We have never camped at Disney... biggest things we need to know?

Now, now, everyone needs to hush up about the Fort. It's hard enough to get ressies as it is. And it's really not all that great...really. :rolleyes1

Now, now, everyone needs to hush up about the Fort. It's hard enough to get ressies as it is. And it's really not all that great...really. :rolleyes1

:lmao: No worries about me booking a site unless it is a throwaway for some reason lol. Still not sure why someone would book any onsite room of any type as a throwaway but that is just me lol.

:lmao: No worries about me booking a site unless it is a throwaway for some reason lol. Still not sure why someone would book any onsite room of any type as a throwaway but that is just me lol.

With our length, we only book Premium (which you'd be nuts to book as a throwaway), and I still have to book a year or more out!

With our length, we only book Premium (which you'd be nuts to book as a throwaway), and I still have to book a year or more out!

I believe we booked our site in 08 about 16 months out just to be safe. I am a planner and I am starting to play my next trip before I have even taken my current trip lol. I already have our 2015 Disney cruise/Disney trip planned and all deposits for the cruise paid lol. The kids and I are also park commandos we are at the parks from opening till close and will hop back and forth a number of times each day.

We have reservations for POR in July. We have always tent camped here in CT, but are looking into buying a camper. Although it seems like a no brainer to drive down and camp, and will save us over $1200 than staying in a hotel, I am wondering what the downsides might be. Hubby assures me there will be A/C which is my only concern:rotfl2: I think the kids will love the change, and it will be something new and exciting. Discuss.... ;)

I'm confused. Are you wondering if the hotels have a/c or if you camp you'll have a/c? If you have never stayed at a Disney Resort , other than the campground, you should try it. Lots of choices and we've never stayed at a 'bad' one! I wouldn't stay at a value resort again but they are just too big for my liking and if you're at Caribbean beach resort make sure you're not in the furthest building away from everything. Trinidad South, last building - cute pirate room, so inconvenient. Our faves: POR, WLV, AKL, BC.

Regarding the debate as to whether one prefers the Fort to hotel, to each his own. If I can't stay at the Fort, we don't go period. During our last trip we visited family members at Port Orleans - that room was so tiny I would have eaten my young by the end of a week!
So back to the OP - you asked what the downsides might be. You already know you like camping so that's established. Not sure about the saving money part. Have you taken into consideration the added costs of fuel and staying overnight on your trip? If your time is limited, you will be losing time at WDW by driving. We have done the trip from MA a couple of times in an RV and it is a long drive, especially with children. On one trip we planned and planned to stick to our budget - we blew an engine in GA, ended up doling out the cost for towing, new engine, car rental to WDW, staying in resort accommodations and paying for all meals while it was being repaired; the most expensive trip ever! Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out that along with any camper come a mutitude of added expenses, both planned and unplanned.
That being said, we have yet to find the downside to the Fort. We love having all of our own "things" with us in the RV, and our own "yard" to spread out in. It may be a bit longer walk to get to the pool depending on where your site is (but darn, we walked forever at PO just to get to the lobby area). We don't miss a hot tub or room service. Soaking in a pot of boiling human stew in 90 degree heat has never been attractive to us, and we keep the RV stocked with nice wine, and shrimp cocktail to enjoy outside during downtime. We can always get take-out from Trails End if we want. Really, if you like the lifestyle that camping offers, you will enjoy the Fort (and a new camper :banana:).

Dicneyhabs, Ok, you HAVE stayed there. You were likely in Loop 900, give or take a 100. I'm not sure if they had premium sites then, but any of those in that area would be premium today, meaning more concrete, higher prices, and no coquina. The Fort is not for everybody, and I'm sorry you aren't among the devotees. The paddle boats are gone, but they have some runabouts in Bay Lake for rent, and some canoes for use in the Meadows lake and canals. No train or trams, just busses and a daily Segway Tour (extra cost). Come check us out on a day visit. It's relaxing and a good home port for Park Hopping. :hyper:

Dicneyhabs, Ok, you HAVE stayed there. You were likely in Loop 900, give or take a 100. I'm not sure if they had premium sites then, but any of those in that area would be premium today, meaning more concrete, higher prices, and no coquina. The Fort is not for everybody, and I'm sorry you aren't among the devotees. The paddle boats are gone, but they have some runabouts in Bay Lake for rent, and some canoes for use in the Meadows lake and canals. No train or trams, just busses and a daily Segway Tour (extra cost). Come check us out on a day visit. It's relaxing and a good home port for Park Hopping. :hyper:

I will say when we go in Dec (our usual time to visit the world) we do love walking through the Fort and seeing the sites decked out in holidays trim that we do enjoy. Yes I believe we were in either 800 or 900 loop 900 seems more likeley looking at the pictures of the trip. The comfort station was almost directly behind our concrete home lol. The concrete pad was quite large on our site and all but the awning for the trailer was on the concrete. The posts for the awning were off the concrete and on the grass. We were one of the first sites in off the main road/bus route and could see Meadows and the bus stop from our site easily. I will be back down in Sept this year for my DDs 18th b day first week of Sept so if you are around I would be happy to stop by and say hello.

...we keep the RV stocked with nice wine, and shrimp cocktail to enjoy outside during downtime. We can always get take-out from Trails End if we want. Really, if you like the lifestyle that camping offers, you will enjoy the Fort (and a new camper :banana:).

If I contribute to the happy hour can I join you? Or better yet, when we finally make it back -- with our new fifth wheel -- you can join us. I'll supply white wine, cheese, crackers and shrimp cocktail. Just bring a bottle of red if you don't like white:goodvibes

If I contribute to the happy hour can I join you? Or better yet, when we finally make it back -- with our new fifth wheel -- you can join us. I'll supply white wine, cheese, crackers and shrimp cocktail. Just bring a bottle of red if you don't like white:goodvibes

All "Happy Campers" welcome, the more the merrier! Let me know the next time you are back.

Just finished packing up (wine all stocked), rig all clean and we are ready to roll tomorrow morning! First trip since November and soooo looking forward to it.
Flower and Garden Festival, Flower Power Concert, here we come! :hippie:

Sorry to be missing Bamaed and the group, but I'll report in.

I will say when we go in Dec (our usual time to visit the world) we do love walking through the Fort and seeing the sites decked out in holidays trim that we do enjoy. Yes I believe we were in either 800 or 900 loop 900 seems more likeley looking at the pictures of the trip. The comfort station was almost directly behind our concrete home lol. The concrete pad was quite large on our site and all but the awning for the trailer was on the concrete. The posts for the awning were off the concrete and on the grass. We were one of the first sites in off the main road/bus route and could see Meadows and the bus stop from our site easily. I will be back down in Sept this year for my DDs 18th b day first week of Sept so if you are around I would be happy to stop by and say hello.

We were in 900 a couple years ago in the summer; a couple site back from the CS. We won't be there in Sept, but we are mostly a recurring Christmas/New years visitor. Maybe someday our paths will cross, after all, we met Ed last Spring on a rare Spring break trip.

We were in 900 a couple years ago in the summer; a couple site back from the CS. We won't be there in Sept, but we are mostly a recurring Christmas/New years visitor. Maybe someday our paths will cross, after all, we met Ed last Spring on a rare Spring break trip.

We are annual Dec visitors to WDW this is a special B day trip for my oldest DD as she turns 18 in Sept so we are going just her and I and her best friend to celebrate her B Day. I am very proud of her I offered mexico bahamas dominican and cuba and she said but dad what about Disney. So proud of my little er big girl lol.

:offtopic: Ken, nice pickup yesterday in Auburn hiring Bruce Pearl as the Men's BB coach. He's a proven good coach and Auburn's program has nowhere to go but up.

I jumped off the Coach Anthony Grant bandwagon at Bama a while back. He's on his last legs and has promised that the freshman and transfers that will be coming in for next season will improve the team. I hate his "small ball" offensive strategy where the guards are the featured scorers. When you have a 7-footer running out to the 3-point line to set a pick for a guard, something is wrong. I believe the centers and forwards should be the leading scorers, not guards. But nobody asked me.

Okay, sorry - back to our current topic. :rolleyes1

Bama Ed

The family and I are going to be there 12-6 through 12-13. Hope to be as fun as last December.

I didn't see this and I was wondering. Like the original poster we will be getting a travel trailer this year and are thinking of Disney camping (at least I am). Obviously you can get park tickets for the same price anywhere. The question is meal plan bonus when they offer it at other resorts in their deals???

I've enjoyed reading this thread. It makes me even MORE excited to begin our stays at the campgrounds =) we've visited a few times as resort guests, and honestly it is because of that we finally bought our trailer =)

I didn't see this and I was wondering. Like the original poster we will be getting a travel trailer this year and are thinking of Disney camping (at least I am). Obviously you can get park tickets for the same price anywhere. The question is meal plan bonus when they offer it at other resorts in their deals???

There is NO free dining at the campsites. You can purchase the dining plan for the campsites.

The family and I are going to be there 12-6 through 12-13. Hope to be as fun as last December.

We will be at the Fort from Dec 1-15:banana:, will have the margarita maker and cooler ready to go :cool1: After we arrive I'll post the site number and stop in for a chat if you can find us at the camper!:yay::yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter