• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We can't sleep in small beds! LOL HELP!

chrispat

Earning My Ears
Can I get advice on rooms? We are a kingsize bed family and it's really hard for us to travel somewhere that doesn't have kings (without paying through the nose) so I'm trying to decide what to do here....

I finally got a few minutes to have a look at the Disney website with the rooms/beds. Looks like we are out of luck for Coronado which is where we stayed last time with 2 queens, it's booked. Port Oleans French Quarter has two Queens for $2345/6 nights. Or Caribbean Beach has 2 doubles for $1992/6 nights. I was also looking at the Value's though because I know some people are happy with those. There is a king room and I wonder if we could bring an inflatable twin for our 9 year old and have the pack and play for the 2 year old, is that allowed?

I was playing around with the pricing and it looks like it's about $600 less to do a value than it is to do the Port Orleans with queen beds, that's pretty significant and I think we'd be willing to forgo the queens to save that much money! Art of Animation is already sold out. Is there more noise at Values?

So our options are (dates April 5-11, including 6 day MYW tickets):
Port Oleans 2 Queen beds $2345
Caribbean Beach 2 Double beds $1992
Pop Century Pool View 2 doubles or 1 king $1744.33

Plus dining plan obviously but those include 6 days park tickets

Advice?

Thanks!!

Oh! I didn't know that, damn. It said

2 Double Beds or 1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 4

So I figured that meant for either option

You sound a lot like us! We like big beds (my husband is 6'3" and is built like a defensive lineman), and we like s-p-a-c-e.

I personally would do POFQ. I have not stayed in a value, although we are staying one night at AoA in a family suite next month before moving to OKW. However, noise is one of the things I've heard about the values. Lots of people, lots of commotion. That would certainly affect me, but it doesn't bother everyone.

Art of Animation is already sold out. Is there more noise at Values?

I was just looking at AoA for your dates. The only thing sold out are the Little Mermaid rooms. Have you considered one of the suites? I got a total of $2218 for your trip, before tax. Might not work for your budget, but wanted to throw it out there. :) It is slightly less than POFQ, but more room and two bathrooms. :)

I'm getting a total of $3125 for the AOA including 6 day tickets (those prices above include tickets), $328.67/night, so it is $780 more than POR

I'm getting a total of $3125 for the AOA including 6 day tickets (those prices above include tickets), $328.67/night, so it is $780 more than POR

Ah, didn't realize your quotes were totals. I see where you said that now. I was just looking at room rates. :)

You could also get a family suite at All Star Music for $2,651, with tickets.

I'd pick Pop over Caribbean Beach. If you're still only getting double beds, you might as well pay less. I didn't mind Pop when we stayed there, aside from the rooms being tiny. Caribbean Beach just doesn't appeal to me though.

I'm not sure whether I'd pick Pop or POFQ though, as I've never been to POFQ.

You could also consider renting DVC points for prices similar to Port Oreleans - It's last minute, but sometimes OKW or SSR are available. They wouldn't be King beds, but instead a queen and a pull out sofa (full) for the 9 year old and you can definitely use your pack and play.

Using the Points Calculator on David's DVCR site and buying tickets from David's as well you'd be looking at:

OKW $1246 + MYW (6 days) $1196 = 2442
SSR $1400 + MYW (6 days) $1196 = 2596

If your total prices above includes dining plans, than obviously those are much better deals. Just thought I'd throw this one out there.

Go for the queens at POFQ. IMHO, the values are noisier than the mods. Stayed at AoA and didn't get a wink of sleep. Stayed at POR and slept very well!

Another thought, if you do a search without using the discount, POR comes up at rack rate with a total of $2453.60 with tix. At POR, you could request an Alligator Bayou room which will come with 2 queens and a trundle, so one extra sleeping space for only about $100 more than POFQ with the discount.

If you stay at POR in the Alligator Bayou section you could have 2 queen beds, a murphy bed for your 9 year old and then you could still put in a pack and play for the baby.

You sound a lot like us! We like big beds (my husband is 6'3" and is built like a defensive lineman), and we like s-p-a-c-e.

This is exactly why we can only stay at resorts with Queen beds. DH is 6'2 and 240lbs, no way can 2 of us fit in a full sized bed!

Can I get advice on rooms? We are a kingsize bed family and it's really hard for us to travel somewhere that doesn't have kings (without paying through the nose) so I'm trying to decide what to do here....

I finally got a few minutes to have a look at the Disney website with the rooms/beds. Looks like we are out of luck for Coronado which is where we stayed last time with 2 queens, it's booked. Port Oleans French Quarter has two Queens for $2345/6 nights. Or Caribbean Beach has 2 doubles for $1992/6 nights. I was also looking at the Value's though because I know some people are happy with those. There is a king room and I wonder if we could bring an inflatable twin for our 9 year old and have the pack and play for the 2 year old, is that allowed?

I was playing around with the pricing and it looks like it's about $600 less to do a value than it is to do the Port Orleans with queen beds, that's pretty significant and I think we'd be willing to forgo the queens to save that much money! Art of Animation is already sold out. Is there more noise at Values?

So our options are (dates April 5-11, including 6 day MYW tickets):
Port Oleans 2 Queen beds $2345
Caribbean Beach 2 Double beds $1992
Pop Century Pool View 2 doubles or 1 king $1744.33

Plus dining plan obviously but those include 6 days park tickets

Advice?

Thanks!!

I think I would go for POFQ as my first choice and then POP for my second. POFQ would give you more room - there is a noticeable difference in room size between mods and values. Resorts that have rooms opening on the outside are well insulated and I have found both POR and POP to be fairly quiet (I did request quiet location on my room reservation).

pixiedust:

I am having this same issue. Last visit we did ASMu, and I slept with DD and DH took other bed, DS was still in PNP. Now we are going in 2015 and can't do doubles. DH and I usually sleep in a Cal King at home but he is 6 ftso if we did doubles he would need to sleep by himself. Queen is still not the best but we can survive. Thinking of trying POR but the size of the resort concerns me and the bus as well. Not sure how many days we will be there since we are splitting with Universal but our parks will be MK and DHS, maybe Epcot depending if Frozen is still there and DD still is into them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter