WDW when it is very cold out...for Floridians anyways

Gloves and extra socks! Everything is much more comfy when the hands are warm!

We were there years ago with a cold snap. Scarf around your neck helps too. There were people buying beach towels to use as blankets to drape around them.

Is that -40 F?

Well actually it doesn't matter, since -40 F = -40 C.

That's the cross-over point on the two scales, below which point temperatures in Fahrenheit actually read lower than in Celsius (i.e. -50F = -45.5C). Above that point, temps obviously read higher in Fahrenheit (i.e. 60F = 15.5C)

We're starting to sloooowly warm up here, but earlier this week we had an air temp of -37F with a windchill of -60F. Yes, a windchill of MINUS 60F. (Which is -35C with a windchill of -51C.) Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Insane. Windchill is only -11F here right now - warmest in weeks it seems. We've had a major cold snap.

I understand how the poster from Florida is worried about it being chilly to them though. If you're not used to it, you want to make sure you're dressed warmly enough so that you can enjoy it. I get that. Take lots of extra layers (including gloves and hats and extra socks... hoodies... and something to break the wind like a nylon shell jacket would be good too), bundle up really well, and enjoy it! :goodvibes If it's windy, gloves and hats will go a long way (especially if you're somewhere like EPCOT at night if the wind is blowing across the lake).

And think of us all back in the cold weather! :wave2:

Hi MickeyNicki--Love your live trip reports!!! You totally have my sympathy, because we are Texans and are unused to being outside in the cold. On top of that, my seven year old is always "cold", even when I am sweating. Nov 22 to 29, 2008 was our first ever time to experience really cold weather at Disney. My daughter, like I imagine your nieces will be, was so excited to be back at Disney she would not have even thought about staying in the room--she was ready to get out and brave the cold. One of the best things I brought for her was the very thin silky superwarm long johns that skiers use. I initially hesitated because they are a lot more expensive than traditional long johns and I knew she would not get much use out of them later, but it was a great investment because they are so thin it is easy to layer a turtleneck and sweatshirt and even a heavy coat on top of them without her feeling like the Pillsbury dough boy and then easy to take off layers in the bathroom as the day gets warmer. She definitely needed all of that plus gloves and a scarf and/or hat for her head a few mornings (we went to 7:00 am EMMH at Animal Kingdom one morning and it was cccccooooollllldddd), all day one day, and at Fantasmic (we took two blankets also). Don't forget to make sure they bring thicker warm socks--I'll bet most of the ones they wear on a daily basis are very thin.

Note: not a good idea to sit close to the bottom at Fantasmic when it is cold and windy, the mist will make you feel like Mr. Freeze. Another tip: the bathrooms were generally VERY warm and a good place to warm up for a few minutes. It was the wind that was the worst part, so anything you can do to cut exposure to the wind will help you guys keep them comfortable. And the temp dropped fast once it got dark, expecially riding the water ferries, so you probably will want to stick to the monorail/buses at night. If it's too cold to stay in the park for fireworks, here's an idea: One night we got pretty cold waiting in the park for Spectro and Wishes, so we skipped the parade and went out and rode the monorail to each resort on the monorail and looked around each resort then ran out and watched Wishes from the Grand Floridian dock at the last minute.

I second the person that said DO NOT ride Splash Mountain at night when it is 30s-40s-50s unless you are going straight back to the room or plan to be uncomfortable. Oh, hot chocolate was being sold everywhere you looked on carts and window service at Magic Kingdom, and most of the stores had lots of gloves and scarves for sale and were warmer than outside.

Have a great trip, and I am looking forward to your next live trip report!

if you're cold walking around, the speedway is a BAD idea.....I think the road is ice under those cars, not sure how that happened ;) I learned from experience......40 degrees, nice and toasty walking around, after speedway, we had no toes.....

I don't say this in a mean-spirited way, but I must tell you, I'm laughing hysterically inside at the notion of 60 degrees being cold. We're going to be at WDW starting next Thursday, and at this point in time, 60 degrees is darn near TROPICAL to me!:rotfl2:

It's so cold here right now that schools were closed for the cold. Not snow, cold. -11 this morning, without windchill. THAT'S cold...LOL!
Us too..heck, if it hits 40 degrees here at this time of year, we get excited. One time it did hit the 60's in nov/dec and some people were breaking out the t-shirts!!:lmao: :beach:

Another Floridian here who totally gets it. I was supposed to be at Disney this week and next, but had to bump my reservations down a couple weeks to get a good AP discount. I'm hoping it warms up to 70's for highs and 50's for lows by the time I get there. But that's the chance you take when traveling in January, right? Gloves or mittens and hats are vital when it gets that cold.

I've been there when it was so cold that the sprinkler systems created icicles on all the plants. The important thing is to dress in layers, but make sure you can remove some of those layers easily when you go indoors. For some reason, they really pump out the heat in the stores and attractions, and if you're too bundled up, you'll feel like Florida in July. I usually stick an empty Disney shopping bag in my pocket that I can quickly stuff a jacket, hat, and gloves into when I go indoors. That makes it easier to carry and keep track of. The last thing you want to do is get overheated, and then go back out in to the chilly weather.

Also, I've found that Epcot is the worst park to be in when it's that cold. The wind coming off the lake just goes right through you. We usually go to MK when it's really cold, because the buildings are closer together, and there are so many indoor "short cuts" to get you out of the worst of it.

All of you northerners have my sympathy. I remember the cold midwest winters, and I'm glad I don't have to put up with them anymore. I'll take a cold day in Florida over a below freezing midwest winter day anytime.

I definitely lucked out on the weather for my December trip annd got mid-to-upper 70s for most of the trip (even the overnight temperatures were fine in short sleeves,) and even some 80s on the way out. Not sure what the overnight lows got down to, but anything above about 65 or so and I'm in shorts and sandals. Of course, over here it's a bit more temperate than the Midwest, so anything below about 40 or so is considered cold, and I can't recall the last time we made it below 0F here, although there's been plenty of sub-freezing temps here this winter so far.

I knew I wouldnt get any sympathy from you northerners! :rotfl: :rotfl2: :) :lmao:

I have to point out that MegKate is in Caribou, Maine and did not mention that it was probably 25 below zero, at the time that she posted.

I understand that 60's is colder than you are used to but 'SUPER cold'. I don't think that a very good description.

Put on a jacket and keep moving. I promise you will not get hypothermia.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Thanks everyone! I have started packing today and have lots of warm clothes to layer up. I think we are going to do MK for Wed and Thur when it is the coldest..if the kids get really cold we are just a monorail away to the Poly but I think they will just be so excited to be there they might just tough it out.

I am planning on bringing my Dis tote so we can put the jackets and stuff in there...if the attractions and stores are heated we should be just fine.

Maybe we will warm up before Tues night...one can hope right?

We are leaving tomorrow and I am finding that packing is a nightmare...It'd be fine if the airlines didn't charge per bag, but trying to squeeze heavy sweatshirts + bathing suits/flip flops into 1 bag, stinks....

On the bright side, it'll be warmer than it is here in Jersey.

60's here is wonderful. When it gets down below 50's here is when it is cold. You have to remember here for those who live up north or west of the east coast that the humidity makes it seem colder then it really is. Yesterday the temps were in the 40's and the wind was blowing and it just went right thru you. I am 2 hours north of the world.

If it is in the 60's though you are good to go. beautiful weather.

I didn't read the whole thread but wanted to say....I think Epcot is a great park to go to when it is chilly. You can go inside one of the pavillions like the Land or Living with the Seas and visit all of the attractions inside. When you are done with one pavillion hop to another.

Remember do thin layers. I know at the Macy at the Coastland Mall (on 41)they had Cuddle Duds either at JCP or Macys. Cuddle Duds are really thin kinda silky long johns. I know the walmarts up here have magic gloves 2 pairs for $2 they look really small but stretch.

Kae

Remember do thin layers. I know at the Macy at the Coastland Mall (on 41)they had Cuddle Duds either at JCP or Macys. Cuddle Duds are really thin kinda silky long johns. I know the walmarts up here have magic gloves 2 pairs for $2 they look really small but stretch.

Kae

Thanks for the tip...I am actually headed to the Coastland Mall today...thanks!

We were there back in Feb 06 when there was a cold snap. It was in the 60s during the day and 40s in the morning. This picture was taken at about 10am I think? You'll notice my brother is the most bundled. At this point he was going to school in Florida ;) It's funny because if I were in the picture, all I had on was a sweatshirt and gloves. What I found is the best thing you can bring is gloves. If my hands and feet (so warm socks too) stayed warm, the rest of me was fine!

I've been there with daytimes temps in the low 60's. It's not that bad during the day if the sun is out. But as soon as it gets dark, it gets cold. I took a light winter coat and gloves and was fairly comfortable most of the time.

No sympathy here either. 60 sounds wonderful. Though it may have to do with the -15*F outside right now.

40 is not really super cold. Yesterday it was -7 here in PA with a wind chill of -28 and right now it is only 0 outside. That is super cold. I'd love 40 right now.

I'm live in Eastern PA, and if I was told it was going to be 60 degrees at Disney (or even here for that matter!) I'd be super excited. That is not cold at all in my opinion. Yesterday it was about -14 below zero.

I'd be fine in a sweatshirt, but if thats super cold for you you should bring a warm jacket, gloves, hat, REI sells a variety of hand warmers. But again at 60 degrees I'm not sure why you would need more than a sweatshirt.

I don't mean for this to come across as rude or anything, I just can't see 60 degrees as being cold so I don't really know how much winter gear you're going to need to feel warm.

I need to validate MickeyNicki - cold in Florida is different. Our South Central PA winters are usually a "dry" cold. When we were in WDW December 2007 we were amazed at how cold we felt in relation to the temperature. IMHO the humidity of FL cause a factor similar to our "wind chills." It feels colder!

That stated, we are also headed to WDW on Tuesday (I swear I overlap with MickeyNicki on a regular basis.) We plan to layer and have cuddle-dud pants. I'm trying to decide on coats. The down coats are lighter weight to carry - but will they be too warm? I'm mostly concerned about the nighttime shows. That is when I expect to be really cold!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter