We'’re out of it! … A summer 14 “MAGICal” Med adventure Day 14/Aug 05 updated 05/05

Yea! Another free trip, free for me that is. I have had the best summer traveling vicariously through my friends. Between disboards and Facebook, I have traveled around the world this summer. Can't wait to read more. Thanks for sharing.

Kate

Yay! A new report! Sorry I'm late joining, we just got back from a trip to the Carolina's visiting relatives, especially Otto. :)

Could have sworn I posted last night again, oh the joys of the traveling WiFi ;) Impressive airport food at Frankfurt and nice airplane view of Barcelona :)

I'm here! I cannot wait to hear all about this adventure both good and not so good. I can't wait to relive my own Med cruise experience. :)

Jill in CO

Joining in as always, Karin! :thumbsup2

I am SO EXCITED to read about this trip!!!!!

Your photos are gorgeous! I love the pictures of what you've eaten so far. I can only imagine it gets better on the ship. The picture of roast beef stulle make me miss German food so much.

I saw your post to Rosie so came over. Great start so far except for the private driver part. Hope it wasn't too bad.

Love the pics out the window of the plane.

This is so exciting! Can't wait to read all about your new adventure :coffee:

I always love living my dream vacations vicariously through you and your brother's vacations. :goodvibes

I like early flights because it gets you there at a decent time..at least here...I did an afternoon flight this past weekend and of course it was delayed and I never stepped foot in my room till 10Pm..it was a long day, but worth it.

We like that too, Jen, especially when we travel in Europe, as it gets us to a destination within half a day. When travelling overseas ...... it makes for a SUPER long day, especially if you figure in the time change. :rotfl2:

Hi Karin!

So happy to find your new report! I have been reading all your previous reports and am happy to catch this one while it is "live". Great start. On pins and needles here waiting to see how your driver was.

:welcome:
Great to have you along for the ride! I promise I won't take as long as some of my others have taken until the TR is finished. :lmao:
Driver news coming up soon. :thumbsup2

Hi Karin! Welcome back!:dance3: falling asleep now, but I'll be back to read - looks like a great adventure! pirate:

:welcome: Tammie and thank you!
We had a fun time! More about it coming up pretty soon! :thumbsup2

I'm here! :jumping1:

I can't wait to hear all about your adventures! We are getting ready for our own cruise, our B2B on the Dream, so I'm hoping this TR will help make the next 8 days pass a little bit faster. :teeth: I'm already pretty excited, I don't need any help with that!

Nancy

:welcome: Nancy!
I cannot believe how close your trip already is! You are going to have an awesome time, especially since you are going b2b! :cool1: Enjoy the time you are going to have the ship "to yourself". :thumbsup2

Love your reports and leaving for Barcelona next week for the Transatlantic cruise so can't wait for your next entry :)

I am glad to know that you came back to read this TR as well. :goodvibes Have fun on your Transatlantic cruise! :thumbsup2

That was quite impressive airport food. Great report

Great to have you here. There are some really nice restaurants inside Frankfurt Airport and we often stop there if there is enough time for a leisurely meal. :thumbsup2

Yes, another trip report :cool1:. Can't wait to read it, love all the pictures. I can't wait until March, because we will be in the same cruise!!!!:cheer2:

Yeah, you made it here too! I am glad you enjoy the pictures and hope they will bring some fond memories for you.
And YES, we are counting down to March as well. I even have some trip news on that to post soon. :woohoo:

Yea! Another free trip, free for me that is. I have had the best summer traveling vicariously through my friends. Between disboards and Facebook, I have traveled around the world this summer. Can't wait to read more. Thanks for sharing.

Kate

:welcome: Kate!
I am glad I can add to your "around the world trip". We had a real fun time and went to some amazing ports, so watch out for more fun to come! :goodvibes

Yay! A new report! Sorry I'm late joining, we just got back from a trip to the Carolina's visiting relatives, especially Otto. :)

:welcome: Teri!
You are not late joining at all! I have just started.
Oh, and btw, I saw the pictures of Otto and he is just so cute! :goodvibes

Could have sworn I posted last night again, oh the joys of the traveling WiFi ;) Impressive airport food at Frankfurt and nice airplane view of Barcelona :)

Jeanette, it happens to the best of us .... ;)
They have some real good restaurants at Frankfurt airport and it's great for killing time in between two flights.
I was so stunned with the view of Barcelona. It looked even more impressive live! :thumbsup2

I'm here! I cannot wait to hear all about this adventure both good and not so good. I can't wait to relive my own Med cruise experience. :)

Jill in CO

:welcome: Jill!
I really hope my TR can live up to your expectations, but it is awesome to know that you are reading along. :goodvibes

Joining in as always, Karin! :thumbsup2

I am SO EXCITED to read about this trip!!!!!

:welcome: Roni!
It's great to have you here as well.
The trip was really wonderful! We went to so many great ports and did so many fun and exciting excursions. Tom and I enjoyed it so much. :thumbsup2

Your photos are gorgeous! I love the pictures of what you've eaten so far. I can only imagine it gets better on the ship. The picture of roast beef stulle make me miss German food so much.

I am glad you enjoy the photos! There is lots more to come .... food and scenery! ;)

Joining in..........

I saw your post to Rosie so came over. Great start so far except for the private driver part. Hope it wasn't too bad.

Love the pics out the window of the plane.

:welcome: Scott!
I am glad you caught the link on Rosie's thread! :thumbsup2
The driver was not bad at all, it was circumstances that threw me off a bit. ;)

I'm joining in. :)

All caught up. I'm very excited to read this TR since I have yet to make it to Europe and always wanted to visit! :woohoo:

Such beautiful pics in your intro, and great seats on the plane to Barcelona! :goodvibes Early start to the day rewarded with some wonderful looking food. :thumbsup2 sounds like you were able to overcome the little blips without too much trouble, although that teaser about your private driver sounds foreboding. ........ :eek:

I am here Karin !!Thanks for the link

:welcome: Rosie!
So happy to have you here! :goodvibes

This is so exciting! Can't wait to read all about your new adventure :coffee:

I always love living my dream vacations vicariously through you and your brother's vacations. :goodvibes

It's so nice to know that you are here as well.

I hope we won't disapoint you! But then, we went to a lot of awesome places. ;)

All caught up. I'm very excited to read this TR since I have yet to make it to Europe and always wanted to visit! :woohoo:

Such beautiful pics in your intro, and great seats on the plane to Barcelona! :goodvibes Early start to the day rewarded with some wonderful looking food. :thumbsup2 sounds like you were able to overcome the little blips without too much trouble, although that teaser about your private driver sounds foreboding. ........ :eek:

Seems like I just waited for you to catch up as I am about to post the next installment! :thumbsup2 :lmao:
It was great for once not to have to travel across the pond, even though we both did miss not being able to go to the US. But we were rewarded with visiting some great places here in Europe. And even though we travel a lot around here as well, there were some great new places we visited and cannot wait to go back.
I am so sorry about the cliffhanger with the driver, and I can asure you, it was not bad at all. :lmao:

Hi Karin! I am really looking forward to hear about your European adventures on the Magic - we are going to cruise on her next year here in Europe (but to Norway).

Your food in Frankfurt looked really good, do you know where the restaurant was and what it was called? My next flight over will be on Lufthansa again (after Air France for the two most recent trips) and I am going to have a longish layover in Frankfurt after a very early morning flight out of Nuremberg, so any dining recommendations would be appreciated!

Day 1, July 23

A beautiful new city to explore …….. Part 2

We went through customs and looked for our driver. Yes, we had a private driver. First mistake of the trip.
Now, don’t get me wrong, having a private driver was awesome. :goodvibes It makes you feel very special if you walk out there and there is someone standing with a sign with your name on it. To be honest I would never have thought of it, but since this was our first cruise in the Med and I had not given the whole thing too much thought, I let some of the people on FB get to me.
There was talk that it could be very hard to get a taxi in Barcelona and that private transfers were the way to go. It took me a long time to make my mind up and book private transfers, but I caved in in the end.
So, on with our arrival. We left the customs area and there was our driver, who whisked the luggage cart away from Tom and told us to go ahead. Hm, yeah, but where, we had no idea.
He finally got ahead of us and led us outside and to his car, a lovely black minivan with darkened windows, which was parked right next to that LONG line of taxis.
See, here is where I had gone wrong in booking the private transfer, it was about twice as expensive as the taxi would have been and I had booked two more legs that way. Money out the window.
So we sat back in our car while the driver secured the luggage and off we went. It was quite a nice drive, even though the traffic in the city was horrendous and our driver seemed to need to squeeze the car into the smallest of available spaces to overtake other cars. After about 15 minutes we had finally made it into the street where our aparthotel was and right before we got there our driver had to break hard and then there was that “bang”. He had driven into the car ahead of him. :scared1: Take that for the start of your vacation! :lmao:
He jumped out and the two men looked at the damage, then we drove to the corner, where the driver made sure we got into the house alright, before heading back to figure out the damage.
We were told that check in was on the first floor, so since the elevator was very small

I got in with two pieces, pressed first floor and off I went. It was a bit of a chore to unload both pieces as it was pretty narrow there and then I looked around – check in, nowhere to be seen. Tom was getting off the elevator a few minutes later and then we discussed what to do. And while we still did so we heard someone come up the stairs. An employee of the aparthotel had gone looking for us and welcomed us now right here in the hallway, explaining that there was kind of an "inbetween" floor, which counted as the other first floor. He let us know that our apartment would be here on the regular first floor, but it was not cleaned yet, so he apologized for that, even though we were a bit early and check in had not even started yet. But he led us into the apartment where a house keeper was already at work and showed us around and we were floored by the sheer size of the apartment.
It was huge. A bedroom with two single beds,

then the hallway led into the living room/kitchen/dining area,

a large balcony going along the whole length of the room and the next one

and from there another hallway led into a master bedroom

and around the corner was a desk which looked out into a light shaft, so it could be used as an office

and around another corner there was the huge bathroom.

We were asked if we would mind leaving our luggage right there, and there was nothing against it, so we put everything together in one corner and headed down to do the actual check in. Another easy process, as we had done online check in. Once we were checked in the employee gave us maps of the area and told us where we could do some shopping to stock our fridge and he told us that he would send up a bottle of wine as a little apology for our apartment not being ready yet. So, after check in we headed outside to check out the area and were pleasantly surprised that we were right in one of the shopping areas on Rambla de Catalunya.

To be continued ..........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter