We have pre-check, niece doesn't

And herein lies (part of) the problem.

I drink a LOT of water. That said, I cannot stand paying the "Outrageous" prices of Bottled water. Upwards of $3.00 for a 20 ounce bottle (not just at airports though... many other places too.) So I like to bring a bottle of water with me... Oh but wait.... I cannot take it through the security. Instead I have to ditch it and BUY one on the other side. Really?

So how much Sun Screen do I bring? 3 Ounces is NOT enough for a week long trip. Oh, wait... I can buy it at the destination. (usually tourist areas so it's more expensive too.) Then when we leave.... I have to throw the excess away. Same could be said about many other items. (Shampoo, body wash, mouth wash, bug spray, on and on and on...)

It's just more hassle (for me) then it's worth. When I travel alone (like for work) it's much easier. I don't have allergies, and I will use the hotel's soaps/shampoo and the like, but with the family? Not happening. Not to mention that my wife doesn't like to fly anyway.

It is fine, maybe even encouraged, to bring empty bottles through security to be filled at drinking fountains on the other side.

It is fine, maybe even encouraged, to bring empty bottles through security to be filled at drinking fountains on the other side.
No doubt... I just used this as an example of the MANY reasons I don't like to fly any more. It's not the actual flight.... it's everything else.

To that end, I do have a "Filter" bottle I bought from Amazon. I have become sensitive to off flavors (too much chlorine, too much "Dirt", and yes, I can taste it, or other things). I actually use my filter bottle at Disney too. We also have a local amusement park (Knoebels) which we love, but the water there is HORRIBLE, so I bring my bottle there too.

And herein lies (part of) the problem.

I drink a LOT of water. That said, I cannot stand paying the "Outrageous" prices of Bottled water. Upwards of $3.00 for a 20 ounce bottle (not just at airports though... many other places too.) So I like to bring a bottle of water with me... Oh but wait.... I cannot take it through the security. Instead I have to ditch it and BUY one on the other side. Really?

So how much Sun Screen do I bring? 3 Ounces is NOT enough for a week long trip. Oh, wait... I can buy it at the destination. (usually tourist areas so it's more expensive too.) Then when we leave.... I have to throw the excess away. Same could be said about many other items. (Shampoo, body wash, mouth wash, bug spray, on and on and on...)

It's just more hassle (for me) then it's worth. When I travel alone (like for work) it's much easier. I don't have allergies, and I will use the hotel's soaps/shampoo and the like, but with the family? Not happening. Not to mention that my wife doesn't like to fly anyway.

Are you doing carryon only? If so how many people are with you? You each get a baggie. And you can put what you want in checked bags. Get some 100ml empty bottles and decant sunscreen. When the three of us are traveling I tend to have an entire 311 baggie filled with decanted sunscreen, along with a full size bottle or two in checked bags. If I'm doing carryon only I tend to be renting a car so I just go get sunscreen.

The 311 sunscreen is just to get us through the initial part of the trip until we get our heckled bags and/it can run to publix. The rest of the baggies hold my very adequate 100ml bottles of shampoo (even when my thick hair was to my waist) and small tube of toothpaste and my mascara. And whatever my guys need.

Water...well we are lucky enough that our home airport made a deal with the city that they don't allow airport pricing from any vendor that has a location outside of the airport. So hitting a Starbucks inside yields Fiji or Arctic water for the normal price outside the airport. Drink a bunch of water on the way to the airport, recycle the empty bottle as I get to the line, snag my latte and giant bottle of Fiji once through the line. No issues. It's sticker shock leaving from other airports, but I've budgeted for food on travel days, so oh well.

You obviously live close enough that you can drive. If you lived further away you would realize that it's either deal with what you feel are hassles or not go. If you want to go enough you'd realize that these are just things to work out, not hassles.

You obviously live close enough that you can drive. If you lived further away you would realize that it's either deal with what you feel are hassles or not go. If you want to go enough you'd realize that these are just things to work out, not hassles.
Depends on how you define "Close enough".

Am I crossing an "Ocean" ? No, but I do travel 1100+ miles.

Ironically, the one time my DW and Flew, it took almost as long to fly from NE PA to Orlando with the early arrival to get parked in Long term parking, then to get through check-in. Then throw in the delayed flight and other issues... Topping off that we had to drive 100 Miles to get to the airport so that was done the night before and we stay at a hotel first... Add it all up and time-wise, it was almost quicker to drive. Now you throw in the cost of the travel (Hotel, Parking, Tickets, etc...) and we do the "No Frills" (Coach, long term parking, basic hotel, etc..) and it was most definitely cheaper to DRIVE. In all fairness, we have our camper with us, so that saves on "Hotels" on the trip but it sucks even more gas. Still it's cheaper and CERTAINLY not as many hassles. PLUS (because we have the camper, our baggage limit is MUCH more. No more (virtually) souvenir limits. Can bring more clothes for the weather, plus we can bring our own food and save money there too.

That saddest part for me is that I enjoy flying, or at least I used to. Maybe I'll do like my father did and just get my private pilot's license. The down side there is that it's definitely NOT cheaper going that route. More enjoyable though. :D

I have a free precheck with my cc, but haven't bothered getting it, b/c ds will have to go in a separate line anyway so it won't save me any time at all.... he's well over 12

just curious- which credit card? I am going to be getting the pre-check for us in the near future- maybe we can save some money if it is a credit card we already have!

just curious- which credit card? I am going to be getting the pre-check for us in the near future- maybe we can save some money if it is a credit card we already have!

In general, it's the ones with a $450 annual fee- there's a few of them out there with the major companies. But let me tell you, it is worth every penny and much more. They also give you access to airport lounges all over the world, which some peace and quiet before your flight is always priceless!!

In general, it's the ones with a $450 annual fee- there's a few of them out there with the major companies. But let me tell you, it is worth every penny and much more. They also give you access to airport lounges all over the world, which some peace and quiet before your flight is always priceless!!
Yeah but right before our last trip, the lounges in our airport switched to allow only those on that airline in,not general priority pass membership..... we only had access to an Amex lounge and they changed the rules according to stuff I read on FT--- Chase Sapphire reserve provides the global entry etc for free with the card

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter