We Ditched The Kids! - UPDATE (7/22 - NYC trip)

Thanks, Liesa! I don't know if I'm rocking it or just barely treading water, but it's always good to hear from you!

Of course you are! See? They let you take a vacation already. Vacation minus 3 days and you're still rocking THAT.

And I leave for vacation in a week, so I'll fall even further behind!

It's a good thing we went on vacation at the same time. Now we can both be really, really behind.

Looks like summer vacation 2016 has arrived! How exciting! Safe travels, Oblivious Family!

Thank you!

...and it's already over. It always goes fast, doesn't it? My wife just told me we have less than 6 weeks until school starts again. :faint:

Perfection.

Julie was disappointed that we didn't meet anyone who used that phrase while we were in the Minnesota/Fargo region.

So what's wrong with those 10 states?

Too far away! Or not enough interesting stuff to make a vacation! Or I'm just lazy and haven't gotten there yet.

It's like you can read our minds.

I knew it!

And post a link here, please?

Will do!

....eventually.

Not sure if you're checking this while you're gone, but I remember you asking about July 4th fireworks recommendations in the Twin Cities. I just heard on the radio that the downtown Minneapolis/riverfront fireworks (red, white, and boom) will be choreographed to Prince music this year, so rather unique. Probably crowded too, but likely a good show. Hope your trip is off to a great start!

Thanks! We ended up getting into the hotel somewhat late, but had a nice view of fireworks from several different towns from our hotel window! Not sure how I would have felt about them using Prince music.

Of course you are! See? They let you take a vacation already. Vacation minus 3 days and you're still rocking THAT.

Well, I told them before I accepted the job that I needed to be able to travel. Thankfully, they were cool with it.

It's a good thing we went on vacation at the same time. Now we can both be really, really behind.

I am SO familiar with that feeling lately!

So...we're back! And we had a great time after a rough start, which...well, I'll save that for the TR. If I can get one started. But for the most part, it was a great trip.

I'm still in the process of getting photos uploaded, but in the meantime I still owe you guys a NYC mini-report, so I'll try and get cracking on that one.

Julie was disappointed that we didn't meet anyone who used that phrase while we were in the Minnesota/Fargo region.

Probably you only met tourists. Fargo swarms with tourists you know. It's more popular than Grand Forks.

Too far away! Or not enough interesting stuff to make a vacation! Or I'm just lazy and haven't gotten there yet.

I'll take option #3.

So...we're back! And we had a great time after a rough start, which...well, I'll save that for the TR. If I can get one started. But for the most part, it was a great trip.

Despite the rocky start, it looks like you guys had a blast!
Can't wait to read all about it.

in the meantime I still owe you guys a NYC mini-report

Hey! Yeah! You do! What gives??

I enjoyed somewhat following along on FB. I look forward to getting the whole story. I'm guessing it will take at least 3 updates before we ever get you on a plane... :rolleyes1

Welcome back Mark! party:

You're ahead of where I'd be. I'd still be doing laundry.
I know your family is happy you're done with Nursing School and taking the laundry back over..... :rolleyes1

I enjoyed somewhat following along on FB. I look forward to getting the whole story. I'm guessing it will take at least 3 updates before we ever get you on a plane... :rolleyes1
:rotfl2::lmao: I think you know him too well Andy! :rotfl:

I know your family is happy you're done with Nursing School and taking the laundry back over..... :rolleyes1

Uhhhhh....

Nope.

One day, quite a while back, but WAY too late in this marriage gig, IMHO, I had me a little meltdown. (OK, it was quite large and not for public display.) One night I came home to a HUGE pile of clean laundry (that I had done over several days ) after a LONG day of Clinicals. The entire family had the day off and NO ONE had bothered to lift one finger to fold even one towel. My DH finally stepped in, and we now have a Do-Your-Own policy. Even he does his own now- I think it was rather frightening to see full-on whackadoodle Steppesister Blowout.

So far, it's working well, and we are mostly all staying on top of the situation now. Sad that it took a near nervous breakdown to get to this point after 28 years.

Probably you only met tourists. Fargo swarms with tourists you know. It's more popular than Grand Forks.

But only just barely, I'm sure. Thanks to the Bacon Flight.

I'll take option #3.

Somehow, I knew you would.

Despite the rocky start, it looks like you guys had a blast!
Can't wait to read all about it.

Once we got out there, it was a lot of fun!

Hey! Yeah! You do! What gives??

Coming right up...

You're ahead of where I'd be. I'd still be doing laundry.

You saw Julie's photo she posted of the massive pile, right? God bless her.

Well, I've been thinking about that. I mean, I wanted to find some way to share the things we would have done had we gotten there on time...

Welcome back Mark! party:

Thanks, Marv!

:rotfl2::lmao: I think you know him too well Andy! :rotfl:

Just what are you insinuating here???

Uhhhhh....

Nope.

One day, quite a while back, but WAY too late in this marriage gig, IMHO, I had me a little meltdown. (OK, it was quite large and not for public display.) One night I came home to a HUGE pile of clean laundry (that I had done over several days ) after a LONG day of Clinicals. The entire family had the day off and NO ONE had bothered to lift one finger to fold even one towel. My DH finally stepped in, and we now have a Do-Your-Own policy. Even he does his own now- I think it was rather frightening to see full-on whackadoodle Steppesister Blowout.

So far, it's working well, and we are mostly all staying on top of the situation now. Sad that it took a near nervous breakdown to get to this point after 28 years.

:scared1:

I've been on the receiving end of a few of these over the years. All part of the learning process.

A McTour of New York City—Part 1

I needed a birthday gift for Julie.

Whenever her birthday rolls around, I usually ask her what she wants, and she’ll usually give me one or two ideas, like a necklace or a skirt she liked, or a gift card, or (sigh) yet another Vera Bradley bag. She struggles to come up with ideas, mostly because she isn’t materialistic and doesn’t feel like she needs much. And I have to admit, I usually look at her list and feel…bored.

You see, I’m a romantic. I love big, sweeping, grand gestures. I am forever trying to come up with ways to sweep Julie off her feet (see: an adults-only weekend in Disney World). And I always end up feeling like Don Quixote, forever attacking windmills, because like the windmills, Julie does not really have a romantic bone in her body.

Mind you, this is not a criticism. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t thank the Good Lord for making her a low-maintenance woman. Valentine’s Day? I’m off the hook. She views it as a Hallmark holiday and a waste of time (plus, candy is 50% off on Feb. 15). She’s very un-demanding, which by and large makes life easier for me. She just wants to get through the day with everything ending up where it’s supposed to be so she can get some sleep. You have to love that.

But on the flip side, my grand romantic gestures don’t elicit much reaction more than, “Yeah, it was nice.” And yet, because I am wired the way I am (or because I’m an idiot), I just keep trying.

Anyway, I was trying to come up with better ideas for her gifts than the ones she gave me, and I had an idea: Julie really loves live musicals. She loves Broadway shows. And it had been ages since we’d last been to New York. And we’d heard great things about Aladdin on Broadway. Why not try to get tickets?

So I did some research, found tickets at less than the list price on Stubhub, and then found a cheap downtown hotel deal on Hotwire.com. Her birthday is mid-March, and the weekend prior looked like the last weekend before peak-season pricing hit New York City. This was suddenly looking very do-able.

So I floated the idea past Julie as an early birthday present, and the unthinkable happened:

I got a reaction.

“Oooh, I’d love to!” she said. Sounds like a green light to me.

And yes, we were only 3 months removed from ditching the kids for Disney World alone, so we were really abusing both our kids’ goodwill and my parents’ patience for child care, but…well, sorry, kids. Mom outranks you.

We only had the budget for a 24-hour getaway, so it would be a whirlwind visit to the city. I like to refer to this as a “McTour”, or the fast-food of vacations.

I worked a half-day, then picked up Julie at home. She had already dropped the kids off at my parents’ house. We drove two hours up the New Jersey Turnpike (and lived to tell the tale), and then took the Garden State Parkway for a very short distance before exiting at the Metropark station. When determining how best to enter the city, I considered driving all the way in for…oh, about a half-second. Traffic congestion is always a nightmare at both the Holland and Lincoln tunnels. And I don’t want to say parking fees are exorbitant inside the city, but it may actually be cheaper to just leave your car there and buy a new one for the ride home. Generally speaking, when planning a trip to New York City, expect to be gouged at Disney-level prices while dealing with much surlier Cast Members.

So, I researched transit options and found that the very best option for us was to take New Jersey Transit. The Metropark station was very convenient, right off the Garden State Parkway, train tickets were $10/person each way, and it would only be about $15 to leave my car there overnight. I currently drive a Hyundai P.O.S., so I wouldn’t even have been heartbroken if it wasn’t there when we got back.

We had no issues getting train tickets or a seat, and settled in. It’s a slow ride, with 7 stops on the way, and takes about an hour to get into Penn Station, which is a labyrinth of tunnels located directly underneath Madison Square Garden.

IMG_0682%255B1%255D.JPG

And with that, Julie and I were now in the heart of downtown Manhattan. I decided to go right away to get a slice of my favorite NYC pizza.

IMG_0683%255B1%255D.JPG

Just kidding. Any guesses as to where I stole that joke from?

When I say it had been a long time since we’d been in New York City, I mean it had been a different world back then. We had last visited in May of 2001, and we’d gone to the top of the World Trade Center that day. Four months later, it was gone.

We were traveling light—we’d layered our clothes and only packed toiletries and a change of underwear. We figured we could survive with one outfit for 24 hours, and this enabled us to pack only a single backpack and walk around the city, using the subway if we had to. For now, we walked from Penn Station north through Times Square.

IMG_0686%255B1%255D.JPG

Times Square gets a bad rap from native New Yorkers, and I can see why: it’s loud, crowded, obnoxious and crammed wall-to-wall with every national chain brand you can think of. And yet, I also have to point out: it’s distinctly New York. Where else in America could you see a place like this? So I get that it is a tourist trap, but I don’t mind visiting as a tourist, because I can’t see something like this at home.

We made only one stop: the Disney Store. It’s basically the same as any other Disney Store, only larger and with more NYC-centric merchandise. We didn’t buy anything there, but I did enjoy the Tangled theme they used for the escalator inside.

IMG_0687%255B1%255D.JPG

We walked a few more blocks north to our hotel: the Sheraton Times Square North. This place turned out to be a great deal. It was a great location, within walking distance of Times Square, Central Park, and Rockefeller Center. But it wasn’t in the middle of Times Square, so we didn’t have to deal with the hubbub there. The rooms were somewhat small, but that’s the case in most large cities. It was clean and (thanks to Hotwire) affordable. The view from our window, looking south:

IMG_0691%255B1%255D.JPG

After we got checked in and settled, we set out again for dinner. Some friends from our church had moved to the NYC area a couple of years ago and we were taking advantage of the chance to meet up with them. We decided to meet at Columbus Circle, just on the southwest edge of Central Park and only a few blocks from our hotel.

On the way, I found the Ed Sullivan Theater, where they film the Stephen Colbert Show (formerly David Letterman). Always wondered where that was.

IMG_0692%255B1%255D.JPG

We got to Columbus Circle early, so we decided to wander into Central Park a bit. Aside from the crowds at Times Square, walking around the city wasn’t a bad experience at all. It was pretty easy to navigate and we always felt safe.

Dusk was fast approaching, so we didn’t stay long in the park. We found a little path that led to a bridge and just enjoyed being in the city.

IMG_0693%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_0698%255B1%255D.JPG

Our friends arrived soon after. We had reservations for dinner and were still early for that. We checked at the restaurant, but they were packed and not ready to seat us yet. So my friend gave us a diversion. I will keep his employment status vague, but he works for some wealthy people and has some connections. So he took us up to the top of a tower for some rooftop views of NYC at night. It was pretty sweet.

Towards New Jersey:

IMG_0701%255B1%255D.JPG

Across Central Park:

IMG_0705%255B1%255D.JPG

Finally, it was time for dinner. We’d relied on our friends to find us a good but not-too-expensive (for New York, anyway) place, and they recommended The Smith. It bills itself as an upscale place with twists on American comfort food, with four different locations in the city.

IMG_0710%255B1%255D.JPG

The place was very crowded, which is always a good sign. I decided to forego my usual burgers and ordered a pork rib chop, which came with some mashed taters and other veggies and frou-frou accompaniments which I calmly pushed to the side of my plate.

IMG_0713%255B1%255D.JPG

Julie chose a couple of small plates from the appetizer menu: a tomato-cheese soup and spicy meatballs.

IMG_0714%255B1%255D.JPG

Her favorite item, however, was her dessert: S’mores in a jar. Or on top of the jar, as the case may be.

IMG_0785%255B1%255D.JPG

Our friends made it a delightful evening in the city. We loved their company, and it was great to catch up after a couple of years. The restaurant was excellent. Julie and I would definitely return for another meal. Afterwards, however, there was a troubling development. It started innocently enough, as my friends were eager to show us more around town. We went to his office nearby, and it seemed like an ordinary office, if by ordinary you take it to mean a corner office in downtown New York City. But there they revealed a painful secret: their son may in fact be a budding supervillain. I mean, it makes sense that this type of development would take place in New York; the movies have been warning of this for decades. My friend brought up a map of the world on his smart television screen, and there was his son’s evil plan to take over the world, all laid out in careful detail.

IMG_0715%255B1%255D.JPG

Basically, it involves breaking all of the toilets in New Zealand in Phase 1, and then following up immediately with Phase 2, the detonation of a nuclear fart bomb over the heart of China. Fiendishly simple, yet elegant in its design. I’m only sharing this with you now after having alerted the proper authorities so you can make preparations to protect yourself when the time comes.

After sharing this terrible secret with us, our friends tired and took their leave. We walked back to the hotel, a little wiser, but now better-prepared to face the day ahead.

Coming Up Next: The whirlwind McTour concludes, with stops in Rockefeller Center, the World Trade Center Memorial, and Broadway. We even had an unplanned DIS meet!

Our friends made it a delightful evening in the city. We loved their company, and it was great to catch up after a couple of years. The restaurant was excellent. Julie and I would definitely return for another meal. Afterwards, however, there was a troubling development. It started innocently enough, as my friends were eager to show us more around town. We went to his office nearby, and it seemed like an ordinary office, if by ordinary you take it to mean a corner office in downtown New York City. But there they revealed a painful secret: their son may in fact be a budding supervillain. I mean, it makes sense that this type of development would take place in New York; the movies have been warning of this for decades. My friend brought up a map of the world on his smart television screen, and there was his son’s evil plan to take over the world, all laid out in careful detail.

IMG_0715%255B1%255D.JPG

Basically, it involves breaking all of the toilets in New Zealand in Phase 1, and then following up immediately with Phase 2, the detonation of a nuclear fart bomb over the heart of China. Fiendishly simple, yet elegant in its design. I’m only sharing this with you now after having alerted the proper authorities so you can make preparations to protect yourself when the time comes.

Hmmm....Coincidence? I think not. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11475193

Cool. I wish we could traVWL light, but that's not even in Fran's vocabulary. Sounds like a great evening. I'm glad you alerted the authorities about such a well thought out evil plan.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I am sure I I could rival that Blowout. I basically took a totally different approach with my kids. My mother NEVER let me NEAR the washing machine. EVER. Afraid I would break it. I was not allowed to touch it which I felt was really unfair and dependent. Let me just add that she would only wash my red t shirts when every SINGLE one was in the wash so I felt that I could do better. I also felt deprived that I was not learning something I would eventually have to do on my own and when the time came I would not have proper teaching.
Sooooo When my kids got to be about 11 or 12 I taught them, I actually showed them and wrote out instructions and taped then to the washer and dryer. They could ask questions and still only ruin their own clothes. So from that point on I have not done their laundry.

Now I will admit if it in the dryer and I have time or need the dryer I will fold the clothes but leave them in a basket for them to put away, or pick out the basket to wear.:rotfl: I also have been know to rewash clothes I do not deem clean when I find them in the washer. :snooty: :rolleyes1

I about went into convulsions with that statement. Don't know where the joke came from right away but the thought alone :scared1:

So far your adventure looks awesome!!!! I have not been back to NY since before 2001 myself.

Uhhhhh....

Nope.

:scared1: :scared:

I've been on the receiving end of a few of these over the years. All part of the learning process.
I really hope Pat's not waiting on me to do the laundry............ :rolleyes1

When I say it had been a long time since we’d been in New York City, I mean it had been a different world back then. We had last visited in May of 2001, and we’d gone to the top of the World Trade Center that day. Four months later, it was gone.
Nice recap of your NYC trip! :thumbsup2 It was been a long time since I was there too. The last time, like you, I traveled to the top of the WTC also...... well, at least the observation level. :sad2: :sad1:

because I am wired the way I am (or because I’m an idiot)

Aren't most idiots wired that way...? :rolleyes1

Four months later, it was gone.

:sad1:

Impressive!

I’m only sharing this with you now after having alerted the proper authorities so you can make preparations to protect yourself when the time comes.

Well, thank Heavens. If ever I'm in NZ, I'll make sure to bring a shovel.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

:rotfl2::rotfl2: I am sure I I could rival that Blowout. I basically took a totally different approach with my kids. My mother NEVER let me NEAR the washing machine. EVER. Afraid I would break it. I was not allowed to touch it which I felt was really unfair and dependent. Let me just add that she would only wash my red t shirts when every SINGLE one was in the wash so I felt that I could do better. I also felt deprived that I was not learning something I would eventually have to do on my own and when the time came I would not have proper teaching.
Sooooo When my kids got to be about 11 or 12 I taught them, I actually showed them and wrote out instructions and taped then to the washer and dryer. They could ask questions and still only ruin their own clothes. So from that point on I have not done their laundry.

They've know HOW to do their laundry since about the same age. I was just too stupid to make them do it. You know that whole... I can do it faster and more efficiently mindset? But as I got more buried in school, it just got out of hand, and I blew a gasket. Now, at almost 39, again, I'm much wiser for the wear.

Now I will admit if it in the dryer and I have time or need the dryer I will fold the clothes but leave them in a basket for them to put away, or pick out the basket to wear.:rotfl:

Nope, not even that.

Just don't ever start. You'll be safe. :rotfl2:

Whenever her birthday rolls around, I usually ask her what she wants, and she’ll usually give me one or two ideas, like a necklace or a skirt she liked, or a gift card…
Dang boy, are you sure our DWs aren’t related?

…or (sigh) yet another Vera Bradley bag.
Whoa…
Now I’m almost certain of it.

I love big, sweeping, grand gestures.
Tuck “futile” in there and you’d be true Delta Tau Chi material

And I always end up feeling like Don Quixote, forever attacking windmills…
My patron saint (and preferred occupation)
Are you sure we’re not related?

And yet, because I am wired the way I am (or because I’m an idiot), I just keep trying.
Well, if perchance we are related then I know exactly which of those two possibilities actually holds sway here…

And we’d heard great things about Aladdin on Broadway. Why not try to get tickets?
Excellent!

So I did some research, found tickets at less than the list price on Stubhub, and then found a cheap downtown hotel deal on Hotwire.com.
Most Excellent!

Her birthday is mid-March
More spousal coincidence…

So I floated the idea past Julie as an early birthday present, and the unthinkable happened…
She smacked you on the back of the head?
No, no, that’s the thinkable thing…

I got a reaction.

“Oooh, I’d love to!” she said. Sounds like a green light to me.
Oddly, I’m not as surprised here as you were.
It’s a dang good plan.

well, sorry, kids. Mom outranks you.
Goes without sayin’.

We drove two hours up the New Jersey Turnpike (and lived to tell the tale)
Adventure is out there!

Generally speaking, when planning a trip to New York City, expect to be gouged at Disney-level prices while dealing with much surlier Cast Members.
Sounds about right…
May even be a mite sugar coated.

So, I researched transit options and found that the very best option for us was to take New Jersey Transit. The Metropark station was very convenient, right off the Garden State Parkway, train tickets were $10/person each way, and it would only be about $15 to leave my car there overnight.
<<scribbling notes>>

I currently drive a Hyundai P.O.S., so I wouldn’t even have been heartbroken if it wasn’t there when we got back.
Better than the 18 year-old meatloaf… I mean minivan I’m currently driving
(and I’d have the same lack of reservation)

Got me on that one…
Extra points for you.

That’s a lot of change.
I was there in 92 and then not again until 2011…
much, much change there.

Times Square gets a bad rap from native New Yorkers.
I’ll say…

but I don’t mind visiting as a tourist, because I can’t see something like this at home.
Very true, but like all traps…
if you know what you’re getting into up front and approach it from that point of view, it can still quite entertaining.

We made only one stop: the Disney Store.
But of course

Dusk was fast approaching, so we didn’t stay long in the park. We found a little path that led to a bridge and just enjoyed being in the city.

IMG_0693%255B1%255D.JPG
I like the mood of that one.
Nice shot

So my friend gave us a diversion. I will keep his employment status vague, but he works for some wealthy people and has some connections. So he took us up to the top of a tower for some rooftop views of NYC at night. It was pretty sweet.
Cool…
And if you’re still in Columbus circle, the description gives me a pretty decent guess as to which tower.

hey recommended The Smith. It bills itself as an upscale place with twists on American comfort food, with four different locations in the city.
And mere blocks from the Ghostbuster’s Building
(added pointless bonus points if you made the walk)

I decided to forego my usual burgers and ordered a pork rib chop, which came with some mashed taters and other veggies and frou-frou accompaniments which I calmly pushed to the side of my plate.
I certainly approve…

Her favorite item, however, was her dessert: S’mores in a jar. Or on top of the jar, as the case may be.
Looks interesting…
Too bad I hate marshmallows

But there they revealed a painful secret: their son may in fact be a budding supervillain.
Painful??
Don’t you mean completely awesome?
Tell me the kid speaks with a perfect upper-class English accent and the picture is neigh on to perfect.

Basically, it involves breaking all of the toilets in New Zealand in Phase 1, and then following up immediately with Phase 2, the detonation of a nuclear fart bomb over the heart of China. Fiendishly simple, yet elegant in its design.
Genius… Sheer genius…

We walked a few more blocks north to our hotel: the Sheraton Times Square North. This place turned out to be a great deal. It was a great location, within walking distance of Times Square, Central Park, and Rockefeller Center. But it wasn’t in the middle of Times Square, so we didn’t have to deal with the hubbub there. The rooms were somewhat small, but that’s the case in most large cities. It was clean and (thanks to Hotwire) affordable. The view from our window, looking south:

IMG_0691%255B1%255D.JPG
Well, what a freakish coincidence. Looks like we were in almost the same room! I stayed at the Sheraton Times Square in 2012. That was also a trip with DW for her birthday. Great minds think alike, I suppose? I thought it was a great hotel. Very close to walk to all the major places.

I couldn't help but post this picture of the view from my room (we must have had almost the same room). It's zoomed in a bit more than yours, but it's the same view. For reference, the billboard with the lights around it in your picture is the white one just to the left of the yellow one in my picture (at least I think it is). :)

150764_10151610486690076_308890667_n.jpg

We got to Columbus Circle early, so we decided to wander into Central Park a bit. Aside from the crowds at Times Square, walking around the city wasn’t a bad experience at all. It was pretty easy to navigate and we always felt safe.
I only took a very short walk into the park, to say we were there. I regret that because it seems so nice. I enjoyed walking around the city. I especially like the grid layout of the streets because it's hard to get too lost.

I decided to forego my usual burgers and ordered a pork rib chop, which came with some mashed taters and other veggies and frou-frou accompaniments which I calmly pushed to the side of my plate.
Wise move. The frou-frou stuff is just decoration. Actually for me, the veggies are generally just decoration too. :p

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

We're too late! It's already begun!

Cool. I wish we could traVWL light, but that's not even in Fran's vocabulary. Sounds like a great evening. I'm glad you alerted the authorities about such a well thought out evil plan.

Once we decided our main mode of travel would be on foot, it became a necessity!

Now I will admit if it in the dryer and I have time or need the dryer I will fold the clothes but leave them in a basket for them to put away, or pick out the basket to wear.:rotfl: I also have been know to rewash clothes I do not deem clean when I find them in the washer. :snooty: :rolleyes1

I seem to be able to get away with switching loads from the washer to the dryer when Julie asks me to. But I can take care of a load of laundry if need be. I'll really earn bonus points if I can transform the upstairs bathroom into a 2nd-floor laundry area.

I about went into convulsions with that statement. Don't know where the joke came from right away but the thought alone :scared1:

Nobody got the reference yet. I don't even eat Sbarro in Delaware.

So far your adventure looks awesome!!!! I have not been back to NY since before 2001 myself.

It was a quick visit, but a lot of fun! I had always been a little intimidated about traveling to NYC. Mostly with kids--they like to run off.

I like Liesa's response to this one:
Just don't ever start. You'll be safe. :rotfl2:

Even if you did start doing it, you'd be doing it wrong anyway. You can't win.

Nice recap of your NYC trip! :thumbsup2 It was been a long time since I was there too. The last time, like you, I traveled to the top of the WTC also...... well, at least the observation level. :sad2: :sad1:

It's a strange feeling, isn't it? I looked back and thought, wow, the world has changed quite a bit since the last time I was here.

Aren't most idiots wired that way...? :rolleyes1

It could be insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Impressive!

It was a great location!

Well, thank Heavens. If ever I'm in NZ, I'll make sure to bring a shovel.

I suppose men have it easier in this regard.

They've know HOW to do their laundry since about the same age. I was just too stupid to make them do it. You know that whole... I can do it faster and more efficiently mindset? But as I got more buried in school, it just got out of hand, and I blew a gasket. Now, at almost 39, again, I'm much wiser for the wear.

I know how to do the laundry. Folding it is where I become a disaster.

Of course, we know the real issue here isn't the laundry. It's the underlying assumption that I can lie around while mom does everything.

Dang boy, are you sure our DWs aren’t related?

I don't know. I can't say I ever considered it before. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Whoa…
Now I’m almost certain of it.

Maybe.

Tuck “futile” in there and you’d be true Delta Tau Chi material

Yes, that is a good descriptor.

My patron saint (and preferred occupation)
Are you sure we’re not related?

Ok, you're starting to worry me here.

Well, if perchance we are related then I know exactly which of those two possibilities actually holds sway here…

I can only speak for myself, but...yes.

More spousal coincidence…

Now you're scaring me!

She smacked you on the back of the head?
No, no, that’s the thinkable thing…

That's a daily occurrence.

Oddly, I’m not as surprised here as you were.
It’s a dang good plan.

But you don't understand...I NEVER get a reaction. Ever.

Goes without sayin’.

The kids don't always remember that.

Adventure is out there!

And over there! And over there! And behind you!

Sounds about right…
May even be a mite sugar coated.

I didn't have any real nasty encounters this time around.

Better than the 18 year-old meatloaf… I mean minivan I’m currently driving
(and I’d have the same lack of reservation)

I actually like our minivan better than my car. But it was a hand-me-down from my in-laws, so the price was right.

Got me on that one…
Extra points for you.

Hint: Steve Carell

That’s a lot of change.
I was there in 92 and then not again until 2011…
much, much change there.

Yes, indeed.

Very true, but like all traps…
if you know what you’re getting into up front and approach it from that point of view, it can still quite entertaining.

I agree with that. I also think one trip through Times Square is generally enough. Once you realize it's all national chains, it becomes less interesting.

I like the mood of that one.
Nice shot

Thanks!

Cool…
And if you’re still in Columbus circle, the description gives me a pretty decent guess as to which tower.

I'm sure you can figure it out. My friend is not directly employed there; he just knows a guy who knows a guy.

And mere blocks from the Ghostbuster’s Building
(added pointless bonus points if you made the walk)

Sadly, I did not make the trek.

Looks interesting…
Too bad I hate marshmallows

There it is. The final straw. I'm not a fan of marshmallows, either.

Painful??
Don’t you mean completely awesome?
Tell me the kid speaks with a perfect upper-class English accent and the picture is neigh on to perfect.

Wish I could accommodate you there.

Genius… Sheer genius…

Isn't it? I'm in awe of the plan, myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter