We have never been to the boardwalk..

crow11ad

Disney Magic Maker and Tower of Terror Expert!
can you tell what all the things you can do, things that cannot be missed, best stratagies for getting around, and can you rent bikes and ride them around the boardwalk at night?

I'll be honest and say that we made attempts in the past to spend time at the Boardwalk and decided it wasn't worth a special trip and Downtown Disney/West Side/Pleasure Island was much more fun. There are several great restaurants there, so if you're going to take time to head down there, I would eat at one of them - of course, if you're staying there it's a whole nother story. There are, on occasion, street performers, but not always, like jugglers and such - I had a wax hand done there years ago, don't know if they have that anymore, and they do have the bikes for rent to ride around. They have those for rent others places as well, like Ft Wilderness. I don't remember single rider ones, but do know they have the 4 person and 6 person bikes. There are a small handful of shops, but I can't even remember what they were. Nothing like DTD offers. If you haven't toured those great resorts, that's a nice thing to do too. Jellyrolls is there, too, but I think they charge admission to get in.

I agree- the Boardwalk itself is not really an attraction. There are a couple of carnival games. Maybe a couple street performers- but not always. Things that cannot be missed? Nothing.

ESPN is fun if you're a real sports fan, but it's just a restaurant, really.

Don't get me wrong- I love staying in the Boardwalk area. But if you're not staying there, I don't see any reason why you'd make a special trip.

If you are not taking kids and are over 21 then I would suggest Jellyrolls. My dh and I loved the dueling pianos there, and I can't wait until I can go again.

Eating at Spoodles is worth the trip to the Boardwalk. The food is incredible, one of the best restaraunts on property IMHO. And Jellyrolls and Atlantic Dance are more fun than any PI clubs.

Leaving in 19 hours!!!!!!!!!!!

We made a trip over to the boardwalk just to take a look around pick up a couple of corn dogs and hang out. There's really not any places to shop, but as you did mention there are surrey rentals which are pretty cool, and some decent restuarants. More than anything I just loved going at night to take a look at it.. it's absolutely gorgeous!

If you have time, I'd highly recommend taking a short jaunt over to the boardwalk just to check it out.

Dizfreak said:
Eating at Spoodles is worth the trip to the Boardwalk.

We have never been to the boardwalk also!! But on our day at Epcot we are planning on having dinner at Spoodles and checking it out.

I would like to know if Illuminations can be seen from there, or do we have to crosse back to WS?

You can see the high fireworks of Illuminations from a couple places on the boardwalk. At the bridge that leads to World Showcase and also towards the Dance Hall are 2 that I remember. I watched from the Bridge once with a few other people and the other time where were near BC going over the bridge on that side. We were on our bikes and us and another bike group stopped to watch.

I was at the Boardwalk in September and my kids (under 1 and the other was 1 month shy of 3 years) both loved it there. Your kids are older but I can't imagine they wouldn't like it.

If you are staying at the boardwalk or any of the nearby Epcot hotels it is a nice place to relax at night and still feel the magic without being in your hotel room. And you do see the fireworks everynight.

My oldest had her hair wrapped at the boardwalk one night, they have some acts that were there occasionally. Someone was there everynight I was there, either a piano guy, juggler etc. And then on other nights during my stay they have carnival type games, water gun game, basketball, and the one you knock the bottles over with a ball, and the frog flop one, all for prizes. I can't remember the cost but its a similar set-up and feel to the one in Dinoland at AK but a lot smaller. My family played a lot of these games.

There was also the occasional face painter and I think I remember there also being someone that did charactures (I can't spell sorry). We also rented bikes and they have the spot in the basket for the young kids that can't reach the pedals and the kids can ring the bell. Both of mine really loved the bikes.

There is also a pizza place (terrible pizza but we got it twice anyway!), an ice cream/candy shop and a bakery.

There was also a tarot/palm reader there. I didnt' do it but when I was looking at the prices I think I remember she also would do children at a lower rate. Don't remember for sure, but I get weirded out by those things so I wasn't thinking about having my kids do it!

I don't know if its always the same at the Boardwalk since I was only there those 11 days. But I got the impression that it could be different all the time based on who Disney has an agreement with. The beader that did my hair had her own schedule and was there only certain days/times etc.

Most activities started up in the evening btw.

To us, staying at the Poly, we always make a day trip over to the Boardwalk, we pack a small cooler with beer and head to Spoodles, they have the best meatballs sandwiches and pizza in the World. We eat out on the Boardwalk, stroll around the Y&C Club and sometimes go back to Y&C for
lunch.

It sounds like we might have to stop by.... Could be lots of fun...

I'm pretty happy that they don't make the BoardWalk a bigger attraction -- we stay there most of the time, and it's sure great as it is, for us, and if it was a bigger draw, I think it would get too crowded.

we made a special trip there last week as we had never been there

really wasnt worth the trip unless there is a restaurant or bar that you want to see specifically

There are five resorts and two villsa close to the Boardwalk. I think the whole idea behind the Boardwalk was close entertainment for those resorts.

When we stayed at the Swan we loved going to Jellyrolls at night. This piano bar is a nice alternative to PI when PI gets busy. We also ate at the Boardwalk Bakery a couple of mornings. It was nice, especially when we were at the Swan and it was close, however, the only thing we found worth a special trip was Jellyrolls.

Disney's My Goal said:
When we stayed at the Swan we loved going to Jellyrolls at night. This piano bar is a nice alternative to PI when PI gets busy. We also ate at the Boardwalk Bakery a couple of mornings. It was nice, especially when we were at the Swan and it was close, however, the only thing we found worth a special trip was Jellyrolls.

Thats exactly why I stated in my reponse that if your are staying in one of the Epcot resorts its a nice place.

I'm not sure I'd make a special trip there unless there was something I wanted to do there, like Jellyrolls or a restaurant. Although its always nice to check out the other resorts and see what they have to offer.

And I am thinking for couples or a family that wants a more quiet evening may like to stop at the Boardwalk. Maybe stop there before or after they see Illuminations (its a short walk from the Boardwalk to the UK in the World Showcase).

I really enjoyed my time on the Boardwalk but I was staying at the hotel. My parents who stayed with me also really liked the Bakery in the morning. My Dad would go down to the bakery before everyone got ready and we'd meet him on a bench outside.

If you knew what days they were having which entertainment on the Boardwalk it might be worth it too. I really enjoy the carnival type games and I'd probably be up for a special trip to it one night even if I wasn't staying at a nearby resort, if I knew what days they were there.

Is there transportation to the boardwalk from other resorts, or is it necessary to go back through epcot?

What time are the shows at Jellyrolls, and if we see one, is there still transportation afterwards??

Thanks!
pirate:

Last time I was there, there was transportation to the Boardwalk from only one other resort, Coronado Springs. That was part of the bus loop with one of the water parks, I believe.

I plan to go to Boardwalk (and other area hotels) for a few hours during the day before we head over to MGM for EMH evening hours. A few questions...is it worth it to go during the day? Can we walk to the other resorts in that area from the Boardwalk? And how can we get from the Boardwalk to MGM? (p.s. I'm staying at CSR)

Erica

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter