(WE ARE BACK! TR LINK!) The-BFF-Birthday-bash PTR turned ANNIVERSARY trip

Let me share with all of you, just why Hope is my very bestest friend in the world. She came over today and do you know what she brought? Raw vegan birthday pie! She made it this morning and I did not waste any time cutting into it! SO good! and good for me too!

karenbday008.jpg

THEN...if that wasn't enough, she spent the afternoon talking Disney with me! She knows JUST how to perk me up when I'm in a funk! :lovestruc

I think we've decided to go with POFQ, we crunched the numbers and talked and would rather have 300$ more in souvie money than stay at a deluxe, so that's where we are at now. We also briefly talked about our upcoming Disney Day and tried to choose restaurants for ADR's. We didn't finish before Hope had to head to work, but she assured me that we still had some time. :lmao:

Now, I'm off to eat (and drink) my Birthday dinner...b/c you know I had to add a little something to go with my birthday pie! :rolleyes1

karenbday001.jpg

I've never stayed at the POFQ, or any moderate resort, but I am super excited to stay at POR in August! DBF & I bumped our big 10 day trip up by quite a few months so that we could go in August & enjoy Free Dining :yay:. Nothing like thinking I won't be back at WDW for over a year & a half and then deciding to go in less than 6 months :love:

Oh no! I missed your birthday!?!?! :headache: Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you enjoyed it and had a wonderful day!!!! :hug:

I would go with booking POFQ, and seeing where things go from there. You never know when an awesome PIN code may come along, but, if it doesn't, POFQ sounds like a great choice! :goodvibes

Oh no! I missed your birthday!?!?! :headache: Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you enjoyed it and had a wonderful day!!!! :hug:

Thanks! I was in a little funk yesterday morning, but Hope cheered me right up...the vodka helped too! :lmao:

I would go with booking POFQ, and seeing where things go from there. You never know when an awesome PIN code may come along, but, if it doesn't, POFQ sounds like a great choice! :goodvibes

Yep, I think POFQ is the best choice, ALTHOUGH, my husband is insane and now that he knows I was thinking of staying at a Deluxe, he's determined for Hope & I to stay there. He keeps saying he will find a way to pay for it. I swear, I don't deserve this man! :lovestruc

I've never stayed at the POFQ, or any moderate resort, but I am super excited to stay at POR in August! DBF & I bumped our big 10 day trip up by quite a few months so that we could go in August & enjoy Free Dining :yay:. Nothing like thinking I won't be back at WDW for over a year & a half and then deciding to go in less than 6 months :love:

:woohoo: Hurray for bumping up your trip! We went for FD in 2010 and it was GREAT- I have the SWEETEST tooth and even I was sick of dessert by the end of the week. :rotfl:

I honestly thing I'd enjoy myself at any WDW property (except the campgrounds- pretending to be homeless is not my idea of a good time). :rolleyes1

Yep, I think POFQ is the best choice, ALTHOUGH, my husband is insane and now that he knows I was thinking of staying at a Deluxe, he's determined for Hope & I to stay there. He keeps saying he will find a way to pay for it. I swear, I don't deserve this man! :lovestruc

What?! He's so crazy! Good thing it's mostly crazy about you! :goodvibes

Happy Birthday Karen! Hope it's great!

As for resorts? Well, I hear POFQ is beautiful. But if you get a chance to go deluxe because you are splitting the cost... well, I might say go for it! :) Being that close to Epcot is soooooo tempting! I really want to push to stay at Beach Club- that's my goal for next Feb. If we can't save enough for that- we'll probably end up at POFQ too! Maybe we'll be neighbors!

That would be so funny! Here's hoping we all get our dream resort! pixiedust:

Hope, I looked through your trip report linked- you are also amazing with your photo skills! I need lessons from you both! I have a Canon Rebel xTi and really would like a new lens (I use the kit lens..and it doesn't seem as sharp).

Thank you! :goodvibes I have the Canon XS 350d (now discontinued, very comprehible to what you have). I was using the 28-135 wide angle zoom on my trip and it was a pretty great "walking around" lens because it's versatile but doesn't have such a long range that you lose clarity. Since that time I've purchased my 50mm prime and I rarely take it off of my camera- it's so light weight and sharp! :thumbsup2

Happy Belated Birthday Karen! And what a great friend to bring over your special dessert! :goodvibes

POFQ sounds great especially if it gives more money for shopping and souvies!:thumbsup2

I hope your feet start feeling better soon. It stinks to be injured after you have a set a goal for yourself. I started running last year and was going to do my first 5K and a few weeks in, I dis-located my shoulder. It was a stupid move and had nothing to do with running!:lmao: I was moving my son's 4 wheeler and just picked it at the wrong angle and wham! there goes the shoulder. I had to stop running for 6 weeks and it was sooooo frustrating! Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon!:)

I just subscribed!! Can't wait to hear about all of your plans and then hear/see your TR after your BFF trip happens!! I so wish that my BFF was Disney Obsessed!! I tried to get her to go on a trip with me and she is just not interested. You're so lucky to have each other and to share your love of Disney!

I have spent time over the last few days reading both of your last trip reports and looking at all of your amazing pictures! :thumbsup2 I loved looking at them all as I just purchased my FIRST DSLR camera!! :cool1: I'm sooooo very excited and can't wait until it comes in the mail! I got a Canon T2i. The regular stock lense is EF-S 18-55mm and is also bundled with the EF-S 75-300mm lens. Now... you'd think I'd be happy with those two... right!!! :confused3 But NO!!! :scared1: I had to read about the prime lens that Hope bought... started doing research... and I just ordered that from Amazon too!!! :rotfl2:(Shhh... don't tell my husband!! He's going to kill me!!!:scared:) Anyway... I might be asking you guys LOTS of questions during this PTR about camera settings. In August I'm going on my first ever solo trip and I plan to take pictures from the time that I get there until the time that I leave! It's a trip for me where I can do whatever I want... whenever I want... for as long as I want!! That's never happened before, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Happy Belated Birthday Karen!!

I am soooo sorry I missed your birthday!! :flower3: I hope the day ended up being a good day. From the looks of the pie and the drink, I would say it did!!:dance3: We haven't ever stayed at POFQ but, we did eat lunch there one day on our last trip and it looks very nice. I am sure you both will love it. Anyway, can't wait to hear the FINAL results, if you are like me it may change again! We went out this weekend with the family we are supposed to go with in February and they are still wanting to go with us. Hopefully soon we can sit down and make a plan. Who knows maybe a PTR is in the works for me soon!! :rolleyes1

Happy Belated Birthday Karen! And what a great friend to bring over your special dessert! :goodvibes

POFQ sounds great especially if it gives more money for shopping and souvies!:thumbsup2

That's exactly what we were thinking. :idea:

I hope your feet start feeling better soon. It stinks to be injured after you have a set a goal for yourself. I started running last year and was going to do my first 5K and a few weeks in, I dis-located my shoulder. It was a stupid move and had nothing to do with running!:lmao: I was moving my son's 4 wheeler and just picked it at the wrong angle and wham! there goes the shoulder. I had to stop running for 6 weeks and it was sooooo frustrating! Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon!:)

Oh man, that sounds painful! Karen is the runner, not me but I can imagine how frustrating that is! :headache: I had an injury last year that made it difficult for me to walk for several weeks that was completely stupid- I rolled my foot walking on loose gravel. :rolleyes:

I just subscribed!! Can't wait to hear about all of your plans and then hear/see your TR after your BFF trip happens!! I so wish that my BFF was Disney Obsessed!! I tried to get her to go on a trip with me and she is just not interested. You're so lucky to have each other and to share your love of Disney!

Karen is VERY persuasive. :rotfl:

I have spent time over the last few days reading both of your last trip reports and looking at all of your amazing pictures! :thumbsup2 I loved looking at them all as I just purchased my FIRST DSLR camera!! :cool1: I'm sooooo very excited and can't wait until it comes in the mail! I got a Canon T2i. The regular stock lense is EF-S 18-55mm and is also bundled with the EF-S 75-300mm lens. Now... you'd think I'd be happy with those two... right!!! :confused3

One of the things no one tells you about buying a DSLR is that you can NEVER have enough lenses. :rolleyes1

But NO!!! :scared1: I had to read about the prime lens that Hope bought... started doing research... and I just ordered that from Amazon too!!! :rotfl2:
(Shhh... don't tell my husband!! He's going to kill me!!!:scared:)

You will LOVE it! :thumbsup2

Anyway... I might be asking you guys LOTS of questions during this PTR about camera settings.

Ask away- I don't know how much help I can be online but I'll try! :thumbsup2

In August I'm going on my first ever solo trip and I plan to take pictures from the time that I get there until the time that I leave! It's a trip for me where I can do whatever I want... whenever I want... for as long as I want!! That's never happened before, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Oh, a solo trip with my camera would be AMAZING! :cloud9: I can't wait to see the shots you'll get without kids rushing you through!

I am soooo sorry I missed your birthday!! :flower3: I hope the day ended up being a good day. From the looks of the pie and the drink, I would say it did!!:dance3: We haven't ever stayed at POFQ but, we did eat lunch there one day on our last trip and it looks very nice. I am sure you both will love it. Anyway, can't wait to hear the FINAL results, if you are like me it may change again! We went out this weekend with the family we are supposed to go with in February and they are still wanting to go with us. Hopefully soon we can sit down and make a plan. Who knows maybe a PTR is in the works for me soon!! :rolleyes1

Oh, I'm sure there will be PLENTY of changes- the only thing Karen and I like more than planning for Disney is CHANGING our plans for Disney. :rotfl2:

Let us know if/when you start that PTR so we can join the fun! pixiedust:

I have spent time over the last few days reading both of your last trip reports and looking at all of your amazing pictures! :thumbsup2 I loved looking at them all as I just purchased my FIRST DSLR camera!! :cool1: I'm sooooo very excited and can't wait until it comes in the mail! I got a Canon T2i. The regular stock lense is EF-S 18-55mm and is also bundled with the EF-S 75-300mm lens. Now... you'd think I'd be happy with those two... right!!! :confused3 But NO!!! :scared1: I had to read about the prime lens that Hope bought... started doing research... and I just ordered that from Amazon too!!! :rotfl2:(Shhh... don't tell my husband!! He's going to kill me!!!:scared:) Anyway... I might be asking you guys LOTS of questions during this PTR about camera settings.

Wait.. wait.. I'm feeling left out. Now I feel like I must go get this lens. :) I do desperatly want a new one, so I'm going to reserach this lens you guys have!

A few general questions to you both though.. is it heavy? (to carry around for everyday use?). Does it have Image Stabilzer on it?

Do you love it? Are you glad you made the purchase???

Also, Karen hope your pain goes away soon. No fun! No fun at all!

Thanks! It brightened my day, that's for sure!

Yes, I want money to SPEND this time! Last trip I was pinching pennies and only bought a few choice souvies.

It is frustrating, I just have to focus on healing right now and trust that eventually I will be able to train. I'll walk it if I have to (I'm a fast walker) but I'm going to do it!

Yay! Glad you subbed! Ah, well, you have to CONVERT the BFF! That's what I did! :lmao:

I have spent time over the last few days reading both of your last trip reports and looking at all of your amazing pictures! :thumbsup2 I loved looking at them all as I just purchased my FIRST DSLR camera!! :cool1: I'm sooooo very excited and can't wait until it comes in the mail! I got a Canon T2i. The regular stock lense is EF-S 18-55mm and is also bundled with the EF-S 75-300mm lens. Now... you'd think I'd be happy with those two... right!!! :confused3 But NO!!! :scared1: I had to read about the prime lens that Hope bought... started doing research... and I just ordered that from Amazon too!!! :rotfl2:(Shhh... don't tell my husband!! He's going to kill me!!!:scared:) Anyway... I might be asking you guys LOTS of questions during this PTR about camera settings. In August I'm going on my first ever solo trip and I plan to take pictures from the time that I get there until the time that I leave! It's a trip for me where I can do whatever I want... whenever I want... for as long as I want!! That's never happened before, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Congrats on the camera and lenses! You are going to have so much fun!

Thanks!

yes! yes! I hope you do a PTR, make sure you come here and post the link if you do!

Wait.. wait.. I'm feeling left out. Now I feel like I must go get this lens. :) I do desperatly want a new one, so I'm going to reserach this lens you guys have!
First and foremost, we have different lenses, although they are VERY similar. Hope has a prime 50mm and I have a prime 35. Prime means no zooming, you gotta use your feet! ;) BUT, this is why they are so sharp!
A few general quest
ions to you both though.. is it heavy? (to carry around for everyday use?). Absolutely not! My 35mm is incredibly light, the lightest lens I own. Does it have Image Stabilzer on it?
I don't think it does have a stabilizer, I normally don't choose my lenses based on VR or not.

Do you love it? Are you glad you made the purchase??? LOVE. LOVE. LOVE my prime! It's on my camera 99% of the time now. I miss zooming, but any lens that will give me this sharpness AND zoom is way out of my price range ($1000 or more) so for now, my 35mm it is!

Thanks! I'm working on it! Tried to do a few yoga stretches this morning and I'm waiting on some inserts I ordered and new shoes! That should help.

Hi ladies

I have been following along nd was going to post a pix of my fav memory and then got sidetracked by something else :rolleyes:

But it seems I can read on the Dis more from my iPad than sitting at the desktop...so you'll get the memory...but have a mental picture instead of the real thing

I have so many wonderful memories from WDW and like most they do involve my kids or my husband...but I wanted to pick something that was all mine just me....

I have to go back to last yr and my first solo trip w/out my family w/ the Spectrum Moms what a trip this was...it was so much fun doing Disney w/out the extra demands and worries of the kids...yes I missed them...but this so different...it was so great to just be ME and let loose...

There are so many great moments from this trip...but the funniest for me has to be as one night we were re entering MK when the MSEP was finishing up and they had opened up a walkway backstage for people to get up MS via and we were stoked....there is a great pix of me just waving my arms and jumping up and down..."I'm backstage" :cool1:

Happy belated b-day :goodvibes

And here is a thought to consider...what about renting points and staying in a studio at BWV....that is what we are doing in Oct for our ladies weekend :idea:

A few general questions to you both though.. is it heavy? (to carry around for everyday use?). Does it have Image Stabilzer on it?

Do you love it? Are you glad you made the purchase???

The prime lens is so lightweight! It's one of the things I love about it. It doesn't look impressive at all and I've even had comments from people wondering why I "downgraded" from the big lens I used to use. :rotfl:

My doesn't have IS and I don't miss it at all. The lens is lightweight and sharp so I'm fine without it. There is a higher end (L series) prime which does have IS but I can't afford it and wouldn't spring for it on a limited budget. :confused3

I :love: this lens and have NEVER regretted the purchase. I honestly can't remember the last time I took it off my camera.

Hi ladies

I have been following along nd was going to post a pix of my fav memory and then got sidetracked by something else :rolleyes:

But it seems I can read on the Dis more from my iPad than sitting at the desktop...so you'll get the memory...but have a mental picture instead of the real thing

I have so many wonderful memories from WDW and like most they do involve my kids or my husband...but I wanted to pick something that was all mine just me....

I have to go back to last yr and my first solo trip w/out my family w/ the Spectrum Moms what a trip this was...it was so much fun doing Disney w/out the extra demands and worries of the kids...yes I missed them...but this so different...it was so great to just be ME and let loose...

There are so many great moments from this trip...but the funniest for me has to be as one night we were re entering MK when the MSEP was finishing up and they had opened up a walkway backstage for people to get up MS via and we were stoked....there is a great pix of me just waving my arms and jumping up and down..."I'm backstage" :cool1:

And here is a thought to consider...what about renting points and staying in a studio at BWV....that is what we are doing in Oct for our ladies weekend :idea:

That's a GREAT memory! Backstage! :woohoo:

We briefly discussed DVC points but decided against it since we'd have to book 11 months out and be unable to change our minds (or it would be more difficult). We are about 98% sure about our dates but with the PF pain Karen's been having we don't want to put all of our eggs in one basket. :confused3

Hi ladies

Great memory Julie!! :lovestruc I'm excited AND worried about a trip without my family. I KNOW I can have a good time without them, although I will occasionally have some guilt, but what about things like Wishes? I am DEEPLY connected to Wishes WITH my daughter, but I really want to get some pictures of it. I'm torn b/c part of me thinks I should avoid it at all costs b/c it might make me sad that she isn't there with me, but then again, I could take pics and focus on that without allowing myself to actually "FEEL" Wishes...if that makes sense?

Did you avoid things that remind you of your kids on your solo trip???

We did consider DVC rental, but I'm thinking we would have to decide soon (11 month window, right?) and then wouldn't be able to change our minds? Can you get DDP with renting points? :confused3

Hope, you are a really great best friend! A raw, vegan pie for your bestie's bday? Wowza! Karen, I bet you loved that! It looked yummy!

So you guys have a lot of decisions to make! It would be cool to just be able to walk over to WS. Hmm. I'm not sure I'd give up a whole Disney day for it, though. On the other hand, it might be worth it because you guys could get trashed! :lmao: Then we'll get to see all types of funny pictures on your TR when you get back! :thumbsup2

Hope, you are a really great best friend! A raw, vegan pie for your bestie's bday? Wowza! Karen, I bet you loved that! It looked yummy!

So you guys have a lot of decisions to make! It would be cool to just be able to walk over to WS. Hmm. I'm not sure I'd give up a whole Disney day for it, though. On the other hand, it might be worth it because you guys could get trashed! :lmao: Then we'll get to see all types of funny pictures on your TR when you get back! :thumbsup2

Aww, thanks Erin. Karen's a pretty great best friend and she deserves a treat (which I must admit I helped myself to a piece of). :rolleyes1

I'm thinking there would plenty of pics for us to black-mail each other. We'd be like Russia and the US in the 80s- no one using their best ammo for fear the other side will retaliate. :rotfl2:

Great memory Julie!! :lovestruc I'm excited AND worried about a trip without my family. I KNOW I can have a good time without them, although I will occasionally have some guilt, but what about things like Wishes? I am DEEPLY connected to Wishes WITH my daughter, but I really want to get some pictures of it. I'm torn b/c part of me thinks I should avoid it at all costs b/c it might make me sad that she isn't there with me, but then again, I could take pics and focus on that without allowing myself to actually "FEEL" Wishes...if that makes sense?

I completely understand why you're feeling some guilt. I'm feeling it also... and my kids are all grown up!! My 27yo ds and my 25yo dd are both Disney lovers too!! I will never forget our last 'family' trip. My ds was 16. It was our last night and our tradition is to take the ferry back to the TTC on our last night so that we can see the castle until the last possible moment. Anyway, we were standing at the rail of the ferry and ds started crying!! When I asked him what was the matter, he said "I'll never be back here as a kid again!!" OMG!! :sad:I got crying right along with him!! Of course I said "You'll always be a kid when you come to Disney" but I knew what he meant. College was coming up... real life... work... and he was right. That was his last carefree trip at his most favorite place!

Then... my dd and I shared a week at Disney (just the 2 of us) the year after she graduated from college. Even though I knew that she loved Disney, I didn't realize how much until we walked onto Main St the first night of our trip and she stopped... stared at the castle... and just smiled from ear to ear. Then she said "My heart is complete!!" pixiedust:My kids have the Disney Gene!! So how can I go on a solo trip!?!?!?!:confused3

Well, let me tell you, I didn't even want to tell my kids that I was thinking about it. :rolleyes1 I felt so guilty!! Of course I'd rather do a trip as a whole family (dh, ds, ddil, dd, and her bf) but I can't afford to take all of them and they can't afford the trip on their own yet.

The way this solo plan happened is that we recently found out that my husband is going away to MS for 7 weeks in August/Sept. I don't mind having alone time when he goes away... I've been a military wife forever... but we have some major medical troubles going on in my family right now and the thought of being alone this summer is scary. So we decided that if things with my dad are ok... I need to get away!! So, the plan is that I am going to go visit my dh for a few days in MS, spend the weekend together in New Orleans... then go to Disney for 5 days of alone time!! I really need this!!!! So I finally gave in and told my kids that I'm "thinking" about doing a Disney trip without them. I planned a family dinner and while we were sitting there... I said "So, while dad is gone, I think I'm going to go visit him". The kids didn't flinch much. They said it was nice and hoped I had a good time. Then i said "And I'm considering flying from Biloxi to Orlando and spend a few days at Disney by myself". Well let me tell you... all of the kids started smiling and got really excited for me! :cool1:They were so happy that I was doing something for myself. My ds, who hasn't been to Disney since his honeymoon 3 years ago got up, gave me a huge hug and said "Mom, you deserve this! You always do everything for others, go and enjoy yourself!!" My kids made me cry!! :grouphug:

So please, when you feel guilty, remember that sometimes we need to take care of ourselves in order to take care of others!! Your kids will understand. And of course... they will love the souvenirs that you bring them back!! :rotfl:

Hope, what a nice friend you are...and looking at that pie is making me hungry.

I want to stay at POFQ. Maybe next trip.

You didn't ask :lmao: but here is my opinion on staying at a deluxe resort. I've been to WDW twice. First trip we stayed at All Star Movies. I loved it except for the busses. They kind of sucked :rotfl: Last trip we splurged and stayed at Beach Club. It's a beautiful resort and the bus situation was much better and to be in walking distance of EPCOT was cool.

I'm a self-confessed hotel snob. I've stayed at Motel 6 type hotels but hated every second of it. So when I was planning my second trip to WDW I just knew that the deluxe resorts were for me and would be worth every penny.

The Beach Club is beautiful and the rooms are larger but I don't think they are worth the extra money especially if you're pinching pennies. For my next trip (hopefully for the 1/2 marathon :goodvibes) I'm thinking I'll go with a mod, probably POFQ and just visit the deluxes and save my money for all the wonderful souvenirs.

However, I do want to stay at the Poly and that might change my opinion on everything. The option of the monorail might win me over. I really hate the busses :rotfl2:

Jodi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter