We have never camped at Disney... biggest things we need to know?

mavslab

Mouseketeer
We have reservations for POR in July. We have always tent camped here in CT, but are looking into buying a camper. Although it seems like a no brainer to drive down and camp, and will save us over $1200 than staying in a hotel, I am wondering what the downsides might be.

Hubby assures me there will be A/C which is my only concern:rotfl2:

I think the kids will love the change, and it will be something new and exciting.

Discuss.... ;)

The biggest thing will be the internal bus system to get around within the resort. It is a large area and needs this one nice thing though is the boat to MK. The pools if you and the family swim are not quite up to the pools at even the value resorts IMHO.

The best way to get around the campground is buy renting or bringing your own golf cart. I loved it last December. So much so I recently bought one and plan on bringing it this December when we return. Having the freedom to come and go by cart is wonderful. Loved taking it down to the pier at night to watch the fireworks, when we weren't at the park.

The biggest thing you need to know is be prepared to never want to do WDW any other way. Once you camp at Fort Wilderness you'll spend the rest of your life trying to plan another trip back (or you'll be on another trip back) and any other campground won't hold a candle to the Fort.

Welcome to our shared addiction. It's a wonderful kind of madness.:rotfl:

We have reservations for POR in July. We have always tent camped here in CT, but are looking into buying a camper. Although it seems like a no brainer to drive down and camp, and will save us over $1200 than staying in a hotel, I am wondering what the downsides might be.

Hubby assures me there will be A/C which is my only concern:rotfl2:

I think the kids will love the change, and it will be something new and exciting.

Discuss.... ;)

Downsides might be a longer trip (towing is slower than driving without a trailer by 5-10 mph. Also the camper will reduce your miles per gallon.

The ups far outweight the downs though. I would suggest visiting the Fort late one nice afternoon when you are on your POR visit. Come over about 4pm and walk some of the loops and strike up a conversation with campers of a site you like. Campers generally like to talk about their trailers or RV, tow vehicles, golf carts, etc. What type of trailer you want will determine where to go. If you want a popup, for example walk loop 1500 near the pool.

Get a takeout dinner at Trails End (a 10-piece fried chicken with two sides is $25). They will supply disposable plates, flatware, and there are picnic tables on the side porch facing the beach overlooking the playground. Stay for the campfire/singalong (fires lit at 730pm, Chip & Dale start the singalong at 8pm, movie rolls about 840pm). A simple s'mores kit is sold for about $10 at the Conestoga Wagon concession stand which is enough for about 4 people.

About all you can't do as a day visitor is use the pools. You can also rent a golf cart for your day visit but they only rent on a daily basis. Also, we get a long just fine without a golf cart at the Fort. We walk, bike, or take the internal busses. To each his own there.

The trading posts are kitchy camper stuff. Bet they don't sell a POR spare tire cover at the POR gift shops.

So come over one day and give the Fort a test drive.

Bama Ed

The trading posts are kitchy camper stuff. Bet they don't sell a POR spare tire cover at the POR gift shops.

Bama Ed

THEYRE BACK?! Just when we no longer have an RV with a spare tire on the back! :sad:

What is POR?

walker,

I took it to mean Port Orleans which is just around the corner from the Fort. They have two resorts - PO French Quarter and PO Riverside (it was previously named Dixie Landings).

Ed

The biggest thing will be the internal bus system to get around within the resort. It is a large area and needs this one nice thing though is the boat to MK. The pools if you and the family swim are not quite up to the pools at even the value resorts IMHO.
Oh that's a bummer - what is it about it that you don't care for?

Welcome to our shared addiction. It's a wonderful kind of madness.:rotfl:
Oh sheesh my Disney fever runs pretty hot as is, will this make it that much worse? :scratchin

Oh that's a bummer - what is it about it that you don't care for?

Oh sheesh my Disney fever runs pretty hot as is, will this make it that much worse? :scratchin

I enjoy walking around the resort and a peddle boat in the canal. But as for staying there just not a fan of it we have stayed in our old tent trailer and in a cabin. I found the pools temps to be much colder than the pools at the other resorts they are also not themed like the other pools at the other resorts which for us is a big thing for the kids and I. We also prefer to occasionally order room service which is not really an option at FW. We discovered the old boardwalk through the forest in 98 and used to love walking back there but it was neglected and closed not too long after that. Mind you we still head over to FW for smores a campfire and movie. We just do not care to stay at the fort sadly.

The pool was recently refurbished, it's great. As for the temp, they are all the same.

Disneyhabs, Sounds like you have not been to the Fort in a while, and maybe have not stayed there at all. The Fort is a wonderful place to kick back and relax or to enjoy the amenities. You have room to spread out, unlike a room in a hotel. You can chat with your neighbors if you choose or keep to yourselves if you choose. You can wander...on foot, bike, golf cart, or bus...to other parts of the Fort. Use the Marina to get to MK and to other resorts. Walk, bus, or bike to the WL and often see deer or other wild life (safe) along the way. Sit on the beach and see the fireworks from MK and the EWP on your doorstep. From the Outpost, busses take you to any Park and DTD. Although many of us complain about management at the Fort (mostly lack of enforcement of its own rules), it is a wonderful place to vacation.

Don't close me up in a single room, but to each his own. It is the only place my family will stay at WDW (15 years and counting).

Disneyhabs, Sounds like you have not been to the Fort in a while, and maybe have not stayed there at all. The Fort is a wonderful place to kick back and relax or to enjoy the amenities. You have room to spread out, unlike a room in a hotel. You can chat with your neighbors if you choose or keep to yourselves if you choose. You can wander...on foot, bike, golf cart, or bus...to other parts of the Fort. Use the Marina to get to MK and to other resorts. Walk, bus, or bike to the WL and often see deer or other wild life (safe) along the way. Sit on the beach and see the fireworks from MK and the EWP on your doorstep. From the Outpost, busses take you to any Park and DTD. Although many of us complain about management at the Fort (mostly lack of enforcement of its own rules), it is a wonderful place to vacation.

Don't close me up in a single room, but to each his own. It is the only place my family will stay at WDW (15 years and counting).

We were there in Oct of 08 and brought the 4 kids and bikes etc. We went for my sons B day that year and did MNSSHP. I can't remember what loop we were on I do know that we were across from one of the shops and not far from the pool. We had an internal bus stop across the main road from us also.

Just looked at some of the pictures our loop was across from the Meadows Trading Post we had a comfort station almost directly behind our site it was a full hookup site or preffered not sure which.

The pools if you and the family swim are not quite up to the pools at even the value resorts IMHO.

The pool is great, we cannot get our son off the water slide, and there is an area for smaller children too with a splash area and 2 slides.

Kids (and adults) love the fort. We got our first camper this past summer, we had never stayed at the fort, just the resorts. It is great! We ride bikes, swim, take the boat to the MK, watch fireworks from the beach, ride horses.... So much to do.

As for the busses, it depends which loop you are in. We have always stayed in loop 800 or 900, both are premium loops. We walk to the pool, the movies, and the settlement. After 7 trips, we still have never ridden an internal bus.

The pool is great, we cannot get our son off the water slide, and there is an area for smaller children too with a splash area and 2 slides.

Kids (and adults) love the fort. We got our first camper this past summer, we had never stayed at the fort, just the resorts. It is great! We ride bikes, swim, take the boat to the MK, watch fireworks from the beach, ride horses.... So much to do.

As for the busses, it depends which loop you are in. We have always stayed in loop 800 or 900, both are premium loops. We walk to the pool, the movies, and the settlement. After 7 trips, we still have never ridden an internal bus.

Good to know they upgraded the pool. That was one of our biggest drawbacks when we stayed there. I haven't actually been back to FW since 2008 not even to just walk the walking trail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter