We hated the whole ME experience, a review (5/17-5/23/08)

luvmarypoppins

<font color=darkorchid>I am debating whether to pu
Well this was our lst experience using the ME. I usually book a van since we stay at the Swan or Dolphin but this time we were staying at the Disney resorts. We booked through American Airlines and never got our luggage tags but they included a letter with our travel documents. We arrived at the A terminal. They said to cross over to the B terminal with 2 options. Bring your luggage or have them get your luggage. We decided on option 2, have them get your luggage. Well after a who knows how long hike, (note: if you have any mobility issues this is a long, long walk. I couldnt even imagine doing it with luggage. Well dh went to the ME desk and they asked us where our luggage was? What we chose option 2. They said we were suppose to bring our luggage with us to the desk,(this was not indicated on our letter). They said they would get our luggage and bring it to the hotel etc. etc. So we board the ME bus. O.K. Gerardo was our driver and the bus contained about 50 to 100 lemon tree air freshners. I thought I was going to throw up. Later in the week they told us to call them since we had no luggage tags and were switching hotels. We had the disney people call them and wrote down the info etc. Dh called them back and they said they had no record of us etc. At this point we just decided to get a taxi back to the airport. Next time we will skip the ME and get another source of transportation. The straw that broke the camels back was when they told us they wouldnt even drop us off at the southwest curb side check in. The magical expresss was definetely not magical for us and it seemed like more of a nightmare. This trip was only dh and I.

I really don't see this as any major problem. Some miscommunication and misunderstanding, that's all. I guess the "eyeore in you" saw this as more of a problem than I would have.

We usually rent a car, and I think we'll continue to do so. I'm sure ME works fine MOST of the time, but we've run into more than a few people who've had MAJOR problems with ME. (And I'd call the OP's problem more than "minor".) What we've seen has really put us off ever wanting to use ME.

DisFlan

ME does not drop people off at every single airline departure terminal. It takes you back to the exact same place you boarded the ME buses. Can you imagine the nightmare it would be to stop at *every single* terminal to drop off passengers?? :confused3

I think if you go into your vacation expecting and looking for every little thing to go wrong, it will.

I have realized that when I am on vacation, there are many things I don't have control over ~ I don't stress over them.

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience. Since you did not recieve your ME booklet you certainly were at a disadvantage.
I just used ME for my trip this month 5/15-5/20 and my experience was great, in fact I've used ME several times and have never had a problem.
I flew in on Southwest, their gates are in terminal A and then get over to terminal B, but I did not find that it was really that far. The longest hike is once you get to level 1 and then get over to the ME counter.
Its strange that they would have asked you if you had your luggage when you got to the desk because whenever I've checked in they ask if you had your yellow tags on the luggage and if you do not they just have asked for the baggage claim that you get from the airline. Disney even has that information in their FAQ on their website. They also explain the drop off procedure indicating that your are dropped off in either terminal A or B
Even if you did not get your information booklet, I am not sure why you thought you would be dropped off curbside at your airline.
I like using ME, I think it a great perk that Disney provides for its onsite guests.

I'm kind of confused as to how the size of the airport is an ME problem? If you were not using ME you would have still had to walk it, just with your luggage in tow, which makes ME a plus, not a negative.

If ME stopped at every airline you would have to add another hour to your bus ride. That doesn't sound very magical to me.

OP--It sounds like you didn't have a negative ME experience, just that ME is maybe not for you.

Well, when I used to book things and people would ask about ME..I would always tell them it's a great service for MOST people, but there were other options (towncars,limo,rental). In fact, I trained booking agents on this very topic. On more than one occasion I had a guest tell me they wouldve booked a towncar if they had known DME was going to be what it was. As with all things, you get what you pay for.

The straw that broke the camels back was when they told us they wouldnt even drop us off at the southwest curb side check in.

Motorcoaches are not allowed on Level 3, per airport regulations.

DME drops off on level one, on both A and B sides. From there, it's a simple elevator ride up to level 3. *shrug* I continue to be baffled on why I continue to see posts where people think that's a huge deal.

I see where there is some confusion (happens even during the best made plans), but then there are pieces which is just bad service/quality.

I can never see me ever not getting a personal car rental. Although this service is free, for the cost of even a basic rental car, the freedom ability is just worth it.

Well, when I used to book things and people would ask about ME..I would always tell them it's a great service for MOST people, but there were other options (towncars,limo,rental). In fact, I trained booking agents on this very topic. On more than one occasion I had a guest tell me they wouldve booked a towncar if they had known DME was going to be what it was. As with all things, you get what you pay for.

You get what you pay for right, and even the hassle the OP had would not even bother me at all, because the price of ME is just right for me!

I understand if you don't want to do it again, but forewarned is forearmed, and you know the system now so you can raise holy heck in the comfort of your own home before your trip and I am sure you will get what you are supposed to have to make things run smoothly.

Last year our tags were printed off center and I feared it would cause a problem, so about a week before I called and asked for them to reprint, and I got the new tags two days before the trip.

I can put up with human error, as it can happen when you don't pay for something.

Well this was our lst experience using the ME. I usually book a van since we stay at the Swan or Dolphin but this time we were staying at the Disney resorts. We booked through American Airlines and never got our luggage tags but they included a letter with our travel documents. We arrived at the A terminal. They said to cross over to the B terminal with 2 options. Bring your luggage or have them get your luggage. We decided on option 2, have them get your luggage. Well after a who knows how long hike, (note: if you have any mobility issues this is a long, long walk. I couldnt even imagine doing it with luggage. Well dh went to the ME desk and they asked us where our luggage was? What we chose option 2. They said we were suppose to bring our luggage with us to the desk,(this was not indicated on our letter). They said they would get our luggage and bring it to the hotel etc. etc. So we board the ME bus. O.K. Gerardo was our driver and the bus contained about 50 to 100 lemon tree air freshners. I thought I was going to throw up. Later in the week they told us to call them since we had no luggage tags and were switching hotels. We had the disney people call them and wrote down the info etc. Dh called them back and they said they had no record of us etc. At this point we just decided to get a taxi back to the airport. Next time we will skip the ME and get another source of transportation. The straw that broke the camels back was when they told us they wouldnt even drop us off at the southwest curb side check in. The magical expresss was definetely not magical for us and it seemed like more of a nightmare. This trip was only dh and I.
I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience.

But as with everything else related to travel, a little homework would have helped. You expected some things that were never promised as part of DME. Had you known what to do, things would have gone more smoothly. Had you known what to expect, you would not be disappointed when unrealistic expectations were not met.

For example, DME never told you they drop people off at individual airlines, let alone drop them off at the same level as curbside check-in. You are indignant that they didn't provide you a service, yet it's a service they've never ever provided. You could have known that.

In addition, it seems that you misquoted a CM. Since there is no such things as luggage tags for the trip back to the airport, there's no way a DME CM would have told you to call them later in the week because you didn't have luggage tags. NO ONE has luggage tags for the way home. As an experienced DISer, you could have known that, too.

Now, the lemon air fresheners making you feel sick ... you have a valid complaint there. I don't remember reading about ultra-lemony buses in the DME FAQ.:rotfl:

But seriously, all the other stuff was stuff you could have known to expect. It is not Disney's fault that you expected some services that they simply don't provide.

I know this wasn't you, but I recall a post from a year or 2 ago from someone who was hopping mad at Disney because their luggage wasn't automatically taken from their room to be supposedly later retrieved at their home airport. The person assumed that since DME automatically delivers luggage to a room that they must also automatically pick it up from rooms. The person went on and on about what a nightmare that was.

And by the way, I'm not talking from the cheap seats. I was one of the first people to use DME 3 years ago. There was no one who'd already used it and posted about it yet. I read what I could, and called DME directly and asked some questions. I knew exactly what to expect (and what NOT to expect) and was totally satisfied. Had I expected a short walk in the airport, or had I expected they would drop me off at Spirit Airlines curbside check-in, I might have described the experience as a nightmare, too. And also, I didn't receive my DME tags/paperwork until about 12 hours before my trip; we were fully prepared to do without, and knew the procedure to do so because I called a few times and asked.

Later in the week they told us to call them since we had no luggage tags and were switching hotels. We had the disney people call them and wrote down the info etc. Dh called them back and they said they had no record of us etc. .
Transferring luggage between hotels is complimentary but is not part of Magical Express per se and does not use yellow tags.

Also you should remove the yellow tags before checking out to go home.
the bus contained about 50 to 100 lemon tree air freshners. I thought I was going to throw up.
It is wasteful to have that many air fresheners open at the same time (and they'll expire soon all at the same time), although some prankster-guest may have decided to decorate the bus while waiting to depart.

with Cleverocks. With the large # of posts you have, I can't understand how you could have been so misinformed about DME. Truly it is not for everyone but your problems were created by a lack of basic knowledge of the system. I can understand a Newbie having issues but not someone with over 4500 posts!:confused3

So we board the ME bus. O.K. Gerardo was our driver and the bus contained about 50 to 100 lemon tree air freshners. I thought I was going to throw up. .

Ah come on, Be real. I don't like those things either, but if you WANT your story/review to be creditable, then be somewhat accurate.

Why would anyone believe you with such a ridiculous claim? That's 1 to 2 per seat. So that would indicate the rest of your story is inflated in a similar manner.

I have found a Max of 5 of those NASTY smelling things in a bus. Vanilla is the worst.

Now after alittle thought, what's the real story?

Oh Lord....the luggage tags...drive me crazy. And everyone else too...People seem to go absolutely crazy over them..but fact of the matter is, whether you have them or not doesn't really affect the process.It's more of a feel good thing disney gives you. Fact is, info on the tags change all the time, or its wrong to begin with ,or no tags at all..but the system is such that the bag has an equal chance of getting lost to every other bag..so says one of our CMs who did some overtime at DME..it was quite educational. lol

Ah come on, Be real. I don't like those things either, but if you WANT your story/review to be creditable, then be somewhat accurate.

Why would anyone believe you with such a ridiculous claim? That's 1 to 2 per seat. So that would indicate the rest of your story is inflated in a similar manner.

I have found a Max of 5 of those NASTY smelling things in a bus. Vanilla is the worst.

Now after alittle thought, what's the real story?

My thoughts exactly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter