WDW with kids - I have no clue.....

DizBelle

DIS Veteran
We will be going to WDW with DH's sister and family but we don't have kids and have always just done WDW by ourselves. So, we're a little clueless when it comes to WDW with kids.

The players are Mom and Dad plus 4 girls age 8, 7, 5, 4 (and DH and I).

What I do know is that we are going to go to the Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue (DH and I always go) and are going to recommend Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique for the girls. I'm also going to attempt to get a reservation for the Cinderella character meal in the castle (with Akershus and 1900 Park Fare as backups).

Now, I need help from all you experts in doing WDW with kids. It's usually just me and DH that go so we don't know all the wonderful not so obvious things for kids.

What do you think these girls would enjoy?

from reading my gazillion guides and stalking the boards.

my first suggestio would be purchasing the girls a guide book. There are a couple out there tailored specifically to children. One is Birnbaums for Kids; the other Guide To the Magic For Kids. The books go into all the quirky little things at WDW like Hidden mickeys and pin trading

BBB- now has Hannah Montana pkg too (I see you already have this on your list)
Campfire sing along at FW
Pin Trading
Waking up Tink
KidCot stations in Epcot(i think that is what they are called)
looking for Hidden mickeys
The Kitchen Sink at Beaches n Cream

Hope this helps

While I should be taking advice from you, here's a thread I started for newbies. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1715551

Other things I've learned:
- pool time is important to kids. So is rest, whether they want it or not. We'll be heading back to the resort each afternoon.
- think about distractions while waiting in line. (I haven't really thought this one out yet.) While the Nintendo DS IS staying home, I'm thinking of bubbles and HSM trading cards and I'm not sure what else yet.
- I'll be ordering some glow in the dark necklaces from Oriental trading.
-Get each of the kids a fanny pack of his or her own.

I haven't mentioned it to my kids yet... we still have 6 months to argue about it.

sounds like me with the plane flight. My 9 yr old is petrified of planes and won't go near an airport

Sorry - I hijacked the thread but the provided by Aliceacc has great information!!

It can be the best of worlds or the worst of worlds...... Going with children is either FANTASTIC or THE PITS. It depends on the kids/adults expectations. It seems my grandchildren have more fun when we have a schedule. They really love the character meals as well as all the parades and fireworks. Take time to sit down with the children and ask them what do they expect of WDW. What do they really want to see. Then plan from there. Also put in some down time for you and your husband. You'll need it.

I asked my DD's to help out here and these are the suggestions I received. BTW, they are 14, 9 and 3 so I jaded it more towards the younger 2.

All of my girls preferred the Princess Breakfast at Akershus to eating in the castle. They all preferred the increased character interaction and a more laid back atmosphere. Their favorite is to hit the BBB late the evening before the princess breakfast. They get styled and a new dress to match their favorite princess. The next morning the style is easy to touch up and the girls get to be princesses for breakfast. A tip here is be prepared to change them after breakfast as it makes for a long day if they remain in princess attire.

Another favorite is the High School Musical Pep Rally at the Studios. This was especially a favorite with the 9 yo.

My 9 yo also said you can't miss BATB and Nemo - The Musical. She is really in to the shows at this point.

The 3 yo said her favorite was breakast with the Little Einsteins at the Studios. We always make 8:00 am ADR's on a non-EMH morning and try to be the first for this breakfast. That way she gets extra time with the characters and we are still into the park just as it opens. She loves to be part of the dances they do and really enjoys the morning.

All suggested Goofy's candy store at DD. They especially like to make their own Pixie Stick tube. The oldest 2 always try to get the largest tube they can get away with while the little one prefers as many of the small tubes as possible so she can carry them around. They also like to visit the scrapbooking store at DD for stickers and the like. I'm sure this has nothing to do with DW taking in excess of 2,000 pictures during the week.

They also enjoy the little bits of trivia you can dish out to them while waiting in line. They love to hear about the little known facts surrounding attractions and really love to find hidden things like the key at the Muppet show, devine in the AK, etc. They usually need a little guidance but they truly enjoy making the ultimate discovery on there own.

The best show we stumbled upon was Mickey's Philharmonic..it was outstanding! We did the Muppet's 3d in MGM and this show was beyond spectacular..the kids will love it..it's a must do for us! ;)

BBB is really expensive especailly for 4 girls at the barber shop on main street they can get haircuts and have their hair painted and pixie dust put in it for $13. Or they can just get it painted and pixie dusted for $5.

We just got back from our first WDW trip with our kids, ages 6, 5 and almost 2. Their favorites were: Buzz Lightyear ride at MK, Mickey's Philharmagic, dinner at Chef Mickey's, Winnie the Pooh ride at MK, Pirates of the Caribbean, the swimming pool at the Poly every afternoon and the parades/fireworks. I think the important thing to remember is to not try to cram "everything" into one trip. For our family, less was more. We got to the parks first thing every morning, when there were literally no lines. We did naps/swimming every afternoon. The other thing that helped us is that every kid rode in a stroller. That helped us keep track of everyone, and kept the kids from getting too tired.

Have fun!

We go with and without children. When we have nieces, nephews and assorted other kiddos with us I always buy them each an autograph book. I've not found a child yet (I know there are some, but not the one's I've taken) and don't love to get the character autographs. Also, be on the lookout for fun things to do (like the cookie baking in the Land if you're there at the right time) that aren't what adults would normally stop for. You'll love seeing the magic in their eyes

OK...here's my 9 year-old's list (and he's been to see the Mouse about 8 times now...yep, spoiled!)..in no particular order

1. Ride up front with the driver on the Monorail from the TTC to EPCOT
2. We did the Family Magic Tour at the Magic Kingdom...it cost's extra but it is well worth it! I still remember the look on my son's face when he got to sit next to his favorite character at the "surprise" at the end.
3. Watch fireworks every evening...his favorite is Fantasmic
4. Ride wise..., nothing roller-coaster-ish (except test-track which is a car)...but he loves Pirates, Haunted Mansion and for some reason the Jungle Cruise
5. Shows...gotta see them all. He loved Storytime with Belle when he was younger (he got to play the Beast one time, Papa another and Gaston another). Philharmagic is wonderful. He really likes the Lights, Motors, Action show and Indy Jones at MGM. (I like Beauty and the Beast.). We both enjoyed the new Nemo show at AK a lot...also the Bird show is very good...but Pochontas is "really dumb."

He also really enjoyed the Carousel of Progress...he's very impressed that Walt put it together for the 1964 World's Fair. He's very into Disney history and trivia.

We also have tons of fun looking for all the "hidden mickey's" that are literally everywhere. We started a game one day to see how many we could find (and who found them). We found 72 one day...and he found the most (and got a pin from a CM who was impressed about one of his finds).

Oh yeah...he also loves to pin trade!

Have a great time!

I see that there will be 8 of you. If you have trouble making ADRs for 8, make 2 ADRs for 4. Use multiple phone numbers if you have to. They can often work a little magic for you when you check in at the restaurant. (Or better yet, stop by an hour or so early and let them know.)

Also, get each person a small backpack. Depending on when you go, everyone will need a jacket, a $.99 poncho (from Wal-mart), a small bottle of water, (Refill with free ice water from CS restaurants. It's filtered and tastes better than the drinking fountains.), inexpensive glow sticks from home, special munchies,... With four kids, you have to share the load. Yes, I know that you'll use strollers most of the time. But, not always. Please don't turn Mom and/or Dad into a pack mule.

Have Fun!

OK...here's my 9 year-old's list (and he's been to see the Mouse about 8 times now...yep, spoiled!)..in no particular order

1. Ride up front with the driver on the Monorail from the TTC to EPCOT

We did that with our little ones. It was so fun. But, the monorail was kinda scary (in a fun way) to me while riding up front.

One of the best rides at WDW!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter