We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals - Updated 1/15

TEACUP CHAIRS!!!!!!!! I want one, I want one! Those are probably the coolest Disney chair I have ever seen. Can you steal one for me? Well, not really cause I don't want to get you in trouble with Disney. And that is so cool that Goofy just plopped down with you in the teacup chair! What a fun little treat!

Do I sense some kitty foreshadowing? I mean, stray cat in DL, meow bumper sticker (even though not directly related to kitties with your explanation), and the fact that kitties are cute and irresistible?? :cat: I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Looks like you guys had an awesome Christmas, even if it was gift-light. It doesn't matter how many presents you get, as long as they're good, and in your case, Disney gifts are about as good as they come, so you made out pretty well. I love the matching Pluto hat for Duffy! I have wanted a Duffy for quite awhile now, and since he's all over your TR, I keep thinking about getting him. I wanna dress him up all cute and stuff, but I don't think I would get him a bjorn either, just cool outfits so he can travel in style.

Looking forward to more updates to see what the new year has brought you guys out in Cali!

We LOVED the teacup chairs. I so want one for our living room. If only... We also loved how much time we got to spend hanging out with Goofy. He was a lot of fun.

You definitely sense some kitty foreshadowing, but I guarantee it's not the kind of foreshadowing you're expecting. Remember, I'm really allergic to cats, so we can't actually have one (plus our lease forbids it). Just because we can't get one doesn't stop them from finding us, however. You'll see.

We definitely weren't disappointed with our gift haul in the end. Everything was really fun, and Duffy got what he wanted! :) You should definitely get yourself a Duffy. He's a very pleasant sort.

Hope you keep enjoying reading about our exploits :thumbsup2

What a sweet Christmas you two had! You two are really cute! Such thoughtful gifts that you gave each other too!

I do not tweet, so I don't follow the cats on Twitter, maybe if they had a Facebook page, I might.

Aw, thanks! :) We did enjoy our Christmas very much.

As for the cats, they are on Facebook too (facebook.com/disneylandcats) but the page is having some technical difficulties.

That's a wonderful Christmas you two had. I love your gifts to each other. :goodvibes

And I agree with franandaj....the two of you are soooo cute!

It was definitely a great Christmas. And we were quite all right with it not being a white one!

Alison - If you don't already do so, you need to check out Grumpy Cat on FB. ;)

Very true.

Sounds like you guys had a great Christmas. I love that they were almost entirely Disney-related gifts. And love the santa ears.

Shockingly, I've never been to that zoo. Unwittingly, I'd skipped irvine regional my whole life and only rode the train this Easter. We used tickets we bought as part of a booklet for kids Easter activities. I wouldn't have paid $20 either.

Be sure to catch the Orange Street Fair at the end of the summer. Super crazy but tons of food booths etc. Go earlier in the day for fewer drunken college students.

And I haven't been to the Disneyland hotel since they had dancing waters there. Love the teacup chairs.

For almost all of our holidays, our gifts are pretty much entirely Disney related! That's just how we roll, I guess.

You should definitely check out the OC Zoo. Very fun and SO cheap. That whole park just makes for a fun way to spend an afternoon. I'm jealous you got to ride the train. Maybe someday we'll find a way to make it much less than $20.

We are definitely looking forward to the Orange Street Fair. I feel like a few random people have told us about it when we tell them where we live, so we'll have to go.

You need to pay another visit to the Disneyland Hotel, if for the teacup chairs alone! They're the opposite of comfortable, but boy are they fun!

Sorry that Tracy wasn't feeling well.

Looks like a fantastic night to see Fireworks and WoC for free.

Wow I didn't realise it cold in California! Glad you managed to stay until midnight to see the fireworks and you beat the traffic home I'm so jealous that you only live 10 minutes away, really hope you manage to get some park time soon xx

Your renegade New Year's Eve sounded so fun! Glad you guys got to see 3 different "shows" to have the maximum Disney experience for only a few bucks for that dessert! It must be fun to write your updates and get to remember/relive the fun stuff you and Tracy have been doing since you moved. I know you're only updating about the fun trips and cool Disney stuff that is happening, and not the days where you work or do laundry or grocery shop and such, but it still seems like you guys are having a blast!

And I watched through PLL on Netflix too, but I didn't have that channel on tv, so I've still only watched the first two seasons. Such a guilty pleasure show for sure!! I'm sure I'll marathon through season 3 whenever it gets to Netflix!

Hi Taylor,

I just wanted to officially check-in to say that I've been following your grand adventure from the get-go, but have never commented.

I give you and Tracy a lot of credit for following your dreams! Your report continues to be very interesting, and a good read. Thanks for sharing it. :)

I am really enjoying reading about your move and your adventures since then. We were at the Disneyland Hotel on New Year's Eve, staying at the hotel, and we didn't stay awake for the midnight fireworks. However, the sound did wake me and I watched them from our window. It was nice to hear about them from you. I look forward to all the updates and your continuing Disney adventures. I think it's fabulous how you find ways to enjoy Disneyland without being able to go in the Parks. Please keep writing. It is a way for me to get a little Disney every day too.

Ryan

The Preacher's Wife?!? I must stop this travesty! Try the original if you haven't -- The Bishop's Wife. David Niven, Cary Grant and Loretta Young are such a hard group to beat.

Alison - If you don't already do so, you need to check out Grumpy Cat on FB. ;)

He was amusing....I'm picky about what I like and don't cause of all the invasive marketing.

And I haven't been to the Disneyland hotel since they had dancing waters there. Love the teacup chairs.

Wow you need to go back! Those were there on my first trip, and I'm not saying how many years ago THAT was!

Sound like you had a great NYE! I've been in the parks before on NYE and it is just packed and even worse leaving after the fireworks. After a couple years of doing that we gave it up. Maybe once we feel better we might try something Disney again, but you're right, it gets REALLY cold out there. You wouldn't think so, but it does.

Looking forward to hearing about your 2013 adventures and especially what you get for jobs and how you end up getting passes!

Sounds like you had a magical New Years Eve! pixiedust:

Whilst I just love love love Christmas, I tend to be a bit of a "Grinch" about New Years Eve, preferring to stay home and avoid all the crowds! I am pleased that you guys made it a Disney night to remember. You guys are having so much fun and you haven't even got your AP's yet ... can't wait to hear about your adventures once you actually get into the park! popcorn::

Also, I do enjoy hearing about what you are reading and watching. I am currently addicted to an American series that wasn't ever shown on our main-stream TV channels in Australia - Friday Night Lights! I have been watching on DVD and am totally addicted ... that's my guilty pleasure! :happytv:

:goodvibes

The Preacher's Wife?!? I must stop this travesty! Try the original if you haven't -- The Bishop's Wife. David Niven, Cary Grant and Loretta Young are such a hard group to beat.

Oh yes! DO try this one--it is lovely and we watch it every year without fail!

Our very favorite is "Scrooge" with Albert Finney--it is FANTASTIC!!!

Isn't it great when you can find something that is little or no cost and you have such a wonderful time. I'm so glad Tracy felt better by the end of the evening. Sounds like so much fun. My best New Years Eve moment was the year when we had been married only a few years and my husband and I went ice skating at a local park. There is a gazebo there with a water moat around it. We were the only ones there, it was a full moon and it was magical.

Thank you so much for sharing your stories with us! I love California and the Disneyland Resort, it must be great to live so close to the parks. Please keep telling us about your adventures. Greetings from Germany!

Sorry that Tracy wasn't feeling well.

Looks like a fantastic night to see Fireworks and WoC for free.

Luckily she started feeling better in time for all the festivities to actually begin! We certainly loved our free New Year's celebrations.

Wow I didn't realise it cold in California! Glad you managed to stay until midnight to see the fireworks and you beat the traffic home I'm so jealous that you only live 10 minutes away, really hope you manage to get some park time soon xx

We didn't realize it ever got that cold here either! We had packed away our winter coats thinking we'd really never need them again. Luckily, we hadn't given anything away! We were really glad we stayed till midnight as well (and that there wasn't traffic). We can't get over living so close either. And don't worry, park time is coming up before too long :)

Your renegade New Year's Eve sounded so fun! Glad you guys got to see 3 different "shows" to have the maximum Disney experience for only a few bucks for that dessert! It must be fun to write your updates and get to remember/relive the fun stuff you and Tracy have been doing since you moved. I know you're only updating about the fun trips and cool Disney stuff that is happening, and not the days where you work or do laundry or grocery shop and such, but it still seems like you guys are having a blast!

And I watched through PLL on Netflix too, but I didn't have that channel on tv, so I've still only watched the first two seasons. Such a guilty pleasure show for sure!! I'm sure I'll marathon through season 3 whenever it gets to Netflix!

We definitely made the most of our almost-free New Year's! We loved doing as much as we could at Disney for free, especially during those first few months here. And you're right that we really have been enjoying ourselves. Honestly, even those days grocery shopping and doing laundry inevitably are filled with some sort of adventures too.

ALERT! Season 3 of PLL is on Netflix now! We re-watched the last few episodes in preparation for the Season 4 premiere tonight! So there goes your next 24 hours... You're welcome ;)

Hi Taylor,

I just wanted to officially check-in to say that I've been following your grand adventure from the get-go, but have never commented.

I give you and Tracy a lot of credit for following your dreams! Your report continues to be very interesting, and a good read. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Thanks for finally coming out of the woodwork and commenting! I'm glad that you've been enjoying reading along :thumbsup2 Hopefully our adventures will keep being entertaining.

I am really enjoying reading about your move and your adventures since then. We were at the Disneyland Hotel on New Year's Eve, staying at the hotel, and we didn't stay awake for the midnight fireworks. However, the sound did wake me and I watched them from our window. It was nice to hear about them from you. I look forward to all the updates and your continuing Disney adventures. I think it's fabulous how you find ways to enjoy Disneyland without being able to go in the Parks. Please keep writing. It is a way for me to get a little Disney every day too.

Ryan

I'm so glad you're enjoying reading about our shenanigans! Your Disneyland Hotel New Year's sounds pretty awesome as well. We definitely did our fair share of exploring Disney before we could get into the parks! Hopefully you'll enjoy hearing about our adventures once we got our passes just as much. I'll certainly keep writing about them as long as there are folks like you out there who are interested in reading about them. :)

Okay, this one should have had a caveat. The Preacher's Wife was one of the movies Tracy's family always watched when she was young, and she and I watched it once a couple years ago. At the time, I read on Netflix about the original and made a mental note to rent it one of these years. Now that I know it's highly recommended, I'll have to follow through.

He was amusing....I'm picky about what I like and don't cause of all the invasive marketing.

Wow you need to go back! Those were there on my first trip, and I'm not saying how many years ago THAT was!

Sound like you had a great NYE! I've been in the parks before on NYE and it is just packed and even worse leaving after the fireworks. After a couple years of doing that we gave it up. Maybe once we feel better we might try something Disney again, but you're right, it gets REALLY cold out there. You wouldn't think so, but it does.

Looking forward to hearing about your 2013 adventures and especially what you get for jobs and how you end up getting passes!

I honestly don't think it would be that fun to actually do New Year's IN the parks. It's just got to be so crowded and claustrophobic... We liked our little renegade celebration at Paradise Pier quite well, and we might watch from there again on the 4th of July!

Hopefully you'll enjoy hearing about our 2013. I can tell you that so far it has been QUITE action-packed. Looking forward to sharing all our new adventures.

Sounds like you had a magical New Years Eve! pixiedust:

Whilst I just love love love Christmas, I tend to be a bit of a "Grinch" about New Years Eve, preferring to stay home and avoid all the crowds! I am pleased that you guys made it a Disney night to remember. You guys are having so much fun and you haven't even got your AP's yet ... can't wait to hear about your adventures once you actually get into the park! popcorn::

Also, I do enjoy hearing about what you are reading and watching. I am currently addicted to an American series that wasn't ever shown on our main-stream TV channels in Australia - Friday Night Lights! I have been watching on DVD and am totally addicted ... that's my guilty pleasure! :happytv:

:goodvibes

It really was a great New Year's! In the past, we have absolutely been the type to stay home to celebrate as well (we were in NYC for at least 3 New Year's Eves and never once thought of going to Times Square). We definitely made this one a fun introduction to our new Disney year though. Hopefully you'll enjoy our tales from the park as much as all these renegade experiences!

I'm glad that you enjoy my updates about what we're watching/what I'm reading. We have been meaning to watch Friday Night Lights for years. It's come so highly recommended from so many people, and I'm sure we'd really enjoy it. Maybe one of these days we'll actually start watching.

Oh yes! DO try this one--it is lovely and we watch it every year without fail!

Our very favorite is "Scrooge" with Albert Finney--it is FANTASTIC!!!

We'll definitely try to watch The Bishop's Wife this year. I've also never see Scrooge, though I LOVE almost any movie based on A Christmas Carol.

Isn't it great when you can find something that is little or no cost and you have such a wonderful time. I'm so glad Tracy felt better by the end of the evening. Sounds like so much fun. My best New Years Eve moment was the year when we had been married only a few years and my husband and I went ice skating at a local park. There is a gazebo there with a water moat around it. We were the only ones there, it was a full moon and it was magical.

I think it was extra fun making the most of our night while spending as little money as possible. Between sneakily watching all the shows and going on the quest for the hats, we just had a great time and laughed a lot. Your New Year's Eve spent ice-skating sounds absolutely wonderful. Those types of serene moments are so rare, and it sounds like a great way to ring in a new year.

Thank you so much for sharing your stories with us! I love California and the Disneyland Resort, it must be great to live so close to the parks. Please keep telling us about your adventures. Greetings from Germany!

I've said it before, but I think one of the coolest things about sharing our experiences here is having people read about them around the world! I'm so glad that you're enjoying reading along. Hopefully you'll enjoy the tales of our times in the parks just as much :cool1:

Don't leave us hanging! :eek:

Can't wait for the next installment! popcorn::

I definitely recommend Friday Night Lights ... but then again I am not familiar with the whole football culture! I really enjoyed this series because of the interaction between the characters. :rolleyes1

"Our" routine is changing?????

Oh boy!

And I was so enjoying this vicarious lifestyle.

LOVE.THOSE.PINS!!!!! I'm envious! What a find--and a great price!

I'm salivating over that pretzle--didn't know they had those at Whitewater Snacks!

Have you put up a picture of Stupey Doodle yet;)?

That's it??????????

I hope that next installment comes around quickly!

That was nice that the CM whipped up a fresh batch of pretzels!

We were shocked as well on how cold it gets here. When we moved to OC Jan 2011, we barely needed sweaters. By December we were lighting logs in the fireplace to take the chill off many mornings.

I never thought once about going to the Disneyland hotels' lobbies during the holidays but will try to do that this year when are blocked out from the parks, just to see the decorations.

And now I'm itching to know where that thrift store is. :D looking forward to more of your journey/story!

1. Weather - It always amuses me when people say that it isn't cold in California. I have lived here my entire life, and I know that it does get cold from time to time. Sure it's not Chicago-cold, but it can easily drop down to 30 degrees in SoCal and much lower than that in the mountains. It's certainly cold enough to bundle up and bust out the hot cocoa!

2. Christmas movies - "Love Actually" is on one of the HBO channels right now!:cool1::woohoo: Sam's dad just bumped into the Claudia Schiffer lookalike and is googly-eyed.

"Elf" (another favorite) was on Starz earlier this morning! Such a great movie.

Do you and Tracy get the Hallmark Channel? You mentioned "The 12 Dates of Christmas," and I wondered if you had ever caught any of the 2-month long Christmas countdown marathons that start on Hallmark in early November and run until early January. Every weekend during those 2 months, they run Hallmark holiday movies (along the lines of "12 Dates...") all day and night, and I have become addicted. The movies are usually frothy, upbeat, harmless, good-natured, Christmas fare -- almost always involving a disenchanted woman who dislikes Christmas and romance....and by the end of the movie she loves both Christmas and a guy!:rotfl2: Some of the best movies they show are "Farewell, Mr. Kringle," "The Most Wonderful Time of Year," "Trading Christmas" and "Mrs. Miracle," but there are a lot of good ones.

3. Hidden Mickeys -- I love the hidden Mickey in the Marceline's Confectionery sign/logo. That's always been a favorite.

I don't know if you saw it, but there is a hidden Mickey by or on the front door of Vault 28 in DTD as well. You may have to walk right up to the door to see it, and it's better to do that when they have not opened yet and the front door is closed, but it's there!

Another favorite hidden Mickey is in the grandfather clock in the GCH lobby, but I don't know if it has been replaced. It was gone the last time I looked.:confused3

4. Gingerbread houses? I may have missed it in one of your previous posts, but was the little gingerbread neighborhood still up in White Water Snacks when you stopped in there during the holidays? It wasn't just one house -- there were two houses with cute little snowmen and reindeer in front.

Storytellers Cafe also has a different (larger) gingerbread house every holiday season -- the one in 2011 was really aromatic. The one in 2012 was not as fragrant, but it was still fresh gingerbread. In 2010, apparently Storytellers briefly put up an elaborate Haunted Mansion Holiday-themed gingerbread house...and then quickly took it down for reasons that remain mysterious. Only one waiter admitted to having seen it for a second, while everyone else in the restaurant feigned ignorance. A year later, some of the Storytellers employees confessed to knowing about the HMH gingerbread house from 2010, and they speculated that it was quickly taken down for "legal reasons." It was taken down so fast that some of the CMs who work in the restaurant didn't even know it had ever been there!:rotfl2:

5. The picture of you and Tracy wearing the New Year's hats in front of the PPH tree is great!

6. I can totally relate to the cat allergy! I'm also terribly allergic to cats -- which is a shame, as I love animals. Are your allergies to the point where you could just be standing in a room -- even post-vacuuming -- where a cat had been at one point and still have a reaction? A lot of friends of mine have never understood why I couldn't go to their houses because I was allergic to their cats. They figured that since they were not allergic, neither was I! Or they figured that I would sneeze once and that would be the end of it. Wrong! Cat hair can find its way to an allergic person standing two rooms away if it wants to find them, and those allergies can get wicked!

You and Tracy should join us in the Disneyland at Christmas Time/Holiday Season Superthread at some point (on the main DL forum) -- especially when we start the (3 Month) Theme Week Countdown in August. I think you both would enjoy it because you love Christmas and you love Disneyland! Cheshirecatty and Pesky post there too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter