We Defected to the West! DLR 2013

I definitely was traumatized after the Matterhorn. Oh my word that was rough!!!!
I am loving all the flashback pictures. It's so hard to believe they are all that young at one time. I just recently was looking through my cruise pictures for a particular one from 2011 and gosh, Claire looks so young there and it wasn't that long ago.
Seeing your pictures makes me realize all the ones I have missed taking!!! I just need to go back!

Very nice start of the morning at DL with a DISMeet. I always enjoy walking in DL in the morning with the Christmas decorations up on MS and walking on over to our first ride or activity.

Nice aerial photos from AO. It is a little sad that the FNSV is closed for my upcoming trip in a few days but it is nice that it will be returning later this year.

Great update.

Thanks Bret. It just felt great to have someone call out my name and say hi as we were waiting to walk into the park. Then to top that off with walking down Main Street under that brilliant blue sky with all the decorations up........ it was pure heaven. :)

A DisMeet at the Gates. Where else? How appropriate. :rotfl:
I haven't been on the Matterhorn since the refurb. The concensus is that it is a lot more bumpy than before the refurb and I wasn't quite ready to give up my memories of the Matterhorn yet; so I didn't get on it during the last trip. Maybe next time.

I love love love your flashbacks. They are just so wonderful.

Carefree and happy? Absolutely. That's why we love Disney. :thumbsup2

Thanks PIO. I'm glad everyone is enjoying the flashbacks. I'm enjoying digging through the old photos along with the new ones.

I know that I do have some arthritis in my neck now, so part of the experience at Matterhorn might be related to that. But it really does seem much rougher than before.

Great update! Love the photos from the Astro Orbiter!

Thanks! I know the Astro Orbiter isn't where most head at rope drop, but it was a great way to start our visit with a nice view of the park from above.

Great update!

Love the picture of your DD when she was little with her thumbs up, so cute. And the one of her enjoying the AstroOrbiter, that's a classic too :)

That photo has sort of taken on legend status in our family. I *might* have used an enlargement of that photo on a scrapbook page from that trip. :rolleyes1 Katie is over it though and laughs at the page now. I think.....

It was so nice to finally meet! And crazy that it was at the gate on your first day in the parks. :)

Love, love, love seeing all your pictures. I will be re-living the memories!

:wave: Hey Wendy! I'm so glad you recognized our ears that morning and said hi. It was a great way to start the day!

I'd say the Matterhorn is equally bumpy as before. Once per trip is plenty for me.

The flashbacks are fun. The beauty of digital is that you have access to photos and can bring them with you on a phone if you want to get the right angle to re-create an old photo. Some of my favorite photos are repeats.

PHXscuba

Let's just say I'm far better at pulling flashback photos from 11/04 forward. That's when I went digital and haven't looked back. I LOVE that all of my photos are available at my fingertips.

I wanted to work on a scrapbook page from 2002 recently and...... oh my........ had to dig through boxes of old negatives. :faint: Not fun at all.

I'm sure I'll do the Matterhorn again next time, but will probably be "one and done" again.

I wonder if it's any better if you ride in the front of the car? I know that with our quick access via the single rider line, we ended up in the very back, and I'm sure that didn't help.

I have to ask, where did Katie find the red ears? All I've ever seen are the green. Great TR so far!

I actually bought the red ears on Ebay from someone in the UK. I actually had been on the Holiday thread asking if anyone had seen them. I kept thinking they would show up somewhere to buy. I think I had seen them in some park merchandise photos, but it turns out that was from a prior year. Someone who works in one of the stores at DCA said they didn't have them in the parks last year. So I bit the bullet and paid shipping from the UK. I'm really glad I did though, as I loved having matching red and green ears for Katie and myself. I'm sure you notice though who got dibs on the red ones???? :rolleyes1

I think it was that discussion of our red and green ears that helped Wendy recognize us in line that morning. :santa:

love her picture in Astro Orbiter...looks like an ad

Thanks! I look at that photo ......... and I'm right back there on our very first ride, on our very first morning in the park. And I can't help but smile. :)

I definitely was traumatized after the Matterhorn. Oh my word that was rough!!!!
I am loving all the flashback pictures. It's so hard to believe they are all that young at one time. I just recently was looking through my cruise pictures for a particular one from 2011 and gosh, Claire looks so young there and it wasn't that long ago.
Seeing your pictures makes me realize all the ones I have missed taking!!! I just need to go back!

Well, at least I'm in good company. Katie wasn't really bothered by the Matterhorn, and I kept putting her off riding it again later in the week. My neck just wasn't up to it.

I really wish I had taken the boys to Disney as little boys more than we did. Our first trip was in 1999 when they were 4 and 6. The Disney leg of our trip was one day in the Magic Kingdom. THAT WAS IT! And to top things off? I shot ONE ROLL of film. I'm such a failure! :rotfl:

Regardless, I do have a few photos to remember that day.

Our First Visit to the Magic Kingdom by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I bet you really can see some big differences in Claire between 2011 and 2014. I know I see big differences in Katie in 3 years. :sad:

Love the flash back photos

Thanks Tinkerbellandeeyor! I'm glad you're reading along. :goodvibes

Yes, I agree!

Thanks Wendy. That photo is really one of my favorites from the trip.

Found this TR a few days ago and now caught up.

Really enjoying reading about your trip and, like others have said, loving the flashback photos.

I really want to get out there to DLR one of these days, DH is not as eager, LOL

Love the pic of Katie on Astro Orbiter, Pure joy! :yay:

Found this TR a few days ago and now caught up.

Really enjoying reading about your trip and, like others have said, loving the flashback photos.

I really want to get out there to DLR one of these days, DH is not as eager, LOL

Love the pic of Katie on Astro Orbiter, Pure joy! :yay:

:welcome:

So glad you found us! I think every Disney fan should experience Walt's original park at least once. I hope you can talk your DH into it one day!

:wave2: I "know" you from elsewhere on the boards. I just started your TR and look forward to reading more tomorrow. I'm thinking of a trip to Disneyland in June under the pretense of visiting my sons :rotfl2: who both live in CA.

I, too, avoid (boycott actually) Starbucks so I was mad when it was provided with our in room coffee maker when we stayed in Anchorage and the hotel coffee shop was Starbucks. It's the only time it's ever touched my lips.

I'll be curious to read how you like Paradise Pier. I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a couple times and am thinking about the Grand Californian but it's hard to justify the price for solo me.

I didn't realize that five days is the longest park ticket.

Write on popcorn::

Great updates! I hope to get to DL one day - sounds like I'll have to skip the Mattorhorn though - my neck couldn't take that.

Happy Mother's Day everyone! :cool1: I've been really busy, but hope to update in the next couple days.

:wave2: I "know" you from elsewhere on the boards. I just started your TR and look forward to reading more tomorrow. I'm thinking of a trip to Disneyland in June under the pretense of visiting my sons :rotfl2: who both live in CA.

I, too, avoid (boycott actually) Starbucks so I was mad when it was provided with our in room coffee maker when we stayed in Anchorage and the hotel coffee shop was Starbucks. It's the only time it's ever touched my lips.

I'll be curious to read how you like Paradise Pier. I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a couple times and am thinking about the Grand Californian but it's hard to justify the price for solo me.

I didn't realize that five days is the longest park ticket.

Write on popcorn::

Hey H20! I think I've seen you post in the Disboutiquer threads before? I know I recognize your name too.

While I would hate having my kids live far away, having a good excuse for visiting California would be a great consolation prize! :)

Katie really seems to be quite smitten with the whole Starbucks thing. I struggle with that as I like to encourage my kids not to just go with everything "everyone" is doing, and I think that's the deal for her. But I also like for her to fit in. So we keep working on finding a balance.

We will likely stay at Paradise Pier again this year. It's #3 on my list of the 3 Disney hotels, but I'm just a cheapskate. It's so hard for me to justify the price of the other 3 locations. And really, it's just across the street (sort of) from the Grand Californian.

Great updates! I hope to get to DL one day - sounds like I'll have to skip the Mattorhorn though - my neck couldn't take that.

If you decide to try the Matterhorn, definitely research which side is tamer, and ask to sit in the front row. It's still going to be rough though. :faint: But I love the Yeti, so I'll probably give it one trip through again next time.

It's HORRIBLE Joy!!!

LOL! :rotfl: That about covers it!

I'm so glad that I decided not to go on it last year. At least my memories of the old Matterhorn are still intact.......faulty......and fading.......but intact.

:thumbsup2 My memories of the Matterhorn are part of why I'll ride it again this next trip. But I'll probably regret that! :lmao:

Hey H20! I think I've seen you post in the Disboutiquer threads before? I know I recognize your name too.

We will likely stay at Paradise Pier again this year. It's #3 on my list of the 3 Disney hotels, but I'm just a cheapskate. It's so hard for me to justify the price of the other 3 locations. And really, it's just across the street (sort of) from the Grand

Yup, that's me, disboutiquer. That thread has kind of dried up. I guess a lot of people defected to Facebook or got involved in PTRs or TRs. I miss sewing for Big Gives and I especially miss how much I learned from others.

I can't believe I really did it, but I booked a trip to DL leaving three weeks from today. I wanted to get in on the spring special and go when my Santa Barbara son was between spring and summer sessions. And, after much back and forth, I booked the Grand Californian. I'm going solo so I justified it because I would feel safest returning there at night (and I was able to use miles for free flights). When I told my "Hollywood" son about my decision I explained that if I were to stay at the Disneyland Hotel, where I've stayed before, then I'd have to walk through DTD at night. He laughed and said, "Yeah, the rough parts of Downtown Disney."

Now I have to go back and reread trip reports. My understanding is dinner reservations aren't really necessary, but in your opinion are there a couple restaurants I shouldn't miss?

:flower3: Happy Mothers' Day to you, too.

Two don't miss meals in my opinion are:
Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel and Plaza Inn inside DL for the Chicken Dinner.

I love that photo :love:

Two don't miss meals in my opinion are:
Steakhouse 55 in the Disneyland Hotel and Plaza Inn inside DL for the Chicken Dinner.

Thanks for the suggestions. My "Hollywood son" can't decide for how long he might join me. It's tough when work gets in the way. Steakhouse 55 would be right up his alley! (Speaking of alleys, he suggested I watch Cars before the trip so I got it from the library today. :banana:

It's HORRIBLE Joy!!!

If you decide to try the Matterhorn, definitely research which side is tamer, and ask to sit in the front row. It's still going to be rough though. :faint: But I love the Yeti, so I'll probably give it one trip through again next time.

I won't even do Space Mountain at WDW anymore, my neck is pretty sensitive. :sad2:

Did you think the Fantasmic dessert seating was worth the price? Last time I did it it was closer to $40 and we got a neat souvenir box that I still have. Now I read it's just a plastic box, but I couldn't tell from the photo I saw if it's just disposable or has any Disney "magic" making it worth saving.

I don't know if tickets are even available since I'm leaving so soon, but am trying to figure out what I else I need to do before my trip.

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay everyone. If you're read along on my other TR's you know that's just how it goes sometimes. But I never leave things undone, so never fear I will get going again. I promise! :cool1:

I won't even do Space Mountain at WDW anymore,
my neck is pretty sensitive. :sad2:

If Space is an issue for you, then I'm sad to say I probably wouldn't do the Matterhorn. :(

Did you think the Fantasmic dessert seating was worth the price? Last time I did it it was closer to $40 and we got a neat souvenir box that I still have. Now I read it's just a plastic box, but I couldn't tell from the photo I saw if it's just disposable or has any Disney "magic" making it worth saving.

I don't know if tickets are even available since I'm leaving so soon, but am trying to figure out what I else I need to do before my trip.

Thanks!

We did do the Fantasmic package on this trip. I really toiled over the best way to do it and whether it was worth the money. Since it was just the 2 of us, I decided to give it a try. It was just a plastic box of goodies. They were tasty, but it was tricky to balance the goody box, the drink, and my camera.

For starters, we're not huge "do or die" Fantasmic folks. We've only seen it at DHS twice. It was nice, but I didn't write home about it. That said, everyone says the DLR version is superior, and we had never seen it on our prior trips to DLR. So I knew we had to do it this time.

I toiled with whether to get there early enough to guarantee front row seats or to go use that time doing other things and take our chances. We decided to go big or go home, and staked out a spot at 6 PM. We were first in line. We had been in the parks since early open that morning so ready to sit and rest for a while. It didn't help that it was REALLY cold that night and the pavement was damp, so hard to sit on. But we did get our choice of seats and enjoyed that.

We have decided to either skip Fantasmic this next trip, or do the dessert seating again, but plan on playing until 8 PM and going for the back row of seats. At least in that row you can stand up if you end up behind someone really tall.

See what a nice box they had years ago? I went ahead and made a reservation for the 9 PM show, but I hate the thought of getting there two hours ahead of time to get a good $60 seat! It's just me, so I only have to pay for one, and I figure I'll enjoy sitting -- it'll be midnight my time. :faint:

I also debated making a World of Color meal reservation, but went ahead and did that, too. I wanted to try Carthay Circle and that's one of the options. It's just such different thinking than planning for Disney World. (My husband and I went to Aulani in February for my birthday, but I miss my annual solo trip to Disney World. I hope I don't come home from Disneyland still thinking I need to go to Disney World to get my life back in balance :rotfl2: )

What is the hold Disney has over us? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter