WDW vet DLR novice trip

brymolmom

DIS Veteran
I've seen a bunch of people post questions just like the ones I have had being an experience WDW traveler but embarking on my first DLR trip. So, I have a BUNCH of information I'm going to share. Anyone who might benefit...read on:

Flew BUF to LAX on SW last Tuesday. Everything was smooth on the flight (even got good seats altogether - me, dh, ds7 and dd6). We rented a car. Got a deal for $173 for 8 nights (using code someone on WDW Budget board posted) so by the time we paid for 4 of us to shuttle - IMO, the car was the best bet. Plus we only did 3 days at DLR...Now we're in SD and finishing up our trip up near LA (to be near airport for way home). Anyway - onto DLR specifics:

The first thing that I noticed was the sheer LACK OF acknowledgement that DLR is even in the vicinity. In Orlando, basically from the hotel all the way down the expressways to your hotel (no matter where it is located) - it screams 'MICKEY LIVES HERE'. From LAX to Anaheim, even within a mile or so of DLR - I saw not one billboard/sign/indication that we were even going the right way (thank god for Garmin). My feeling was that it was more of a 'hometown' amusement park than WDW. Not a bad thing...but not good either - just an observation/feeling.

So, we get to HOJO and I have to say THANK YOU to DIS'ers who rave about it. We did love it a bunch. We were in the farthest building from the office, with the deluxe room and DID HEAR freeway noise. I was a bit annoyed because the reason we went deluxe was to stay in a quieter building (or so I thought). However, I have to tell you I am a VERY, VERY light sleeper and even I was used to it/too tired to care after the first 2 nights. Took a quick trip to VONS and spent $85 to stock up on food, drinks and snacks for the room and to bring to parks.

One thing I did not anticipate to the extent it happened was jet lag and adjustment to West Coast time. My kids are on a schedule and wake (at eastern time) about 6:45am every day. I thought since we had been up since 4am to catch the flight that they would just sleep longer and all would be well. But, no everyone was wide awake and rarin' to go at 3:00am on our first full day. Trying to keep them quiet for our neighbors and not bite each others' heads off for 5 hours was tough and made for a VERY LONG day. So, about 8:15 or so FINALLY arrived, and off to DL we go.

Walk from HOJO is excellent - no complaints.

We used a 10 day non-expiring ticket. The 'exchange' went fine - but it does take a few minutes (maybe about 5 - 7 but seems endless as people are passing you going into the park). We used our non-hopping ones for the frist two days (although the woman the 2nd day gave us hopping 'replacement' ones accidentally) and then a hopping one on day 3.

OK in hotel room and battery is going....will write more tomorrow.

I love reading these reports. Kinda gives you some insight on what East coasters experience coming to DLR. I'm subscribed.

The first thing that I noticed was the sheer LACK OF acknowledgement that DLR is even in the vicinity.

Metro Orlando has a population of about 2 million. Metro Los Angeles is about 18 milliion!! Nine times as many people. There is also 5 commercial airports within the Los Angeles area. Majority of people flying into any one of them are not going to Disneyland nor are most of them tourists.

My feeling was that it was more of a 'hometown' amusement park than WDW. Not a bad thing...but not good either - just an observation/feeling.

This is somewhat true. Disneyland is frequented mostly by locals, WDW mostly by tourists. Again, the sheer size of metro Los Angeles accounts for this huge difference.

Many of the non Disney area hotels do have a Disney desk for ticket sales and any other Disney related assistance.

I've been to both DLR and WDW and love them both but for very different reasons. Its a different vacation experience. I do love being able to walk from one park to another or to Downtown Disney or any of the Disney hotels.

I have never really wanted to go to WDW, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because it is too far and too expensive. Being in San Diego I can do one days trips anytime I want. I also do a lot of overnights. We usually take a yearly vacation to Canada to go up to my sisters cottage. My kids have never expressed interest in going to WDW and would rather go up to Canada. They like Disneyland just fine. I know there is a lot more there, but reading how everyone likes how close everything is a DL I get tired just thinking about walking around WDW. I get pretty tired at DL. Am I nuts?

Of course you're not nuts!

Of course, walking around WDW is not what gets you, cause you take busses and boats and monorails between parks. Its the heat and humidity.

I have driven from San Jose to Anaheim tons of times and I have seen plenty of billboards. Maybe you missed them? There is even one by the San Jose airport.

I am from California and have been to DL more times than I can count. Since I moved to the east coast I have been to WDW 3 times (in 2 years). This summer we are moving back west and I have plants to go back to DL for the first time in a number of years. I love to see how people compare the two! I love them both but DL will always have my heart since I grew up with it:lovestruc

As a WDW vet visiting DL for the first time this summer I am very interested in any info and observations you have about your trip to DL and San Diego. I love, love, love WDW :lovestruc and I can't wait to see DL.
To those that love DL and have no desire to go to WDW-- do not go!! Leave all the magic to us WDW lovers!!! ;)

I have never really wanted to go to WDW, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because it is too far and too expensive. Being in San Diego I can do one days trips anytime I want. I also do a lot of overnights. We usually take a yearly vacation to Canada to go up to my sisters cottage. My kids have never expressed interest in going to WDW and would rather go up to Canada. They like Disneyland just fine. I know there is a lot more there, but reading how everyone likes how close everything is a DL I get tired just thinking about walking around WDW. I get pretty tired at DL. Am I nuts?
Expense is always a consideration. And yes, for DLR vets going to WDW there is always a fear factor to get over about how it is different. Ironically you are concerned about WDW being bigger than DLR. While WDW vets are concerned about DLR being smaller than WDW. All I can say to both is - Disney magic is independent of size! Both DLR and WDW have tons of Disney magic!

Yes, for vets going to the opposite of their home resort they will have to deal with different logistics because of size. WDW vets often do not "get" how advantageous it is to have a small resort like DLR and being able to walk everywhere. They are so conditioned to driving to WDW parks or taking buses and shuttles that they make the mistake of staying too far away from DLR and missing out on one of DLR's biggest advantages over WDW.

On the other hand, DLR vets accustomed to staying offsite at DLR do not always grasp the special advantages to staying onsite at WDW and miss out on some magic there as well. DLR vets accustomed to fast, counter service dining also may miss out on some of the cool dining options at WDW. We have our own growing list of favorites that includes Sci-Fi Dine-In, Beaches and Cream and Whispering Canyon. The Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue was also a lot of fun!

All in all if you love Disney I would say it is totally worth it to go to the opposite resort of what you call home. Just do not try to make it fit into your home resort mold! :wizard:

The first thing that I noticed was the sheer LACK OF acknowledgement that DLR is even in the vicinity. In Orlando, basically from the hotel all the way down the expressways to your hotel (no matter where it is located) - it screams 'MICKEY LIVES HERE'. From LAX to Anaheim, even within a mile or so of DLR - I saw not one billboard/sign/indication that we were even going the right way (thank god for Garmin). My feeling was that it was more of a 'hometown' amusement park than WDW. Not a bad thing...but not good either - just an observation/feeling.
It's an LAX thing. If you fly into SNA they have lots of DLR banners. I also usually see them at Ontario airport too. Plus you do see billboards around SoCal about DLR. Other posters have pointed out that Disney has a lot more competition for attention span in SoCal than in Orlando. :)

Disney magic is independent of size! Both DLR and WDW have tons of Disney magic!

All in all if you love Disney I would say it is totally worth it to go to the opposite resort of what you call home. Just do not try to make it fit into your home resort mold! :wizard:

:thumbsup2 Wise words from HygroGuy--- as always!!!

Hello brymolmom! :goodvibes

It's always interesting to hear what comes to mind for WDW vets visiting DL for the first time.

Looking forward to your thoughts and observations. popcorn::

Glad to see so many tuned in to share about my observations. Hope you will enjoy my review and that some will learn from my trip!

So I left off with using my WDW tickets to 'exchange' for single day DL ones. As I mentioned, this went well but does take a few minutes. We entered DL at about 8:30 - 8:40 with a 9:00am opening time on Wednesday. One thing I did not realize in my research is that they let you into the park before opening time!! I was very happy to learn this but wished I had learned it sooner. They keep you at the gates at WDW before opening. But in DL- we were able to get in, and see and get autographs from 2 characters - all before opening! LOVED this! Definitely get there early if you can.

Being WDW vets, we started our day as usual - getting in one line and deciding where dh was going to FP next. Some people around us were looking at us funny and a few hours later I realized why - we didn't use ONE fastpass the entire day! There were no lines at any FP rides! Apparently a 'slow' day at DL really is very slow at least for the FP attractions. We did Indiana Jones first thing and while I LOVED it, the kids did not like it at all (too scary) - so that was our ONE time riding that one. Next we went to Fantasyland and did the circuit there. Toontown was next. Everything was going very smoothly and quickly.

My next DL observation is that it can be difficult to find indoor seating. I know that it is 'sunny' CA - but it hasn't been above 70 while we've been here and this first day it MIGHT have hit 59 or so...It was COOOLD. We did find an indoor place eventually and ate at the CS in fantasyland. $42 later - our bellies were full. We usually do more sharing of food and ordering waters to drink to keep food costs down - but we had $290 rewards points that I had slated for food money - so we weren't so concerned about it this trip. Next we headed over to BTMRR and Splash. Both were the biggest hits of this trip (and every trip since we love those in WDW too).

The only two 'frowns' of the day were:
I REALLY wanted to check out the Nemo Submarine ride - got in line and after asking the CM how long the wait was (another difference IMO bet. WDW and DLR - it was very difficult to determine wait times as they are not posted on all rides) - he said 20 minutes so we decided to wait. After about 30 minutes we were halted in line. I heard someone behind me in line talking about a 'boat breaking' but we were given no information at all. After about 5 minutes (almost twice the wait time we were told) - we left the line with no mention from the CM about coming back later or anything. The worst part of this is that since i really wanted to do it - we went to it FIRST THING on Friday, were told a 10 minute wait and got to the front very quickly....and then, yup - a boat broke. It did surprise me how long it takes them to get one of the submarines off the 'track' and to the side to continue with the ride. Since we were at the front we were able to ask the CM there what was going on and how long the wait would be - he said 5 min. About 10 minutes later (15 min after the first indication of a problem with the boat) we actually boarded a sub. So we FINALLY did get on this ride but was surprising that it wasn't communicated better and that boats break so frequently.

Number 2 frown was getting ice cream (my FAVORITE) on Main St. There were about 10 or so people in front of me when I got in line. And it was about 25 minutes from when I got in line til when I got the ice cream. There were 3 people taking orders and only 1 scooping and making the sundaes, etc. - no way could he keep up and obviously was not keeping up. This an a LOONG wait for dinner at the CS next to Splash on Friday gave me the impression that DLR is more 'laid back' and not the 'we get people in and move them out as quickly as possible' that WDW is so known for doing. Now, to be fair the man next to me at the long CS wait says he comes to DLR once a month and it 'never' takes this long. So perhaps we just hit a bad couple of days.

I don't want to end this part on a downer so I will tell you what I LOVED about DL:
1) LOVED walking from HOJO! Definitely love the fact that you can walk so easily from offsite.
2) Toontown is very cool!
3) Loved Alice and the sub ride after I got on it!
4) LOVED that it was so slow - the kids and dh went on BTMRR 3 times in a row and finished in about a 1/2 hour!
5) LOVED that Main St opens so early!

More to come including....My thoughts on DCA, Goofy's Kitchen, my thoughts on our first stroller-less trip.

Brymolmom--
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We're WDW vets headed to DLR for the first time in 25 days! I noticed you mentioned you were using your rewards points. Did you run into somewhere that didn't take them?

Shawn in AK

Can't wait to read more. 3 weeks and we'll be taking our first trip to Disneyland. Any tips you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

hay sounds great,we are west coast Disney Family that calls WDW home:cool1:. I grew up going to DL a a child and took my DS there for his frist Disney Magic when he was 8. Since then we have been going to WDW a totatl of 5 times counting this up comeing trip in July.
This we are doing both DL and WDW both In the same trip,and will be going back to DL for the frist time In 10 years,so I am so excited to hear fromm some one that sees Mickey through WDW eyes and can give that comparson.
You are doing a great job. We are going to be staying at the DLR so It will be Intersting to hear what your views of the resort when you goto Goofys kitchen

So this just about wraps up our first day at DL...with a 3 am wake up time it is very tough to make it late at the park - so we probably left about 3pm or so.

DD was too tired to even make it to dinner, so ds and I went to Mimi's (very nice - loved it) and brought some back with us for dh and dd. And an early night it was...

Managed to sleep a bit later (maybe 5-ish) on day 2. Luckily I had an early Goofy's Kitchen reservation - so we didn't have to wait as long this morning. About 7:15 we headed out to Goofy's Kitchen. To get there you walk through the 'central hub' between the parks and into DTD. They were stopping people from entering the hub which confused me for a moment - but then they asked if anyone had reservations and needed to get through. They keep you moving - no stopping for pictures in the hub area. Next was the walk through DTD. Total walk time (with a pokey dd) was about 25 min or so I would guess.

Got right into GK and took our pic with PLUTO. The food was very good characters were great - Mulan, Cinderella (who impressed me, asked lots of questions about which kingdom we were from and asked if we had been to her castle. When we said yes she pointed to my FIGMENT shirt I had been forgotten I was wearing.), Goofy, Chip and Dale. :) We left there at about 9:00 or so and headed back through DTD. They were not letting anyone in yet so we took lots of pics on the CALIFORNIA letters. And we rented a locker just outside DCA and put our cooler with lunch in there (figured after a huge breakfast like that we wouldn't want much for lunch so just brought stuff with us). LOVE the fact that you can rent lockers OUTSIDE the park area, so don't have to waste valuable time after you get in. We were let in at 9:30 - had to exchange our WDW tics again. And this time the woman gave us hopping tickets. We didn't plan to use them anyway so we let it go. Got in and went on Soarin before opening. Then headed over to TSMM - and it was CLOSED! Didn't open until noon and, no surprise, about a 40 minute wait was the shortest that we saw the rest of our time there! This is my biggest gripe with this park - TSMM really should have FP. Not sure if there isn't enough room for a FP entrance or what - but I was disappointed. Dh and DS got ONE ride on it total on our trip and dd wasn't feeling great so I waited off with her, so I didn't get to ride it at all! :(

Gotta go eat some breakfast now - our last day in CA! More later...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter