• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We LOVE DCL - Will RCCL disappoint us?

Zitofamily

Mouseketeer
Hello! I haven't been on this board for a long time. But I do remember all the great advice I have received here in the past, so I am back to seek some more help from all you wonderful DISers.

We have traveled on the Magic twice, and have loved every minute of both trips. We would like to take another cruise this October 2006 and we are *gasp* thinking of trying RCCL Mariner of the Seas, this time. :scared1:

Are we crazy? Will we be disappointed? More importantly, will our kids be disappointed in the Children's program on RCCL compared to what they are used to on the Magic? :confused: We wouldn't even consider doing this except that the DCL prices have gotten so high we have to at least give some consideration to another cruise line.

If you have traveled on RCCL's, Mariner of the Seas or Freedom of the Seas, and can tell us how the kids clubs compare to DCL, we would be so grateful. :worship: Our kids will be 7 and 11 when we sail.

Thanks so much!

We went on the Mariner almost 2 years ago and LOVED it!! I would say it's not any better or worse than the Magic, just different. IMO, there are less activities going on during the day but there is much more to do on your own. Rock climbing, miniature golf, ice skating, etc. And don't miss the ice skating show - it is awesome. We saw it twice!! They also have parades at night which are also fantastic. The kids should like both of these too.

We don't have any kids but I have heard the kids program is quite good.

Dawn and Rob, thank you so much for your response. :flower3:

The RCCL ship sounds great and the activities fun, but our kids loved the Disney kids programs so much and I felt they were so well taken care of that I am a little nervous about a change. If we were traveling without kids I wouldn't be so concerned about trying something new.

I hope to hear from someone that has experience with the kids clubs on both ships, but in the meantime, thank you again for sharing the experience you had with RCCL. Your input is appreciated and helpful!

If you do a search on this board using the advanced search function enter "rccl kids." You will come up with three other threads that have information about their kid's clubs. Here's the link in case it will work. It usually doesn't work for the link but if you do it on your own you will find them too. :) http://www.disboards.com/search.php?searchid=2203606

We are taking RCCL Mariner of The Seas on Spring Break. We also have been on the Magic two times but the price difference between RCCL and DCL was too great. We paid $2000.00 less and got a balcony room versus a Cat9 on DCL.

We have been on both. My son was 11 when we were on dcl and he enjoyed the lab. He had sign out privileges, hooked up with some boys his age and they had a great time. We even, through pure luck, ended up on some excurions with these boys and their families. But at times he would get bored, as he thought some of the activities were too kiddy and believe it or not, he got tired of the video games!

When he was 12 we were on the Mariner. He was in the tween activities there and he thoroughly enjoyed them, even more so than the dcl activities as they were more geared for his age/interests. He met his friends and hung out in tween area, they went for food in the 24 hour cafeteria, they would go up to the evening events on deck, they were busy with night activities in the tween area. During the day it wasn't as organized, but they would do mini golf, roller blading, rock wall, pools, basketball, or just hang out in the tween area. He was busy all the time and still corresponds with some of the boys.

Our neighbors were on the mariner at the same time and they had their 5 and 6 year old grandkids with them. The kids loved the kids activities and wanted to be there as much as they could. The kids area has indoor and outdoor areas that the kids liked which I think is neat. They seemed to have a lot for them to do. One night they came to dinner dressed in pirate hats and patches and sang songs for us. They would be up in the buffet in the afternoons for snacks. I think the rcl clubs do not offer giving the kids dinner and there may be a charge after a certain time in the evening.

Hope that helps. :flower:

We seriously thought about rccl. but after we watched out videos and looked at our pix, we just had to go with disney. Im sure youll have a great time either way, obviously here we are all gonna be bias toward dcl. We just did not want to be in port somewhere and see the magic and hear her ships horn and not be aboard. jmho

I like them both. If money were equal or not a factor, I would pick Disney, but... You lose the magic of Disney if you go on Royal. The childrens program is not as varied, but still my DS enjoyed it. There are more choices food wise on Royal than Disney in the dining room. Royal has all the extras that your kids and maybe you would enjoy: rock climbing, ice skating, mini-golf. I would give Royal or another line a try.

Anyone with experience on RCCL Jewel of the Seas? DH's parents are taking our family on that ship this April. How's it compared to Disney?

We have cruised DCL twice and loved it both times. But, we have heard that RCCL could be alot less expensive. We are thinking of cruising RCCL next.. we aren't sure yet.
Does anyone know if RCCL has a sail away party like DCL?
Thanks..

Let me add my opinion.

We have done DCL 3, 4 and 7 day cruises. Last year we did the Mariner 7 day cruise and we really missed Disney! We had a fine time on RCCL but it wasn't anywhere near as great as Disney.

We found that the ice skating, rock wall, mini golf, etc were nto things our family really needed on a cruise ship. It was really hard to do the rock wall especially, they were only open for very short and inconvenient blocks of time and it was next to impossible to get there and do it.

I also found the kids club for the younger kids was a real pain in the neck schedule wise. They opened and closed thru out the day as opposed to just staying open like DCL. It felt like every time we dropped them off, we had to turn around and pick them back up. DS really did enjoy the program though, especially the late night game called ga-ga ball that they play every night. This is during an after hours time that you have to pay for though. I think you had to pay past 10pm something like $5 per hour. DD did really, really enjoy the teen program and is reluctant to go on Disney because she thinks it won't be as good but we remind her she's never been in the teen program on disney, only the lab and the club. This time she's old enough for the stack

We didn't like the dining room, our server, or the food. We ended up in the buffet all but 2 nights. That's something we've never ever done on Disney, we always ate in the dining room!

The night time entertainment left alot to be desired as well. We liked the offerings and set up on DCL much better.

I'm making it sound liek we had a horrible time on RCCL and we certainly didn't. We had a wonderful time! I would do it again if it was free. But the only cruise I'll ever choose and pay for again is Disney. It was that much of difference. We really, really prefer DCL.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post and I'll try to answer.

We did the Navigator in November, as a couple. There were some things I really liked about RCCL, but there was enough we didn't like that we canceled our Freedom booking for this year. We didn't feel RCCL would be a good fit for our family group.

Among the things we didn't like were the food and the lack of available children's items. I overheard several parents complain that they ditched the dining room for the buffet, but were still having trouble finding dinner foods for their kids. The hamburgers and hotdogs were less than appetizing and they only had chicken fingers the first day. The buffet wasn't always open either and the room service menu is extremely limited. With kids, this would be a problem for us.

The kids clubs did look nice, but there was never more than 2-3 kids in them when we'd walk by. We never saw kids out doing activities as a group, like on DCL. There were almost 250 kids on the ship though. :confused3

Next was the smoking. While better at the pool areas, it was worse everywhere else, as was the drinking.

Finally was Labaadee, their private island. At Labaadee you'll get to pay a tip to obtain a beach chair and you'll also get to pay so your kids can use the playground. :rolleyes: You could let the kids swim in the ocean, but it was filled with jellies AND I got amoebic dysentery while snorkeling there. If you're wondering, you get that from swimming through sewage. :crazy2: It is no CC!

I wouldn't be totally against doing another RCCL with a adult group though, as long as Labaadee wasn't on the itinerary. ::yes::

Thank you so much to all of you that have taken the time to respond to my questions about RCCL vs. DCL. We really do love DCL, have never been disappointed on our previous trips (even one shortened by Hurricane Jeanne), and are very reluctant to try something new and unknown.

DH is struggling with the allure of the lower prices on RCCL but we are still desiring the best cruise experience for our family and keeping in mind the old adage of, "you get what you pay for."

Anyway, it has especially helpful to hear from those of you that have been on both ships. It is so helpful to hear your experiences, both positive and negative. Thank you again!

We haven't made up our minds entirely yet, so keep the comments coming. We are still listening intently to what you all have to say.

Zitofamily said:
DH is struggling with the allure of the lower prices on RCCL but we are still desiring the best cruise experience for our family and keeping in mind the old adage of, "you get what you pay for."
If price is the deciding factor, RCL will win. We did have a wonderful time and I'm sure you will too.

You asked if you would be disappointed, and I have to answer that we were without a doubt disappointed in RCCL as compared to DCL. If asked which we prefer, I'd have to say DCL. However, if you can't swing the DCL prices, I'm sure you'll have a great time on RCCL.

If you wanted to know anything specific, please post, I'd be glad to answer. We traveled with kids ages 12, 12, 8, & 7 so we used the teen program and the kids program.

Ask youself how you would feel if you were in port with the magic and heard her when you wish upon a star horn. We know we would have been really bummed.

Zitofamily said:
Thank you so much to all of you that have taken the time to respond to my questions about RCCL vs. DCL. We really do love DCL, have never been disappointed on our previous trips (even one shortened by Hurricane Jeanne), and are very reluctant to try something new and unknown.

Anyway, it has especially helpful to hear from those of you that have been on both ships. It is so helpful to hear your experiences, both positive and negative. Thank you again!

We haven't made up our minds entirely yet, so keep the comments coming. We are still listening intently to what you all have to say.

We are leaving Thursday morning to go on a RCCL Cruise . short one 4 night.
We have done 10 cruises on Disney and have never Cruised on another line.
But We decide to try this trip. but I dont Really care as long as I can sit by the pool for 4 days... :rotfl2: If I have to go See a show I will ...and Well Just Feed Me it should be fine , we are Going to WDW after the Cruise.. For a little Disney Magic... :teeth:

Vacations are what U make them... ::yes::

I've been struggling with the same decision. From reading boards at cruise critic and some other sites, it seems like Mariner of the Seas is very nice, especially with people who have kids over the age of 7.

My family and I have been on DCL twice and we love it. But the price difference between DCL and RCC is unbelieveable. We are considering very strongly on going on the Voyager of the seas 9 nights out of Bayonne. Has anyone ever been on the Voyager? How does it compare to the Mariner? We live in NJ so we wouldn't even need to travel and save money that way also. Any suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We went on Voyager last year for a 5 day (it was a special cruise normally they only do 7 day +). It is basically the same ship as the Mariner. We had a great time and I highly recommend it.

We just got off our first Disney cruise on the Wonder. I thought it was wonderful, esp. for the kids. But my husband preferred Voyager for the ship itself and for Adult activities. I would have to agree. We didn't have a child with us on the Voyager so I can't tell you how it is with kids.

We've sailed on DCL and on Mariner of the Seas. We are a family of four...DD is 16 and DS is 3. We ALL prefer DCL, but enjoyed a nice trip (western, 7 night) on Mariner, as well.

Briefly, Mariner is a larger, newer ship with more "bells and whistles", like a large fitness center, putting greens, rock wall and (most notable) ice rink. It has two very good specialty restaurants (Chops and Portifino), as well as Ben & Jerry's and Johnny Rockets. It has inside staterooms with windows overlooking the Promenade...good value and doesn't feel so closed like a traditional inside room. Those things are all positives.

The negatives are that the main dining room food is not very good (bloody chicken two nights!) and the ship's shows are almost comical (the ice show is the only good show on board.) The staff is friendly, but just not as enthusiastic as the DCL staff. There are more older (70+) cruisers who act surprised and irratated to see children on board. There are no split bathrooms. You have to walk through a very loud arcade to drop the kids at children's programming. The drinking age is 18, so if you sail during school breaks, you will see LOTS of drunk teens running EVERYWHERE.

Spa on both ships is nice, with similar treatments at similar prices. And ports are similar, with the exception of Castaway Cay, of course. Embarkation is a breeze with both, but debarkation is a little smoother with DCL.

Just MHO, please take it as such. You can have a nice trip with either line, and if sailing Mariner saves you $$$, it may be your best bet. Just don't expect Pixie Dust :wizard: and you won't be dissappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter