We didn't make it to Castaway Cay

I think the fact that DCL doesn't control the weather is an obvious point that is needless to be made. Everyone on here knows that already.

I feel for you OP for missing CC. We too missed it on our 3 nighter in December and I was very upset. While, I knew that it was the safest thing to not dock there because of the condition of the seads and that our captain did his very best not once, but twice, to dock us there, I was still extremely disappointed so I know where you are coming from. It made me not book again onboard and I doubt I will be going on another Disney cruise anytime soon just because I am still so disappointed....even knowing it was out of their hands doesn't take the sting of disappointment away.

People need to understand that it is okay for some of us to be bummed if we do not make it to CC. It doesn't mean we hate Disney or are mad at Disney it just means we spent thousands of dollars to go on a cruise and if you can't dock at CC we are bummed and upset. Is it Disney's fault, no, they don't control the weather but it is also okay for people to be upset. It's okay for people to feel this way. I certainly would if it was me. I don't understand why we can't feel bad for those who didn't make it. I would never blame Disney in any way but I would be upset because you so look forward to going to CC.

I TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY 100% AGREE!!! People have feelings and should be allowed to express them! Thanks for posting that.

I think the fact that DCL doesn't control the weather is an obvious point that is needless to be made. Everyone on here knows that already.

I feel for you OP for missing CC. We too missed it on our 3 nighter in December and I was very upset. While, I knew that it was the safest thing to not dock there because of the condition of the seads and that our captain did his very best not once, but twice, to dock us there, I was still extremely disappointed so I know where you are coming from. It made me not book again onboard and I doubt I will be going on another Disney cruise anytime soon just because I am still so disappointed....even knowing it was out of their hands doesn't take the sting of disappointment away.

You should give it another chance. We've cruised 7 times and haven't missed it yet. We usually go in Apr/May so we usually always have great weather. We cruised RCCL in Jan a few years ago and couldn't get into one of the ports even though other ships were already docked. We did go to another port, Progresso, which wasn't that great, but we made the best of it. ($1 Coronas!:thumbsup2) A year later that same RCCL ship made the news because they put a hole in the side of the ship trying to get into the same port. I do think you have more of a chance of missing it in the winter months and hurricane season. Give it another shot.

I TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY 100% AGREE!!! People have feelings and should be allowed to express them! Thanks for posting that.

I'm not singling out your post...just using this as a baseline.

I think what myself and some of the others were surprised at were the few people who said they were mad...or that they expected some kind of money back, and I remember reading about that one Eastern cruise where people went crazy when they couldn't get to CC, but I just don't really understand any of it.
I DO understand being disappointed. But there isn't anyone to be MAD at except Mother Nature.

We're HOME!!!!

Was able to get in on a direct Southwest flight just in time for the next storm that is about to hit. VERY thankful to be here - as much as I love the Mouse - I wanted to get home to be near the rest of my family.

As for my OP - I'm not at all mad at Disney - totally understood why they could not get in after watching the second attempt - I was just looking SO forward to that Conch Cooler at Serenity Bay! That said, I did have one next to the adult pool and we made the most of our day at sea. DCL did a good job of lining activities and communicating them to everyone.

We ended up at Pop Century for two nights after the cancelled flight - DH has an AP so I purchased a one day base ticket and we went to the MK (my favorite!) yesterday. Got a great rate on the room, extended the rental and used counter service, so the overall cost was way less than it could have been. That said - note to self - PURCHASE TRIP INSURANCE NEXT TIME!!!

Thanks for the well wishes - glad to be home! :)

I am glad that you're home safe. We've been stuck in strange cities 3 different times, so I know how that feels!!! Unfortunately, I've never been stuck with the Mouse....but it's still no fun to have to find a room, watch for flights, etc.
Just curious....I've always gotten the trip insurance but have never (thankfully) had to use it. In your situation, as in the times we've been stuck somewhere, how would insurance help? Please know that this is a legimate question, I need to know if this happens to us again.

I'm not singling out your post...just using this as a baseline.

I think what myself and some of the others were surprised at were the few people who said they were mad...or that they expected some kind of money back, and I remember reading about that one Eastern cruise where people went crazy when they couldn't get to CC, but I just don't really understand any of it.
I DO understand being disappointed. But there isn't anyone to be MAD at except Mother Nature.

I'm thinking the deal where they got the OBC was the time they also had engine trouble which caused problems w/ getting into CC. I don't think they gave it just because they didn't get in. Maybe that was a different time, but I remember people being "upset" because of the engine trouble.

It's understandable to be disappointed when you miss a port. Being disappointed to the point of causing a near riot is not.

We were on the 2/4 sailing that missed out on Castaway Cay as well!

It was frustrating because we'd been sitting out on the balcony, watching the boat try to dock, and then turn around and leave. Then a half hour later - same thing - tried to dock, then turned around and left. I think the hard part was watching Castaway Cay disappear on the horizon - so close but yet so far, hehe.

I was sad, not mad, after all - safety comes first. To be honest if anything it just made me want to hurry up and book my next Disney cruise, and wonder if I should hedge my bets by trying to snag Double Dips, lol.

We had a fun unexpected Day at Sea, but not being mentally prepared for it was kind of a bummer.

We were on the 2/4 sailing that missed out on Castaway Cay as well!

It was frustrating because we'd been sitting out on the balcony, watching the boat try to dock, and then turn around and leave. Then a half hour later - same thing - tried to dock, then turned around and left. I think the hard part was watching Castaway Cay disappear on the horizon - so close but yet so far, hehe.

I was sad, not mad, after all - safety comes first. To be honest if anything it just made me want to hurry up and book my next Disney cruise, and wonder if I should hedge my bets by trying to snag Double Dips, lol.

We had a fun unexpected Day at Sea, but not being mentally prepared for it was kind of a bummer.

I know what you mean.. we were on a Jan 2009 cruise that tried 3 times to land at Castaway Cay... we were in an Aft room, and our room shook when the ship's engines were gunned... they tried real hard to dock, but couldn't. It was sad when the captain finally came on and said we couldn't dock. No one got mad (as far as I know), since it was obvious to everyone that he had tried hard for us.

In our case, I'm kinda glad the Wonder didn't dock anyway... a day at Castaway Cay with 35-40mph winds probably wouldn't have been that fun.

I'm thinking the deal where they got the OBC was the time they also had engine trouble which caused problems w/ getting into CC. I don't think they gave it just because they didn't get in. Maybe that was a different time, but I remember people being "upset" because of the engine trouble.

I did a search, and it was on the cruise w/ engine trouble where they got the $100 OBC. Disney said it was the weather, but the passengers were saying if there weren't engine problems it would've made it to CC. :confused3

I think one thing to consider, is that Disney WANTS you to make it to CC. Its a place where they make 100% profit on you going there. Its definitely a bummer if you don't make it for one reason or another, but from a DCL's point of view it is a bigger disappointment cause they lose the one place that make a ton of $$.

I am glad that you're home safe. We've been stuck in strange cities 3 different times, so I know how that feels!!! Unfortunately, I've never been stuck with the Mouse....but it's still no fun to have to find a room, watch for flights, etc.
Just curious....I've always gotten the trip insurance but have never (thankfully) had to use it. In your situation, as in the times we've been stuck somewhere, how would insurance help? Please know that this is a legimate question, I need to know if this happens to us again.

Since you asked, I reviewed the policy offered by DCL - looks like a maximum of $500 is paid for travel delays, so may not be that big of a benefit once you deduct the cost of the policy. Anyone have actual experience with getting reimbursed for this?

People need to understand that it is okay for some of us to be bummed if we do not make it to CC. It doesn't mean we hate Disney or are mad at Disney it just means we spent thousands of dollars to go on a cruise and if you can't dock at CC we are bummed and upset. Is it Disney's fault, no, they don't control the weather but it is also okay for people to be upset. It's okay for people to feel this way. I certainly would if it was me. I don't understand why we can't feel bad for those who didn't make it. I would never blame Disney in any way but I would be upset because you so look forward to going to CC.

I was disappointed when it happened to me, too. I was looking forward to Castaway Cay on my first Disney cruise, since I'd been to the rest of the ports on other cruise lines before. Nobody on our ship was causing a riot because we all could see and feel the ginormous waves that prevented the ship from docking. We just had to have an impromptu day at sea.

That's how I took your post catzle. I was stunned at all the smarmy replies. :confused3

Same here. When I saw the posts about being "mad", I assumed the people were mad at the situation, not Disney. And not expecting compensation. I still think it's ok to feel frustrated by it, temporarily. ;)

This happened to us on the 3-1-2008 Eastern - and there was a near riot in the ships atrium. They ultimately gave every stateroom $100 OBC, which also caused issues because some staterooms had two people and some had five. That being said, I also think that they've got to have a better plan in place should the port of CC not be reached as that is one of the exlusive attractions of the Disney Cruise. They can all go to St. Thomas or St. Martin -- but no one else can get to CC. Hopefully we'll get to see it on our next cruise.

I was on the 3-1 cruise with Ranidayz. I remember the near riot. It was very disappointing to miss CC. If I remember correctly the Captain tried 4 times to dock, no success. Every time he got close, the wind would knock us off. Close enough to get pictures, but not to disembark. thumbsup2

I think what added salt to the wound on our cruise was the people had been waiting since 8 am to disembark and it wasn't until about noon or so that they were told it was highly unlikely -- so they'd wasted a half day standing at the door.
The above people are my fellow cruisemates and one a very good friend. I will not let the comments go to their post without saying something. Now grant it, they have not posted everything as that would totally take over the thread; but to Ranidayz's post, it was a lot more to the situation than what she writes. So please do not take it apart and start a flame thread. :scared1: Yes Figment, Capt. Tom tried 4 times before he called it quits. Yes, everyone was waiting at the doors for hours. I think they did not inform us of the problem or potential problem for a couple of hours. Yes, this too was part of the fuel to the fire. Yest there were people waiting in the lower level of the ship lined up sitting on the stairs for a few hours up five decks; waiting. I actually had my family wait up on deck 9 when I saw the long line of people kids sitting with sandpails in hand and moms with beach bags on the shoulder. MANY sat on the stairs for HOURS.... So I do think this added emotions. Did the passengers have the rights to those emotions as the OP??? Yes..... Should they be able to come here to a group of Disney Feans many of whom know the beauty of CC and be able to vent disappointment..... YES... If you can not come to a family of people who are suppose to understand and get a :grouphug: then aren't we missing part of the purpose of the DIS Community?:confused3
DCL always has put more activities if we missed CC as they did on 6th if you sit and be bummed all day because you missed CC then that is your own fault!!
Scott

Yes Scott, they generally do put on additional activities, but agin you are commenting without knowing the entire story. Much too long to write. That day, additional activities did not start until about 1PM because the crew was overwhelmed and had run out of activities to perform. They too were sitting ready to unload onto the island and could not. That day we got 6 Navigators!!! Since we had already missed 3/4 a day in St. Marteen and a few hours in St. Thomas, the cruise turned into an almost Entire Sea Cruise... The staff (although did an awesome job) ran out of activities. Take what was suppose to be a 3 Sea Day Cruise and turn it into a 98% Sea Day Cruise, you run out of activities.... They had exhausted the "EXTRA" activities on the two previous days that were not suppose to be Sea Days... So how many times can the kids make flubber, you go to the Who wants to be a Mouseketeer and sing "HEYYYY HEYYY BABY." SO it was more than just missing CC. So we had 6 deck parties that cruise (4 unplanned). :sad2:

I did a search, and it was on the cruise w/ engine trouble where they got the $100 OBC. Disney said it was the weather, but the passengers were saying if there weren't engine problems it would've made it to CC. :confused3

Thanks Tara for having such a great memory and actually doing the research. Yes that WAS the reason for the SBC. The engine issues caused the other POC's to be missed, cause a lot of Sea Sick passengers (me included; in 6 other cruises I had never gotton sick before & was told by the STAFF that it was due to the stabilizers needing to be brought in due to the engine malfunction)and finally the belief (still not proven) that CC was missed because the broken engine caused the ship to not have enough horsepower to dock and therefore missing CC was the issue. So yes, the reason for the SBC and for the angry passengers.

Now to the OP.... Happy you were able to make an added delight to your cruise by making the best of the extra time in Florida. Sorry you missed CC but are willing to give it a shot again... As far as the insurance goes, you should be able to cash in on the time and $ for the added exspenses for after, but will not get anything for missing POC's. So trip insurance is good and we always purchase it, but will not help in cases of missing ports. Happy you made it home safe and they you were able to come back with positive memories. Come here anytime to vent and get a :hug:

Since you asked, I reviewed the policy offered by DCL - looks like a maximum of $500 is paid for travel delays, so may not be that big of a benefit once you deduct the cost of the policy. Anyone have actual experience with getting reimbursed for this?

If you do decide to get insurance next time, DCL's is ridiculously overpriced. I got ours for about $100 for a family of 4 from www.insuremytrip.com and it also covered our air travel, which I booked on my own. And it did cover "trip interruption/delay" insurance. It even covers you if you get sick and are quarantined to your room for a couple of days.

Ahhh...travel delay.....got it. I was thinking about things like sickness, lost luggage....
I'd definitely send in a claim for that, if I had the insurance. Especially if we had to pay for hotels and such.

Quote-
Yes Scott, they generally do put on additional activities, but agin you are commenting without knowing the entire story. Much too long to write. That day, additional activities did not start until about 1PM because the crew was overwhelmed and had run out of activities to perform. They too were sitting ready to unload onto the island and could not. That day we got 6 Navigators!!! Since we had already missed 3/4 a day in St. Marteen and a few hours in St. Thomas, the cruise turned into an almost Entire Sea Cruise... The staff (although did an awesome job) ran out of activities. Take what was suppose to be a 3 Sea Day Cruise and turn it into a 98% Sea Day Cruise, you run out of activities.... They had exhausted the "EXTRA" activities on the two previous days that were not suppose to be Sea Days... So how many times can the kids make flubber, you go to the Who wants to be a Mouseketeer and sing "HEYYYY HEYYY BABY." SO it was more than just missing CC. So we had 6 deck parties that cruise (4 unplanned). :sad2:

I was only commenting on the 2/4 Wonder sailing that I was on--I know nothing of " Your Magic Sailing" with the failed CC attempts.
What I do know is any sailing of the Magic or Wonder I've been on has filled it in with activities. I know being on a 14 day Trans Atlantic (with 6 continuous days at sea)in 07 and a Panama Eastbound impacted by Hurricane Hillary(missing Cabo port and then filling it in with an aknown Mexico port) in 05 DCL filled in the days with unrepeatative programming.

I am ONLY stating what I know.

Scott

We had this happen two years ago.

People pick cruises based on ports of call and one of the reasons Disney is able to charge the price they do is because of their private island getaway. If you don't get to go there, when advertised, you should be entitled to compensation of some kind, whether it's a credit towards a future cruise or a partial discount on your current one.

Again, I would understand if it were extreme weather causing inability to go the island such as a hurricane, but I've heard about the boats not docking just because of higher than usual winds.

Disney really needs to have a Plan B for their private island - such as do what other cruise lines do and that's tender to the island when weather is making it impossible to dock.

Disney really needs to have a Plan B for their private island - such as do what other cruise lines do and that's tender to the island when weather is making it impossible to dock.

Other cruise lines cancel their private island port of call when it's too windy, because it's more difficult (and potentially dangerous) to operate their tender boats.

The tendering process was stopped at Coco Cay on my Dec. 2008 RCI cruise after only one tender boat had taken people to the island. The boat had to go back and pick-up those people, and no more went ashore. We had a sea day instead.

I guess it depends on many factors, including what tenders are being used. All I can say, I've been on many cruises and only Disney has failed to find a solution - either a physical solution or a customer service solution - when unable to reach one of it's destination.

Don't get me wrong, I've since been with Disney before and after that cruise and both times had a wonderful time at Castaway Cay - which is something I paid for. I just look back at the cruise that didn't go there, and wondered why I spent 100% of what the other cruises had and only got 80% of what was advertised.

I'm just trying to say, its disappointing, and it would be nice for Disney, at the deluxe pricing of their cruise, provide deluxe alternatives when something goes wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter