WE’RE GOING BACK AGAIN…TAKING THE KIDS THIS TIME! (All 8 days here.)

DeBestWife

Earning My Ears
IT’S ONLY BEEN FOUR MONTHS & WE’RE GOING BACK AGAIN…TAKING THE KIDS THIS TIME!

The Pre Trip…Planning. OH WOW free dining…Can we do it again?

Cast: Me – Stephanie – 35 / DH – Eric – 33 / DS – 13 / DS – 9

So after helping my brother-in-law and his wife with planning their honeymoon…and getting them in on the free dining in September…I had a bad case of gotta go back! We had already missed a chance at the free dining, so I tried to put it out of my mind. Then they brought the deal back around the end of August…“but honey you did work almost 200 hours of over time will you think about it?...PLEASE?” After tormenting himself over missing almost 10 days of prime hunting season, he decided that family together time meant more to him than those days of hunting. It really didn’t take to much to get a yes out of him…sucker…I mean you must love us so much honey…LOL. The good news this time is that we only have to make arrangements for the dog and cats. No problem! We’re going to Disney World…we’re going to Disney World…Wahoo! So we are at less than 30 days and counting!...AHHH…I have less than a month to put this trip together. So on to the trip report.

Day 1 – September 19, 2005 – Will this layover ever end?

I love waking up on vacation mornings! Everyone pops out of bed like a bomb has just gone off…LOL. In no time we had dressed, said goodbye to a very sad, codependent dog, and loaded up to go to the airport.
Our flight to Denver was very uneventful…but we were stuck there for three hours. That is too long…I don’t care who you are. DH started to have a bit of a panic attack about missing hunting so I sent him over to get a 20 minute shoulder and back massage. It made a world of difference for him and he was ready to go again. We had lunch at Pizza Hut in the airport, and the boys played with their gameboys, read, and wandered around the airport to stretch their legs.
With no more delays we were in Orlando…and Bob from Sunray Transportation was waiting to take us to the POP Century. We just beat one of the Magical Express busses and were finished at the check in desk in no time. We’re going back to the 50’s! Room 2124. The boys were oooing and ahhing over things that they had only seen in pictures. Although this was their 3rd trip to WDW, it was their first time at the POP.
We got everything settled into the room, changed into cooler cloths, and headed over to Everything POP for dinner. As soon as the boys downed as much food as they could fit in their bellies they wanted to hit the pool. Sooo back to the room, swimsuits for all, and off to find new friends at the 50’s pool…better known as the monster bowling pin. No surprise after splashing Mom & Dad for a while they started to hook up with other kids, and had a ball. After 1 ½ hours in the pool it was time to hit the sack…after all tomorrow it was off to the parks.

Day 2 – September 20, 2005 – Kali River Rapids X 5!

Since DH & I had our trip alone in May this trip was all about the kids. We did all the things that they wanted to this trip, which included no alarms! Fine with us. We started this morning the same as we would for most of our trip…wake up around 8-9 AM and do breakfast bars in the room while getting ready to go to the parks.
We were off to the Magic Kingdom this morning. We did some shopping on Main Street, and got the kids signed up with VMK. They were both excited to be “born in the World.” We had ADR’s for The Plaza Restaurant. This was pretty good food and a nice quiet atmosphere. The plan was to spend time at MK until about 3PM and then head over to AK for EEMH and dinner. After lunch we saw (in no particular order) TTA, Carousel of Progress, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Philharmagic and Stitch. Between fast passes and good luck…or is that planning?...we did not wait in any lines of more than about 5-10 minutes the whole trip. DS 13 picked up a visor at Philharmagic, as it was so very bright outside, and he doesn’t like sunglasses. It was navy blue with Donald on it, and it said “crabby but loveable.” How perfect for a teen boy and it suited him to a tee. On our way out of the park we were able to catch the Share a Dream Parade. Off to the bus for the AK
As we arrived at the AK the parade was just passing by, so we caught part of that one too. We also grabbed some water and ice cream, as we were all ready for a little pick me up. We love evening extra magic hours because, we can see so many of the rides and shows in a very little amount of time. This leaves us free to take time to smell the roses, catch a parade, or a street show during the day. We saw Tarzan Rocks, Tough to be a Bug, Primevil Whirl, spent time in the Dig Site, and ended the night with 5 trips down Kali without getting off the ride. OK so we did get off once to join another boat with more people…did you know that you get wetter in a full boat? We drooled over Expedition Everest on our way into Tarzan. They were running the ride, but with no passengers. We are all anxious for a chance to ride this on our next trip. We had dinner sometime during the night at Flame Tree BBQ. We love this place, and the quiet of eating down by the water is great.
After closing down AK we headed back to the hotel for some swimming. After all what is better than getting wet on Kali and then heading back for a swim…LOL. The boys enjoyed an hour or so in the pool and then it was off to bed.
We learned some things today. Even though DS 9 didn’t like roller coasters when we were here 2 years ago they are pretty OK this time. We also learned that DS 9 has a really great imagination…that said it may be our undoing on this trip! When we went on Stitch that imagination tried to get away from us. Fortunately he held it together long enough to figure out that it wasn’t really scary, the imaginers were just trying to psych him out…LOL. Even with the meal plan this trip is not going to be as simple as it was with just DH & I in May. (OK yea I guess we actually knew that, but it is easy to forget…LOL) The boys need a snack about every two hours as it is warm and very humid. Warm is good…humid is new…LOL. Over all a great day, even if it seems like we moved very slowly.

Day 3 – September 21, 2005 – Shop till you drop again?...or is that
shop after you drop?

Well today started like most other days with sleeping in and breakfast in the room. The plan is to enjoy the rest of the morning, lunch, and most of the afternoon at MGM. The evening will be spent at MK for EEMH
So off to the busses for a quick ride to MGM. We had ADR’s for lunch at the Sci-Fi. The kids thought that this place was great. I am probably done giving this place a try though. The food is pretty good, but for the 3rd time the service was just crappy. Now, I have only been there on the dining plan, and this restaurant seems to have the most attitude about serving people on the plan. In no particular order we saw: The Indiana Jones Show, played at Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground, Star Tours, The New Stunt Show, The Beauty & the Beast Show, and Tower of Terror. We also caught the parade. We really enjoyed the feel of this parade, and got lots of pictures. Back to DS 9…we nearly lost control of that imagination AGAIN! ToT nearly did him in. The theaming is so good that he was scared to death before he even got on the ride. That said, he did give it a try! He got off the ride and said never again, but then proceeded to buy a t-shirt in the gift shop. The shirt has goofy in ToT garb, and says, “You can check in, but you can’t chicken out.” He didn’t either, we were all very proud of his bravery, and said he never had to go on it again! Before heading off to the MK we needed a snack, so it was off to the Toluca Turkey Legs Place. For 1 Counter Service credit we got a turkey leg, chips and a soda. The perfect snack shared four ways.
OK so time to head to MK for EEMH. During the evening we did the Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Splash Mountain, Tommorowland Speedway, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, and of course It’s a Small World. We also enjoyed the Wishes fireworks display. Another bit of a frustration that night on the lack of counter service places available for EEMH. The place over in Tomorrowland was supposed to be open, but they only had one of the four parts open, and were serving only that menu. Needless to say we survived and learned a lesson…LOL. Our favorite is always pirates, but DS 13 is starting to think that all rides should be coasters or what’s the point. Oh gotta love teenagers…LOL. DS 9 was so pleased with the Speedway cause he was finally tall enough to take his own car…DS 9 says, “what a rush”…mom says, “what a goof!” DS 13 tried to turn the Speedway into a coaster of sorts by not steering and just giving it gas. I don’t think it worked, but he didn’t get whip lash either…so it’s all good…LOL. This was our first time on the Winnie the Pooh ride, and we all loved it. DH is a Tigger fan, big time so we all have a bit of a Pooh and friends addiction, and the ride was very cute. After the ride DH bought all of the Tigger stuff at the Pooh and friends store while we ate ice cream outside…LOL.
Well we were all tired and ready for some more food so it was back to the POP for a late night dinner at the Everything Pop, and off to bed for 4 very tired people.

Day 4 - September 22, 2006 – What’s a Momarautzzi?

Another peaceful and slow morning with breakfast bars in the room. The plan today was to start our day at the AK and move over to EPCOT in time for 4:40 PM ADR’s at the Garden Grill. It was also EEMH at EPCOT so we would be there late. I love to spend my day split between two parks. It seems a little less overwhelming to me, and you can take advantage of the quieter park during the day, and still enjoy EEMH. Just don’t forget to get park hopper passes.
So off to catch a bus to the AK. We went on a Safari ride with a little magic…nearly all the animals were out. Our favorites the giraffes were practically on the road. At one point they were so close to the safari vehicle that we could only get pictures of small parts of them…LOL. We also saw Flights of Wonder for the first time…and I must say that this was a great show…even if it was a bit corny. We also rode Primeval Whirl, and Dinosaur. When we were ready for lunch we decided to try out Restrauntasourus. In the past we have skipped this…after all it is just a glorified McDonalds right?...WRONG. It has the same great burgers as other counter services places, an excellent toppings bar, and yummy desserts. On top of that it is a lot of fun to look around. We sat back it the metal bunker looking place with the engine hanging from the ceiling. DS 13 wanted to know if he could disassemble the engine, as disassembling things is his next favorite thing to coasters.
Then it was time for another bus ride over to EPCOT. We had dinner with Chip, Dale, Mickey & Pluto. The new, new menu was great and very similar to the old menu. DH did have an incident at dinner that nearly caused Chip to learn to speak. We had been visiting with the characters and joking around with them…Chip all of a sudden went nuts! He was trying to tell us something but we couldn’t figure out what it was. He was so frustrated that we didn’t understand him…he even tried to get his handler to help, but we couldn’t understand. Finally we gave him a pen and some paper…and he wrote “chipmunk not squirrel”! We finally got it…DH had accidentally called Chip a squirrel. It was so funny, we laughed the rest of the night.
Off to see how much we could accomplish for the night. We saw: Soarin’, Living with the Land, Figment, HISTA, El Rio De Tempo, Mission Space (DH x 1 & DS 13 x 2), Spaceship Earth, & my favorite fireworks show…Illuminations. We had a couple of pretzels and drinks while sitting and waiting for Illuminations. The boys started collecting pressed pennies today…and they enjoyed looking for those machines. We had another neat interaction in the play area at the end of Figments ride…DS 9 was chosen to help with the Kodak digital camera show. He is such a ham so this was perfect for him. He got a photo of himself to take home. I was taking pictures during the show and the host had DS 9 pose for the “momarautzzi”.
It was a great day. We got to see a couple of new things, and enjoyed all the old standbys. It was a late night though so we were all glad to get back to the hotel and go to bed.

Day 5 – September 23, 2005 – Laidback…the best way to be!

We were all ready to take it a little easy today…so that’s just what we did. We started our day with lunch at Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge. I had heard mostly rave reviews about this place…and for the most part they were quite right. The food was great, but once again when we said that we were on the dining plan things seemed to change with our waitress. Even with the bit of attitude it was a good lunch, and I would not trade the dining plan for the bit of attitude we have dealt with. Changes are hard for everyone…and this plan is changing the way that wait staff is receiving their payment. I just hope that they all get used to it or move on if they don’t like it.
After lunch we headed over to EPCOT to see what we could accomplish. We saw the Voices of Liberty while we waited for the American Adventure Show. VoL always touches my heart. They are a really great group of singers, and they have a way of giving the show true heart. After the AA Show we went out and grabbed a turkey leg (not on dining plan this time) for a snack and sat around at the fountain snacking while we waited for the Drum & Fiffe Corp. DS 9 participated in the show. We then rode Maelstrom and watched the movie afterwards. Fast passed Test Track (DS 9’s favorite ride) and saw the Universe of Energy. It was time for food again so we grabbed dinner at the Electric Umbrella. While we finished eating the kids wandered over to Innoventions East, and we hooked up with them there.
The boys wanted to do shopping in Downtown Disney so we walked out through the International Gateway and caught a bus to Downtown Disney from the Beach Club. After a shop till you drop marathon through the Marketplace and a quick car building session at the Lego store, we wandered down toward Pleasure Island and the West Side. NOTE: if it is still running go back to the bus at the Marketplace. There was a line forever long at 11:30 PM to get back to the POP. It was worse than the lines at the MK and all the busses were arriving full as they were picking up passengers at the Marketplace first. Oh well once again live and learn and no harm done!
When we arrived back at the room we had a great surprise! Our amazing Housekeeper, Rosella, had been great about cleaning the room all week, and leaving small towel surprises. Tonight it seemed as though she had outdone herself with a darling bunny on the bed and a basket for our toothbrushes. After a couple of pictures we were settled in and asleep in no time with another great Disney day done.

Day 6 – September 24, 2005 – Did you know that you have to be a
giant to get on a Carousel horse?

Today was an all day MK marathon…OK as much of a marathon as we do…LOL. After some shopping on Main Street, and enjoying a street show, we headed to the Crystal Palace for Lunch with Tigger & Friends (Don’t tell Pooh OK!) This is one of our favorite restaurants, and of course Tigger is there so double bonus. In the afternoon with fast passes and hopping around the park we saw the rest of the things that we had missed in the MK. We saw the Country Bears, Big Thunder Mountain…twice, and Splash Mountain. We took the boys out to explore Tom Sawyers Island for the first time. We had always gone in February with the boys, and Tom’s was always closed or it was just to cold to go exploring. We also saw the Hall of Presidents, Haunted Mansion, and Philharmagic. DH dragged us onto the Carousel, as there was no line when we walked by…LOL. Why are those darn horses so tall? I think that I need a step stool next time! We did some looking around in toontown, and the boys rode the Barnstormer. Last but not least we took a ride on the Railroad. Somewhere in there we grabbed dinner. I grabbed chicken strips at the Columbia Harbor House for DS 9, and then met DH and the boys at Pecos Bills. DH got food there for the rest of us. It worked well, and everyone enjoyed their dinner.
The boys decided they were done with the MK and ready to go back to the hotel and swim…so although it meant that we would miss the Spectromagic Parade…it was their trip so back to the hotel we went. The boys swam for a couple of hours and completely enjoyed it. Off to bed after a wonderfully magical day.

Day 7 – September 24, 2005 – Aunt Sue! Aunt Sue! He has his
elbows on the table again!

Today is a sad day…it is our last full day at WDW and our last day in the parks. We had another slow start to our day…and breakfast in the room as usual. The plan was to get over to EPCOT to catch anything that we had missed, and then off to MGM for dinner at the 50’s Prime Time Café and EEMH.
We caught the bus to EPCOT, and in no time were grabbing fast passes for another ride on Soarin’! This is simply a pleasure to have at WDW…thanks for sharing DL. We had lunch at the Electric Umbrella, and DS 9 went out to see his favorite…The JAMMitors…during lunch. While we finished our lunch the boys went over to tour Innoventions West. DS 13 saw the home theatre demonstation and DS 9 played Toon Town Tag and won the most ice cream contest. Before we left to go to MGM DS 13 made another trip to Mission Space…and the rest of us went on test track.
Off to MGM! We were having dinner at the Prime Time at around 4:30, and it was a bit early still, so we did some shopping. We went the Prime Time for the first time in May…and had to take the kids this time. This is one of the best meals and atmosphere on property I think…OK there are so many good ones…LOL. We like to ham it up…and they have it down to a science. The boys had a ball, and DS 13 had to put his nose on the wall cause he was being a tattle tale and kept putting his elbows on the table. He loved it! This may rank right up there with taking things apart and coasters! Thanks Aunt Sue you’re the best! (OK yea we still love you too Cousin Phil…hope the move to the bar is going well.)
There was a special showing of fantasmic for EEMH so we skipped the first show, and got great seats for the second show. MGM really does the EEMH thing right…they have a great selection of counter service food that stays open late!...they have a live band!...and it is a party feel. Way to go MGM staff thanks for all you do! OK so when the evening was over we had seen One Man’s Dream, The Great Movie Ride, and Muppet Vision 3-D. We remembered to show the kids the key under the mat…LOL. We also rode Rock N Roller Coaster twice. Had to get the picture cause we all looked so funny! DH & DS 13 did Tower of Terror…funny thing DS 9 still didn’t want to ride again…LOL.
It has been a great vacation…and we are sad to be going home tomorrow…but we are as ready as we will be…and EEMH at MGM was a great way to end our trip.

Day 8 – September 26, 2005 – Time to go home!

It’s always so tough to have to pack up and go home. Such a mix of emotions! But since it has to be done we may as well get it over with so we can go play a little more. We dropped the bags off with Luggage Services…or whatever they are called…LOL. We then headed to downtown Disney for some last minute shopping and lunch at Planet Hollywood. This place has had mixed reviews, but we enjoyed it. It helps that it was lunch time and pretty quiet. All to soon lunch was over and we headed back to the hotel to relax, play in the arcade a bit, reclaim our luggage, and grab some food with the rest of our Counter Service credits for the plane ride home. I brought an oversized soft sided lunch box cooler for this purpose and it worked great. Bob from Sunray picked us up right on schedule and we were at the airport in a flash. The flights were uneventful, and although we were very tired it was good to be home.
Closing thoughts: The boys had a great time and were amazed at all that we were able to see. They had no faith in us…LOL. They were both able to say that they saw everything in the parks that they wanted to. DS 13 still wants to go to the water parks and Disney Quest…but knows that will happen on another trip. The dining plan was a little harder to work with this time but I think that had more to do with the number of people doing the dining plan for free than anything else. We look forward to our next trip as a family whenever that works out.

Thanks for taking the time to read our stories...LOL. If you aren't sick of us already feel free to read our trip report from May 2005 without the kids! It is titled Our Honeymoon Ten Years in the Making - All 8 days here. It is also posted under trip reports here at the DIS boards. We are off to WDW again in 80 days for another adults only trip in May. If tradition holds true trip reports will take 4 months or so to get posted...LOL.

Stephanie in Idaho
Thrilled that the 6' of snow outside did turn to pixie dust and we will be back at WDW in 80 days! :tink:

Sounds like a fun trip! I'll have to try the sleep in & late night thing sometime....

What a great fun-filled trip you all had! Truly enjoyed reading it - I'm concerned about the dining plan too on our trip. I've read mixed reviews on here about how the wait staff is upon knowing you are on it.

Now off to read your Honeymoon trip (not sure how I missed it before :confused3 ). Am so anxious for our trip in October - esp w/my DS12 (his first).

:thumbsup2

Liked your reports. Our son will be 13 when we go again. Did your kids enjoy the characters at all? I hope my son enjoys himself, being very "cool."

Thanks to everyone for your kind words regarding our trip report.

I have two answers for you on whether or not your 13 yo will enjoy the characters: :surfweb: answer number one from me...DS 13 got a kick out of the characters...but we hammed it up with them so he did too. :donald: Now answer number two from DS 13...well, I'm not really into the cool thing anyway...but they were OK...I would do it again. LOL :rotfl2:

So yea a 13 yo will enjoy the characters...but they would rather do coasters would be my guess.

Have a wonderful magical day!
Stephanie
Only 79 days :hourglass
Me :eeyore: DH :tigger: DS 13 :donald: DS 9 :stitch:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter