We are taking my parents. How do we make it even more special?

Jonethan

Earning My Ears
Hello to all. We have been fortunate to go on a few family trips in the past 6 years and are taking my parents with us this year. What have you done or would you suggest doing to make our trip even more special for them? How would you handle taking someone special? Would you go into tour guide mode? We have already discussed what attractions they don't want to miss. We will be going again as our own family but may not get the chance to take the grandparents again.

I would take my clues from your parents. You already know their list of "cannot miss" attractions. I would plan around those attractions and do them first thing in the morning when your parents are "fresh." If they want to take it easy after that, I would let them. If they say "that was great, what's next?" then I would put on my "tourguide hat" and go. I think you'll be able to tell how they are feeling. Just have fun and keep asking your parents what they want to do. I hope that someday when my kids are grown they will enjoy my company enough to want to take me and my husband to WDW!

I'm taking my parents too. They have only been once and Reagan was president, so I'm sure things have changed a lot. I want it to be special too. :cool1:

We took my inlaws in 1991 when our kids were 6 and 12 and then my mil again in 2001. I think all they enjoy doing is spending time with all of you. I wanted to show them lots and they already got up early in the AM, so we'd start out early, take a nice afternoon break and then out for a nice dinner and a night time show. The Hoop de Doo was fun and they also liked the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon. Mainly because my FIL was bald and the girls "fussed" over him. It was so cute. We also did Chef Mickey, which I think is always fun.

Also, how about Whispering Canyon. I guess I'm only talking about the FOOD!!! LOL Just plan and then go with the flow and you'll all have a great time.

kind of depends on what type of things they enjoy. one of the special tours or an illuminations cruise might be nice

We are taking my parents for the first time next April and are starting to think about the same thing! My Mom hasn't been to Disney since.....1979! Everything will be so wonderful and "new" to her, I'm hoping it will all be special. I'd love to hear some ideas as well.

Sammy

We did this last year with my wife's parents (both 70) who hadn't been to The World in over 20 years. We planned some fun character meals -- 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace -- gave them a couple hours "off" every afternoon for naps, got tickets for Cirque de Soleil (a highlight of the trip!) and on the final night, booked an IllumiNations cruise.

When they got home they told everyone they had the best vacation EVER. "Everyone we know comes back from Disney World exhausted," my father-in-law said in amazement, "but we came back refreshed and relaxed!" :woohoo:

We're bringing them with us again this summer for part of our trip and are already trying to plot how to top last year! (On the drawing board: a day at Sea World, a morning at Blizzard Beach, and a Keys to the Kingdom tour!)

what are their ages? Any limitations? Don't forget to stop and give 'em a break now and then - some folks tire easier than others.

Focus on their interests, like if she enjoys gardening or flowers - take her to The Land or point out all of the different variety of flowers at the parks...

Get LOTS of pictures.

Is it a special celebration of some kind? B-day, Anniv? There's so many ways to make those special.

Have an awesome time - I wish my parents would go for this sort of thing. They just think I'm foolish to spend so much time and $$ on Disney.
:rolleyes:

Also stress thats it's OK if they want some rest or alone time .

Do the photopass as much as possible as you can all be in the pics. together .If you have a camera give that to the PP CM and they will take your pic. with that as well.

We are going with my parents this year (obviously it's a little different for me since they do not have any grandchildren or anything but...) so what I am doing is since I know more about WDW I am sharing my experiences with them to help them pick things to do, such as the restaurants and which parks to go to on what day, etc...

It's really fun to talk about it now that they are going with us this year because now they are actually interested in my ramblings unlike last year when they did not come! :banana:

hahaha

So anyways I would discuss restaurants and such with them to try and find the ones that match their interests. Think about what they really like, does your mom have a favorite food or your dad really enjoy a certain theme like underwater animals or a certain country from epcot? Picking restaurants can be fun to do together.

tmt martins said:
Also stress thats it's OK if they want some rest or alone time .

PS: I think this is a great suggestion as well. See if there's anything you can find for them to do special by themselves, like a special dinner. (Yes I get very excited about Disney food. :teeth: ) Or a show they'd like to see together.

My DX and I are taking our moms and it will be special to them to watch DS4 while we ride all the cool stuff. :thumbsup2

Really listen. We just got back and my mom keeps talking about how much she loved Small World and how she would have to ride it again so she can see everything she missed the first time. I know when we got off she mentioned something about riding it again and there was no line. We could have ridden it again and I feel badly that we didn't because I wasn't really listening and didn't realise she actually meant it.

We are planning our first trip to WDW this fall and MIL/FIL are joining us. None of us have been there since the early 70s. Both are in their 70s but are healthy. I keep asking for their input and they always respond....'whatever you guys want to do". We have the Luau planned because FIL wanted to go. I have also tried to plan a dinner/night alone for them...but they have refused. They want to do every park, character breakfast, etc.....I am sure it is that they want to see the kids. They even want to go to MNSSHP, even though they hate Halloween. (I thought that would be a great night for them to relax instead). They are the type that will do anything for their son and grandchildren, even if they don't really want to (they would never tell you their opinion/plans first). I worry that they will be EXHAUSTED keeping up with my very excited kids!! Hopefully they will take a break when they need to, even though right now they say...no, we will be fine...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter