We missed Castaway Cay :(

As cold as it may sound, I have to say I am surprised that they divert for medical emergencies. I understand with planes, because you can land quickly in most cases. But, if someone is that sick, how can they get to help in time on a ship? Even going full speed you are still hours from anywhere in most cases.

I always figured you were on your own if you had a serious emergency at sea. The medical crew can do whatever they can, and you can get off at the next port and try and get to a hospital there. Or, get a medical evac to your home country. But, diverting the entire ship??? I'm actually surprised they do it.

We were on the Dream last month and DID dock at CC, so guess we were the lucky ones...

It's funny, in the past I never understood the extent of the upset people would have about a lack of CC, but then we almost never were on a 3-day that only visits Nassau & CC!! What a difference that makes!!

And even though we docked, the jet ski activity was canceled, which was the big reason we cared about CC (we live at the beach in CA, so that part was no biggie). For weeks, DH & DS talked about their jet ski adventure...and nope, not gonna happen!

Not sure what my point is...:lmao: but guess I just want to say when there are fewer opportunities for stops, each one is amplified. But while I understand more now how it can be a bummer, I still can't see them giving any special compensation for it - the big disclaimer of each & every cruise line is any stop is weather permitting (and emergencies must factor in there too)!!

Hmm, when we could not dock at Castaway Cay a few years back I do not remember being reimbursed any port taxes.

Did you?

For 2 adults and 2 kids it was $38 or something...nothing to get excited over.

I don't feel they really added that many activities to compensate - seemed to me there was much less to do than any other sea day. Plus the pools were closed for most of the morning. We did get a free cocktail by the pool. But, medical emergency is more important the Castaway Cay. I'm surprised Disney doesn't have a helicopter pad like other lines.

when we did the pc cruise we never got docked.

I neither got or expected anything back, :confused3 what can they do???
They cant control the weather.

It is gutting but there you go.

Are there some months where this is more likely to happen than others? I mean I know a medical emergency can happen any time of the year but, what I'm asking is whether there are some months that the weather is more severe and this is likely to happen than in other months. We are sailing May 2012 and I'm wondering if we should maybe change the date to a time when the weather is more likely to be calm. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question :confused3 I'm new to cruising and all my girls have been talking about is CC I'd hate for them to be disappointed. Thanks.

I'm just going to give a different perspective: CC is great, but it's really just a beach. You don't get any cultural experiences or activities like on every other island. We loved all 4 Western stops this past January, but if forced to rank them, I'd have to put CC last. If you are a huge beach person, I completely understand the disappointment, but the other islands all have great beaches too..

Are there some months where this is more likely to happen than others? I mean I know a medical emergency can happen any time of the year but, what I'm asking is whether there are some months that the weather is more severe and this is likely to happen than in other months. We are sailing May 2012 and I'm wondering if we should maybe change the date to a time when the weather is more likely to be calm. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question :confused3 I'm new to cruising and all my girls have been talking about is CC I'd hate for them to be disappointed. Thanks.
May should be fine. The colder months (like Dec. to Feb.) tend to have the most missed dockings.

CC was by far our favorite!! You could look at like it is just a beach, but IMO i strongly disagree. This was by far my kids, husbands, grandparents and my favorite part of the trip! Our kids had smiles on their faces the entire day!! It is amazingly beautiful and so much culture. The food was great, lots of great photo ops, and lots of great memories were made that day! We liked going to the islands but kids really just wanted to go back on the ship. We spent most of the time on the ferry and in a taxi to the beach. Our kids are 8,7,5,2 so we didnt have to many options for excursions. We sailed 3/12/11 on the Magic to Eastern Caribbean. We are looking into the "Dream" 5 day just because it stops at CC 2 days.

Hope you are able to dock there next MAY 2012!:banana:

It's unfortunate that CC was missed- on this voyage and others. I know I would be disappointed too.

I am more concerned about the people effected by a medical situation that serious enough that required the ship to make a diversion. I am sure it's not a choice the Captain would take lightly.

I pray those effected are okay.

I know the cost of air ambulances are EXPENSIVE. That's why I am happy I got trip insurance that allows $500,000 for emergency medical evacuation.

We just got off the 7 night Eastern that had to divert twice for medical emergencies and did not get to dock at CC. First, let me say I'm glad the people got the medical attention they needed, I'm a nurse and I get it. But that does not help with the disappointed feeling my family has because of the missed day at CC. I don't expect DCL to reimburse anything other than port fees and missed excursions. But, has anyone gotten a discount on a future cruise or something similiar because of the missed CC? Maybe we could try a double dip and get a better shot at docking on the island.

Out of 5 cruises that would have gone to CC - we have made it only once. We have never recieved any compensation (I don't even remember port fees being reimbursed) This past January on the PC cruise - we had rented a cabana and that was really sad to miss however, I know things can happen and do. They took us to Aruba early. We just enjoyed the day at sea. It was beautiful but the winds were to strong to dock.

I felt for the CMs as this would be the last time a lot of them would get to CC as it was on the Wonder.

We just got off the 7 night Eastern that had to divert twice for medical emergencies and did not get to dock at CC. First, let me say I'm glad the people got the medical attention they needed, I'm a nurse and I get it. But that does not help with the disappointed feeling my family has because of the missed day at CC. I don't expect DCL to reimburse anything other than port fees and missed excursions. But, has anyone gotten a discount on a future cruise or something similiar because of the missed CC? Maybe we could try a double dip and get a better shot at docking on the island.

I am so sorry that you missed Castaway Cay. I know that my husband would not mind, since he likes itineraries with more sea days, but I sure would! I doubt that there would be a discount since it is in the fine print that getting there is not a guarantee. I hope you still had some wonderful times on your cruise.

I'm just going to give a different perspective: CC is great, but it's really just a beach. You don't get any cultural experiences or activities like on every other island. We loved all 4 Western stops this past January, but if forced to rank them, I'd have to put CC last. If you are a huge beach person, I completely understand the disappointment, but the other islands all have great beaches too..

As long as it's not the beaches in Mexico. Those sellers drove us crazy! At least on CC - it's private. Which makes it so much more enjoyable. My DD hated that woman with little girls would come and stand by us with their hair braid beads, the little boys selling gum, or the men googling at us selling their ware. CC is so much more relaxing :cloud9: She felt very safe.

I would be bummed if I missed CC. Luckily, never have.

As cold as it may sound, I have to say I am surprised that they divert for medical emergencies. I understand with planes, because you can land quickly in most cases. But, if someone is that sick, how can they get to help in time on a ship? Even going full speed you are still hours from anywhere in most cases.

I always figured you were on your own if you had a serious emergency at sea. The medical crew can do whatever they can, and you can get off at the next port and try and get to a hospital there. Or, get a medical evac to your home country. But, diverting the entire ship??? I'm actually surprised they do it.

To be hoest,,,,,,yes your comment does sound very cold, especailly if it was someone from your family!

AKK

I totally agree:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We have been on 4 cruises with DCL and have been on CC 2 times...
I would actually perfer to take a cruise where we dont stop at CC, once is fine, more than that....it really is just another beach.:scared1:

What I'm saying is, if someone in my family had a medical emergency, I would have expected one of the following outcomes:

1) It was so serious nothing much could be done on board and they didn't make it, which is a risk with cruising.

2) It was serious, so the onboard medical staff stabilized the person and then we got off at the next port and sought medical care either at a local hospital or by medical evacuation.

3) It wasn't that serious, so onboard medical staff was able to handle things until we returned to the home port.

I am trying to think of what kind of emergency is so serious that the person had to be taken back to a port, but not so serious that they couldn't wait the several hours it would take to do so via ship.

What I'm saying is, if someone in my family had a medical emergency, I would have expected one of the following outcomes:

1) It was so serious nothing much could be done on board and they didn't make it, which is a risk with cruising.

2) It was serious, so the onboard medical staff stabilized the person and then we got off at the next port and sought medical care either at a local hospital or by medical evacuation.

3) It wasn't that serious, so onboard medical staff was able to handle things until we returned to the home port.

I am trying to think of what kind of emergency is so serious that the person had to be taken back to a port, but not so serious that they couldn't wait the several hours it would take to do so via ship.

heart attack, abnormal heart rhythm, pacemaker malfunction, stroke, surgical abdominal pain, severe allergic reaction, vomiting blood, coughing up blood, systemic infectious syndrome... The list is so long, that I am surprised it does not happen more often..

Actually, I take it back... given that the age of passengers is typically younger and that no infants are allowed on board (I think), it is probably rare.

In this case you would have been talking a couple of days not a couple of hours. We were on our sea day between St. Thomas and Castaway Cay. Getting to Castaway Cay isn't going to get you to medical care. You would still need to have a helicopter evacuation. From the rumors we heard it was a galbladder emergency. They can't do surgery on the ship. They could stabilize and get him somewhere that they could do surgery. So for that evacuation it was 2 hours to divert and call it another 2 hours to get helicpoter and then to a hospital. We were still 20 hours away from CC when the decision was made to divert and then another 2 hours probably to get to medical attention. The difference of 12-24 hours here could be the difference in life and death.

Or first evacuation we were less than an hour away from St. Thomas. Our next Port Stop was CC 40+ hours later. 1 hour to turn around or 36 hours to get to a helicopter evacuation of another couple of hours.

I'm not going to question the doctor's or the captain. A few hours could definately make a difference and being kept stable for 4-6 hours or being kept stable for 40 hours are entirely different things.

And I am sure that I wouldn't want to see that medical bill. I'm sure you are charged for diverting the ship, port charges where we weren't expected to stop, medical evacutation, treatment etc.

And as a dissenting opinion, I personally thought they added a lot of wonderful activities on our missed CC day. Yes the pools were closed that morning, so was the track outside. They were closed because we were still trying to make it to CC and the weather was so bad they could not safely be open. I personally don't think we would have been able to dock at CC that day due to the weather even if we hadn't had the medical evacuations. I'm pretty sure the Dream couldn't dock the next day.

I would love to go to CC someday. Our next cruise is likely out of Galveston so that won't happen. Because of where I want to go, we might not make it to CC for another 10-20 years if ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter