice, the parking lot was totally full. Once we were seated I admired the elegance of the place.

Now for any of you who have read my trips to Vegas you won’t be surprised. Del Frisco’s is pretty much an old school style steakhouse and just serves good plain and simple steaks.

They do have one heck of a wine list!

I was astonished to see that they have several of my favorite wines that I have in my cellar. I think when I bought them (right after bottling), I paid less than $100 for each bottle. Pretty good investment since my Montebello Cabs are from 1997 & 1998.

I have George de Latours dating back as far as 1994.

The bread service is always good.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

I started off with a Belvedere Gibson Up.

Fran had a margarita

I got a half dozen oysters on the half shell. I’m not sure what kind they were not my favorite kind, but they were still good.

We got the side of Onion Rings for an appetizer. They make the BEST onion rings.

And they came with two dipping sauces.

Fran got the Lobster Bisque which arrived with Lobster Meat in the bowl and they poured the soup on top of it. I’m sure it was awesome, she loves this stuff.

I ordered a half bottle of wine to go with my meal.

Our Longbone Wagyu steak arrived and they cut it tableside.

Fran’s plate

My plate

We didn’t quite finish the whole thing and ended up taking some home with us, but that did not stop us from ordering dessert!

I had the lemon cake. Seriously this piece of cake was almost as big as my head! But it was soooooo good. Fran just let me order it, she saw a piece on someone’s table while they were seating us. She didn’t bother to tell me how huge it was, but she was happy to help me out.

I’m pretty sure this is a glass of the Bonny Doon Vin de Glacerie. As I look back at the menu, the crazy prices of the other glasses of wine would have deterred me from ordering those. Besides the Vin de Glacerie is one of my favorite dessert wines, especially for the price! Speaking of prices, did you notice the Sauternes, Chateau d’Yquem! I’ve had a glass of that before at a dinner celebrating France. Yowsers! I knew it was expensive, and those prices were for half bottles! :eek:

This was some kind of berries with cream and Grand Mariner. She let me sip up the last of the Grand Mariner! It was rather tasty with the berry juice and cream.

After dinner, we just got back in the car and headed back to the hotel. We were tired and had to be at the airport at 6AM the next morning. I wanted to believe that we did more on this trip than just eat and drink, but as I look back on each post, that’s pretty much all we did. Every time we stopped to relax, it was before yet another session of eating and drinking. :confused3

Oh well, we had a good time doing it so I guess that’s all that matters.

The next morning was uneventful. We drove the rental car back to the airport. I dropped off Fran with the Porter who checked my ID and issued boarding passes for us. I returned the rental car and met her back in the terminal and we headed off to our gate. I got a coffee from Starbucks and she ordered us breakfast from McDonald’s. I wasn’t really hungry so I think I just ate a hashbrown.

We headed to the gate to get a tag for the scooter and waited to board. Here’s our plane.

Say, “Bye, bye Houston!”

On the plane Fran slept. I worked on writing the text of the TR, and planned on inserting the photos at home once they were uploaded to PB. They served a cold breakfast which Fran declined. I did save her my blueberry muffin because I just got too full.

Once we landed it was uneventful getting back to the main terminal and picking up our bags. I left Fran curbside while I retrieved the car from the remote parking lot. I think we were home before noon. Another great trip accomplished.

So here’s the plan for the moment. July, San Luis Obispo weekend trip with the Gay Car Club, and later a trip to see my parents new home for my HS reunion. August D23 Expo, there will be a full blown TR for THAT! We purchased the premium level experience with extra perks and no waiting for any presentations. September, a quick trip to DLR with PIO and her family and then back to WDW.

If you’re not already following along, come on over and join the fun!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3104038

TTFN!

I finally realize what it is about you and Fran that I like so much and am fascinated by when reading all your TRs & PTRs ( and believe me I am reading )
Its that the "real" you and Fran are right here in the words and the pictures:

1-take a cruise
2-stop at Goodwill for a suitcase
3-buy a $90 steak
4-eat a MickeyD breakfast

KWIM ?? comfortable in your skin, well rounded REAL people no pretenses just YOU I LOVE having friends like this :goodvibes

Ruthie

The end of another TR and the start of another one. :thumbsup2

That last day in Houston was amazing. The size of the food serves was real Texas style.

Here's to September in DLR AND WDW.

I know, Fran keeps talking about adding on three days, but I really need a sea day on any cruise. I really don't care so much for the ports, but love the days at sea! Each cruise we seem to get shorter and shorter, I hope that someday we get a nice long one with lots of sea days!

That is how I feel too. And why we booked the TA, I have 8 days straight at sea...... All of the ports are at the first and then a long slow boat ride back to the US... I know it is not Disney, but you could come along with us..

I finally realize what it is about you and Fran that I like so much and am fascinated by when reading all your TRs & PTRs ( and believe me I am reading )

1-take a cruise
3-buy a $90 steak

KWIM ?? comfortable in your skin, well rounded REAL people no pretenses just YOU I LOVE having friends like this :goodvibes

Ruthie

I have to say, that it part of why I like Alison and Fran so much, they are just themselves, and remind me of David and I.... I can be cheap on things so I can be expressive in other places..

An end to another great trip! Thanks so much for sharing the adventure with us :) to have good food and drinks makes for a fabulous trip, there's no problem with that in my book.

I'm glad you were able to find another suitcase, good idea going to Goodwill.

Sad to see the TR come to an end! You had a great cruise.

That Chocolate tasting looked really good and that last drink tasting looked interesting, too.

All your upcoming trips sound great too, can't wait to hear about them! Congrats on the newest cruise booking.

I am so glad that was butter. :lmao:

Another great report! Looking forward to all of your Disney summer adventures especially D23! :woohoo:

Wow what a fantastic trip you had! Thinking back too, you did a lot of alcohol tastings and the best food! I'm assuming for you 2014 trip, you'll be having more Palo Brunches with your server?!

OMgosh, your dinner at the last restaurant in Houston....looks AMAZING! I've never heard of that type of steak before! It looks delicious though!

1-take a cruise
3-buy a $90 steak

Ruthie

You're funny! But yes, we just do what we want. I love fine dining, but unfortunately I also enjoy some Fast Food (not to excess). And why pay extra for a suitcase when you can find a throw away one second hand! You would be surprised at how many things we have in our house that came from Garage Sales and Thrift stores that are just wonderful and we paid much less than if we got them new!

The end of another TR and the start of another one. :thumbsup2

That last day in Houston was amazing. The size of the food serves was real Texas style.

Here's to September in DLR AND WDW.

Even in Las Vegas they still have the same size of Food serves! We love this place!

That is how I feel too. And why we booked the TA, I have 8 days straight at sea...... All of the ports are at the first and then a long slow boat ride back to the US... I know it is not Disney, but you could come along with us..

i'd love to come along, but we have our trips all scheduled out, nothing spontaneous going here.

I have to say, that it part of why I like Alison and Fran so much, they are just themselves, and remind me of David and I.... I can be cheap on things so I can be expressive in other places..

Yeah, you guys seem to be the same, you cook all your dinners at home, but when you go out, you go all out! :thumbsup2

YES thats what I mean too

:thumbsup2

An end to another great trip! Thanks so much for sharing the adventure with us :) to have good food and drinks makes for a fabulous trip, there's no problem with that in my book.

I'm glad you were able to find another suitcase, good idea going to Goodwill.

Yeah, well I guess I should be happy that we had good Food and Drinks. I hoped that we did more than that, but obviously we didn't. :sad2:

Sad to see the TR come to an end! You had a great cruise.

That Chocolate tasting looked really good and that last drink tasting looked interesting, too.

All your upcoming trips sound great too, can't wait to hear about them! Congrats on the newest cruise booking.

Thanks! The chocolate tasting was quite different and quite a treat! I hope you will join in on the future trips!

I am so glad that was butter. :lmao:

Another great report! Looking forward to all of your Disney summer adventures especially D23! :woohoo:

Yes it WAS butter! :lmao:

Somewhere I will post a link to the D23 report, so I'm sure you'll find it!

Wow what a fantastic trip you had! Thinking back too, you did a lot of alcohol tastings and the best food! I'm assuming for you 2014 trip, you'll be having more Palo Brunches with your server?!

OMgosh, your dinner at the last restaurant in Houston....looks AMAZING! I've never heard of that type of steak before! It looks delicious though!

There are two sea days, so I'm guessing that we will book both at Palo. I mean why wouldn't you? :confused3

The Wagyu beef is the American equivalent of Kobe beef. We have had it a few times at Del Frisco's in Las Vegas and it was always awesome.

I'm not quite sure about the 2014 cruise, but we will probably try to get Palo twice. There are two days at sea and two days in port. Not as long a cruise as we wanted, but it works with our schedule at will get us that closer to platinum. Fran wants the 20% discount on merchandise! :rotfl2:

Yeah, well I guess I should be happy that we had good Food and Drinks. I hoped that we did more than that, but obviously we didn't. :sad2:

Of course you did! You went on two fabulous excursions. Did some fantastic shopping. Watched several fun movies. You had a wonderful vacation!

There are two sea days, so I'm guessing that we will book both at Palo. I mean why wouldn't you? :confused3

The Wagyu beef is the American equivalent of Kobe beef. We have had it a few times at Del Frisco's in Las Vegas and it was always awesome.

I'm not quite sure about the 2014 cruise, but we will probably try to get Palo twice. There are two days at sea and two days in port. Not as long a cruise as we wanted, but it works with our schedule at will get us that closer to platinum. Fran wants the 20% discount on merchandise! :rotfl2:

Will that be your 4th cruise? And you need 5 for platinum right? Usually people want the Platinum to show that you're an avid Disney Cruiser, but nope not Fran! She wants it purely for merchandise discounts! :lmao:

How did I miss this update? :confused3 :confused3

Del Frisco's? They have it in Vegas? DH and I are looking for another great steak house for our August trip. I just text him and told him to look into it.

Breakfast style on the chicken fried steak. That looks incredible. I love chicken fried steak and fried eggs. Mush it all together! :cloud9: I know that's your favorite. :laughing:

I'm on board for your WDW report and I'll be there for the D23 report. Make sure you link or PM me. We may be heading out to So Cal this summer for a week, not sure when exactly, but we need to go to Johnny Rebs. If you're around, hopefully we can make it happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter