• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

we go shop or garden grocer? Or do it ourselves

chimommy

Mouseketeer
We have a rental car, but I was thinking about using a delivery service for our groceries. Has anyone used the above? Do you think it was worth it? Are the prices comparable to doing the shopping ourselves? Thanks... also anyone know what grocery stores are close to sea world? Do they have a trader joes in Orlando?

We have just ordered from Garden Grocer for the first time for our trip in September. I've been happy from a customer service perspective so far and their selection was good. I felt like their prices were definitely inflated over shopping myself, but I don't mind paying for the convenience. You may have to create a profile first, but you are able to go in and "shop" their aisles to see the selection and prices.

$12 delivery unless you purchase $200 or more.

All the reviews I've read have been good for them.

We just got back from a 10 night visit without a rental car, so we used WeGoShop again.

They have always done a great job for us. They shop at a store of your choice. You pay the actual cost, plus a fee (based on the amount of your order). We had the food delivered before we got there, so I had a 10% gratuity added on. It was all charged to my credit card and was at SSR when we arrived.

I have used them approximately 4 times and will use them again.

It is worth it even when we have a rental car. I don't want to spend my vacation time shopping. there is a Wal-Mart near the resort, but oh my, the lines can be awful.

I've used GG once when we were staying at the Boardwalk Inn without a car. It was nice to have a few snacks, breakfast items, drinks, and a bit of wine and beer delivered. I liked the convenience of it, but it isn't my normal way to do our snack shopping.

All our other trips, I've had a car and stopped at Publix or Super Target, or a few times we've had a town car with a stop.

I was debating the same thing for our upcoming trip. We have a car, but don't land until 4:30, so by the time we get on the road with our luggage, I may not feel like stopping at the store. Now, we're going for 15 nights, so we have plenty of time (and we're staying in condos, one move halfway through) so we will cook a lot. I just thought maybe I'd order a few things to get us started, so I wouldn't have to shop the first day.

When I looked at the prices, $8 a case for water, I decided I don't mind stopping somewhere quickly for a few things myself!

No Trader Joe's in Orlando. I think there is a Whole Foods near Sea World. We stayed at Marriott's Harbor Lake, which is super close to Sea World, and I recall a Publix being close to us.

I'm curious as to why you would use a grocery delivery service if you are renting a car? We always rent a car and the 30 minute stop at the store to pick up drinks and snacks is always quick and fun. Never occurred to me to hire a service for that.

There are many Publix stores. I would just go and shop yourself. That way you'll get good prices and can pick out the items you want.

I'm curious as to why you would use a grocery delivery service if you are renting a car? We always rent a car and the 30 minute stop at the store to pick up drinks and snacks is always quick and fun. Never occurred to me to hire a service for that.

knowing my family our stop at the grocery store will be a lot longer than 30mins. I have small kids and we get in late afternoon. after we get our rental car and drive to the hotel i figure it will be evening time. I was planning on cooking our first night there... so i thought it would be easier to have everything delivered. So we can enjoy some pool time and get situated instead of shopping. garden grocer prices seemed pretty high to me... so if we use a service i think we will go with we go shop. we will be there for 10days (and have a timeshare) so we will need a lot of groceries.

We have used garden grocer twice for trips where we flew in and didnt have a rental car. They were great, had our groceries delivered right on time, and had everything we ordered.
I would not hesitate to use them again, but when we have our own vehicle, we do our own shopping:goodvibes

We almost always drive to WDW, and I still order groceries for delivery. I don't want to grocery shop on vacation. (heck, I don't like doing it at home) I don't want to go into a store I don't know and have to look for things. We also get in pretty late in the evening and I am not in the mood to shop after driving 17 hours.

Garden Grocer's stuff is marked up, plus you pay a fee. W/ WeGoShop, you pay whatever the store charges and a fee. They will shop at whatever store you want. GG has a set list of stuff to choose from.

I'm curious as to why you would use a grocery delivery service if you are renting a car?
I'm about half and half. Why do I sometimes use a service? Because I can save money, or I can save time, but it is hard to save both. On some vacations, it is more important to me to save time on arrival day than to save money.

To me, it's more tiring to cook than shop. I wouldn't even want to boil water after a long drive. My first night, I'd just order pizza delivery. Then, if I had time after supper (you probably should), leave the kids with Daddy or whoever, then do your grocery shopping then.

Or better yet, after you check into your condo, leave the kids with Daddy, go shopping and bring home a fully baked chicken for supper. Supplement that with ready made mashed potatoes (that you heat up in the microwave) and salad from the salad bar and you're set.

Don't take the kids shopping with you. You'll never figure out how those five gallons of ice cream, 15 bags of Oreos and that blow-up Mickey got in your cart. :rotfl2:

We check in at the hotel, leave our bags then go straight out shopping. There's a Wal-Mart close to Wholefoods if you're at SeaWorld. We usually stay on site, but still go to Publix for water and snacks. If I had a car, I wouldn't consider delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter