• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Vet - 1st visit to DL

GaRain

DIS Veteran
I have been to WDW more times than I can count, I just love it there.
But my niece is graduating from high school and I offered to take her back to WDW, a cruise or Disneyland. She chose Disneyland!
Now, I did visit the Magic Kingdom at DL once - almost 10 years ago. I went by myself for 1 day.

So, here is the point of my post.....I need your thoughts, your ideas, your hints and tricks and suggestions! Where should I eat? What should we ride? How do we tackle the parks?

I am staying at a Friendly Neighbor resort - just couldn't afford a DL hotel (wouldn't that have been nice.....).

Thanks
LAra

HydroGuy's DLR Guide for WDW Vets (linked above) is as awesomely awesome as it gets. Definitely start there! One thing though--the "magic kingdom" park at Disneyland is Disneyland. ;)

I third the recommendation to take a look at HydroGuy's thread. It'll provide a nice overview of the similarities and differences between WDW and DLR.

My first (and main) piece of advice is to come to DLR with an open mind and do not come expecting WDW. The two resorts are very different; both are magical and lots of fun, but not necessarily in the same way.

One thing that WDW vets often have a hard time envisioning is the layout of the resort. They're used to having to plan transportation (bus, boat, monorail) when going between the parks and/or WDW's DTD. DL, DCA, and DTD are all within walking distance of each other. The two parks are about 110 yards apart (one football field) and you don't even have to go through bag check when you park hop! I like to use Epcot as a point of reference. Imagine DL as Epcot's FW and DCA as Epcot's WS. DLR's DTD would be roughly just outside of International Gateway. Alternatively, the distance between DL's ticket gates and DCA's ticket gates is half the distance from the flag pole to the Partner's Statue in the Magic Kingdom. So everything can easily be walked to/between!

So, here is the point of my post.....I need your thoughts, your ideas, your hints and tricks and suggestions! Where should I eat? What should we ride? How do we tackle the parks?

In terms of places to eat, there are fewer locations at DLR just because the resort size is smaller. Do you want to eat counter service or table service? For CS, my favorites are French Market and the Plaza Inn (not the same as the one at MK). For Table Service, I like Blue Bayou (pricey, but an iconic venue), Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, and Carthay Circle.

For rides, I would probably start with the rides that are unique to DLR (e.g., Carsland, Matterhorn) and then try the rides that are similar and/or the ones that are your favorites. As HydroGuy's thread indicates, some rides have the same name, but some elements (sometimes big, sometimes small) are different.

Thanks! I will check out HydroGuys thread!!
I am used to WDW Resort and calling all the different parks by their name.
So I thought Disneyland was the whole place with 2 parks - Magic Kingdom and California Adventures....

So much to learn!!:flower3:

So I thought Disneyland was the whole place with 2 parks - Magic Kingdom and California Adventures....

The Disneyland Resort's two parks are Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. The Magic Kingdom was Walt's nickname for Disneyland.

I am a WDW vet as well and am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the whole Magic Kingdom/Disneyland thing too! LOL

No worries! It's not uncommon for folks to come to the Disneyland board and use Magic Kingdom to talk about Disneyland (the park). Aside from some ribbing, most of us know what you mean. :)

For me, I like to use Disneyland Resort (DLR) when talking about the entire resort and then use Disneyland (DL), Disney's California Adventure (DCA), and Downtown Disney (DTD) to talk about the specific parks/location.

I am a WDW vet as well and am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the whole Magic Kingdom/Disneyland thing too! LOL

And things are in the wrong place, too. :rotfl2: I was with the Backstage Magic tour a couple years ago and we were going to HM. I was fine until we hit the hub and then everything looked ... WRONG. Took a little time to get used to the differences. Not bad, just different. I'll be back in July for another ABD and four days after in the park. :cheer2:

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you!!!

What Figment said--Disneyland Resort has two parks: Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure.

Disneyland's historic nickname is the "magic kingdom", so when WDW was built, they named the original park Magic Kingdom in honor of Disneyland.

When you get to Disneyland, you may hear Cast Members welcoming you to "Walt Disney's original magic kingdom"--they still say it from time to time.

Does that make sense? :)

No worries! It's not uncommon for folks to come to the Disneyland board and use Magic Kingdom to talk about Disneyland (the park). Aside from some ribbing, most of us know what you mean. :)

For me, I like to use Disneyland Resort (DLR) when talking about the entire resort and then use Disneyland (DL), Disney's California Adventure (DCA), and Downtown Disney (DTD) to talk about the specific parks/location.

And the funny thing is that it's very common for people to call WDW's Magic Kingdom "Disney World." For example "Hey kids, what park do you want to go to today?" Kids answer "Disney World!" It's something some people just have to get used to. I think I used to call the Magic Kingdom "Disney World" also.

And things are in the wrong place, too. :rotfl2: I was with the Backstage Magic tour a couple years ago and we were going to HM. I was fine until we hit the hub and then everything looked ... WRONG. Took a little time to get used to the differences. Not bad, just different. I'll be back in July for another ABD and four days after in the park. :cheer2:

Things are actually in the wrong place at Disney World...Disneyland was built first. :rotfl:

I am staying at a Friendly Neighbor resort - just couldn't afford a DL hotel (wouldn't that have been nice.....).

One other really really tiny nitpick. Good Neighbor hotel (they may or may not be friendly but they are supposedly all good ;-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter