WDW veterans first trip to DL

ashely612

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are planning a getaway without the children. Instead of WDW we thought about changing it up a little. What do we need to know when planning for DL? How many days, ticket options, meal plans, etc? What are some other attractions nearby? Is mid-March a crowded time? Is there a better time? Prepare me for the differences, good or bad.

My husband and I are planning a getaway without the children. Instead of WDW we thought about changing it up a little. What do we need to know when planning for DL? How many days, ticket options, meal plans, etc? What are some other attractions nearby? Is mid-March a crowded time? Is there a better time? Prepare me for the differences, good or bad.

Ok let's see here. You would have been better served to post this on the main Disneyland board to get a lot of responses.

First you need to understand that its a smaller scale. The parks seem smaller and they are literally right next to each other. Park hopping is truly park hopping by less than 100 yards. Downtown Disney is even closer. For a first timer I would suggest at least 4 days in the parks. You could go commando in three but I prefer to savor it and at least do 4 to 5. I would do the park hopper option. I believe they are running a deal right now for mid march. The only thing you would have to worry about is spring break. The bad for this time is there might be more refurbishments this time of year.

I love Disneyland. We were WDW vets who finally went to DL back in 2007. We fell completely in love with it. The meal plan is not worth it at all. They are really just vouchers for the money you've paid. Don't do it.

There are many rides better at DL vs. WDW. Parades, Fireworks, and World of Color are all much better at the land vs. the world in my opinion. Resorts and food are better at WDW. If this is your first time I would suggest you stay on property to get the full experience. The outside good neighbor hotels are good but feel like a motel experience on some of them. Do you know if your planning to stay on or off property?

Transferring from the airport to DL can be a hassle. Super Shuttle or Disneyland Express (not owned by disney) are two ways to get there. You should read HydroGuys sticky thread for WDW first timers.

"A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We are all very friendly here.

Mike

The one thing I would recommend is using John Wayne Airport (SNA) if possible. LAX is a zoo. SNA is much easier to deal with. When we got to security, there were two people in front of us. Rental cars are picked up on site and returned on site.

I don't know why more people don't use SNA, although it might get worse if more people did.

Long beach airport is also a much closer place to come into if you can. It's much smaller. I'm not sure if they have shuttles to disney, but a taxi ride would be much cheaper from there than lax.

I's suggest 4 days. Park hopping is so much easier than WDW- you can go back and forth no problems for dining reservations, parades, shows, fastpass times ;) If I had a choice to go early March or mid March I'd choose earlier since there are less schools in break then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter