• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Vet at DL...PLEASE HELP!!

NHDisneyKid

Mouseketeer
I'm sure you DL diehards see these help threads all the time, and I'd like to play upon your kindness once again! We have 27 days until our last-minute DL trip and I feel so clueless. I didn't even know there weren't magicbands or FP+ there!

Can you please help a single mom with a 9 year old boy out?! What are "must dos," which dining packages are worth it, all that fun stuff!

We'll be there Mon-Thurs (4/25-4/28) with 3-day tickets, and are doing the San Diego Zoo one of those days. I'm not tied to any specific day at any park, hoping you have suggestions.

Thanks in advance! We're coming from NH, so won't have the opportunity to visit repeatedly, don't want to miss anything I'd regret :)

I think with his age & your time change help you can do all you want in 3 days!

I'd watch the night parade for sure. Maybe the fireworks. And probably WOC.

I'd skip finding nemo.

I love big thunder. Pirates, star tours & hyperspace we usually do. I'd try Matterhorn once. Hope the new cushions are better.

Do you have park hoppers? I prefer DL in am. DCA in aft. DL late at night.

One day it's best to start in DCA to get on toy story midway mania first thing. The. I'd get an RSR FP.

We love ca screaming, tower terror, ca Soarin.

I'd get on the rafts at least once.

These are all wonderful, informative posts. Changed my mind....staying for 3 days. I love the DRL Guide article! Now looking for a hotel to stay. Son informed me that its just weird being in the same hotel room. Thinking about a hotel suite that has a partition between the bed and pullout sofa. Any ideas?

I always suggest people that have not done DLR before take in the attractions and restaurants that Walt himself had a hand in.
I especially suggest the Plaza Inn for chicken dinner, Finding Nemo (for the original sub ride), Tiki room (with a Dole Whip) and Haunted Mansion, just for starts.

Can you swing Paradise Pier? Families sleep in the same hotel room all the time. I would put my extra money towards paradise pier (and early entry) rather than an extra room with only two people. That will get you early entry to one park or the other everyday and it makes a big difference in the experience, especially if it is your first time. Especially in DCA. Don't miss Indiana Jones. I happen to also love grizzly river run. Do a character breakfast (for a later seating). Its a really good way to see a bunch of characters without waiting in line if that is important to you or your son. Blue Bayou (inside the Pirates ride) is a very unique experience. I don't think the dining packages that get you a fast pass are worth it at DL. You really do not have to plan out your meals like WDW but it is nice to have one sit down reservation in the park each day. Definitely see Paint the NIght (you can find a place last minute by Small World). My 10 year old boy scoffed at the idea until he saw it and then wanted to see it every night we were there.

... Now looking for a hotel to stay. Son informed me that its just weird being in the same hotel room. Thinking about a hotel suite that has a partition between the bed and pullout sofa. Any ideas?

Look at the SpringHill Suites (Katella and Harbor), Homewood Suites (on Harbor, near the Toy Story lot), Hampton Inn & Suites (on Harbor, in Garden Grove, about one mile south of the parks), Embassy Suites Garden Grove.

My 9yo would say Space Mountain is his MUST do! I definitely agree with the Paint the night parade, its amazing, world of color too!

If you're a lot closer to FL than Ca, I would concentrate most on the rides and attractions that are unique to Ca.
There are quite a few of those. And of course you'll do the favorites that you know from FL also. Don't skip the Nemo subs- they are really excellent. And DL ca is very good too.

We just took DS9 to DL as a very last minute trip so I am no expert. We are East Coasters who were visiting family in Phoenix and DH said on Thurs let's go to DL on Sat. So I booked the Paradise Pier, 3 day park hoppers and a rental. We did not use the Park Hoppers at all. But at WDW we always use them. We had the dinner buffet at Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian, character breakfast buffet and dinner buffet at Paradise. We much preferred the meals at Paradise. We also went to the Jazz Kitchen in Downtown and lunch was ok but the beignets were delicious. Although, we did find the food options very lacking compared to WDW. DS loved the Racers and California Streamin' at DCA. Screamin' was his favorite ride overall ride. He also enjoyed the Matterhorn and Hyperspace Mountain at DL. It was nice to see the updated theming with the Force Awakens. We did not do the Big Thunder or Splash Mountain since we have done them many times at WDW. We did the Rapids at DCA and I got soaked! They are definitely not as wet as the Rapids at the Animal Kingdom. We were looking forward to seeing the fireworks from PPH but both night they were canceled for an alternate light show. We did enjoy our spontaneous visit to the DL and it is nice to say that we have been there. We'll probably be sticking to WDW and DCL in the future. (We definitely agree, if we go again we will splurge on the Grand Californian. It looked beautiful when we walked through.)

If you're a lot closer to FL than Ca, I would concentrate most on the rides and attractions that are unique to Ca.
There are quite a few of those. And of course you'll do the favorites that you know from FL also. Don't skip the Nemo subs- they are really excellent. And DL ca is very good too.
We're A LOT closer to FL! I've been to WDW well over 20 times, and my 9 year old has probably been 12-15 times.
I'm so afraid of missing something that's definitely NOT to be missed!

I'd try Matterhorn once. Hope the new cushions are better.

Do you have park hoppers? I prefer DL in am. DCA in aft. DL late at night.

One day it's best to start in DCA to get on toy story midway mania first thing. The. I'd get an RSR FP.
Completely bummed, but I think the Matterhorn might be closed when we're there. It opens for the weekend, then closes again, I think :(

We don't have park hoppers, but I could add them if they're a big benefit. We don't hop much at WDW, but I know I haven't wrapped my head around how small DL is yet!

Completely bummed, but I think the Matterhorn might be closed when we're there. It opens for the weekend, then closes again, I think :(

We don't have park hoppers, but I could add them if they're a big benefit. We don't hop much at WDW, but I know I haven't wrapped my head around how small DL is yet!

Hoppers are a HUGE benefit when only there for 3 days and it like hopping inside Epcot from the entrance to World Showcase. It's very small.

We just got back from our first trip and stayed at Homewood Suites and we would stay there again. Hyatt Place is directly across the street and it has a door into a room with bunks as well. Both are less than 5 minutes from Toy Story shuttle (.3 mile) which you can use for free. On your MM use Uber to be at rope drop because shuttles won't be running yet - we paid $4.95.

That is small...I might go ahead and add them so we can wander back and forth!

It helps because the FP are disconnected. You can have FP in both parks at the same time and they don't talk to each other. We time RSR for when it's dark outside (check the app for the FP return time) and pop over to DCA to get RSR FP in the morning for an evening time. Only one person has to be the "runner" with all the tickets. You don't have to send your entire party to park hop and grab FP.

You missed out if you didn't do Thunder Mountain - I think it's much better at DL than it is at WDW (Splash is better at WDW).

To the OP...don't discount a ride because they have it on both coasts - there are usually some differences between the two.

Def do BTMRR and Pirates...totally different than WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter