We are going to DisneyLand in Oct

mommymonster

Mouseketeer
I need some budget tips. We are driving there. However, I need ways to save money on DisneyLand passes and hotels. Is a package deal better or should I do each one seperately?

Lisa

We stayed across the street at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel. Cute little property had fridge and micro in room (less than 5 minute walk). You can also save by sharing meals. The Plaza Inn Restaurant serves big plates of fried chicken and roast beef. Enough for two adults. And the biggest Strawberry shortcake.

I've actually used packages my last few visits there because they come out slightly ahead. However, it depends where you'd like to stay. What is your budget like?

I don't think many discounts on passes are offered, but if you have AAA, you should check with your local office. Also, check the website. I'm not sure about DL, but I know at WDW they offer a discount for online purchases.

Discounts at the on-site hotels are harder to come by than they are at WDW, but Expedia and Travelocity have been known to offer pretty decent discounts, especially at Paradise Pier. But even there you'd still be looking at at least $120 per night.

There are lots of good hotels just across the street at prices much less than $100 per night. Check out the DL Board for more info on these hotels, but Howard Johnson's is one of my favorites, though it's slightly farther away, and I've heard good things about Carousel Inn and Desert Inn and Suites.

Also, unless you have your heart set on staying in a certain hotel or in a certain area, consider using Priceline. Last year I got a Hyatt Regency for only $44! (The only catch was parking was $12, but still less than I would've paid even at HoJo.) It was a couple miles away from DL, but in a nice area and convenient to restaurants, and had a good shuttle.

If you do decide on a package, I'd skip the dining plan. It's more like coupons or gift certificates, and if you dont' use them properly, you could lose out on some money. However, I've always felt that there are quite a few reasonably priced options there, and it's easy to walk across the street and find other places to eat as well.

Mousesavers.com has information on passes and hotels for Disneyland. Eating off site is a big help, there are diner style resturants in the area (as well as a McDonald's and other fastfood not far away). If you want a great burger and fries find the closest In-and-out Burger.

www.getawaytoday.com We used them once and they are terrific!!! Their packages are per room, not per person. They all come with 2 adult parkhoppers, and you can get additional ones added on. There are several hotels to choose from. We were at the Westcoast Anaheim...I think it is called the Coast now. Very nice place, big rooms, 2 long blocks to Disney, but we walked it just fine. We requested and got a room on the 12th floor with a DLR view. DCA is verry pretty at night. If you use them, be sure to call the 1-800 #...for some reason, the price was LOWER than the advertised price on the web!!!:earseek:

Be sure to eat at Del Rancho Zocolo!!! The food is GREAT!! And you get HUGE!! portions, so share a meal and save a few $$'s!!! This place is in Adventureland!!!:wave:

Scanmom reminded me of something...if you decide to book directly with an offsite hotel, check with them about packages too. One year I got a really good package with HoJo that included Disney passes and another park (I chose Knotts, but I think there were other options as well).

We stayed at the Fairfield in by Marriott. It was right across the street. We had a McDonalds in the parking lot. Also a micro and fridge in the room. The hotel offered a 3 day pass, which was a better deal than at the parks.

We stayed at Paradise Pier right before THanksgiving last year. There was a special stay 3 nights the 4th is free. Also we got a package and it included Disneyland tickets -- when you got them through Disney travel they included UNLIMITED fast pass!! It was wonderful since it was so busy at that time. AAA also has these tickets. I'm not sure if they are still doing this, but it is definately something to look into.

I think the unlimited fastpass option is still available - but ONLY if you book a package through AAA... AND stay at one of the 3 Disney properties. It's not available through WDTC anymore.
I don't know that it would be worth it in Oct. as it shoudn't be too crowded and you can probably get a better deal elsewhere or by booking the components seperately. Couldn't hurt to check if you are a AAA member though.

I always get better prices booking on my own then I do with a pkg deal.
You can get hotel thru Priceline or ask for Entertainmnet book rate at HoJo's for $40 a night (call a few months in advance, directly to hotel.. not their 1-800 reservation number)

You can use the current buy 5 day for price of 3 day passes deal thru AAA (possible shipping) or on the Disney web site (free ship).

Eat off site or share meals/kid's meals ... go to White Water Snacks (inside Grand Californian hotel) for large portions and good prices- yum!

Thanks for the great tips. My dh is very picky about hotels. We think we may have thought of something........he stays in hotels a lot b/c he travels so much for his job........he gets rewards from LaQuinta and he thinks he may have 2 days free so we may just book it at the LaQuinta. Anyone stay there before? Is it okay? Also we do have triple A so we will look into savings from them.

Thanks again.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter